2012-2013 Emory University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about individual LORs- from the Emory website, they require "Three letters of recommendation from individuals, two of whom should be individual familiar with your knowledge in the sciences"

Would a research PI count as one of the two? Mine is certainly "familiar with my knowledge in the sciences" but is it safer to stick with a professor who taught me in a class?

From the Emory website FAQ: We strongly suggest you submit two letters from the professors who taught you in the hard sciences (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) in your undergraduate or post-baccalaureate education or from someone familiar with your research and knowledge in the sciences.

I think this implies research supervisors

Members don't see this ad.

From the Emory website FAQ: We strongly suggest you submit two letters from the professors who taught you in the hard sciences (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) in your undergraduate or post-baccalaureate education or from someone familiar with your research and knowledge in the sciences.

I think this implies research supervisors

:thumbup: Ah I totally missed that. Thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can we assign more than 3 lor, or are they pretty strict at keeping it to 3?

From their FAQs:

May I send additional letters of recommendations?
You may submit additional letters of recommendation, but keep in mind that the Admissions Committee may not be able to read an excessive amount of letters. Please limit additional letters to just a few.

From their FAQs:

May I send additional letters of recommendations?
You may submit additional letters of recommendation, but keep in mind that the Admissions Committee may not be able to read an excessive amount of letters. Please limit additional letters to just a few.

Thanks Tophs :)!

Got my secondary just now. Here are the questions:

*The interview season is September 2012 through late February 2013.Where will you be during this time? (Limit 1000 characters)

* If it was not included on your AMCAS application, please list your entire curriculum plan for the 2012-2013 academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe (in 100 words or less) what you are doing now.

* Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.

* Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) your interest in Emory.

* What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community? (100 words or less)

Do you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application? If so, please describe below. (100 words or less)

For this question "The interview season is September 2012 through late February 2013.Where will you be during this time? (Limit 1000 characters)," what really are they asking? Where will we be physically? Or what?

I called and they said it's just to know where you will physically be.

OK, how strict are they about the 100 word limit? I don't know how to approach the question about health care experiences. A hundred words doesn't really give me much room to talk about my experiences, and such. I wrote it out but it came to 250 words.

OK, how strict are they about the 100 word limit? I don't know how to approach the question about health care experiences. A hundred words doesn't really give me much room to talk about my experiences, and such. I wrote it out but it came to 250 words.

It's obviously up to you what you decide to do, but do you really want to take a chance of an adcom throwing your application out because they were annoyed at the fact you couldn't follow simple instructions for a word limit? If other people can keep it at 100 words at most, you can find a way to also. Cut down your descriptions if you need to. I'm sure you gave a thorough enough explanation in your primary application. If you don't want to make your response shorter, call Emory and see if the 100 word limit is a hard cut-off or not.

Notice some of the questions say "in 100 words or less" and others say "approximately 100 words." I went over just slightly on one of the ones that said "approximately" but I think 250 words would be extremely excessive when they ask for 100.

For the approx one I wrote 120 for one and 139 for another. For the one that said 100 or less I did 99. I think 250 is excessive but I wouldent think they'd throw you out if you went 50 words over thatd be the most I would risk though.

For those of you who have submitted secondaries, how long did it take for your application to be marked complete? All of my letters are in, and I just submitted the secondary and paid, but it says my application is not yet complete! :(

For those of you who have submitted secondaries, how long did it take for your application to be marked complete? All of my letters are in, and I just submitted the secondary and paid, but it says my application is not yet complete! :(

I submitted on Friday, my letters are there, and I am still not complete either. If you read on your status page it says:

Your application will not be completed until ALL the letters you listed have been received in AMCAS. Please note that it may take up to 2 weeks to formally complete your application. Once your application has been formally completed, you will receive an email to confirm that your application has been completed.

This is a long process so dont kill yourself stressing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol thanks! I'm working abroad, so I'm trying to make sure I'm doing everything right :D

Is anyone complete? I submitted like 10th ish....didn't think it'd take this long this early

Did anybody leave the "updates or new information to report" question blank? I don't have anything new that's happened in the summer so I have nothing to put but I feel uncomfortable leaving a question blank.

Did anybody leave the "updates or new information to report" question blank? I don't have anything new that's happened in the summer so I have nothing to put but I feel uncomfortable leaving a question blank.

I left it blank. I already covered what I was doing in the question about my year off activities. Also did not have anything significant happen in the past ~2 months.

I left it blank. I already covered what I was doing in the question about my year off activities. Also did not have anything significant happen in the past ~2 months.
Thanks. I feel a lot better now.

Regarding the community essay, do they mean the surrounding community or the medical community? I thought it was the first but then I started thinking that they may have referred to the latter.

Regarding the community essay, do they mean the surrounding community or the medical community? I thought it was the first but then I started thinking that they may have referred to the latter.

I'm pretty sure it's up for interpretation. Pick whichever you want...at least that's what I'll be doing.

Feel free to leave that blank - I did. That's a good space if you have anything coming up, like poster presentations/anything significant to your app.

Whatever it means to you. FWIW, I did the surrounding community, but I'm sure interpretating it as the medical community would work fine.

Hm so I'm planning on studying abroad in the spring but nothing's concrete yet- i'm probably going to submit my application for it this upcoming week. Do you guys think I should still include that in the "what are you doing now" part, saying that I hope to study abroad in the spring? Or should I wait until my plans are finalized and then send them an update letter?

