2012-2013 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm hoping to get some love from Albany!

Submitted my primary today. What essay prompts did Albany give out last year?

What should I know about Albany's application procedure and Albany medical school in general?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when they're sending out their secondaries?

Worth applying here? KS resident, 3.77/3.60/33.

Worth applying here? KS resident, 3.77/3.60/33.
According to the MSAR their averages are MCAT 32, cGPA 3.62, sGPA 3. 54.

I think you have a good shot!

Has anyone gotten the secondary?

how much longer do we have to wait??!?!

Taken quite awhile for their secondaries to come out huh?

I'd say maybe half of the schools don't have secondaries out yet. It's July :p Be patient.

Just got an email from Albany!

The Albany Medical College has received your verified AMCAS application. We anticipate that during the week of July 30th 2012, you will receive access via email to the link for the online secondary application.
If we find that we are unable to release the secondary application within this timeframe, we will contact you again via email.
Please note that the secondary application and application fees done online must be submitted by 11:59pm EST, December 15, 2012. All supportive credentials and application fees submitted via mail must be postmarked by 11:59pm EST, December 15, 2012.
Thank you for your interest in the Albany Medical College.

+1 I got excited when I saw an email from them in my inbox...assumed it was the secondary.....guess we'll have to wait another week or so

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i got this too. hopefully they'll send the secondary soon. i need some good news!

+1 I got excited when I saw an email from them in my inbox...assumed it was the secondary.....guess we'll have to wait another week or so

Same here.

Anyone else having trouble opening the secondary?

Doesn't work for me, either. I get the error message "You do not have permission to view this directory or page." when I try to open it from the link in the email.

Are there any essay questions? (Not sure if they're even visible since it seems nobody can open it)

they put a new link to the site! I think it's working now!

Questions:

If you have previously applied to Albany Medical College or another medical school and were not accepted, how have you spent the intervening time? (1,000 character limit)

Describe yourself:
(1,000 character limit)

If selected for an interview, what one life experience would you most like to talk about?
(160 character limit)

If your school has a Premedical Advisory Committee but you are not using that service,
please indicate why:
(1,000 character limit)

Does Albany send a secondary to everyone who submitted a primary, it says they do on their website but I still haven't received anything. Guess I'll call tomorrow.

Last edited:
No secondary here either.

maybe something is wrong with our apps :scared:

Lol. It took me a week to get most secondaries, sometimes you're just not in the first batch. Give it a week before you start worrying :)

I called the admissions office and they said that they are planning to send more secondaries out this week.
They are just starting up, so only a few were sent out yesterday. :)

Also, amazing/friendly person on the phone.

After I click certify (no payment due to FAP), I don't have to worry about anything else right? I clicked on application status on the main menu and it states that none of my letters have been received, but I'm assuming that the admissions staff will just download them from AMCAS.

sames. hmmmm how do i describe myself

I know.. what a lame question. I wasn't planning on having an answer for this until interviews.

Now what happens if you get an interview at Albany and the interviewer says "So, tell me about yourself."

Can't repeat your secondary essay answer!

Here are prompts for you guys:

Describe yourself:
(1,000 character limit)

If selected for an interview, what one life experience would you most like to talk about?
(160 character limit)

Not a bad secondary, I'll get to it later tonight :)

After I click certify (no payment due to FAP), I don't have to worry about anything else right? I clicked on application status on the main menu and it states that none of my letters have been received, but I'm assuming that the admissions staff will just download them from AMCAS.
I think you're correct - I pressed certify and it gave me a warning that I would not be able to change anything (as I recall).

Here are prompts for you guys:

Describe yourself:
(1,000 character limit)

(160 character limit)

Not a bad secondary, I'll get to it later tonight :)

Same. Gonna have to think about the "describe yourself" thing for a while. Probably submit tomorrow.

where are you guys putting research experience? Would it be under extra curricular activities?

where are you guys putting research experience? Would it be under extra curricular activities?

I didn't. Did not even think about it haha, I put sports and a hobby...

I think extracurricular=non-academic, which would exclude research, but I could be wrong.

I may have misunderstood, but we were only supposed to mark the activities that we thought were most meaningful to us right? I only chose like 5 or 6 of my AMCAS activities...

I'm guessing they'd rather have something non-academic and not on your primary app for the "life experience" question?

Just noticed I certified before I paid, when the directions say pay and then certify. Hope that's not a problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.