2012-2013 Creighton University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just checked my status for the first time since being complete and noticed that they classified my LORs on there. my letter that was intended to be my science was not counted as such and a different one was?.. not gonna question it because I apparently met the requirements, weird though! you'd think they'd ask us to classify and then just confirm it.

Members don't see this ad.

just checked my status for the first time since being complete and noticed that they classified my LORs on there. my letter that was intended to be my science was not counted as such and a different one was?.. not gonna question it because I apparently met the requirements, weird though! you'd think they'd ask us to classify and then just confirm it.

I like that their application doesn't require you to 'file' things like many do. It's very straightforward and quick (other than essays, of course). JHU, on the other hand...

Intend to submit this week. Anyone know when interview invites start here this year? I heard from past years they're one of the earlier ones (after Pritzker/Pitt, of course)

All 3 of my required letters are cleared on the status website. I have 2 MD LORs along with the 3 required and they are categorized as other, but on the meets req column it says "no." Is that bad?

Members don't see this ad :)
All 3 of my required letters are cleared on the status website. I have 2 MD LORs along with the 3 required and they are categorized as other, but on the meets req column it says "no." Is that bad?
i'd look on the website to see what the exact requirements were, as long as you have a "yes" by enough letters to meet them you should be okay.

I like that their application doesn't require you to 'file' things like many do. It's very straightforward and quick (other than essays, of course). JHU, on the other hand...

Intend to submit this week. Anyone know when interview invites start here this year? I heard from past years they're one of the earlier ones (after Pritzker/Pitt, of course)

Last year they started interviewing in late August, with invites going our early August. Classes are starting earlier this year, so I don't know if that will affect it at all.

My MD LORs showed up like that also. It doesn't matter. All it means is that it doesn't fall into one of the required categories.

My MD LORs showed up like that also. It doesn't matter. All it means is that it doesn't fall into one of the required categories.

Really? My DO letter says "Yes" next to it. All of my letters say "Yes"

Really? My DO letter says "Yes" next to it. All of my letters say "Yes"

All of the letters I submitted, that weren't one of the required three, said "no" next to them (not just the physician ones). When I asked about it last year about it, I was told that it only said "no" because they weren't one of the three, but they were on file and reviewed with the other letters. If you guys are worried, just email or call them, they are super nice and willing to answer questions. Just make sure you include your AMCAS ID with all your correspondence, it makes their job a lot easier when you do that.

all submitted here now too, real excited about this one too!

All of the letters I submitted, that weren't one of the required three, said "no" next to them (not just the physician ones). When I asked about it last year about it, I was told that it only said "no" because they weren't one of the three, but they were on file and reviewed with the other letters. If you guys are worried, just email or call them, they are super nice and willing to answer questions. Just make sure you include your AMCAS ID with all your correspondence, it makes their job a lot easier when you do that.

Interesting. I submitted more than what's required, but they all say "Yes"

Complete! This is one of my top choices, hoping I get a positive response in a few weeks!

Complete since July 12th! Love everything I've heard and read about Creighton. Hoping I get some love with an interview :)

So I had a "no" next to my letter packet and called them today to see what's going on. Apparently one of my science letters are dated pre-2011, so they will not accept it. Well that's that..

Members don't see this ad :)
So I had a "no" next to my letter packet and called them today to see what's going on. Apparently one of my science letters are dated pre-2011, so they will not accept it. Well that's that..
This school is def one of the Most stringent when it comes to letters.. sorry man that sucks!

Can someone tell me if you think I have a chance here please? I applied in 2011 and was rejected without interview. I'm worried my low PS score as well as my low BCPM gpa from undergrad won't be enough to get me an interview. Here's my stats:

MCAT: 29Q (VR = 12, PS = 7, BS = 10)
Undergrad BCPM: 3.35
Undergrad Cum: 3.56
Graduate BCPM/Cum: 3.59

I'm currently in a Masters of Anatomy program and I have 200-300 hours of volunteering and shadowing in the medical field.

Thanks!

Can someone tell me if you think I have a chance here please? I applied in 2011 and was rejected without interview. I'm worried my low PS score as well as my low BCPM gpa from undergrad won't be enough to get me an interview. Here's my stats:

I'm currently in a Masters of Anatomy program and I have 200-300 hours of volunteering and shadowing in the medical field.

Thanks!

What have you done since last year? While 3.59 isn't low, it's not great. The point of doing graduate work is to show that you can dominate in school.. A 3.6 is hardly dominating. Unless you're a URM, I'd say you don't have a great shot.

Admissions staff often say you should take a full year off before reapplying... I reapplied after getting 2/7 interviews and a waitlist, and BOTH schools rejected me without an interview, and I only got a garbage interview at the end of the cycle.

