2012-2013 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Essay 1
Tell us something you are passionate about and why. Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

MSTP applicants: Instead of the above, briefly describe why you decided to apply to the University of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., please provide a brief explanation (we recognize that your interests may change).

Essay 2
At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ann arbor is boss. college football saturdays in ann arbor will be one of my best memories growing up. if i got in here i'd probably cry, then buy big house season tix.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I am new the forums. I plan to apply to Medical school next cycle. I just have one question. I am an American studying in a Canadian University. Am I eligible to apply for UMMS? Their site says this " At least 90 hours of college course work, of which 60 must be from an accredited U.S. based institution."

I am guessing that makes me not able to apply, but I hope someone who attends the school can confirm (also I don't know where I should put this questions). That would really suck since I really wanted to attend UMMS. Thanks in advance.

Another Umich fan applying here.

When I applied this past cycle, I met a couple of first year students who were Americans that went to McGill so it's definitely possible. I'd call or e-mail the admissions office just to clarify. They're pretty helpful and easy to reach.

I can't stand the Wolverine football team but I'm still applying =D
GO IRISH!

I don't know if anyone else reads the admission twitter but umich might be switching to mmi interview style.

I'm not sure where or when I read this, but I remember reading that umich doesn't like accepting applicants from ohio. I'm not sure why this would be, but is there any truth to that? Maybe it's the big ohio state rivalry!!

I'm not sure where or when I read this, but I remember reading that umich doesn't like accepting applicants from ohio. I'm not sure why this would be, but is there any truth to that? Maybe it's the big ohio state rivalry!!

The only truth is that it is more difficult for out of state on a number basis.
I know last year there was like 750 or so interview spots of which like 250 or so went to Michigan residents.

Last edited:
So, if my app is complete, is there any reason I wouldn't have received the secondary application from Michigan by now? I had mine premade ready to submit, lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I already submitted mine just log in on the website under current applicants status

So, if my app is complete, is there any reason I wouldn't have received the secondary application from Michigan by now? I had mine premade ready to submit, lol

I haven't received it yet either haha. Hope that's not a bad omen! :)

I don't think the secondary application has been sent yet.

Go the UMich SOM website. Click on "M.D. Admissions" on the right side. Then click "Current Applicant Status Page" on the top right. After you sign in, you can click on the Secondary tab and get started.

I haven't gotten one yet, but it's letting me access the secondary... I haven't tried to actually submit it yet though

lol, yeaaaa, I'm sure there's a time stamp or something on the submission. They might get a chuckle when they notice "oh look interesting, we have 10-20 secondaries already and we didn't even send out invites yet. hmmm."

I think I rather not risk looking like "that guy" and just wait for an email.
:laugh:

lol, yeaaaa, I'm sure there's a time stamp or something on the submission. They might get a chuckle when they notice "oh look interesting, we have 10-20 secondaries already and we didn't even send out invites yet. hmmm."

I think I rather not risk looking like "that guy" and just wait for an email.
:laugh:

Yea I actually started filling it out(mostly because I was just peaking around and then found the fun fact question and had a lot of fun with that...and the interests question) but I won't be submitting it until they send an email :p

Fun facts question = what are you passionate about? Interests = what would you bring to Michigan?

Fun facts question = what are you passionate about? Interests = what would you bring to Michigan?

No. These :)

Other Interests: We know you have many interests and passions beyond your pursuit of medical training. At Michigan we encourage you to continue to develop these talents. Please list three areas of interest (e.g., symphony orchestra, drawing/painting/ceramics, research in a specific area, joint degrees, athletic interests/running/softball, ballroom dance, Spanish language study, international travel/work/study, etc.) you would like to pursue while at Michigan. This will allow us to provide resources for you around these interests.

{Space for 3 Interests}

Fun fact - We would like to know one fun fact about you. This may be shared with other applicants. Please answer the following question with up to four words:

Most people don't know that I can _______________

No. These :)

Other Interests: We know you have many interests and passions beyond your pursuit of medical training. At Michigan we encourage you to continue to develop these talents. Please list three areas of interest (e.g., symphony orchestra, drawing/painting/ceramics, research in a specific area, joint degrees, athletic interests/running/softball, ballroom dance, Spanish language study, international travel/work/study, etc.) you would like to pursue while at Michigan. This will allow us to provide resources for you around these interests.

{Space for 3 Interests}

Fun fact - We would like to know one fun fact about you. This may be shared with other applicants. Please answer the following question with up to four words:

Most people don't know that I can _______________

Haha, neat questions! Thanks!

