BU vs Temple. The decision has been killing me for two weeks :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jediknight273

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, these were my only acceptances and I've been having a really difficult time trying to decide which one to pick. Temple really impressed me on interview day with their presentation and they're cheaper than BU. I think I would pick the school immediately if it wasn't for the area. They pretty much said that you shouldn't be there once it gets dark and that's a bit of a problem for me since I can only get studying done if I stuff myself in a library.

BU is an option because I've always wanted to live in Boston and it seemed like a safer area. I also like that they have the recorded lectures since it'll be another source to studying. I'm not sure if Temple is doing that just yet. Their research department also seemed to be a bit more developed than Temple but maybe I'm just reading that wrong. Help a dude out please :(

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about BU but with that being said, I think you answered your own question. One of the biggest things you see on here from pre-dents, dental students & dentists is that your cheapest option is 9/10 your best option. Like you, I was VERY impressed by Brian's presentation but TUKSoD's clinical reputation speaks for itself. So not only are you getting a great price tag with Temple but the education and clinical experience is one of the best. There are plenty of safe areas to live in Philadelphia and as long as you aren't walking alone, with your headphones in, twiddling your thumbs at 2am you'll be safe around the school as well. Just my 2 cents..

EDIT: Also, they DO have video recorded lectures!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, these were my only acceptances and I've been having a really difficult time trying to decide which one to pick. Temple really impressed me on interview day with their presentation and they're cheaper than BU. I think I would pick the school immediately if it wasn't for the area. They pretty much said that you shouldn't be there once it gets dark and that's a bit of a problem for me since I can only get studying done if I stuff myself in a library.

BU is an option because I've always wanted to live in Boston and it seemed like a safer area. I also like that they have the recorded lectures since it'll be another source to studying. I'm not sure if Temple is doing that just yet. Their research department also seemed to be a bit more developed than Temple but maybe I'm just reading that wrong. Help a dude out please :(

Generally speaking:
Ivy >= Your instate school > every other school >> unaccredited schools > BU >= Howard > Meharry

...soooo, Temple University. Just don't be stupid and walk around at night alone.

temple does have recorded lectures. many students do study in the library, even at night ( its the med school library, which is a few blocks from the dental school, and RIGHT near the main parking garage). as long as you stay on Broad street ( the main street), you will be fine.

if you do decide on temple, feel free to ask me any questions either on this thread or PM me. gl with your decision.

Temple. Cheaper + better clinical. I am 4th year BU student. Research here is not that much greater than any other school, its better than most because our parent school does research. But I would not factor the research at BU as any major factor in your decision. BU isnt in that great of area as most think either, its location has no advantages what so ever.

Haha The Temple people say to come here and the BU guy says to come here! nuff said? I think so.

Our lectures are recorded. I studied in the library all the time and I am one of those "street parkers." (I park on the street and not the garage and save likes 400 bones a semester!) I've left and arrived at the library at all hours of the night - anywhere from 10pm to 5am. It's 24/7 and very quiet at night if you want to go there. PM me if you need anything. We'll set up a facebook group here shortly if it hasnt been set up. Usually some upperclassmen will jump on there to give friendly advice, pick up roommates, pawn of old books, etc.

Side Note: Ever since our new Dean arrived our school has been stepping up research considerably. It's there if you want it.

If anyone ever has a question about Temple - feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm torn between he same two schools too. I currently live in Boston and I know some people who go to BU Dental as well. At first my decision was leaning towards BU since I already live here and it would be easy for me to stay here. But I really thought about it and, its much cheaper to live in Philly. Also, what everyone else said, Temple seems to be a much better school in terms of experience. For me, I'd rather have the clinical experience (the biggest factor after cost) rather than research, because with more experience the better profesional you'll become. Anyways, I'm leaning towards Temple much more now and will probably go there unless I can get into Tufts haha :thumbup:

Hey, I'm torn between he same two schools too. I currently live in Boston and I know some people who go to BU Dental as well. At first my decision was leaning towards BU since I already live here and it would be easy for me to stay here. But I really thought about it and, its much cheaper to live in Philly. Also, what everyone else said, Temple seems to be a much better school in terms of experience. For me, I'd rather have the clinical experience (the biggest factor after cost) rather than research, because with more experience the better profesional you'll become. Anyways, I'm leaning towards Temple much more now and will probably go there unless I can get into Tufts haha :thumbup:

Probably the best decision you ever made :thumbup:

i'd say temple for 2 reasons..

1. cost

2. relatively no competition. NYU and UMDNJ are about an hour and a half away. granted, you still have to compete with penn but that's really the only other school in the area.

with BU, you have 2 other schools in the same city (more or less). and it is more expensive.

seems like temple is the clear winner.

i'd say temple for 2 reasons..

