Plan B: Time to consider it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pethuman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Second year applicant, 2/4 rejections. It's not looking good. I had a Plan B ready: applying to graduate school. But I am working a job at a measly $10/hr and I seriously can't afford to go on like this. I have a degree but I'm sitting in an entry-level job and I've been looking for a better opportunity for 6 months with no luck.

So I'm jumping the gun and I'm filling out an application for grad school and I'm having a really hard time trying to sound excited for the program in my essay. I hate filling out apps with a passion now. Somehow I have to pretend that I'm not heartbroken about having to go this route. It'll be a fine and rewarding career, I'm sure, but it's not what I really wanted.

The thought of having to find yet more LORs makes me want to put pencils in my eyes. Haven't decided yet if I want to go again for vet app round 3 if I get all rejections this year again.

Anyone else having to seriously consider their plan B?

Members don't see this ad.

my plan B was always "strengthen application credentials and apply again"

I'm not sure what it says about me that I thought this thread was going to be about something *completely* different.

Anyway, my plan B was the same as New Foundland. I got rejected my first year, but I had already started working on strengthening my app for the next cycle before I even got rejected. I did the same thing the second go-around (but got in).

Maybe it doesn't help other people, but turning my attention to working on my app 'for the next go around' really took my mind off the process and helped reduce my anxiety.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what it says about me that I thought this thread was going to be about something *completely* different.

Anyway, my plan B was the same as New Foundland. I got rejected my first year, but I had already started working on strengthening my app for the next cycle before I even got rejected. I did the same thing the second go-around (but got in).

Maybe it doesn't help other people, but turning my attention to working on my app 'for the next go around' really took my mind off the process and helped reduce my anxiety.

To "LetItSnow"... what kind of steps did you take to strengthen your app? Where were your weak points? I've already started working on my app to CSU's post-bacc program; when I met with an advisor at CSU she mentioned my best bet if I do not get in first go-round would be a master's heavy in science. I've not heard word from CSU yet, but I would like to be prepared in case that dreaded email comes. Just curious what improved your app in round two?

To "LetItSnow"... what kind of steps did you take to strengthen your app? Where were your weak points? [...] Just curious what improved your app in round two?

Experience.

I was not in the vet industry before applying, so I didn't have those thousands of hours that many people seem to bring. I don't remember exactly, but I would guess I had 250 total vet hours my first go-around?

So over that next year I increased it through volunteering and shadowing. I also expanded the diversity a bit by including a tiny bit of time with a farm vet. Oh, and an equine doc. And I did a year's worth of wildlife rehab.

FWIW, I am still doing that sort of thing. I do every vaccination clinic, wellness clinic, etc. that I can find time for (usually 1-2/month). I still go back to the clinic I shadowed at once a month or so (hoping to turn that into a summer job or more down the road). Volunteering shouldn't stop once you get in school. :)

The other thing I did is cut down my LORs from 5 'pretty good' ones to 3 very focused ones. I got one from a professor. One from an inside source at my school's hospital (where I volunteered). One from the vet I shadowed with.

Last, I just plain wrote it better the second time around. It's not like I blew it off the first time, but... I didn't take it as seriously as I should have. I didn't have anyone review my PS. I was sloppy in how I filled out some of the rest. The second time I put much more effort into the presentation.

I think anyone who is honest with themselves will have a reasonable idea of what their weaknesses are, and you do what you can to address them. If you can't address them directly, you just make yourself that much stronger somewhere else. And, if/when you get rejected, you talk to the schools to find out why - and put a plan of action in place based on that.

So I'm jumping the gun and I'm filling out an application for grad school and I'm having a really hard time trying to sound excited for the program in my essay. I hate filling out apps with a passion now. Somehow I have to pretend that I'm not heartbroken about having to go this route. It'll be a fine and rewarding career, I'm sure, but it's not what I really wanted.

don't start a graduate degree with this mindset. don't do it. you will either not finish or you will finish completely disenchanted.

Second year applicant, 2/4 rejections. It's not looking good. I had a Plan B ready: applying to graduate school. But I am working a job at a measly $10/hr and I seriously can't afford to go on like this. I have a degree but I'm sitting in an entry-level job and I've been looking for a better opportunity for 6 months with no luck.

