NEW Kaplan Step 1 High Yield Course vs. Doctors in Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedoctor8706

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have searched the threads, but I have not seen any relevant threads to this question.

Anyways, this year, Kaplan has released a new course called the Step I High Yield course. All of my friends who are now third years have never heard of it before. It sounds very similar to doctor's in training. It provides about 45 hours of lecture and a high yield course pack. It references specific pages in FA. What it has that is much better that DIT is access to the qbank, you can view the lectures now until test time, and for AMA members like myself, it is much cheaper. ($489)

On the other hand, DIT seems to specifically hit FA, which I hear is more important for Step I. I don't know if Kaplan references FA, or if it helps you through it like DIT does. DIT seems to be praised by former test takers, but I don't know if it's better than this Kaplan course since no one seems to be able to talk about it. DIT would require the purchase of a qbank, such a Uworld.

Now, I plan on using UWorld regardless of what I buy, but Kaplan would give me 2 Qbanks, plus unlimited lecture reviews to use for while I'm in curriculum work.

I guess my question is, is this new Kaplan High Yield course worth using instead of DIT? Is DIT worth the extra $250 I would need to spend? Which is structured better for Step I?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. If I order DIT by 3 PM tomorrow, I get a $165 discount. Just need to decide. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

dude, forget kaplan. they're totally outdated. kaplan qbank is horrible and will make you lose your mind. on the other hand DIT puts things simple, makes wise connections and forces you to learn by reinforcement w/ their study guide. use uw or rx as qbank (didn't use the latter but have read very positive reviews here in forum)

and don't forget to listen to goljan when go to bed to have good dreams lol

I don't know if this will still help you as your deadline has already passed, but figured I'd go ahead and post for everyone else what I found.

I just watched part of the example autoimmune and connective tissue disorders video Kaplan posted on their site for the high yield course (go check it out for yourself: http://www.kaptest.com/Medical-Licensing/Step1/s1-high-yield.html). I pulled out my First Aid at the same time and flipped to the page it referenced at the bottom of the video and I was able to follow right along. Lecturer even made some small connections during it that I would have had to make myself, which seemed promising in the study approach of having someone read First Aid to you.

So with that said, disclaimer is that I only watched about half of the video and this is only 1 of the sections, so can't guarantee they're all the same.

Pros:
By the looks of it the new Kaplan high yield course is very similar to DIT with someone walking you through First Aid. Plus its cheaper, you get a Qbank with it (altho definitely not as highly ranked in the past as one like USMLEWorld), and you have access to it until test time (vs DIT where you only get 30 days to go through 75 hrs of lecture and can only watch 2x max).

Cons:
The downsides I have found so far for the Kaplan high yield is that A) its new, so nobody really knows yet how well it works or not. B) as of right now it won't include 2012 First Aid (not sure if that will change or not, just going by the example video). C) you get unlimited access till test time, so it takes away the motivation to stay on a tight schedule like the DIT forces you to do.

Personally, I LOVE DIT bc he tells you stuff ON PREVIOUS tests, like whats high yield and not, for example the 3 TNF inhibitors, he says just know what they are and make know that you can treat the HLA-B27 diseases. Whereas kaplan's video (just watched the trailer now) goes into details about them. Which, granted, might be good in the long run, but as for this test, why clutter your brain with excess information when there is SO much to begin with.

Even if your test isn't for a while, i would still do DIT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I ended up going with DIT just because it is the tried and true method, and really seams to emphasis/test going through First Aid 2012 and USMLE World. Maybe Kaplan HY will be the better choice in a couple years, but for right now it just looks like an attempt by Kaplan to take some DIT customers.

I red the Book before doing DIT and I can say to you that my understanding of the Book was below 0 when compared after doing DIT. it really helped me to understand the Book... If you are a great student and know all the concepts behind it or have time to read brs physio and rr pathology don't buy the course but if you're struggling like me do DIT now

and listen to goljan when go to bed

I red the Book before doing DIT and I can say to you that my understanding of the Book was below 0 when compared after doing DIT. it really helped me to understand the Book... If you are a great student and know all the concepts behind it or have time to read brs physio and rr pathology don't buy the course but if you're struggling like me do DIT now

and listen to goljan when go to bed

Random question about goljan, what exactly is it? Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know and can't find it on Amazon or anything.

Dr. Goljan is THE man. He's the pathology chair at Oklahoma. He wrote the Rapid Review for Path (and audio) and for Biochem. You can get his audio lectures/slides/books online. Definitely a great/entertaining guy to listen to - he explains core concepts really well IMO.

he is THE teacher. I never had a teacher as good as him unfortunately it would make things so easier LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
I purchased both of them to get the discount, now I am trying to figure out which one to cancel. Or should I keep them both? Could I do kaplan first, since I have unlimited access, then do DIT closer to test time?

I purchased both of them to get the discount, now I am trying to figure out which one to cancel. Or should I keep them both? Could I do kaplan first, since I have unlimited access, then do DIT closer to test time?

Will you have time to do both? I want your brain power...

it's basically an illegal bootleg version of the lectures he gave about 10 years ago for kaplan, was never intended to be a standalone prep.

oooohhhhhh. i thought people weren't allowed to discuss bootleg stuff on here, that's why i was confused.

i just got the program , i did DIT few months ago before my schools NBME comp exam that we had to pass before we can sit for step one ... my test is in 6 weeks , i'm just gonna do this along with my 1st aid + Uworld+pathoma + DIT Qs ... Goal is 220 :thumbup:

Nice commentary--unfortunately we won't know how good Kaplan's new format is until after this year--I'm gong with DIT (better safe than sorry). I've heard good things about it from others who have taken it. Plus the limited access time FORCES you to be diligent and on top of things. I think the external motivation will make it worth it.

If anyone has had positive experiences with Kaplan, let's hear them!

Last edited:
DIT all the way. I had actually had the Kaplan videos along with their Qbank. It's horrible compared to a DIT/UWorld combo. Kaplan videos are monotonous and full of low-yield info. Their Qbank is very poorly written. The questions don't test your ability to make connections and see patterns as UWorld and Step 1 do. Kaplan's idea of a tough question isn't linking two concepts but to ask you some random detail about a concept. Thumbs down to Kaplan. DIT was a good choice.