2012-2013 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No secondary essays!

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi there!

I was just wondering if anyone can clue me in on the LOR requirements for a non-trad? I went to the school website and they gave scenarios for undergrad and grad students but not someone out of school? Or are they suggesting that we need letters from undergrad, grad and whatever other optional letters we want to include? Any input/clarification would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there!

I was just wondering if anyone can clue me in on the LOR requirements for a non-trad? I went to the school website and they gave scenarios for undergrad and grad students but not someone out of school? Or are they suggesting that we need letters from undergrad, grad and whatever other optional letters we want to include? Any input/clarification would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
To the best of my knowledge there are no special requirements for non-trads (such as an employer letter). So, follow the recommendation that is most appropriate to you. If in doubt go ahead and contact the admissions office because the staff is very helpful.

To the best of my knowledge there are no special requirements for non-trads (such as an employer letter). So, follow the recommendation that is most appropriate to you. If in doubt go ahead and contact the admissions office because the staff is very helpful.
Agreed on both points. You should follow what it says on the site, and if you have questions still then send them an email/call them up and they'll help you out. I attended grad school very breifly and was unsure of where that fell and they gave me a quick reply that was specific to my situation. I ended up with a letter from my boss and two from post-bacc profs.

I felt like one of my greatest assets was having been in the workforce for ~10 years, and especially the work I was doing, so I made sure to include an employer letter. IMO it looks kind of weird if you've been working for 5+ years and have no letter to support your abilities as a functioning adult/employee (though I do understand not wanting to ask for a letter if your employer doesn't know you're leaving).

on the WL here! obviously hoping and praying to get off, but since I'm still in the 2nd quartile time to get realistic. already submit my amcas here. this is my number one choice, grew up about 20 min away

on the WL here! obviously hoping and praying to get off, but since I'm still in the 2nd quartile time to get realistic. already submit my amcas here. this is my number one choice, grew up about 20 min away

Same here. Would love to get some love from MCW. Plus, they are the only schools I could go to that wouldn't force me to move, which would be nice.

Same here. Would love to get some love from MCW. Plus, they are the only schools I could go to that wouldn't force me to move, which would be nice.
yeah the whole thing is kinda weird considering they're a private school, and yet we WI residents have to fill out this long drawn out app to prove we are residents so that if we get accepted we can get a ~$5000 deduction on tuition. come on it HAS to matter a little that we are mke natives, :)

same...this website sucks so far haha

Edit: wow, thanks for calling! I was just about to do that myself.

so we don't have to do anything besides answer the 3 questions, tell about letter and pay?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the secondary today but every time I try and log in there's an error.. I've tried Chrome and IE so far. Oh well I'll try again later.

Does anyone know what the cutoff GPA/MCAT for interviews are? I'm worried because my overall MCAT is competitive, but my physical sciences score is a little low compared to the other sections.

i don't think there is really an established "cutoff", but what exactly is your "low" score? I have a 9 in PS and I got an interview last year

agreed on the website can't even click on any of the side links lol gonna have to use my bro's pc I guess

i don't think there is really an established "cutoff", but what exactly is your "low" score? I have a 9 in PS and I got an interview last year

I got a 7 in PS.. it's embarrassingly low but I've taken the MCAT twice and I just struggle with that section. My other two sections are 11+

I know for example the University of Iowa interviews all Iowa residents who have at least 8, 8, 7... other schools may interview at least 9, 9, 9. But I'm hoping most schools look at the total and my one low score doesn't affect me that much.

Can anyone access the website? It doesn't seem to work on IE, FF, or chrome for me for PC right now.... or Mac for that matter.

Can anyone access the website? It doesn't seem to work on IE, FF, or chrome for me for PC right now.... or Mac for that matter.
I got on and answered the three questions but it had an error before it could save my answers.. ah well. It's a really easy secondary.

awesome thanks guys! glad I'm not the only one. Guess they're probably fixing it... I'll try again later :)

You'll most likely be "small pooled" before getting pulled for an interview.

Anyone with < 9 in any section gets placed in there for further review before being invited to interview. They do pull from this pool, but some people just get stuck in this "pool" forever and are never invited.

I got a 7 in PS.. it's embarrassingly low but I've taken the MCAT twice and I just struggle with that section. My other two sections are 11+

I know for example the University of Iowa interviews all Iowa residents who have at least 8, 8, 7... other schools may interview at least 9, 9, 9. But I'm hoping most schools look at the total and my one low score doesn't affect me that much.

oh yay secondary's back!

Anyone with < 9 in any section gets placed in there for further review before being invited to interview. They do pull from this pool, but some people just get stuck in this "pool" forever and are never invited.

looks like everyone was small pooled last year before receiving an interview. some didn't come out, but i think it's a necessary first step.

nah, currently busted again after trying to upload a picture.

Must be only able to handle one viewer at a time before popping a cork.

Ooh you're right. I was on the instructions.

OK thanks for the info. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to pay the secondary fee.. if I even have a shot or not.

I applied in 2011 and didn't get in (to any medical schools, not just MCW) but I have improved my MCAT and GPA since then. I've also been getting my Masters at Des Moines University (an osteopathic school) and taking the same classes that the DO students take so I am really hoping I have a shot this year... I just hate paying the secondary fee if somewhere is just going to reject me because of that one MCAT score without a second look, so that's what I'm trying to figure out.

Thanks for the insight :)

I applied here and haven't gotten a secondary yet... Does this place have a cut off I don't know about or is it just coming in batches? Never too early to worry, I guess.

(My application has been verified, and I've gotten secondaries from a few other schools!)

The site is still broken for me..sometimes I get into the instructions haha. Anyone get the whole thing to work yet?

The site is still broken for me..sometimes I get into the instructions haha. Anyone get the whole thing to work yet?

Same here. I just keep on clicking until it gives me the page. :laugh:

I'm thinking there's so many people on it - server can't handle it. I'll prob try late tonight or early mornings to see if this site has settled down a lil.

Frankly, as the way the site is working currently, I would be afraid to submit the payment portion of this secondary...billing errors and whatnot.

Have to give it awhile. Looks more like database issue than server volume, if so, might not be fixed until next week.

Good to know I'm not the only one that can't access the website. I thought it was my crappy work computers. Troll MCW. First one to send out secondaries, but their site doesn't work. Perhaps they think that they'll get the best applicants if they submit early ;)

I think they've shut their app site down entirely.

Am I the only one that didn't receive a secondary today?

Good to know I'm not the only one that can't access the website. I thought it was my crappy work computers. Troll MCW. First one to send out secondaries, but their site doesn't work. Perhaps they think that they'll get the best applicants if they submit early ;)

I'm on a mac; tried Safari and Firefox. Nada. Anyone else using a mac w/ success? I know it said Explorer/PC is rec'd.

I'm on a mac; tried Safari and Firefox. Nada. Anyone else using a mac w/ success? I know it said Explorer/PC is rec'd.

it's their server that's down and has nothing to do with your operating system or browser.

Come on MCW, I would love to be able to pay you $70, why won't you let me?

I didn't get a secondary D:. I find it hard to believe I didn't meet their auto-cutoff; maybe it's not automatic?

Just to make sure. There are no essays in the secondaries, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.