Hm so I'm planning on studying abroad in the spring but nothing's concrete yet- i'm probably going to submit my application for it this upcoming week. Do you guys think I should still include that in the "what are you doing now" part, saying that I hope to study abroad in the spring? Or should I wait until my plans are finalized and then send them an update letter?
I think an update letter would be better. If you don't do it then there's nothing to worry about. But if you put it in the application it might get brought up in an interview and they'll wonder why you wrote about it but didn't follow through (if that ends up being the case). It's up to you and how sure you are about the study abroad activity.

I think it's fine if you mention it now. They are asking for plans, and know that plans are always subject to change. If the study abroad doesn't fall through, make sure you have a good reason to tell them in an interview.

Anyone else having trouble with the payment system?

Anyone else having trouble with the payment system?
I had a problem opening it at first. I closed my browser and tried a few minutes later and I was able to submit with no problems.

If you all had to guess, what do you think is the lowest MCAT score (of a white applicant) to ever have been asked for an interview? This is my first choice, I spent a summer doing intensive research here, and I feel like I have a perfect application/LORS for them. (Except for my 30Q, which i hear might get me thrown out)

Last edited:
If you all had to guess, what do you think is the lowest MCAT score (of a white applicant) to ever have been asked for an interview? This is my first choice, I spent a summer doing intensive research here, and I feel like I have a perfect application/LORS for them. (Except for my 30Q, which i hear might get me thrown out)

You'll drive yourself crazy if you try to pick limits or if you try to guess if you don't meet the criteria. If you have passion for the school, that will show through your app, and then your interview. And if you don't get an interview in the first few months (yes, I mean months), that does not mean you are thrown out, not necessarily.

I waited 5 months from being complete and turning in my secondary to my interview invite, and I got a straight acceptance, not even waitlist.

I think an update letter would be better. If you don't do it then there's nothing to worry about. But if you put it in the application it might get brought up in an interview and they'll wonder why you wrote about it but didn't follow through (if that ends up being the case). It's up to you and how sure you are about the study abroad activity.

Thanks for your replies syfte3 and collegestud2013! I guess I'm going to wait for my plans to become more concrete and then send an update letter because I don't really know what my excuse would be if they fell through haha

Just curious, is anybody complete yet?

Does anyone else's why Emory essay sound kind of generic? I was trying to make an effort to incorporate my own experiences but obviously the space is a bit tight... any suggestions for this?

Yeah, same problem. 100 words is just tool short IMHO. It ends up sounding all choppy. No length allowed to really substantiate a thought.

You have to be efficient with your words. The beauty of such a short prompt is that you have to fit a meaningful message into a compact statement. 100 words is enough, if you choose your words correctly.

You have to be efficient with your words. The beauty of such a short prompt is that you have to fit a meaningful message into a compact statement. 100 words is enough, if you choose your words correctly.

Thanks.. also, is it ok if we get to about 117 words, or is that risking it (for the prompts that say "approx. 100 words)..

Anyone complete yet? It's been ~10 days since I submitted and have had letters in...no change yet.

Anyone complete yet? It's been ~10 days since I submitted and have had letters in...no change yet.

Nope. I submitted on 7/16 and am still listed as not yet complete. The site does say " Please note that it may take up to 2 weeks to formally complete your application," though!

For the research question:

List in chronological order all of your significant research experiences (e.g. those experiences that were 8 weeks or longer). Make sure to include the dates, Mentor/PI, institution, and number of hours per weeks spent on the project. Additionally, briefly describe (in 250 words or less) your research projects, including goals and background, methodology, results, and related publications.

Does that mean 250 words total or 250 words per project/research experience? Would have to cut my answer down a lot to fit 250 words total haha.

For the research question:

List in chronological order all of your significant research experiences (e.g. those experiences that were 8 weeks or longer). Make sure to include the dates, Mentor/PI, institution, and number of hours per weeks spent on the project. Additionally, briefly describe (in 250 words or less) your research projects, including goals and background, methodology, results, and related publications.

Does that mean 250 words total or 250 words per project/research experience? Would have to cut my answer down a lot to fit 250 words total haha.
Is that for md/phd? because I didn't see this on my application.

Nope. I submitted on 7/16 and am still listed as not yet complete. The site does say " Please note that it may take up to 2 weeks to formally complete your application," though!

Anyone complete yet? It's been 2.5 weeks for me already

For the health experiences prompt, did people just sort of list what they did and their duties, or did they talk about what they learned from them as well? I have three health related activities, and it really seems like I only have space to list the activity and give a sentence about more specifically about what I did.

For the health experiences prompt, did people just sort of list what they did and their duties, or did they talk about what they learned from them as well? I have three health related activities, and it really seems like I only have space to list the activity and give a sentence about more specifically about what I did.

I just listed the experience and what I did / what my responsibilities were (obviously in a nice paragraph format). If you have more than one experience I think its unrealistic to write about what you learned as well.

This may be a silly question, but I'm asking it anyway to be sure. For the A) part about listing your entire curriculum plan for the 2012-2013 school year, I'm assuming they mean list all the classes you are going to take for those semesters. If you are unsure about your classes, like those for the spring, do you just list the ones you know you will be taking and write something along the lines of "other courses as yet undecided, but will be full-time student"?

Submitted 7/18 and I'm not listed as complete yet either. But I'm going to give it 2 weeks before I start getting nervous. Hard not to be nervous, though - Emory is my 1st choice by far :xf:

Submitted 7/18 and I'm not listed as complete yet either. But I'm going to give it 2 weeks before I start getting nervous. Hard not to be nervous, though - Emory is my 1st choice by far :xf:

Are your letters received?

Are your letters received?
Not the same person but I submitted 7/26 with my letters in 7/20, no completion yet.. I think they're still working through all of the apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.