2012-2013 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't really learn anything that new about MCW, but I took away a few things.

-Dr. Hoagland is awesome! Fantastic instructor. The digital anatomy table is pretty sexy too. If all the other instructors are as good as Dr. Hoagland seems to be MCW is gonna be a lot of fun.
-Jennifer the admissions director is great
-Sounded like there were some bugs still being worked out with the new curriculum (and a lack of elective time in third year, which they are working on). Students said that the faculty listen to them and implement their advice.

Sent from my XT881 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

-Dr. Hoagland is awesome! Fantastic instructor. The digital anatomy table is pretty sexy too. If all the other instructors are as good as Dr. Hoagland seems to be MCW is gonna be a lot of fun.
-Sounded like there were some bugs still being worked out with the new curriculum (and a lack of elective time in third year, which they are working on). Students said that the faculty listen to them and implement their advice.

agreed with all. also the day kind of put me at ease a little and made this all feel a little less mysterious... if that makes sense.

Did they mention when financial aid packets will come out at second look?

Members don't see this ad :)

I didn't attend second look so there may be something more precise that has been put out about when awards will be posted but I do have an email from Linda DiCesare stating that "in late April you will receive information regarding your award" That was an email response to a question I had for the financial aid dept at MCW.

This is spot on :)

Also, if you already did your master promissory note and it isn't showing up on the web page at fin. Aid, it is because they have not begun to look at them.

They were really kind/clear when I talked to them.

Hey! Anyone know what was on the flash drive they gave us on interview day? anything interesting? I seem to have lost mine

Hey! Anyone know what was on the flash drive they gave us on interview day? anything interesting? I seem to have lost mine

Just facts, match results, research opportunities, list of student info, a thing about the simulated patients, and technology info. Prob nothing you couldnt find on the website.

Anybody know how helpful letters of intent can be to someone on the waitlist?

Can any current students comment on the financial aid packages? Are there traditionally any need based or merit based money?

Most of you are ridiculously enthusiastic about the Medical College.

It's an awesome medical school, and congratulations if you got in.

Yeah, it's pretty dope, yo.

For me, the only factor which will help me decide between which school to attend is $$$$$. The dollar speaks louder. I hope MCW gives out a nice package to all of us who are in need.

For me, the only factor which will help me decide between which school to attend is $$$$$. The dollar speaks louder. I hope MCW gives out a nice package to all of us who are in need.

I guess that's one way to look at it but honestly I've heard a lot of unhappy people who chose that route. There is nothing you tying you somewhere? Family? Friends? Climate? Activities?

Also what about the feel of the place? Didn't you feel more comfortable at one place? From what I hear one normally pops out at you. Makes you feel warm and happy.

Ultimately it's your choice but being miserable for four years just to save a couple thousand that you'll be able to easily pay off eventually seems silly to me.:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess that's one way to look at it but honestly I've heard a lot of unhappy people who chose that route. There is nothing you tying you somewhere? Family? Friends? Climate? Activities?

Also what about the feel of the place? Didn't you feel more comfortable at one place? From what I hear one normally pops out at you. Makes you feel warm and happy.

Ultimately it's your choice but being miserable for four years just to save a couple thousand that you'll be able to easily pay off eventually seems silly to me.:confused:

I am an immigrant and so the whole thing about family, friends etc. does not bother me that much. (They are all in my native country). I have been moving around from one place to another for several years and so I can adjust even in the worst circumstances (trust me on this one. Spent 18 years of my life in a third world country :eek: )).

If I grew up in America then I would have considered all the factors you listed. Everywhere I go will be a new experience and that is the main reason why I am basing my decision solely on aid (I have mouths to feed back in my native country :lol:).

Have you made all arrangements like finding an apartment etc ?

I am an immigrant and so the whole thing about family, friends etc. does not bother me that much. (They are all in my native country). I have been moving around from one place to another for several years and so I can adjust even in the worst circumstances (trust me on this one. Spent 18 years of my life in a third world country :eek: )).

If I grew up in America then I would have considered all the factors you listed. Everywhere I go will be a new experience and that is the main reason why I am basing my decision solely on aid (I have mouths to feed back in my native country :lol:).

Have you made all arrangements like finding an apartment etc ?

Ah this is something I had not thought of. Your English/grammar is perfect so I wouldn't have guessed! :) interesting. I have not found official housing yet but if you do decide mcw there is plenty of time yet.

