2012-2013 University of Louisville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know...
1) when secondaries are sent after application is complete?
2) When do you get response after secondary is submitted?
3) Interview?

(Reapplicant here)

UofL tends to send out secondaries very early, so be looking out for an email from their ADCOM as soon as your primary is complete and released to schools. There's an online portal where you can see the current status of your application. In the past, a part of the secondary has had to be sent via snail mail, but the online portal is very quick about updating your file. Interviews offers can vary, since they'll go by MCAT/GPAs and where you rank among other applicants. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
(Reapplicant here)

UofL tends to send out secondaries very early, so be looking out for an email from their ADCOM as soon as your primary is complete and released to schools. There's an online portal where you can see the current status of your application. In the past, a part of the secondary has had to be sent via snail mail, but the online portal is very quick about updating your file. Interviews offers can vary, since they'll go by MCAT/GPAs and where you rank among other applicants. Hope this helps.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if UOL have early decision?

Do they have date when they start interviews? When will they advise after the interview if they'll offer a spot?

I'm pretty sure they do have an Early Decision program. Interviews usually start around the last week of August, and they mail acceptances once a month (I think), so if you don't hear from them, it means your file is still under review.

does louisville screen instate applicants?

UofL does offer Early Decision, but the average early acceptance per year is only around 4, so it's EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE. Hope that helps! :)

Received the secondary July 2nd ... definitely one of my top two schools, so much early on clinical experience available!!

Secondary received and submitted! I liked this one, felt like they wanted to get to know me, but no lengthy essays

How long they take to process secondaries, i.e. once a month.. will they process these after early decision...

When do you expect response? I think secondaries are done by scores and easy to narrow down who to offer. After secondaries are submitted, I imagine it require more in depth review before calling for interview.

I think they also have rolling offers.. what is the earliest acceptance date?

How did you post your extracurricular activities? Do you just list the name of the activity without a description/number of hours/etc?

Hey guys, I applied last year to a bunch of schools, but not Louisville. Am I supposed to designate myself as a "re applicant" at the beginning or not? It didn't specifically say re-applicant to this school specifically but other schools usually mean just a re-applicant for their school, not in general.

can you please post the questions on the secondary? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I applied last year to a bunch of schools, but not Louisville. Am I supposed to designate myself as a "re applicant" at the beginning or not? It didn't specifically say re-applicant to this school specifically but other schools usually mean just a re-applicant for their school, not in general.

I can only imagine that when a school asks on their secondary, they mean reapplicant to their own respective school -- unless stated otherwise (i.e. "Have you applied to medical school before?")

can you please post the questions on the secondary? thanks!

This secondary is very involved. Here are the questions, but they're more short answer than essay (500 characters max I believe, I went back to check and it didn't say in the saved version). You also have to fill in courses and ECs.

.Out of State Interest..:.. If you are an out of state student, please explain your interest in attending the University of Louisville School of Medicine:

.How well did your high school prepare you for college?..

..What determined your choice of college(s)?

.How do you assess your college record?

.Circumstances adversely affecting your academic performance?

.Research Experience (including any publications and/or curriculum vitae)

.Foreign Travel:

.Interests and Hobbies:

.Describe any other areas in which you possess interest, expertise or skill. E.g., musicianship of a professional caliber, published writing, language spoken fluently, union level in trades, certification in other professional areas, scouting, etc.:

.What career(s) would you probably consider if you could not be a physician?..

..How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training?
(Please include choice of medical practice and location)

.Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue a M.D. degree program:

Anyone having issues logging in? It won't take my log in info from the email they sent.

When people submit are they getting a complete email? When paying the fee or confirming the audit?

Anyone else just get an e-mail stating that you were just sent a secondary, but not actually get the secondary?

For AP credit, I took an accerelated chem course that covered all intro chem. You could only take it if you had an AP score of 4 or 5 and it rewarded 2 credits (1 credit = 1 semester for all other courses). However, it comes up on my transcript as an AP class with no grade. On Louisville's website it says,

"Also, you will need to upload documentation regarding the score received on your AP exam in order for the ULSOM to accept your AP credit (i.e., copy of AP exam score report, college/university registrar verification of score, university/college web site text stating they only give credit for 4 or 5 score and the url to the web site). "

Is it sufficient to show them the URL of my college's website saying they only accept score of 4 or 5? Or do I need to upload the official AP documentation as well...(something I'm not quite sure how to even find)

anyone else having issues with the form not saving entries correctly? When I save it cuts off all but the first sentence of my response.