The thought of having to find yet more LORs makes me want to put pencils in my eyes. Haven't decided yet if I want to go again for vet app round 3 if I get all rejections this year again.

I think you mentioned on another thread that your GPA was a 3.4 - seriously, that is not a bad GPA and should not be keeping you out of vet school. Is there something else in your application that is pulling you down, like not very diverse experience or poor LORs? If you did file reviews last year, what did they say about you? If it is your GPA that is causing the problems, maybe look into the 1-year master of physiology we have to show you're capable of the coursework- I have a friend doing it right now I could put you in touch with if you want a first-hand opinion.

(Also, have you talked to Dr. Trivedi? I'm pretty sure she'll work with alums and maybe she could point out something in your application you missed).

I'm not in vet school and don't have any deep life experiences to share, but I just can't imagine that you'll be happy in a career if you don't feel excited about it even at the very beginning. That sounds like a recipe for you to be back at these forums in ten years, yapping at the 25-year olds asking if they're too old to apply to vet school. :laugh:

I agree with the others, if you aren't into it, a graduate school is not the plan to go with. I'd try and meet with the schools you got rejected from to see why and then really take what they have to say to heart and make the changes they recommend. That is my plan if I don't get in this year. I have a feeling if I don't get in it will be like LIS and be because of lack of experience, but who knows, maybe something else I hadn't considered. So, I plan to meet with them and find out if I don't get in so next application cycle I'll be more prepared. I don't think I could give up after just one or two application cycles. I know it's hard, but the reason it's hard to keep going through the applications and waiting is because you want it so bad.

Plus you still have 2 schools, keep the hope alive and don't give up, you might get in this year!

don't start a graduate degree with this mindset. don't do it. you will either not finish or you will finish completely disenchanted.

This was my advice, too. I had friends start out grad school excited about it and by the end they just wanted to be done and out. I can't imagine starting out half-heartedly - imagine where you'd be by the end of it!

OP, your choices are either to pursue vet med or something else. It sounds like you want vet med, in which case your plan B would then be strengthen your application. Schools that you've been rejected from will go over your application with you and tell you what they found to be weak points and you can address them. Also, if its within your budget, consider applying to more than four schools, and choose those schools wisely based on your application's strengths.

Experience.

I was not in the vet industry before applying, so I didn't have those thousands of hours that many people seem to bring. I don't remember exactly, but I would guess I had 250 total vet hours my first go-around?

So over that next year I increased it through volunteering and shadowing. I also expanded the diversity a bit by including a tiny bit of time with a farm vet. Oh, and an equine doc. And I did a year's worth of wildlife rehab.

FWIW, I am still doing that sort of thing. I do every vaccination clinic, wellness clinic, etc. that I can find time for (usually 1-2/month). I still go back to the clinic I shadowed at once a month or so (hoping to turn that into a summer job or more down the road). Volunteering shouldn't stop once you get in school. :)

The other thing I did is cut down my LORs from 5 'pretty good' ones to 3 very focused ones. I got one from a professor. One from an inside source at my school's hospital (where I volunteered). One from the vet I shadowed with.

Last, I just plain wrote it better the second time around. It's not like I blew it off the first time, but... I didn't take it as seriously as I should have. I didn't have anyone review my PS. I was sloppy in how I filled out some of the rest. The second time I put much more effort into the presentation.

I think anyone who is honest with themselves will have a reasonable idea of what their weaknesses are, and you do what you can to address them. If you can't address them directly, you just make yourself that much stronger somewhere else. And, if/when you get rejected, you talk to the schools to find out why - and put a plan of action in place based on that.

Thank you LIS... it is nice to get people's feedback on what they did to improve. I'm afraid if I am rejected this year it will be strictly based on GPA, my cum. is quite ugly, but my last 45 credits show a vast improvement. The experience, I think I have plenty of that... something like 10,000 hours between veterinary and animal experience. Only time will tell, and if that ugly email comes I will take any feedback they give me whole heartedly and do what they recommend to come back next year (my little pep talk). Thanks again for the feedback!

my plan B was always "strengthen application credentials and apply again"

I agree with New Foundland and the other posters within this thread, to a point....

To the OP...

