2012-2013 Creighton University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine.

2. Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition.

Both have 2000 character limits.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why there be no love yet for Creighton? I givez hugz!

Why there be no love yet for Creighton? I givez hugz!

If anyone has any questions, I have been accepted to Creighton and would be happy to give my opinions (they may differ from the opinions of people who matter). Good luck with your applications!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Boshtrich,

Thanks for your post. Can you comment on why you chose Creighton? I have heard that the faculty and fellow students are supportive and outgoing. Can you also comment on residency match success and Omaha?

Can anyone remember the essay prompts for the secondary? I would like to get a head start

Can anyone remember the essay prompts for the secondary? I would like to get a head start
.2000 character limit
1.Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine..

.2.Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition.

.2000 character limit
1.Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine..

.2.Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition.

Thanks. I am assuming 2000 characters per question, right?

Hey Boshtrich,

Thanks for your post. Can you comment on why you chose Creighton? I have heard that the faculty and fellow students are supportive and outgoing. Can you also comment on residency match success and Omaha?

I definitely got the sense that Creighton has a very supportive and cooperative atmosphere. All of the medical students I talked to during the interview day said that the faculty and deans are very approachable and supportive. I don't know as much about the residency match success but the dean did say that the majority of students matched at one of their top choices, so I assume it is fairly good. Creighton has a large alumni network and has physicians at lots of hospitals throughout the country, so that helps. Omaha seemed like a pretty standard medium sized city. The downtown area was nice. I haven't really spent enough time there to get a better feel for the city.

The other good thing about Creighton for people applying is that they are more transparent than many other schools. I know during the 2011-2012 cycle, they had an afternoon set aside where someone from the admissions committee (often Dr. Quinn) was available to talk to applicants about specific parts of their applications. Most of the time, they will tell you if they think part of your application is holding you back, or where they would like to see improvements. They are also very receptive to updates. I would recommend sending updated transcripts each semester and sending any updates about new volunteer activities. Overall, keep them updated with your activities, especially ones that weren't on your AMCAS application, and don't be afraid to give them a call if you have questions.

If anyone has any questions, I have been accepted to Creighton and would be happy to give my opinions (they may differ from the opinions of people who matter). Good luck with your applications!

Does this school has a preference for Catholic students? I was curious since the mission statement "In the Jesuit, Catholic tradition of Creighton ..." Thanks.

Does this school has a preference for Catholic students? I was curious since the mission statement "In the Jesuit, Catholic tradition of Creighton ..." Thanks.

I will also be matriculating to Creighton this August and am free to answer any questions.

Creighton doesn't care what religion you follow, if any. The biggest thing that you can do to help your application is having done a lot of service. They are really big on that.

Would you mind saying what your stats were? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you mind saying what your stats were? :)

I had a 3.8 GPA and a 33 MCAT. The rest of my application was pretty standard with quite a bit of hospital volunteering along with some non-clinical volunteering and some research.

Hello All-I attend Creighton University as an undergraduate and planning to apply to CU for medical school (MCAT pending). Overall, I loved my experience at Creighton and would recommend the school to anyone looking for a smaller campus environment. Omaha is not a bad place to live and it quite affordable. Good luck to anyone applying to CU.

.2000 character limit

Thank you for posting this!

hey guys, random question about the secondary essays. I know the religious aspect of Creighton isn't forced on its students in any way, but in the "why creighton" essay is it a bad idea to mention that you'd like to be in a atmosphere conducive to your christian values? (or something like that), also even dumber question: is "Christian" the P.C. way to describe it?

Can anyone weigh on in this question?
4. Have you ever been expelled, dismissed, suspended, placed on probation, or otherwise subject to any disciplinary sanction by any school, college, or university? This can include, but is not limited to, academic cheating, conduct violations, or alcohol policy infractions.

It's under the "Safety" tab. Should I mark yes if I was put on academic probation (for poor grades)? Or is it only about actual infractions.

Should I mark yes if I was put on academic probation (for poor grades)? Or is it only about actual infractions.

I would say yes. Always better to own up to it and have the opportunity to explain it than to have them find out about it later.

I'm actually having a REALLY hard time getting a non-science professor LOR for Creighton. I've been in an MS program for the last year so all my grad school profs are science, and I took science classes for my whole last year of undergrad. I'm having to contact professors I took classes from back in 2010 to see if they even still remember me... lame.

Question.. does Creighton have a specific GPA/MCAT cutoff for sending interview invites?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my secondary! My AMCAS was verified 6/22.

I got my secondary today too, but I was verified 6/6.