Secondary complete! Just waiting to hear if I'll get an II now.....

Does an OOS need to have amazing stats and ECs to get in here? I'm from Illinois but have some family in KY

."What determined your choice of college(s)?"

Is this talking about the medschool I am applying to (Louisville), or my undergrad? I am confused here

Did you have to have verified primaries before the secondary comes?

."What determined your choice of college(s)?"

Is this talking about the medschool I am applying to (Louisville), or my undergrad? I am confused here

I Think it's asking about our undergrad college since the question is under the section of "College Background".

I hope it helps. :)

I'm a little concerned about the essay question describing our research experience. The probem is that I don't have any research and the fact that they specifically ask about it makes me think that they really value it (though MSAR says only 75%?). I feel like not being able to answer an essay may make it a waste for me to apply. Anyone have any thoughts or in the same position?

I applied to and was accepted to U of L with no research experience. I don't know anything about the rest of your application, but I encourage you to apply if you are interested in the school.

I've been trying to fill out this secondary with nothing but issues. When I try and save a section it deletes all but the first sentence of every text box...I've tried contacting admissions and they say to not use special characters. Is everyone else writing these without any punctuation?!

Edit: Got it, don't use quotations when citing publications for those still waiting to submit.

Last edited:
I applied to and was accepted to U of L with no research experience. I don't know anything about the rest of your application, but I encourage you to apply if you are interested in the school.

Thanks for the response. I think I'll give it a shot. I just wanted to make sure my application wasn't dead in the water before I even turned it in.

Does anyone have any idea of a general time frame when UofL starts sending out interview dates? So nervous and anxious! :xf:

Does anyone have any idea of a general time frame when UofL starts sending out interview dates? So nervous and anxious! :xf:

Don't think we'll hear about IIs for another two weeks at least. It seems that last year people got invites around the middle of August. You can always review the 2011-2012 thread if you want a more complete answer..

EDIT: Not even a minute goes by before I'm proved wrong #DERP

Last edited:
I was in the middle of writing before I saw this ... I literally just received it 20 min. ago. I wouldn't imagine the next round to come out for another two weeks. I'm almost positive they come out on Wednesdays. Good luck everyone!

Did everyone use 400-500 words for each essay? It seems some could be answered with a short one or two paragraphs. Plus since there are 12 essays total the adcoms won't have any lack of reading material

Did everyone use 400-500 words for each essay? It seems some could be answered with a short one or two paragraphs. Plus since there are 12 essays total the adcoms won't have any lack of reading material

It's 500 characters, not 500 words maximum.

Ha Well in that case I guess I'll just write an introductory sentence, thesis, and closing sentence. Should be about 500c.

My AMCAS app was finally processed this morning. Has UofL been pretty quick about sending out the acknowledgement email?

When you submit secondary, you can choose either Trover vs. Louisville campus or either. I chose either. I got an email to fill a short form.

Qs...

- What are the advantages/disadvantages of Trover Campus?
- If I send this form, is it like UK RPLP program, i.e. if you're not selected in this program, you'll be put in regular pool, i.e. there is no disadvantage in applying to this program?
- It said, send this program within a week. I guess, if I don't send this form, I basically choosing Louisville campus, does anyone have any idea if this is what will happen?
- will this delay interview invite?
- does anyone knows how many were interviewed for this last year and how many were matriculated?

Thanks,

II, OOS 8/8, Does anyone know how many OOS students are accepted?

When did you submit?

and according to MSAR 142/2404 OOS interviewed, 43 matriculated

I applied to 17 schools (5 DO, 12 MD) and U of L is the only university not to send me a secondary invite yet... getting worried :eek:

What did you guys write about under "Foreign Travel:" ?

Are we supposed to list all the places we've visited outside of America? Are we supposed to talk about what we did and why we went there?

Or is this just a list of places?

"Foreign Travel:" is so ambiguous...

My AMCAS app was finally processed this morning. Has UofL been pretty quick about sending out the acknowledgement email?

They're fairly quick. I got the secondary a few days after verification.

Did everyone wrote something for "circumstances adversely affecting your academic performance?"

And for foreign travel, I was just going to briefly describe (2 or 3 sentences) my overseas trip with a music ensemble but leaving out other foreign travel that was less "educational" (Mexico and Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.