Taking the DAT today!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bereno

Smoking Monkey
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am just going over some of my notes and am going to be taking the DAT at noon today. I'm HOPING for a 20 haha. I will update the thread regardless of how I do and give my feedback on what it was like. Wish me luck! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, thanks the for encouragement and support, but I could almost cry right now...

TEARS OF JOY!! I got a 21/21/23 (AA/TS/PA)!!! :highfive:

PAT: 23 (96.2%)
QR: 22 (98.7%)
RC: 19 (67.6%) :mad:
BIO: 21 (95.5%)
GC: 20 (86.0%)
OC: 22 (94.0%)
TS: 21 (96.2%)
AA: 21 (97.2%)

Ok, I will keep the breakdown short so that I can spend the night relaxing and watching more TopGear...

PAT: Not as hard as achiever, but there were some really tricky ones in there! There were a few of the cube counting questions that I have never seen before... There were some cubes that were sliced in half; odd. Angles were tough.

QR: I'm a math tutor... I do it for a living so I never really worked on this section much. It had some laborious questions in there, but DAT Math destroyer pretty much covered everything in this. I only did the first 4 tests though lol

RC: Super hard... A lot of inference questions and long passages. I'm kinda bummed because of the percentage that a 19 in my RC is associated with (67.6%) but its still a 19, and that's all the school sees! Wohoo! lol

BIO: Like everyone says: its pretty random! I used DAT destroyer and Schaum's Bio outline (I really like this book!) and KBB. I think the most helpful was Schaum's and destroyer. I did destroyer twice all the way through (bio only) and it made my score! For me, this was where I spent the majority of my time studying (easily 70%). Out of the three weeks I spent studying two weeks of that was just bio... for others, it comes naturally, but for me it was pulling teeth (pun intended).

GC: I never really studied for this section... I did not have time to. I only had three weeks to study for this exam after I got out of school, and spent the majority of that time on Bio. This said, I did the first 100 problems in the destroyer book, and they seemed to really help as well. If I had two more weeks to study, I could done a lot better I think.

OC: I hate O-chem, but for some reason I do well at it... :shrug: Once again, I did the first 100 problems in destroyer and they seemed to really refresh my memory of the subject. I'm pleased with the results

TS: Overall, if I had two more weeks to study I think I could have nailed a 22 and MAYBE even a 23, but I doubt it haha. I will be honest though, it was a hard test, some questions were very vague and left me hanging onto some assumptions to get the correct answers. This said, the test was also very doable.

The day before the test, I just reviewed all the main topics and concepts in a very shallow level. Nothing too deep or intricate. I did not want to learn anything the day before, I just wanted to solidify what I already knew. That night I watched the latest episode of Top Gear and called it a night at 11:00 or so. Unfortunately though, I had to get up and go to the bathroom a few times in the middle of the night :( I think I ate some bad Thai food because I was sitting on the John quite a lot... :thumbdown: Other than that, I woke up the the day of the exam, and reviewed again lightly. I took a long shower, drove to the testing center with the top off with my music playing as though I had already taken it haha (i drive a convertible lol). I think the positive, confident attitude really helped me keep my composure and thoughts clear during the test.

Also, just for those who are curious, this is my breakdown of Topsore and Achiever (my primary mode of studying) As you can see, I did way worse on Achiever than the real thing! (thank God)

BIO/GC/OC/TS/ RC/QR/ AA/ PAT:
14/ 19/ 17/ 17/ 23/ 25/ 20/ 22 ADA test (1/21/11)
16/ 16/ 17/ 16/ 19/ 19/ 17/ 22 Topscore I (6/18/11)
17/ 18/ 19/ 17/ 20/ 18/ 18/ 25 Topscore II (6/24/11)
15/ 19/ 19/ 17/ 17/ 20/ 18/ 19 Achiever I (6/27/11)
16/ 17/ 20/ 18/ 17/ 18/ 18/ 21 Achiever II (6/29/11)
15/ 18/ 20/ 17/ 14/ 19/ 17/ 20 Achiever III (7/3/11)
17/ 18/ 21/ 19 Topscore III (7/5/11)

Overall, I am ecstatic! I honestly was expecting a 19, hoping for a 20, shooting for a 21! I only had three weeks to study, but I guess I used them well.

Thanks again for the support on this forum! I really appreciate it! :thumbup:

2011-07-08_16-37-18_938.jpg

2011-07-08_18-50-40_79.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks the for encouragement and support, but I could almost cry right now...

WOW CONGRATS! MAN! I knew it was because of my bday hahahaha :laugh: way to go! let me go read your breakdown. I just finished achiever test 2; im happy with bio but sucked donkey d...k on everything else lol damn achiever!
:laugh:

WOW CONGRATS! MAN! I knew it was because of my bday hahahaha :laugh: way to go! let me go read your breakdown. I just finished achiever test 2; im happy with bio but sucked donkey d...k on everything else lol damn achiever!
:laugh:

Oh thats right! Happy Birthday buddy!! Its a good day for sure! lol

I was worried that my DAT was going to be the only thing holding my applications back but now I am free of that worry! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
this dude took a picture of his scores in the car haha...

yeh I remember how excited I was when I walked out of the center too.... good scores :thumbup:

amazing.. only 3 weeks of studying AND you pulled it off man. high five:thumbup:
How many hrs you study on average every day? 2 months to go for me... then D day:scared:

this dude took a picture of his scores in the car haha...

yeh I remember how excited I was when I walked out of the center too.... good scores :thumbup:

Hell yeah I did! It was more of a shock to me because I was expecting a 19!! :D

amazing.. only 3 weeks of studying AND you pulled it off man. high five:thumbup:
How many hrs you study on average every day? 2 months to go for me... then D day:scared:

For the first week, I probably studied 6 or 7 hours a day with the occasional 4 hour day in between. For the last two weeks I took 10 hour days... I would study for 5 hours, eat, FB a little, and even browse the forums a little, and then hit another 5 hours of studying. It was grueling to say the least. Even then, I think most people who say they studied for 3 months probably put in the same amount of hours that I did in those 3 weeks haha

CONGRATS! CONGRATS! CONGRATS!:soexcited::clap::claps:
YOU are DONE!!!
well mostly with the application, right?

So envious of you! :poke:

maybe help me with personal statement when you get a change?;)

Fantastic! Congratulations. :thumbup:

You give me hope given the amount of time you said you studied. I'm in a similar situation -- with just four weeks to study. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Good luck with everything else!

That's some good **** bro. Wow, only 3 weeks. Really good ****. :highfive: Now go get laid!

Thanks buddy, I really appreciate it! Also getting laid might be a little harder to do right now... no GF anymore :( and I dont want to pay for it :laugh:

Fantastic! Congratulations. :thumbup:

You give me hope given the amount of time you said you studied. I'm in a similar situation -- with just four weeks to study. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Good luck with everything else!

If you REALLY buckle down, you can do it. Like I said, I spent about 10 hours a day of solid studying. The motivation was there because it had to be. Now stop lollygagging on the forums and read about some gastrulation! ha