There are LOTS of other professional venues besides veterinary medicine where you can fulfill your calling of caring for animals. I personally don't think there's any shame in deciding that you gave vet school you're best shot, but it doesn't just seem to be in the cards. You know, there just might be something better out there for you.

Much as many of us wouldn't like to admit it, there are unhappy vets out there practicing in the world today. Unhappy vets who wished they would have made a different decision with their life, and if they had it to do over again, they would have made a different choice. I realize that this is little consolation to a person who has invested their whole heart and soul in gaining acceptance to a veterinary program- this is a choice only you can make. If you feel that this is truly the only career in the whole entire universe that can make you happy, than I say, go for it...go for it, 5, 6, or 7 more times...whatever it takes. Improve every section of your application, each time you apply. Never give up. If, however, you can see yourself being happy fulfilling your animal dreams in a tangentially related career, you may want to give that road a serious second look.

I myself started out wanting to become a veterinarian. It was the only thing I had ever wanted to do with my life. I surprised myself with research, and completely changed directions my sophomore year of college. Instead, I pursued an advanced degree in basic science. Although years of investment of research taught me that a life of grantsmanship and publication were not what I wanted for myself, I did learn that I loved the research environment, and that I did see a place for myself there. I also learned that I loved the regulatory end of science. 12 long years after earning my BS degree, I'm in line applying to veterinary school, in hopes of becoming a lab animal vet many, many years from now.

My point in telling that story is that there are so many directions your life could take. I do recommend that you think seriously about a life in research before you dive head first into that one. It's definitely not for everyone, and it's a serious investment of time and effort. Try it out before you invest. I wouldn't recommend it as an automatic 'Plan B' for someone who is thinking about an alternative to veterinary school. It is a great and natural alternative for someone who enjoys research, but not all folks do- check it out first. If it's your thing, go for it. Think about a whole array of options before you decide on any one course, and don't feel railroaded into applying to veterinary school any certain number of times if you feel that you've had enough. If, however, you do indeed feel it's the only course for you- by all means, apply your heart out- go for it. We're all here supporting you, and hoping you get the admissions decision of your dreams. Just remember to go your own road. OP, if you feel that you're ready for plan B, investigate plan B. If not, we'll be waiting for you in 2012-2013. Just remember, you're still in the game for 2011-2012.

Sending you my best wishes! If you've got any general questions about life in research, feel free to give me a holler :)

:thumbup: Thank you. Best of luck with your app cycle - I know I'll see you on the other side;)
I agree with New Foundland and the other posters within this thread, to a point....

To the OP...

There are LOTS of other professional venues besides veterinary medicine where you can fulfill your calling of caring for animals. I personally don't think there's any shame in deciding that you gave vet school you're best shot, but it doesn't just seem to be in the cards. You know, there just might be something better out there for you.

Much as many of us wouldn't like to admit it, there are unhappy vets out there practicing in the world today. Unhappy vets who wished they would have made a different decision with their life, and if they had it to do over again, they would have made a different choice. I realize that this is little consolation to a person who has invested their whole heart and soul in gaining acceptance to a veterinary program- this is a choice only you can make. If you feel that this is truly the only career in the whole entire universe that can make you happy, than I say, go for it...go for it, 5, 6, or 7 more times...whatever it takes. Improve every section of your application, each time you apply. Never give up. If, however, you can see yourself being happy fulfilling your animal dreams in a tangentially related career, you may want to give that road a serious second look.

I myself started out wanting to become a veterinarian. It was the only thing I had ever wanted to do with my life. I surprised myself with research, and completely changed directions my sophomore year of college. Instead, I pursued an advanced degree in basic science. Although years of investment of research taught me that a life of grantsmanship and publication were not what I wanted for myself, I did learn that I loved the research environment, and that I did see a place for myself there. I also learned that I loved the regulatory end of science. 12 long years after earning my BS degree, I'm in line applying to veterinary school, in hopes of becoming a lab animal vet many, many years from now.