1. cost

2. relatively no competition. NYU and UMDNJ are about an hour and a half away. granted, you still have to compete with penn but that's really the only other school in the area.

with BU, you have 2 other schools in the same city (more or less). and it is more expensive.

seems like temple is the clear winner.
Except that Penn is in the same city. Haha. But, you're right. BU has 2 other schools to compete with; Temple only has 1.

Except that Penn is in the same city. Haha. But, you're right. BU has 2 other schools to compete with; Temple only has 1.

Even with UPENN in the same city, I heard Temple students see a lotttt of patients.

Temple is leagues better, especially clinically. And Philly is a great place to live. Temple!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed at temple and rejected my interview offer at BU upon further research here. Easy call, IMO. I don't think anywhere has more clinical experience at graduation than temple.

Temple! I'll see you there next year.

Penn is on the other side of downtown. 99% of the patients that would go to a dental school are on our side. Our patient pool is like 4-5times the size of theirs. I'm sure this happens at UPenn, but I have recently treated several ex patients of UPenn that are willing to make the drive/ride to come to Temple instead... There was another thread talking about 3 easy root canals at graduation at U of M. I'm 25% through clinic and I've already done that sooooooo

Penn is on the other side of downtown. 99% of the patients that would go to a dental school are on our side. Our patient pool is like 4-5times the size of theirs. I'm sure this happens at UPenn, but I have recently treated several ex patients of UPenn that are willing to make the drive/ride to come to Temple instead... There was another thread talking about 3 easy root canals at graduation at U of M. I'm 25% through clinic and I've already done that sooooooo

Either you like to embellish the truth or you have a poor understand of statistics. Although, I agree Temple has a larger patient pool than Penn - that's kind of expected since Temple is in the hood -- "99%" is a major overexaggeration. Students at Penn aren't fighting for cases. You're definitely right that patients flip-flop between Temple and Penn - during my interview, our tour guide's patient said he and his kids are ex-Temple patients, and to choose Penn.

Regardless of statistics he makes two good points:
-Excellent clinical exposure at Temple
-Lots of patients

Last edited:
Regardless of statistics he makes two good points:
-Excellent clinical exposure at Temple
-Lots of patients

Agreed - I just didn't think it was asking for a Penn vs. Temple battle, otherwise I would have brought out the big guns.

BU's dental school is located in the very crappy South End, not the Charles River main campus. You also don't want to be walking around at night there.

In terms of clinical experience, BU was a huge dissapointment. There were too many students for the facility, and not enough patients for everyone. With the 3 dental schools in Boston, and the lack of public transportation to the school, it's just tough. When we entered the clinic during 3rd year, we were informed that the school can only give us 1 single patient, and that patient recruitment was our responsibility (this is a serious accreditation violation).

In terms of cost, BU Dental's tuition alone is $60,000. Rent for a 1BR is over $2,000, parking extra. Living expenses are very high in Boston. Add in the $10,000 instrument kit and fees, and you are looking at well over $100,000 your first year, plus interest. By your 4th year, tuition will have been raised to ~ $75,000. That's an obscene amount of debt.

Sorry BU, it is what it is.

Temple all the way.

BU seems to have lots of cons and maybe a few pros sprinkled in here and there. However, the southend being a safe area is definitely not true and it's a con imo. A guy was shot outside my apartment a few years back. My apartment complex finally took down the memorial his friends put up right outside my window. RIP Curly.

BU's dental school is located in the very crappy South End, not the Charles River main campus. You also don't want to be walking around at night there.

In terms of clinical experience, BU was a huge dissapointment. There were too many students for the facility, and not enough patients for everyone. With the 3 dental schools in Boston, and the lack of public transportation to the school, it's just tough. When we entered the clinic during 3rd year, we were informed that the school can only give us 1 single patient, and that patient recruitment was our responsibility (this is a serious accreditation violation).

In terms of cost, BU Dental's tuition alone is $60,000. Rent for a 1BR is over $2,000, parking extra. Living expenses are very high in Boston. Add in the $10,000 instrument kit and fees, and you are looking at well over $100,000 your first year, plus interest. By your 4th year, tuition will have been raised to ~ $75,000. That's an obscene amount of debt.

Sorry BU, it is what it is.

Is it just us or is the frustration against BU in all their students? what year did you graduate? The crap still hasnt changed

Is it just us or is the frustration against BU in all their students? what year did you graduate? The crap still hasnt changed

Despite all the red tape and controversy, I wouldn't doubt BU graduates have at least a modicum of knowledge. However, I myself wouldn't chance going there. If it was the only school I got accepted to, though, I'd take the invitation to the party.

Status
Not open for further replies.