2012-2013 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if the student host portal is working? Are there typically many medical students who sign up to be hosts during the interview season, or should I count on finding a hotel to stay in? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Another 1-2-3 Tuesday passes. Still no interview invite :( Complete 7/10.

Do they post a "hold" status if they process your application but don't decide to interview you right away? I was complete as of 7/10 and my status is still "file complete".

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the student host portal is working? Are there typically many medical students who sign up to be hosts during the interview season, or should I count on finding a hotel to stay in? Thanks!

I'm wondering this as well, anyone have any insight?

I'm wondering this as well, anyone have any insight?

First years don't start orientation until August 6th, so they probably haven't had a chance to set everything up seeing as first years aren't in AA yet to be available for hosting. Just be patient for a bit longer. Most hotels don't require deposits if you book directly through them (always check first though!), so you could always book one and then cancel it when you hopefully get a host.

First years don't start orientation until August 6th, so they probably haven't had a chance to set everything up seeing as first years aren't in AA yet to be available for hosting. Just be patient for a bit longer. Most hotels don't require deposits if you book directly through them (always check first though!), so you could always book one and then cancel it when you hopefully get a host.

That's what I did, though I love how you have to book far ahead depending on whether or not there is a home football game that weekend. Those games are one thing I could get used to . . .

Haiku Time!

Another Silent
3-2-1 Thursday Again
Hopefully no more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn it Tatertots, just pick a school of your choice and give us humble peasant applicants a chance. But seriously, congrats!

Do we know if they are still giving IIs based on just the primary? I have my secondary in but am waiting on a couple more letters to get in, and just wondering if I could be in the running for an II or if they have so many apps at this point that only the complete "under review" ones are being considered? Or maybe the invites just based on the primary were for those rock-star applicants. Would anyone who got an II without being complete mind sharing their stats?

@carramrod06 you ready for another 1-2-3 Tuesday!? haha our weekly ritual with umich continues...

@carramrod06 you ready for another 1-2-3 Tuesday!? haha our weekly ritual with umich continues...

hahaha never expected you would directly address me but yes weekly ritual XD. Doesn't look like there's alot of invites going out today from the twitter page. I've become paranoid that they've got a system in which they check how many times you log on and won't let you know any news unless you just wait so I'm not going to check today. I'll hope for an email though xD

hahaha never expected you would directly address me but yes weekly ritual XD. Doesn't look like there's alot of invites going out today from the twitter page. I've become paranoid that they've got a system in which they check how many times you log on and won't let you know any news unless you just wait so I'm not going to check today. I'll hope for an email though xD

ohboy their mobile app makes it so easy to check ALL THE TIME. :eek:

Best of luck guys! Carramrod- just remember all of us (I think) so far have had status changes hours before the e-mail!!

ohboy their mobile app makes it so easy to check ALL THE TIME. :eek:

Haha, I'm guilty of downloading that. I've decided to move it to a subfolder so I'm not tempted to check it. Do you think the mobile app automatically updates with the website or is it a separate update? (i.e. will the website update first and the mobile app later or is it both at the same time). I'm actually starting to hate this whole knowing what time interview invites are given out. It's making me more neurotic. I like it much better when I just randomly get an email from a school with an invite.

I have seen reports of the mobile app updating BEFORE the website; however, mine was AFTER the website! (just to make you all the more neurotic!!)

So much for 1-2-3 Tuesday, I guess...

alas. we wait another day.

What if 1-2-3 and 3-2-1 are fake haha. Like it's some great psych experiment of someone at UMich, getting all sorts of data on neurotic SDN'ers for their dissertation

Not everyone with >3.8, >38 gets an auto-interview though, even from a top school - while others with lower stats from a school you wouldn't consider as top might receive one. I think someone who applied last year with a 4.0/41 from a good school didn't get an auto-interview. They take other things into consideration as well. I believe about 15% of the total interviews given will be auto-interviews.

Automatic invites are great, but I wouldn't worry too much if you don't receive one. I received a Dean's Merit Scholarship (full tuition) this year and I didn't have an auto invite, same for another Dean's Scholar I know who's starting this year.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Automatic invites are great, but I wouldn't worry too much if you don't receive one. I received a Dean's Merit Scholarship (full tuition) this year and I didn't have an auto invite, same for another Dean's Scholar I know who's starting this year.

Good luck everyone!

I actually heard later on from the admissions department they aren't doing auto-invites this year :)

How many Dean's Merit Scholarships are available?

I actually heard later on from the admissions department they aren't doing auto-invites this year :)

How many Dean's Merit Scholarships are available?

As far as I know, there are ten. There are also other partial scholarships, including $30k/year. I'm not sure how many there are, but the admissions office does share the value of the total pool of scholarship funding. I remember hearing about it on interview day.

MSTP applicant complete today. Any MSTP interview invites?

Last edited:
Submitted! Can someone quick explain this 1-2-3 Tuesday thing I've seen all over this thread?

Submitted! Can someone quick explain this 1-2-3 Tuesday thing I've seen all over this thread?

UMich reviews files and sends out II's on 1-2-3 Tuesday and 3-2-1 Thursdays. 1:23pm ET on Tues and 3:21pm ET on Thursday. Check their twitter page for updates on if they're sending out invites :)

just got a MSTP interview invite!! so i'm guessing MSTP doesn't follow the 1-2-3 Tuesday and 3-2-1 Thursdays schedule, just so you know lol

UMich reviews files and sends out II's on 1-2-3 Tuesday and 3-2-1 Thursdays. 1:23pm ET on Tues and 3:21pm ET on Thursday. Check their twitter page for updates on if they're sending out invites :)

more like "let-down Tuesday" and "disappointment Thursday"
sigh . . .

Last edited:
more like "let-down Tuesday" and "disappointment Thursday"
sigh . . .

Relax dude/dudette. It's only August 9th, still quite early overall. Also it's orientation week, this week was bound to be boring. Just wait it out the best you can. I've been playing this game for over a year now, it really sucks, just don't let it get to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.