My point in telling that story is that there are so many directions your life could take. I do recommend that you think seriously about a life in research before you dive head first into that one. It's definitely not for everyone, and it's a serious investment of time and effort. Try it out before you invest. I wouldn't recommend it as an automatic 'Plan B' for someone who is thinking about an alternative to veterinary school. It is a great and natural alternative for someone who enjoys research, but not all folks do- check it out first. If it's your thing, go for it. Think about a whole array of options before you decide on any one course, and don't feel railroaded into applying to veterinary school any certain number of times if you feel that you've had enough. If, however, you do indeed feel it's the only course for you- by all means, apply your heart out- go for it. We're all here supporting you, and hoping you get the admissions decision of your dreams. Just remember to go your own road. OP, if you feel that you're ready for plan B, investigate plan B. If not, we'll be waiting for you in 2012-2013. Just remember, you're still in the game for 2011-2012.

Sending you my best wishes! If you've got any general questions about life in research, feel free to give me a holler :)

Members don't see this ad :)

THIS. I was filling out graduate school applications with that same mindset, which is what made me realize I needed a plan B (plan A was grad school). Graduate school is hard enough even if you are really, really excited for it - if you start out unexcited it will be the worst time of your life. And you won't be making much more than $10 an hour during or for years afterwards.

Just started my plan B for next year/next two years. Masters in Bioengineering to hopefully strengthen applications to Dual DVM/PhD programs if I don't get in this year. I'm only applying to one school, but I spent a semester working for a highly esteemed faculty member there, so I should get in.

Just started my plan B for next year/next two years. Masters in Bioengineering to hopefully strengthen applications to Dual DVM/PhD programs if I don't get in this year. I'm only applying to one school, but I spent a semester working for a highly esteemed faculty member there, so I should get in.

Because you worked for someone there? I don't think they'll put a lot of weight on that unless the rest of your application isn't that great. And even then, I don't think that matters too much. At least, it shouldn't.

Didn't we just have a discussion on how much grad school cares about you knowing someone on another thread? I don't think it's really that unreasonable to have a good idea about your chances for a grad program if you fall within/above averages and then have an inside connection to boot...

I'm only applying to one school, but I spent a semester working for a highly esteemed faculty member there, so I should get in.

haha. I spent 2 years working for a world renowned first woman chair of something at Harvard Medical School, but I highly doubt I would get into their medical school... grad school, possibly, but med school... no...

Edit: I missed this before I responded:
Didn't we just have a discussion on how much grad school cares about you knowing someone on another thread? I don't think it's really that unreasonable to have a good idea about your chances for a grad program if you fall within/above averages and then have an inside connection to boot...

grad school yes, residencies, yes, and job opportunities, a resounding yes! but professional school I think is a little bit less about who you know. If you have the stats to get in, then yeah, I'm sure it helps. But "I should get in" I think is a bit of a stretch.

i mean obviously I believe I am a strong applicant for the program. My GPA and GRE scores are above the levels they consider to be competitive. I only thought of the faculty thing after I began applying to vet schools and he asked if i'd applied to the one associated with his institution and said he'd put in a good word for me. Also seeing as I'd be applying to a master's program with a letter of recommendation from a faculty member of the department I'm applying to, i think that does help.

haha. I spent 2 years working for a world renowned first woman chair of something at Harvard Medical School, but I highly doubt I would get into their medical school... grad school, possibly, but med school... no...

Edit: I missed this before I responded:

grad school yes, residencies, yes, and job opportunities, a resounding yes! but professional school I think is a little bit less about who you know. If you have the stats to get in, then yeah, I'm sure it helps. But "I should get in" I think is a bit of a stretch.

And this is to a graduate program as a back up plan if I don't get into vet school this cycle. This is not referring to a vet school

And this is to a graduate program as a back up plan if I don't get into vet school this cycle. This is not referring to a vet school

Haha, I totally read your original post as "I'm applying to grad school for back up, but I'm sure that's unnecessary because I'm getting into vet school through connections," and thought, a little pompous aren't we?

Haha... oh thank god. I was like am I being rude here or something. definitely wasn't trying to be pompous. I think my closest connections to vet schools is that my mom used to cut hair in college station while she was married to a TAMU vet student and thus cut many vet students' hair. alas that was her first husband and i don't think, "my mom's ex-husband went here" counts.
Fun story though- she actually did used to ride horses with the wife of a guy who's now a pathology professor at NCSU's vet school- when I talked to him he described my mom as a "gun-slinging, hell-raising woman and a firm believer in a texan's right to drink beer while driving- she used to measure the distance of a drive not by how many miles or hours it was but by the number of beers she would drink (corpus christi to college station was a three beer drive)"
Needless to say, my mom and I had a long chat after that one.