Now on the other end of things, I tell people to consider taking a year off if they apply unsuccessfully.

Admissions staff often say you should take a full year off before reapplying... I reapplied after getting 2/7 interviews and a waitlist, and BOTH schools rejected me without an interview, and I only got a garbage interview at the end of the cycle.

Now on the other end of things, I tell people to consider taking a year off if they apply unsuccessfully.

Or treat your application cycle year as if you aren't getting in. In other words, take classes, volunteer, work, shadow, etc. Take time off after you get an acceptance. Until then, grind it out just in case.

What have you done since last year? While 3.59 isn't low, it's not great. The point of doing graduate work is to show that you can dominate in school.. A 3.6 is hardly dominating. Unless you're a URM, I'd say you don't have a great shot.

3.6 is an A- average so not bad for grad school when I was taking a huge course load.

Since being rejected I have completed a full year of grad school... my grad program is located IN a med school so I'm taking the exact same classes as med students and our program has to have a higher percentage than the med students do. I'm at the top of my program (all the Master's students) and I'm consistently several points above the average of where the med students are scoring. It's also a teaching program so starting this summer I have been tutoring med students and TA-ing in the gross anatomy lab.

I improved my MCAT by 1 point from last time I applied...I know that's not awesome, but I figure every point helps. It's my PS score that I'm having problems with. I also have more hours of shadowing and volunteering since the last time I applied and I got new letters of recommendation, all from med school professors who I know really well from taking courses with them.

I'm applying to DO schools as well as MD schools.. my stats are actually "high" as far as DO schools are concerned.

I did take a full year-off... found out in May 2011 I was rejected from all schools and I enrolled in grad school in August 2011 and just finished my first year of grad school and now I'm re-applying. By the time I enter med school in Fall 2013 I will have completed my 2-year masters program.

3.6 is an A- average so not bad for grad school when I was taking a huge course load.

Since being rejected I have completed a full year of grad school... my grad program is located IN a med school so I'm taking the exact same classes as med students and our program has to have a higher percentage than the med students do. I'm at the top of my program (all the Master's students) and I'm consistently several points above the average of where the med students are scoring. It's also a teaching program so starting this summer I have been tutoring med students and TA-ing in the gross anatomy lab.

I improved my MCAT by 1 point from last time I applied...I know that's not awesome, but I figure every point helps. It's my PS score that I'm having problems with. I also have more hours of shadowing and volunteering since the last time I applied and I got new letters of recommendation, all from med school professors who I know really well from taking courses with them.

I'm applying to DO schools as well as MD schools.. my stats are actually "high" as far as DO schools are concerned.

I can't tell if you're trolling or just delusional. 3.7 is an A- average, not 3.6. Regardless, like I already said a 3.59 is nice, but it's really not so hot when you're doing the program to prove your ability. Second, I find it highly unlikely that you are taking the "exact same classes" as the med students. If the medical school professors aren't teaching you and writing your tests, you are not taking the exact same classes. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt any school would teach the MS students the same stuff as the MD students.

A 1 point increase on the MCAT really does nothing for your application. It shows that your first score was no fluke and that you are a high 20's MCAT taker (in your case). In general, you want to score at least 3 points higher on a retake.

Finally, your stats.

Those are not "high" for DO schools. Your GPA is about average and your MCAT is ever so slightly above average for most schools and average at some of the better schools. In addition, you got a 7 on a section. That won't get you screened out of any DO programs, but it's still a low sub-section score.

Thanks!

Why not just apply? I feel like so many people on this site worry about their "chances." If you want to go to medical school, you have to apply, so why not give it a shot. A 12 on verbal is awesome. You seem to have some good experience, and you're consistent with your GPA. I don't want to undermine MedPR, because he put a lot of thought into your credentials, but I say give it a shot.

I can't tell if you're trolling or just delusional. 3.7 is an A- average, not 3.6. Regardless, like I already said a 3.59 is nice, but it's really not so hot when you're doing the program to prove your ability. Second, I find it highly unlikely that you are taking the "exact same classes" as the med students. If the medical school professors aren't teaching you and writing your tests, you are not taking the exact same classes. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt any school would teach the MS students the same stuff as the MD students.

A 1 point increase on the MCAT really does nothing for your application. It shows that your first score was no fluke and that you are a high 20's MCAT taker (in your case). In general, you want to score at least 3 points higher on a retake.

Finally, your stats.

Those are not "high" for DO schools. Your GPA is about average and your MCAT is ever so slightly above average for most schools and average at some of the better schools. In addition, you got a 7 on a section. That won't get you screened out of any DO programs, but it's still a low sub-section score.

3.6 is considered an A- average at my school - but whatever, I'll give you that one.

