DAT Studying While Taking Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentistmo

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently taking ochem 2, microbiology, and 2 online electives. With more time on my hands, I have decided to start studying for the DAT in hopes of taking it in January 2024. The problem I am facing is that I do not know what kind of schedule to follow and whether I should invest in DAT Bootcamp this early. Should I just take this time to watch free videos or do free practice questions on QR, RC, PAT, and genchem to keep that content fresh on my mind? Then during winter break crack down on biology, ochem, and other subjects I am struggling with using DAT Bootcamp? But then I would need to figure out when to register for the exam. I plan on applying this next cycle so either way I would need to study during the classes, but next semester I have a lighter class schedule so maybe get DAT bootcamp during winter break and go full studying mode for 3 months and take it March. But I also want to take advantage of my free time right now so am unsure of what to do.

Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Dentistmo
Preparing for the DAT Exam can indeed be a real challenge. You should make sure to prioritize your classes and maintain a high GPA. Organic Chemistry and microbiology are particularly tough, so make sure to excel in those. If you have extra time on your hands, consider reviewing Biology, which can feel overwhelming due to the wide range of topics covered. Math is another common struggle, especially if you haven't touched it since high school. Luckily, there are many free online resources, like Purple Math, that can help you out. Create a realistic study schedule that fits your availability and stick to it consistently. Avoid overwhelming yourself with an unrealistic plan. Because you are asking questions and seek guidance shows me that you're a dedicated student aiming for a great DAT score and avoiding a retake. Just so you know, many students take the DAT as late as September and still get accepted in the next cycle. Good luck with your studies and on the DAT exam!

Nancy, co/owner, DAT Destroyers

I did the 12 week booster schedule from Oct into January. So in all, a little more than 12 weeks for some extra studying that I felt I needed. I was balancing a full time job, o chem 1 and micro, along with raising a family. It takes discipline but it worked well for me since I didn't have to study over the summer and submit my application late. Also I grinded hard during the "break" between fall and spring semester. I say "break" because I was still extremely busy with my actual job and family. I don't know your situation but I highly recommend studying over the next couple months and knock out the DAT early if you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the DAT while taking Anatomy (& cadaver lab), Biochemistry, & 2 other general credit classes at my university (we're on the quarter system, so it's definitely a faster pace than a regular semester system). The day that you purchase / register for the DAT is a strategic decision. The day you purchase it (if memory serves correct), you have 6 months from that date to take the exam. So, if you wanted to take it, ideally, in Jan 2024, then you should purchase it soon, within October (which will give you a window to push the test back as far as March 2024, in case you didn't feel prepared / just wanted some more time to study)

As for studying material / schedule, this is highly subjective and depends on what prerequisites you've taken already. For me personally, I focused on PAT a lot in the beginning, as it is (hopefully) the only new subject. Certainly, as it is the case that you are taking classes, get access to DAT Bootcamp immediately and start drilling practice questions. Practice, Practice, Practice!!!

I didn't follow anyone's study schedule, I did one subject a day (# of hours varies on your schedule, just make sure you're doing every single practice question available) and rotated daily, taking a practice test every weekend (at the same time as my scheduled DAT) for 10 weekends before the test! Some of my methods might work for you, some won't, it's all so subjective. Good luck!

I took the DAT while taking Anatomy (& cadaver lab), Biochemistry, & 2 other general credit classes at my university (we're on the quarter system, so it's definitely a faster pace than a regular semester system). The day that you purchase / register for the DAT is a strategic decision. The day you purchase it (if memory serves correct), you have 6 months from that date to take the exam. So, if you wanted to take it, ideally, in Jan 2024, then you should purchase it soon, within October (which will give you a window to push the test back as far as March 2024, in case you didn't feel prepared / just wanted some more time to study)

As for studying material / schedule, this is highly subjective and depends on what prerequisites you've taken already. For me personally, I focused on PAT a lot in the beginning, as it is (hopefully) the only new subject. Certainly, as it is the case that you are taking classes, get access to DAT Bootcamp immediately and start drilling practice questions. Practice, Practice, Practice!!!

I didn't follow anyone's study schedule, I did one subject a day (# of hours varies on your schedule, just make sure you're doing every single practice question available) and rotated daily, taking a practice test every weekend (at the same time as my scheduled DAT) for 10 weekends before the test! Some of my methods might work for you, some won't, it's all so subjective. Good luck!
I congratulate you on not following anyone's study schedule. It is great advice and I encourage students to make a study schedule that suits their own needs.

University of Utah Virtual Pre-Dental Day
ASDA Pre-Dental Day 4.8.2023 (2) (1).png

Reactions: 1 users