Haha, I totally read your original post as "I'm applying to grad school for back up, but I'm sure that's unnecessary because I'm getting into vet school through connections," and thought, a little pompous aren't we?

Ups, sorry, me too. Take it back now. Hahaha

lol Foxhunter, your drunk drivin mama has more connections to vet school than most of us.

The only familial connection I have is that my paternal grandmother's father was some equine vet in the old countryside by all the rice paddies in Japan. Never met him, and not related by blood. My grandma seems to think there's some sort of connection... but no, not really.

I'm wavering on my decision to start grad school because of the fear that I'll end up with yet another fancy piece of paper that won't get me a job. :x

I don't mean to offend anyone at all when I ask this. Is SGU a legitimate plan B? (I think they have 2 different start times in the year?) I'm not trying to imply anything about the school.

I think it is a good plan b - if you would be happy going there. It is accredited, so it has the same standards as US schools. There is nothing wrong with going there. If I don't get into US schools in a few years, I will definitely consider it.

I'm wavering on my decision to start grad school because of the fear that I'll end up with yet another fancy piece of paper that won't get me a job. :x

I don't mean to offend anyone at all when I ask this. Is SGU a legitimate plan B? (I think they have 2 different start times in the year?) I'm not trying to imply anything about the school.

SGU is part of my plan A! I've heard nothing but good things from there. It is a trek out there and quite a life changing option, but hey, if it's gonna give you the same end result in 4 years, why not?!

lol Foxhunter, your drunk drivin mama has more connections to vet school than most of us.

The only familial connection I have is that my paternal grandmother's father was some equine vet in the old countryside by all the rice paddies in Japan. Never met him, and not related by blood. My grandma seems to think there's some sort of connection... but no, not really.
Familial connection? I read James Herriot's books and he seems like a member of my family. Does that count?

SGU is part of my plan A! I've heard nothing but good things from there. It is a trek out there and quite a life changing option, but hey, if it's gonna give you the same end result in 4 years, why not?!

I looked at their website today and I might actually make it part of my Plan A. It sounds awesome. ANd I'd love to move to another country. I'm having a great experience in the US, maybe the Caribbean will have some awesome stuff ready for me, too!

Thanks for the reminder of those James Herriot books. I haven't thought of them in such a long time. Remember Trikki Woo, Sigfried, Tristan and Helen...all those great characters (based on real people in James White's life). I loved the way he'd write a little story in each chapter. There would be a sad story, and then just as I was crying my eyes out he'd give some comic relief in the next chapter with a funny one. I'm sure many the veterinarian was once inspired by these great stories

388954_348882488460556_338280396187432_1698961_1881011235_n.jpg

Emi, I LOVE THIS QUOTE. I found it a few weeks ago and fell in love. :love:

A lot of people seem to have medical school or some ohter proffesional school as a Plan B ( mine is dental school), but why do we really think we have a chance at these other schools. I mean we have dedicated so much time and effort volunteering and studying for vet, yet have we done any of it for other proffesions. How do we explain a lack of knowledge and experience in dental or medical school and expect them to believe it is our passion. I know personally that if I don't get in to Vet school it is due to GPA, so I probably have no better chance at dental except for family connections. I know that they claim vet school is harder to get into, but most vet schools have 400-600 applicants for 80-120 seats, while my IS dental has 800 apps for 60 seats. Don't mean to sound negative cause I know it's possible, ( I actually know a neurologist that went to med school cause he couldn't get into vet), I just want to know how we can trick these other schools into believing that it is our dream, when really we all want to be vets.