You are wrong on the next point though, sir - I'm taking the exact same classes as medical students because I sit in lecture hall next to them every day and I dissect on the same body as them in the anatomy lab. Biochemistry, Gross Anatomy, Cell Biology, Immunology, Microbiology, Physiology, & Neuroanatomy - these are the courses I have taken with medical school students. The lectures are given to a combo of medical, podiatry, PT, PA, and MS students. And the professors that teach these courses are the professors that wrote my LORs. The only courses I've taken without med students were the teaching seminars which are required for my MS degree. MS students have to maintain an 80% average in the program and my average is a 90% - highest out of all the MS students. Other students only have to maintain a 70% average.

Also, according to the osteopathic handbook published in 2012 and accessible via the AACOMAS website, for 2010, these were the average stats of entering applicants in DO programs:

sci GPA = 3.36
cum GPA = 3.47
MCAT = 26.5

So I don't know what you consider to be high, but I'm considering anything above average to be high and I'm above average on all counts except for my undergrad science GPA which is right at average.

And did I mention that I TEACH the medical students? That alone, combined with my performance in REAL med school classes shows that I can handle the workload of medical school.

Why not just apply? I feel like so many people on this site worry about their "chances." If you want to go to medical school, you have to apply, so why not give it a shot. A 12 on verbal is awesome. You seem to have some good experience, and you're consistent with your GPA. I don't want to undermine MedPR, because he put a lot of thought into your credentials, but I say give it a shot.

Thanks. I know.... I applied to a lot of schools on the primary so I'm just trying to decide if I want to return all the secondaries or not. Trying to figure out how much money I can spend and trying to do secondaries only for the schools I have the best chances at (since I can't afford them all). I appreciate your help though :)

Creighton is one of my reach schools so that's why I'm debating not returning the secondary.

3.6 is considered an A- average at my school - but whatever, I'll give you that one.

You are wrong on the next point though, sir - I'm taking the exact same classes as medical students because I sit in lecture hall next to them every day and I dissect on the same body as them in the anatomy lab. Biochemistry, Gross Anatomy, Cell Biology, Immunology, Microbiology, Physiology, & Neuroanatomy - these are the courses I have taken with medical school students. The lectures are given to a combo of medical, podiatry, PT, PA, and MS students. And the professors that teach these courses are the professors that wrote my LORs. The only courses I've taken without med students were the teaching seminars which are required for my MS degree. MS students have to maintain an 80% average in the program and my average is a 90% - highest out of all the MS students. Other students only have to maintain a 70% average.

Also, according to the osteopathic handbook published in 2012 and accessible via the AACOMAS website, for 2010, these were the average stats of entering applicants in DO programs:

sci GPA = 3.36
cum GPA = 3.47
MCAT = 26.5

So I don't know what you consider to be high, but I'm considering anything above average to be high and I'm above average on all counts except for my undergrad science GPA which is right at average.

And did I mention that I TEACH the medical students? That alone, combined with my performance in REAL med school classes shows that I can handle the workload of medical school.
I don't want to get in an argument but you seem to be pretty confident in your chances to me.

Thanks. I know.... I applied to a lot of schools on the primary so I'm just trying to decide if I want to return all the secondaries or not. Trying to figure out how much money I can spend and trying to do secondaries only for the schools I have the best chances at (since I can't afford them all). I appreciate your help though :)

Creighton is one of my reach schools so that's why I'm debating not returning the secondary.

Makes sense. I just didn't want you to get discouraged.

I don't want to get in an argument but you seem to be pretty confident in your chances to me.

I'm confident about DO schools. MD schools are where I may not have a chance, so that's why I posted.

Thanks!

The students that started in 2011 at CUSOM with a graduate degree had a cumulate sciGPA of 3.81. I don't think it hurts any to apply here, from what I have heard, Creighton looks highly upon reapplicants. Just make sure you have done a lot of service, I have seen people with way better stats not make it into CU, but people with way lower stats that had a ton of service made it.

1. Different schools have different scales for what GPA means
2. There are lots of schools that have graduate programs where the students take classes with the med students. Creighton actually has a masters in clinical anatomy, where the CA students take gross with the med students, and then turn around and teach it the following fall to the next class. The difference is mostly the class load, from what I have seen. At Creighton, the clinical anatomy students take gross with the med students, but have a way lighter load (they aren't also taking MCB, IPE, medical humanities, or ethics during that semester)

The students that started in 2011 at CUSOM with a graduate degree had a cumulate sciGPA of 3.81. I don't think it hurts any to apply here, from what I have heard, Creighton looks highly upon reapplicants. Just make sure you have done a lot of service, I have seen people with way better stats not make it into CU, but people with way lower stats that had a ton of service made it.