Anyone else get the secondary yet? Got mine today.. Love Ann Arbor!

when do automatic interview invites come out?

i think the first round of interview invites comes out on 7/5. i bet a whole bunch of those are auto invites considering that most people won't have their committee letters and stuff ready by then. at least that's what i think. my school is pretty fast w/ those and they haven't uploaded mine yet.

i think the first round of interview invites comes out on 7/5. i bet a whole bunch of those are auto invites considering that most people won't have their committee letters and stuff ready by then. at least that's what i think. my school is pretty fast w/ those and they haven't uploaded mine yet.

Hold up what's the deal with these automatic interview invites? How could they have reviewed applications by 7/5?

Hold up what's the deal with these automatic interview invites? How could they have reviewed applications by 7/5?

They have the option to filter the pile of apps they have with the click of a button.

Applicants with certain mcat scores (36+, IIRC) are identified and auto-invited for interview...at least in past cycles.

They have the option to filter the pile of apps they have with the click of a button.

Applicants with certain mcat scores (36+, IIRC) are identified and auto-invited for interview...at least in past cycles.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Regardless of whether or not you've submitted a secondary?

yes. Essentially they speed up the process for people with greater than 3.8/38 and from a "top" institution. You still have to submit the secondary at some point though.

yes. Essentially they speed up the process for people with greater than 3.8/38 and from a "top" institution. You still have to submit the secondary at some point though.

Not everyone with >3.8, >38 gets an auto-interview though, even from a top school - while others with lower stats from a school you wouldn't consider as top might receive one. I think someone who applied last year with a 4.0/41 from a good school didn't get an auto-interview. They take other things into consideration as well. I believe about 15% of the total interviews given will be auto-interviews.

UMich Med Admissions ‏@UMichMedAdmiss
"Auto interviews" no longer happen. We will make first interview offers on July 5 at 3:21 Eastern. 1st offer to a MI resident who attends UM

Has anyone's status changed to "Complete" or w/e? My application still says AMCAS APPLICATION RECEIVED despite the fact all the little check marks below my application have been checked for awhile. Just curious.

Has anyone's status changed to "Complete" or w/e? My application still says AMCAS APPLICATION RECEIVED despite the fact all the little check marks below my application have been checked for awhile. Just curious.

Nope, mine says the same thing.

On another note, looks like they've offered their first 16 interview slots :p

Nope, mine says the same thing.

On another note, looks like they've offered their first 16 interview slots :p

Yeah I saw that! They updated the tracker too. Their openness is certainly refreshing. Also the fact they have an iPhone app to check your status is hilarious but awesome.

Yeah I saw that! They updated the tracker too. Their openness is certainly refreshing. Also the fact they have an iPhone app to check your status is hilarious but awesome.

Hahaha I actually considered DLing that for a second :laugh:

(No offense to anyone who has :p)

Anyone else still waiting on the secondary?

Hahaha I actually considered DLing that for a second :laugh:

(No offense to anyone who has :p)

Last year I found out about my II on the app before I ever got an email. It was actually really easy to schedule my interview date on the app as well. It's a great download for those applying to UM!

Is the "applications received" that they post the total number of complete applications (i.e. with LORs + secondary), or just all AMCAS applications they have received?

How long did it take for people's fee payments to appear on their status page? I paid the fee last Friday and it is the only thing I don't have a checkmark next to yet. I'm assuming mine must just be delayed because of the weekend.

How long did it take for people's fee payments to appear on their status page? I paid the fee last Friday and it is the only thing I don't have a checkmark next to yet. I'm assuming mine must just be delayed because of the weekend.

It took like a day for the payment to check off, but I have had everything checked off for a week and have yet been marked complete.

Is anybody else having trouble accessing the secondar? I tried on three browsers but it just keeps loading :-( noooo.

Is anybody else having trouble accessing the secondar? I tried on three browsers but it just keeps loading :-( noooo.

I'm having problems too. *phew* I thought they were rejecting me in the most back-handed and demeaning of ways imaginable :laugh:

It took like a day for the payment to check off, but I have had everything checked off for a week and have yet been marked complete.

Same issue for me. Submitted secondary on 7/2, have everything checked off 7/3. No change to "file under review." It still says "AMCAS Application Received." Wonder what the hold up is?

Today mine says "Application Complete-File Under Review." Submitted my secondary 7/3 but my letters didn't show up until yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.