Just speaking for myself, going to vet school is what I want most. But I love science and all things medical and also want to be of help to others and be a doctor. I wouldn't feel like I was trying to put one over on a medical school by going that route. My heart would still be in it (maybe not as much as for veterinary med, but still seeing patients, helping them to live their healthiest lives, giving advice and being a source of support). It would be a little different than what I had always envisioned, but not like switching to professional musician or something like that. As for putting in hours of experience before, I may not be able to do that, but I'll do what I can (oh, and study for the MCAT). Also, I would apply to a DO (osteopathic) school rather than an MD (allopathic) one because they look more at applicants from a total applicant pov. I would also love to hear what others think about switching to plan B. I know that flyhi switched to podiatry without a lot of turnaround time. I still haven't heard from any of the vet schools I applied to though, so we'll see if I need to even do a plan B

I definitely agree with Bisbee more than JRAD.

I mean, sure, if you sent your VMCAS app to a medical school they would reject you because you should definitely look well-fitted to a vet program.

But, you get to tailor applications to the audience. If you have research experience, for example, that fits well in med schools. Otherwise you wouldn't emphasize your vet/animal experience as much unless you have a good way to relate it to human med<One example: while volunteering/working for Dr Bark, VMD, I became fascinated with dentals and realized that I should focus on dentistry, and Dental school is the best way for me to have a rewarding career>

Obviously, the academics overlap to a large extent.
You can still get good LORs, ace the MCAT, and write a good PS, and/or whatever you need to get in wherever.

If you do a good job marketing yourself, I see no problem.

BUT, if you have academic deficiencies, I don't see how that is a very good Plan B. If your problem is experience in vet med, than it can be an excellent Plan B.

I agree with you that I would be happy going dental route, even though vet is what I want, so I didn't mean to say "pull one over on them". I just don't know how they will look at an application that has maybe 50-100 hors volunteer time vs someone with 500-100hrs. How do we make our applications "stand out" if they don't stand out for vet school? Also I agree with you applying to DO schools. I work in a hospital and work with both DO's and MD's, personally I feel that DO's seem to be better trained or at least the new/young ones. No offense meant to MD's, just my observations.

My backup was med school if I hadn't gotten into vet school. I knew that I wanted to practice medicine for sure, regardless of whether it's animal or human (though I definitely prefer animal medicine). I think that's the case for a lot of vets-to-be as well (we all just love medicine), if there was a MD/DVM degree I would definitely have applied and I'm actually considering going for a MD after completing my DVM.

In my case, I'm not really sure of what my chances would've been for med. Since I was a Canadian applicant to OVC, I actually had to take the MCAT anyway for vet school. My MCAT score was decent, GPA was pretty high, and I had research lab experience in a human hospital. I was also in a "pre-med" program in undergrad and all of my courses were focused on human health care (eg. human anatomy & physiology, pathophysiology, pathoanatomy, health policy, bioethics etc). I didn't have any clinical experience with human medicine but since med schools don't require experience hours (like vet schools do), I don't think it would've been a dealbreaker. Definitely would've weakened my application, but from what I've seen from friends in med school, experience is of lesser importance in human med (some of them don't have any clinical hours either).

Either way, plan Bs are definitely achievable even with little experience in that field, so long as you have a strong GPA/standardized test score/LORs/interview. Most professional schools don't place that much emphasis on experience, it's really only in vet med where experience is required. My optometrist was actually in 1st year med school (dropped out because he couldn't handle the sight of blood) and then applied and was admitted to optometry in the next application cycle. He had 0 experience in the field and all he did was take the OAT, as he already had the prereqs, grades and LORs from applying to med school.

Familial connection? I read James Herriot's books and he seems like a member of my family. Does that count?

My great great great great twice removed adopted grandfather is J. Herriot. I read somewhere that he was a suspected Nazi.

On a related note free of snark (mostly), I was in the grad school pile until Nov. 8th of this year. I wrote my PS and such specifically related to grad school and my interests in research. But, at the same time, I was informed that if I write a PS about vet school, even if I've a 4.5, 9779 GRE and my cousin is an alum, I would not be accepted. Just food for thought:) I did speak to all manner of admissions/graduate school counselors prior to making my dive into the vet school pool again.