Good to know, thanks.

Has anyone's "Last Updated Date" change? Mine has twice and I don't know what this means. I have been complete since July 11th.

Has anyone's "Last Updated Date" change? Mine has twice and I don't know what this means. I have been complete since July 11th.

I think it either means that someone added something to your file, someone looked at your file, or there was an update to the whole system. You can check out the 2011-2012 thread to see everyone obsessing about the updates last year. Early on in the cycle, it's pretty meaningless as they are actively reviewing all the applications they get. In general, I wouldn't look too far into it.

Hi all. Finally getting started on this secondary now that my summer internship is winding down. It's pretty straight forward, which is good since my brain is essentially turning into infant food grade carrot mush with all this essay writing.

I know some of you mentioned concerns about religious affiliation and the school, and I'd like to throw in my .02 since I attend a Jesuit school. I'm not Catholic and went to public high school. Approximately 1/2 of my college isn't Catholic, and 1/3 of of the students identify as non-Protestant/non-Christian as well (heck, my physics prof is Jewish). That seems to be pretty typical of Jesuit schools to my knowledge. The atmosphere is very academically minded and incredibly tolerant. Sure, there is a pro-life club on campus, but we also have a GLBT club. So, my point is, don't NOT submit a secondary because you're worried about the affiliation holding you back.

Complete! Last year I believe II's started going out in the first couple of days in August. Hoping to hear something soon, I really love this school!

Hi all. Finally getting started on this secondary now that my summer internship is winding down. It's pretty straight forward, which is good since my brain is essentially turning into infant food grade carrot mush with all this essay writing.

I know some of you mentioned concerns about religious affiliation and the school, and I'd like to throw in my .02 since I attend a Jesuit school. I'm not Catholic and went to public high school. Approximately 1/2 of my college isn't Catholic, and 1/3 of of the students identify as non-Protestant/non-Christian as well (heck, my physics prof is Jewish). That seems to be pretty typical of Jesuit schools to my knowledge. The atmosphere is very academically minded and incredibly tolerant. Sure, there is a pro-life club on campus, but we also have a GLBT club. So, my point is, don't NOT submit a secondary because you're worried about the affiliation holding you back.

+1. Same is true at my Jesuit UG. Tolerance and equality are big even if the Catholic church isn't known for such things.

Why don't you want my money Creighton!? Everytime I hit submit payment, I get a weird error about my credit card info not being valid.

Why don't you want my money Creighton!? Everytime I hit submit payment, I get a weird error about my credit card info not being valid.

:idea:

Surgeons earn a lot of money.

Is it considered blood money?

I'm so anxious for interview invites to go out!!! I LOVE Creighton, but I'm unfortunately just an average applicant. Really hoping I get lucky!

I'm so anxious for interview invites to go out!!! I LOVE Creighton, but I'm unfortunately just an average applicant. Really hoping I get lucky!

Would you mind defining average for us? Just curious what your stats are. Good luck! I see you're a Hawkeye... good choice!

usually when I hear average or below average applicant on this forum I think of this:

SDN "I'm an Average Applicant"- 3.89 cGPA, 3.88 sGPA, 35S
SDN "I really hope I have a shot cause I'm a Below Average" Applicant-3.82 cGPA,3.8 sGPA, 35S

usually when I hear average or below average applicant on this forum I think of this:

SDN "I'm an Average Applicant"- 3.89 cGPA, 3.88 sGPA, 35S
SDN "I really hope I have a shot cause I'm a Below Average" Applicant-3.82 cGPA,3.8 sGPA, 35S

That's not at all what I think. Anyways, it doesn't matter what WE think - it matters what the original poster considers to be average (which is why I asked him/her).

Would you mind defining average for us? Just curious what your stats are. Good luck! I see you're a Hawkeye... good choice!

Every time I hear someone on SDN say "Average" it's always a cGPA > 3.8 and an MCAT > 32.

"Average" applicant would be more like a 3.5 3.53 and a 27 28.

"Average" matriculant would be a 3.67 and a 31.1.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard much about the Phoenix program from participating students? I've read up on it but would love to hear how it's going from the students' perspective.

Well, my stats are 32Q, cGPA: 3.62, sGPA:3.58. Average in MY book, but I'm not the average over-achieving SDN-er, obviously :p

To anyone else who is having trouble submitting the secondary fee, I just talked to someone in admissions and was told that they will have IT look into it.

32 is well above average..

Isn't it the national average MCAT of those accepted? Or have I been mislead by my egotistical pre-med friends?

Eeep. Either way, I'm hoping for some love from Creighton! I'm a reapplicant, too. Anyone else??

Status
Not open for further replies.