2012-2013 Emory University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

What were your stats, if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I am an incoming MS-1 this year, so I don't know much yet other than the basic applicant information, but I will soon! I hope to be of use to anyone who needs it.

Hello! I am an incoming MS-1 this year, so I don't know much yet other than the basic applicant information, but I will soon! I hope to be of use to anyone who needs it.

What made you decide to go to Emory over other schools?

Don't mind me, just another applicant....

What made you decide to go to Emory over other schools?

I had a few other acceptances, but once I got Emory, that was the end of my search. The general feeling of campus, students, and staff is so welcoming and friendly. The resources at Emory are superior to many places, due to the proximity of the CDC (Center of Disease Control) and Grady Hospital. Grady is a community safety net hospital, which means that you see all stages of the common diseases (and uncommon) and due to the large influx of patients, even medical students are able to get a great deal of hands-on experience. Plus, Emory students typically have very good success for residency.

Application is in! Emory is a very long shot for me, but a girl's gotta dream, right? Good luck, everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

Just got an email from Emory acknowledging my application and saying that secondaries would be available in mid-July :)

Can't wait!!

Got that email too! This cycle is a few weeks behind last one ...

Hmm not me. Verified 6/5. Still waiting on committed letter to come in but that shouldn't hold up my secondaries

Quiet here too. Submitted 6/7, verified 6/19, re-verified 6/29 after an academic change request...

Got email that says to expect secondary in mid July.

I got the email and my letters are not in yet.

They're in the process of entering thousands of us into their system, and right before a holiday (so people in their offices are probably taking vacation around this time). I'm not a 'stellar applicant' so if I got an email I'm sure yours will arrive within the next few days! :)

Don't freak out if you don't get a secondary or even interview when you think you ought to receive one. I had a strong overall application, yet when I hadn't heard anything from Emory for months after I submitted my secondary in late July/early August, I wrote the school off and was planning to go to another school.

However, I received my interview invite 3 days before Christmas, got the acceptance at the soonest possible date, and had generous aid. Who can figure?

So as much as possible, just relax. This is a very long cycle, and it's not over until it's over.

Just got it.

Same here. Also, here are the prompts:

A. If it was not included on your AMCAS application, please list your entire curriculum plan for the 2012-2013 academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe (in 100 words or less) what you are doing now.

B. Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.

C. Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) your interest in Emory.

D. What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community? (100 words or less)

E. Do you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application? If so, please describe below. (100 words or less)

Also, if you're aplying MD/MPH, we get an extra question:

Please describe any past experience in public health and how you wish to combine medicine with public health in your future career (500 words or less).

Also, what are you guys doing for B?

It is asking to describe health related experienceS, as in, all of them? In 100 words? Uh, what?:confused:

Also, what are you guys doing for B?

It is asking to describe health related experienceS, as in, all of them? In 100 words? Uh, what?:confused:

I only have shadowing a hospital volunteering. I was able to convey everything in 5 sentences...3 about shadowing and 2 about volunteering. You just cant go into serious detail.

Damn that secondary looks easy. Wish they would send it to me :/

I only have shadowing a hospital volunteering. I was able to convey everything in 5 sentences...3 about shadowing and 2 about volunteering. You just cant go into serious detail.

I guess I'll be doing something similar. It just seems like a very trivial question. Experiences without any sort of detailed explanation doesn't sound like med school secondaries at all.....

Just submitted!
Yea you just can't go into too much depth, especially for the first 2. The last 2 I felt I did a good job in like 4-5 sentences each, you just need to be concise.

For this question "The interview season is September 2012 through late February 2013.Where will you be during this time? (Limit 1000 characters)," what really are they asking? Where will we be physically? Or what?

For this question "The interview season is September 2012 through late February 2013.Where will you be during this time? (Limit 1000 characters)," what really are they asking? Where will we be physically? Or what?

I literally said, I will be in "random city." That's it.

I literally said, I will be in "random city." That's it.

I just really wonder why they give us 1000 characters to fill it out. It takes like...20. Why am I being mind****ed and I'm not even on the essay questions?!

I just really wonder why they give us 1000 characters to fill it out. It takes like...20. Why am I being mind****ed and I'm not even on the essay questions?!

I would have explained what I will be doing also considering it was 1000 characters, but didnt because of the other question about my activities over the next year.

Damn that secondary looks easy. Wish they would send it to me :/

seriously.. if they sent out that very first email to everyone at the same time, why are they staggering the secondary? especially starting on a friday.. when were you verified? i'm trying to find some pattern because this is my first choice school!

I would have explained what I will be doing also considering it was 1000 characters, but didnt because of the other question about my activities over the next year.

Good point. Oh well. I answered the question they asked.

Anyone else unable to access the cc payment portal?

NM it's working now, maybe just a problem at the time I was trying to submit before...

Can I submit Emory's without a secondary invite email? I was verified 6/5, chose to add Emory on 6/29, and I received the "secondary coming July 2012" email around the same time as everyone else. I haven't received the invite yet, though.

Can I submit Emory's without a secondary invite email? I was verified 6/5, chose to add Emory on 6/29, and I received the "secondary coming July 2012" email around the same time as everyone else. I haven't received the invite yet, though.

I wouldn't do it...I've heard stories of people doing that previous years and getting straight rejected because of it. Just keep waiting, I'm sure you'll get one. If you're really worried, just call the Admissions Office and ask what the hold up is.

i wouldn't do it...i've heard stories of people doing that previous years and getting straight rejected because of it. Just keep waiting, i'm sure you'll get one. If you're really worried, just call the admissions office and ask what the hold up is.

+1

Question about individual LORs- from the Emory website, they require "Three letters of recommendation from individuals, two of whom should be individual familiar with your knowledge in the sciences"

Would a research PI count as one of the two? Mine is certainly "familiar with my knowledge in the sciences" but is it safer to stick with a professor who taught me in a class?

Question about individual LORs- from the Emory website, they require "Three letters of recommendation from individuals, two of whom should be individual familiar with your knowledge in the sciences"

Would a research PI count as one of the two? Mine is certainly "familiar with my knowledge in the sciences" but is it safer to stick with a professor who taught me in a class?

Do you have a committee letter?

Nope, no committee at my school so I'm going with the 3 individual letters option.

Status
Not open for further replies.