Just speaking for myself, going to vet school is what I want most. But I love science and all things medical and also want to be of help to others and be a doctor. I wouldn't feel like I was trying to put one over on a medical school by going that route. My heart would still be in it (maybe not as much as for veterinary med, but still seeing patients, helping them to live their healthiest lives, giving advice and being a source of support). It would be a little different than what I had always envisioned, but not like switching to professional musician or something like that. As for putting in hours of experience before, I may not be able to do that, but I'll do what I can (oh, and study for the MCAT). Also, I would apply to a DO (osteopathic) school rather than an MD (allopathic) one because they look more at applicants from a total applicant pov. I would also love to hear what others think about switching to plan B. I know that flyhi switched to podiatry without a lot of turnaround time. I still haven't heard from any of the vet schools I applied to though, so we'll see if I need to even do a plan B

My ears were ringing :D Applying to DO would probably not be that big of a step for you, in all honesty. Like someone else mentioned (SocialStigma?) you do not need 'experience' hours in human med like vet med. Now, they do want to see some fairly good EC's and certainly some volunteering in a hospital, etc. Research is also a big plus. For podiatry, we had to have at least one LOR from a podiatrist that we shadowed. I would have personally gone DO over MD for several reasons..the most obvious being gpa, but they also like non trads way more than allo, You probably know this, but DO's allow for grade replacement, which is huge. I would have had to do this, which is why I personally chose podiatry. I simply don't have another year or two to dork around.

Anyways, I am rooting for you for DVM, but if you are considering DO as your Plan B, maybe you could start positioning yourself. I *believe* with DO apps, the early bird gets the worm, so you want your app in pretty much the day it opens. Podiatry is all rolling and I am not positive, but think, DO is the same way. In any event, I know early apps do make a difference, unlike vet med. Podiatry and DO are backups for a lot of MD applicants, so the pool gets stronger after January, when they realize they need to go to their plan B.

Good luck...I'll be :xf::xf: for a DVM acceptance.

Thanks flyhi - It's inspirational that you were able to figure things out and position yourself for podiatry school so quickly. I have been looking into the DO programs for myself and thinking about studying for the MCAT. I don't want to jinx myself, though, for getting into vet school (ha). I'm still hopeful about it. But if I don't get in at least I'll have something else to set my sights on and work towards. I think I will be able to apply to the DO schools in the next cycle (early, as you've advised) as long as my MCAT score is good. Even though I'm a non-traditional, my grades are actually really good (3.9); however, my courses were taken fifteen years ago (so I'd have to look into whether or not they are still acceptable). So much to think about. I'm happy for you that you found another profession more suited to the life you want to live. Best of luck in all you do!

Thanks flyhi - It's inspirational that you were able to figure things out and position yourself for podiatry school so quickly. I have been looking into the DO programs for myself and thinking about studying for the MCAT. I don't want to jinx myself, though, for getting into vet school (ha). I'm still hopeful about it. But if I don't get in at least I'll have something else to set my sights on and work towards. I think I will be able to apply to the DO schools in the next cycle (early, as you've advised) as long as my MCAT score is good. Even though I'm a non-traditional, my grades are actually really good (3.9); however, my courses were taken fifteen years ago (so I'd have to look into whether or not they are still acceptable). So much to think about. I'm happy for you that you found another profession more suited to the life you want to live. Best of luck in all you do!

Thanks so much for the support, Bisbee, it means a lot! I was very fortunate that things worked out and as much as I still dream about being a vet (with my farm and my horses), it was the right decision for me.

Wow, you should have no issues with vet school, let alone DO :) My courses were just as old, which as you know can be a problem for many vet schools. Again, not certain about DO, but it made no difference for podiatry. On the other hand, studying for the MCAT has been very challenging with such old pre-req's. DO is more forgiving on the MCAT score than allo, but still.... Thankfully, podiatry is even more forgiving :oops: Not to jinx you, because you WILL get an acceptance, but if I had to do it again, I would allow 6-8 months for MCAT study (3-5 mos content review and 3 mos FT MCAT specific study). It takes a month to get your scores released to the schools.

I never knew your journey and just read some of it...kudos to you and Best of Luck!! I'll be stalking....er....rooting for you :luck::xf::luck::xf:

Thanks for the info on the MCAT. I'm scared to death of it, frankly. I'm rooting for you, too, for much success and contentment in your new career and hope to see updates on SDN.

My backup was med school if I hadn't gotten into vet school. I knew that I wanted to practice medicine for sure, regardless of whether it's animal or human (though I definitely prefer animal medicine). I think that's the case for a lot of vets-to-be as well (we all just love medicine), if there was a MD/DVM degree I would definitely have applied and I'm actually considering going for a MD after completing my DVM.