Also, I applied with one MCAT score and another score pending. So it seems they don't mind making me spend $95 without knowing my second score (unlike many other schools that wait and then still want you to spend the secondary money even if you have a low MCAT score)

I would say yes. Always better to own up to it and have the opportunity to explain it than to have them find out about it later.

Well it's on my AMCAS and such. I don't mind including it on the secondary. I'm just worried that it will be flagged and put in the same pile as the people with felonies/misdemeanors since it is on the same page of the application.

I'm actually having a REALLY hard time getting a non-science professor LOR for Creighton. I've been in an MS program for the last year so all my grad school profs are science, and I took science classes for my whole last year of undergrad. I'm having to contact professors I took classes from back in 2010 to see if they even still remember me... lame.

Question.. does Creighton have a specific GPA/MCAT cutoff for sending interview invites?

They told me they would accept an employer or extra science in lieu of non-science. Ask them if they'll offer the same to you.

Is anyone else having problems submitting the secondary? I keep putting in my essay questions but when I get to the end of the app to submit it says that I need to enter that information, and when I return to the questions my responses are gone! Luckily I have them all typed and saved on word but I can't seem to get the system to save them...is it because I'm on firefox maybe?

Just answered my own question. Works fine on explorer, so FYI don't use firefox to complete the secondary.

hey guys, random question about the secondary essays. I know the religious aspect of Creighton isn't forced on its students in any way, but in the "why creighton" essay is it a bad idea to mention that you'd like to be in a atmosphere conducive to your christian values? (or something like that), also even dumber question: is "Christian" the P.C. way to describe it?

Very interested in this as well, how PC is it to mention religious values as a motive for attending Creighton? They have it all over their website so it seems like fair game...

right, i mean if they look at my education they'll see I attended a Lutheran high school, obviously in contrast to the catholicism of Creighton, of course I'd never be that specific in an essay about what division of Christianity I mean

Very interested in this as well, how PC is it to mention religious values as a motive for attending Creighton? They have it all over their website so it seems like fair game...

When I wrote my secondary, I just included how some of my personal values mirrored the Jesuit mission (mostly commitment to helping others). I thought talking about values a wiser thing to talk about, just because religion can get a little "sticky" at times.

I was just putting finishing touches on the second essay. I tried to erase the last word, suddenly it all highlighted as I was motioning toward the 'DELETE' button. Boom. All gone. :mad::mad::mad:

Hi--I'm sorry if I offend anyone with this question. Creighton looks like a really great school and is definitely one of my top choices. I'm just worried about my clinical experiences--I did them all at Planned Parenthood. Is this too out of sync with Creighton's values? Is there even a point of applying? On my primary application I did not emphasize anything political, merely the fact that I learned a lot about quality patient care. Thoughts?

people having problems w/ site? Can't save my essays and it keeps crashing on me

Is anyone else having trouble downloading the Creighton video? I have a new mac and it says it will take an hour to download and I have no idea if I even have the apps to run it. I want to say something more than "I want to go to Creighton so I can become a doctor" and thought watching the video might help....

Is anyone else having trouble downloading the Creighton video? I have a new mac and it says it will take an hour to download and I have no idea if I even have the apps to run it. I want to say something more than "I want to go to Creighton so I can become a doctor" and thought watching the video might help....

Last I checked (last year), it was a windows media file and wouldn't run on macs.

There's your first mistake.

I have a Mac and used VMware Fusion to view it through Windows Media

should be able to download VLC player and play it in that.

For those who have submitted secondaries, what was the fee?

hey does anyone know if there's a way to view a pdf of your app after submitting with your picture and everything?

Anyone know if formal physician shadowing is required? I observed physicians during my volunteer period at some hospitals, so I'm wondering if that would count.

i don't think there are ever any concrete "requirements" when it comes to ECs, since exposure to med can come in many different forms

Anyone know if formal physician shadowing is required? I observed physicians during my volunteer period at some hospitals, so I'm wondering if that would count.

While there are no "requirements" for ECs, you need to make sure you shadow. That being said, observing physicians is shadowing them. Just make sure that you articulate that somewhere in your application. I was told by several ADCOMs at Creighton that they don't necessarily care how much you shadow, they just want to know that you know what it is like to be a physician, and you need to be able to articulate why you want to be a physician (taking your shadowing experiences into account).

Looks like I'm out of the running for Creighton. I'm a non-trad and two of my letters are from 2010. I've tried contacting my letter writers to see if they can send updated letters and nothing. Oh well.

Good luck to everyone!

Complete yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.