Hey everyone, I need a little bit of advice...I was accepted to MCW a few months ago, and I really loved the school when I visited. However, I'm on the waitlist at my state school so I probably won't hear from them until late May/June (if I hear from them at all). If I did get in at my state school, I would go there just because it is so much cheaper and a lot closer to my family, which is important to me.

So anyways...my question is this: how late is "too late" to look for affordable housing/a roommate (who attends MCW) in Milwaukee? If I waited until June to do this, would I be okay? Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks!

hey everyone, i need a little bit of advice...i was accepted to mcw a few months ago, and i really loved the school when i visited. However, i'm on the waitlist at my state school so i probably won't hear from them until late may/june (if i hear from them at all). If i did get in at my state school, i would go there just because it is so much cheaper and a lot closer to my family, which is important to me.

So anyways...my question is this: How late is "too late" to look for affordable housing/a roommate (who attends mcw) in milwaukee? If i waited until june to do this, would i be okay? Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks!

+1

Hey everyone, I need a little bit of advice...I was accepted to MCW a few months ago, and I really loved the school when I visited. However, I'm on the waitlist at my state school so I probably won't hear from them until late May/June (if I hear from them at all). If I did get in at my state school, I would go there just because it is so much cheaper and a lot closer to my family, which is important to me.

So anyways...my question is this: how late is "too late" to look for affordable housing/a roommate (who attends MCW) in Milwaukee? If I waited until June to do this, would I be okay? Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks!

I'm in a similar boat. I wouldn't be surprised if there's still some of us who would be making our final final decision as late as June. Especially if there's other MCW people who might be getting off MCW's waitlist.

I am not a current student (I'm incoming), so I'm not sure how much I can help. I know that some people have already found housing, and the facebook page has new posts every day related to this... My impression is that if you need to find housing, even in August, you will find something. It might not be what you want though, and I am guessing many of the more lucrative options will have disappeared. But I wouldn't rush this sort of decision if I were you :). Good luck!

If I recall, there were people during orientation in August who hadn't figured out their housing when they got to school. You'll find a place. Might not be the best place, but you won't be homeless or unsafe.

I just got an email about the waitlist placement. What are the chances like for the 2nd quartile?

I just got an email about the waitlist placement. What are the chances like for the 2nd quartile?
I was in the 2nd quartile and did not get in. But of course whatever happened last year has no bearing on this year and I know in the past they have gone deep into the 2nd and possibly even bottom half. At Second Look day I talked to a lot of people who were totally undecided so there's a good chance that spots will open up

Besides the IS grant towards tuition, did anyone receive any other scholarships/grants in their FA?

Hey everyone. I am thinking of applying to MCW this upcoming cycle. Can anyone who has been accepted shed some light on typical stats for those accepted to MCW? I have of course checked out their website so I know the MCW mean for MCAT and gpa's, but I would like some personal stats if possible. If anyone is comfortable sharing their stats that would be great or if you just know of general ranges, stories from friends, etc. that would be awesome, too. Seems like a great school. Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone. I am thinking of applying to MCW this upcoming cycle. Can anyone who has been accepted shed some light on typical stats for those accepted to MCW? I have of course checked out their website so I know the MCW mean for MCAT and gpa's, but I would like some personal stats if possible. If anyone is comfortable sharing their stats that would be great or if you just know of general ranges, stories from friends, etc. that would be awesome, too. Seems like a great school. Thanks in advance!

The MSAR Online would probably be most helpful to you.

It looks like I will be withdrawing my acceptance today/tomorrow best of luck to everyone on the wait list! Hope everyone does awesome in medical school. Take care.

just withdrew my acceptance. great school, great faculty, and amazing facilities. good luck everyone!

Also probably withdrawing this week. Good luck everyone.

Hey guys! Well I will be attending Medical College of WIsconsin unless my state school finally gets back to me, which may not be till July. Is there any sort of student page that we have been given access to as an accepted student, besides the financial aid page? Also, is there any shots/titers I should get before orientation? If so, where do I find this information? Thanks!

Withdrew recently. Great school, great program, friendly people.

do we find out about any wait-list movement today? I haven't received any notice and I'm pretty sure its been two weeks since the last e-mail. :confused:

Has anyone from the wait list heard from the office yet? Starting to think that it's going to be a rough cycle for MCW waitlisters...:(

Has anyone from the wait list heard from the office yet? Starting to think that it's going to be a rough cycle for MCW waitlisters...:(

We should be getting some sort of notice tmrw - either an e-mail with an update or a phone call if you're lucky haha

gotta love the waiting process...:thumbdown:

I think a considerable number from the initial acceptances chose elsewhere, so the waitlist should get moving, if it hasn't already. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.