What to put in a "I'm ranking you #1" email?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vengaaqui

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am done interviewing and have decided which program I am ranking number 1. I want to send an email expressing this and am wondering what the email should include. I'm thinking that short and sweet is probably the best way to go since program directors are busy and since I'm applying to EM but since ive never done this before I'm not sure. Any thoughts, particularly from those who have already been here or are school administrators/from a ProgDirector?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm planning to do something similar when I finally make up my mind. I would go short and sweet as well. Tell them you're ranking them number 1, and that you'd love to be a resident there. Then say thanks. No need to wax poetic about it.

I'm planning to do something similar when I finally make up my mind. I would go short and sweet as well. Tell them you're ranking them number 1, and that you'd love to be a resident there. Then say thanks. No need to wax poetic about it.

That's pretty much what I did. Got an encouraging response the next morning. Best of luck to everyone finishing interviews and making decisions!! :luck:

I wrote "Dear Dr. Program Director: I am writing you to let you know that I am ranking [your program] number one on my rank order list. Thank you, Zofran."

Yeah, agree that's the way to go. Just don't freak out if you don't get the response you're hoping for, or any response at all. No way to know what, if anything, a non-response means.

A program only has 2 interview days back to back and I interviewed on the second interview day. They told us that day that they will have their rank meeting to make their list that evening and to not worry about thank yous. Is it safe to assume that they also don't care about/want "you're my #1" emails?

A program only has 2 interview days back to back and I interviewed on the second interview day. They told us that day that they will have their rank meeting to make their list that evening and to not worry about thank yous. Is it safe to assume that they also don't care about/want "you're my #1" emails?

I think that the "you're my #1" emails are a whole different ball game. From my perspective, "thank you" is just that - a thank you for their time.

I think that the "you're my #1" emails are a whole different ball game. From my perspective, "thank you" is just that - a thank you for their time.

I understand that. The program made it seem like once their ranking was done that day that nothing would be changed aka no more rank meetings. Just wondering if a "you're my #1" email matter in the sense that their ROL would be informally revisited

I don't know. I guess my take on it is what's it going to hurt? As long as you only have one number one and are honest about it, who's going to be annoyed to get a letter professing your love at a given program? It may not help, but it's worth a shot IMHO. I say go for it even if there were only 2 interview days.

can you potentially email multiple programs tell them u are my number 1? (especially if ur going in a competitive field and dont have many interviews)....or is it not a good idea due to programs cross talking with each other

can you potentially email multiple programs tell them u are my number 1? (especially if ur going in a competitive field and dont have many interviews)....or is it not a good idea due to programs cross talking with each other

You can but you shouldn't for multiple reasons

1) Just because programs can be deceitful doesn't mean you have to
2) PD's do talk especially in smaller fields
3) PD's can see where you matched and a scorned PD can talk to your program and let them know what you did
4) Burning bridges is never a good idea and it's especially bad in smaller fields

in hindsight, would it really matter?

Potentially. Medicine is a small world (and some sub-specialties are very tiny worlds) and these people have way more juice than you. Pissing off an easily butthurt but influential person in your field could have major downstream consequences for you.

Or not.

If you're willing to take that chance, go nuts.

Or be a decent person and tell your #1 that they're #1 and leave the rest of it to the match algorithm.

Last edited:
in hindsight, would it really matter?

I would hope that outright lying would be something no one would like to to do, and the argument would end there.

For a first-hand account of this happening, my school's dean is the PD of surgery. He had exactly this happen 2 years ago. He called the student's dean and chair of surgery to tell them, and called the PD at the program where the student matched. He has gone on to declared that the lying candidate will never match into fellowship here, and he will never trust any candidates from that student's school in the future.

Integrity first, please.

..and he will never trust any candidates from that student's school in the future.

I wholeheartedly agree that it's stupid (nevermind immoral) to lie and that it can unnecessarily burn bridges, but sheesh! This seems harsh bordering on ridiculous.

I wholeheartedly agree that it's stupid (nevermind immoral) to lie and that it can unnecessarily burn bridges, but sheesh! This seems harsh bordering on ridiculous.

Never is a long time, and probably an overstatement, but they'd have an uphill battle. Actions have consequences for yourself and peers.

Along this same topic, which one is better, a letter of intent by mail, or a letter of intent by e-mail? Obviously, either one can get lost.

Thanks!

is ranking you number 1 or ranking you at top of my list the same thing?

or does the latter mean, in the top but not number 1?

are these called Letters of Intent?

I explicitly said #1 so there's no confusion. Some might interpret "at the top" as including #2 or 3. Be as unambiguous as possible.

Never is a long time, and probably an overstatement, but they'd have an uphill battle. Actions have consequences for yourself and peers.

what school is this? do you mind sharing

Ranking multiple places number 1 is not only unethical but morally wrong to do to your fellow colleagues, as if too many students write tons of number 1 e-mails, then they wont mean much anymore. So reserve your number 1 for your true number 1 only so it actually can have some weight.

So what are people writing to their #2 and #3 programs? I refuse to lie and tell multiple programs that they're #1, but telling #2 and #3 "I'm ranking you highly" might cause them to bump me down on their list, assuming (correctly) that they're not my #1.

How about just an email letting them know that you hope you are ranked in their program? Sincerity in honesty?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I was thinking of saying something about how X program continues to stand out on my list, and I think it'd be a perfect match for me and i hope they feel the same

So what are people writing to their #2 and #3 programs? I refuse to lie and tell multiple programs that they're #1, but telling #2 and #3 "I'm ranking you highly" might cause them to bump me down on their list, assuming (correctly) that they're not my #1.