In my case, I'm not really sure of what my chances would've been for med. Since I was a Canadian applicant to OVC, I actually had to take the MCAT anyway for vet school. My MCAT score was decent, GPA was pretty high, and I had research lab experience in a human hospital. I was also in a "pre-med" program in undergrad and all of my courses were focused on human health care (eg. human anatomy & physiology, pathophysiology, pathoanatomy, health policy, bioethics etc). I didn't have any clinical experience with human medicine but since med schools don't require experience hours (like vet schools do), I don't think it would've been a dealbreaker. Definitely would've weakened my application, but from what I've seen from friends in med school, experience is of lesser importance in human med (some of them don't have any clinical hours either).

Either way, plan Bs are definitely achievable even with little experience in that field, so long as you have a strong GPA/standardized test score/LORs/interview. Most professional schools don't place that much emphasis on experience, it's really only in vet med where experience is required. My optometrist was actually in 1st year med school (dropped out because he couldn't handle the sight of blood) and then applied and was admitted to optometry in the next application cycle. He had 0 experience in the field and all he did was take the OAT, as he already had the prereqs, grades and LORs from applying to med school.

good lord! I wish I had your confidence in taking on vet school AND med school debt! and the time investment! man. Carry on!

I am a first time applicant...and enrolled in graduate school for the Spring because it was free, on campus where I work, and thinking "it takes people an average of 3 times to get into veterinary school and I should just do it". I am so terribly not into it. I am only taking 6 hours, thank God...but unlike undergrad not having a goal, or knowing that I would quit if admitted into veterinary school really makes you loose your oomph...I know that it never hurts to learn MORE but it can hurt you if you enroll in grad school, do poorly and/or quit if you try and apply to veterinary school again because that is what you TRULY want to do. I vote apply again, regardless if you enroll in graduate school or not, FOLLOW YOUR HEART!

I've been spending a lot of time thinking of my back up plans. I didn't have any passion for grad school but that was only because of the very well disliked supervisor/prof I'd be doing my project with (reproduction in dairy cows).

So here are my backups:
Plan B - Pharmacy (2 schools)
Plan C & D - Teacher's College or Medical Lab Tech program at our community college. I don't have these two in order yet.

Whichever direction I go (assuming I don't get into vet school), I will re-apply to AVC one more time. If I don't get in on my 3rd try, I'll continue with what I'm doing and move on.

I've been spending a lot of time thinking of my back up plans. I didn't have any passion for grad school but that was only because of the very well disliked supervisor/prof I'd be doing my project with (reproduction in dairy cows).

So here are my backups:
Plan C & D - Teacher's College or Medical Lab Tech program at our community college. I don't have these two in order yet.

Whichever direction I go (assuming I don't get into vet school), I will re-apply to AVC one more time. If I don't get in on my 3rd try, I'll continue with what I'm doing and move on.

I don't know if the prerequisites are the same or anything, but would it be possible for you to apply to vet school and pharmacy school at the same time? If it's your last try, so if I wouldn't (and I really hope it does!) work with vet school, you could move on right away with pharmacy school...

So here are my backups:

I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. After I was denied last year I started to look into plan Bs. I really didn't want to do a masters program either. Because it seemed silly to pay 20,000$ for one or teo years of education when my undergraduate education was very highly focused on upper division science classes. In my exit review from CSU (which sadly they are only giving to waitlisted candidates this year). They said that I was lacking in large animal experience. So I ended up working full time as a research associate in a lab in the same building that I worked in undergrad. I was given a salary and benefits and the research we do involves several animal species including horses and sheep. I ended up getting an over 1000 hours of LA vet experience to list on my app for this year, and I was able to display my understanding of physiology through my research. I think this experience provided the difference I needed between last year's app and this years because I got in.
I don't know what your stats are but if you are lacking in LA the bovine research sounds like a good option. Maybe you could get hired as a research associate. I know that you are primarily interested in research so the masters might give you a nice back up plan. Or perhaps you could do something outside this field to diversify your application, like work in an animal shelter. Good luck with your decision and the rest of this application cycle- it's not over yet!