How about:
" "

Ranking multiple places number 1 is not only unethical but morally wrong to do to your fellow colleagues, as if too many students write tons of number 1 e-mails, then they wont mean much anymore. So reserve your number 1 for your true number 1 only so it actually can have some weight.
But that's the way it should be. These silly emails really should not have any bearing on how programs rank applicants--they should just rank them in the order that they like em. These games suck, and I, for one, am pissed off that I feel pressured into sending these silly emails.

Don't send them anything besides the usual thank you.

Don't send them anything besides the usual thank you.

What about "late" thank you letters?

After all this traveling and interviewing I only sent out a limited number of thank you letters, but I would like to let certain programs know I am interested in them. For example there is a place I interviewed at early this month and have not yet sent a thank you letter to them. I'm thinking about sending a thank you to the PC and PD, just to show I am interested in the program as I have not sent any post interview correspondence.

At the same time I don't want them to interpret it as a "not number 1" correspondence. I'd like them to interpret it as what I am intending it to be... just a simple thank you / I like your program / would be happy there.

Last edited:
As a professional, I think you should send a thank you card to everyone who interviewed you plus the program coordinator unless the program (like one of mine) specifically requested that you not send cards or emails. It's a job interview regardless of whether the cards get there the week after or a month later (of course earlier is better).

• Dislike
Whatever you're going to do it do it soon. Programs are starting to finalize their lists. My program already had their rank list meeting a couple of days ago.

Whatever you're going to do it do it soon. Programs are starting to finalize their lists. My program already had their rank list meeting a couple of days ago.

Really? Yikes! I thought most places waited until at least February 1st when (almost) all of their interviews should be done. I haven't decided yet for sure and definitely haven't sent an email yet. I'm not even convinced it makes a difference but now that it might be too late I'm worried. :-\

So going back to the original topic for this thread, what should the subject for this type of email be?

*im referring to a "your my number one" or "ranking very highly" email, not a simple thank you.

is it bad to not get any response after sending ranking #1 email ?

is it bad to not get any response after sending ranking #1 email ?

Who knows? More to the point, does it matter? I don't mean to sound crass. I guess this just makes me reflect on the abundance of these questions in general. (Hey, I may be as guilty as the next person, and this is not meant to be a criticism directed at MDpride). We all overanalyze every single move, to no end. In this case, if it's bad, what are you going to do about it? Nothing. Does it change anything? No. You will keep your rank list the same. Maybe one could argue that knowing whether it's bad or not will provide peace of mind, but I doubt it. It seems we are all destined to be anxious and fretful during this process. In all likelihood, the masses of SDN will disagree on any particular issue, providing no peace of mind at all. Even if they all agree that it is not bad, you will probably continue to have doubt. So this brings me back to my original question: does it matter?

Ok, off my soap box. Seriously, not meant to be a criticism of MDpride or anyone else. Just a reflection on the absurdity of this process and the effects it has on presumably otherwise sane people, myself included (and yes, I DO maintain that I am sane at baseline! :laugh:).

And now to actually answer MDpride's question, IMO it doesn't mean anything. Different programs have different philosophies on post-interview communications, so you really can't read into a lack of response at all. Rank as you desire, cross your fingers, and good luck!

So going back to the original topic for this thread, what should the subject for this type of email be?

*im referring to a "your my number one" or "ranking very highly" email, not a simple thank you.

I usually used the program title, I.e. "MGH Internal Medicine Residency"

I agree with pixella... we could all stand to chill out a bit.

I also sent one of these and haven't heard back. I know others have had this happen and matched. I get nervous about not getting anything back, but like pixella said, I'm not going to do anything about it. You have done all you can, so it's time to sit back and wait.

6 weeks!

Do programs not ever tweek their rank list after their meeting?
Maybe the "I'm ranking you #1" emails really aren't a big deal to them if they finalize their lists so early. It seems like few applicants would have their #1 in stone so soon!

If you have consistently told this program they are number one then I can't see it hurting. I highly doubt they will significantly change the list based on your email. Thanking them
For the opportunity to interview can't be seen in an unfavorable light.

If you have consistently told this program they are number one then I can't see it hurting. I highly doubt they will significantly change the list based on your email. Thanking them
For the opportunity to interview can't be seen in an unfavorable light.

It can if that's all you're saying. It would be taken to say "you are not my #1" which, in this process, a program doesn't want to hear.

The PD at one of the places I rotated at said that they have their final rank meeting several weeks before the rank list even opens, but he continues to mull it over and make changes up until the deadline. He didn't mention any emails making a difference, but the PC did say that if you have someone who can call on your behalf, it could make a difference.

It can if that's all you're saying. It would be taken to say "you are not my #1" which, in this process, a program doesn't want to hear.

:) i think in this case a thank you and a cordial affirmation that the program is highly viewed would be proper and in line.

I agree with pixella... we could all stand to chill out a bit.

I also sent one of these and haven't heard back. I know others have had this happen and matched. I get nervous about not getting anything back, but like pixella said, I'm not going to do anything about it. You have done all you can, so it's time to sit back and wait.

6 weeks!

I did hear back, but I wouldn't be envious if I were you. A response just brings even more unknowns to the forefront. Is it a positive response? Semi-positive? Neutral? Discouraging? Too formal? Too informal? Presence or absence of exclamation points?

It's hopeless.