2012-2013 Wake Forest University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
6.Please answer ONE of the following questions

1. The Committee on Admissions invites you to share important and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Or

2. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?
Why do you believe that you are particularly suited for this practice scenario?
What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this path?

You may write as much as you want. This box accepts unlimited text.

7. Personal Statement

Complete if you have additional comments or something specific to say to the school.

You may write as much as you want. This box accepts unlimited text.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Anyone have info on OOS applicants? I love Wake Forest and almost went there for undergrad but I'm a FL resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have info on OOS applicants? I love Wake Forest and almost went there for undergrad but I'm a FL resident.

Well it is a private school, so they don't have to accept a certain number of IS or OOS applicants. I don't know the exact statistics, but I know a lot of out of staters apply. If you loved it there, I would definitely go for it.

Wake is a dream school for me - fingers crossed! Good luck, everyone!

thinking of applying here, do I kinda a long shot tho

3.7 gpa in engineering
30 mcat
avg EC's

thoughts?

thinking of applying here, do I kinda a long shot tho

3.7 gpa in engineering
30 mcat
avg EC's

thoughts?

Wake has been known to waitlist some applicants with super high numbers, so it's not all numerical stats for them. I think they really are looking for people who fit and who really want to be at Wake. Let them know how much you adore them. It worked for me - they seem to like being shown a lot of love. I won't be attending this year, but I was happy to be accepted to this great school.

Wake has been known to waitlist some applicants with super high numbers, so it's not all numerical stats for them. I think they really are looking for people who fit and who really want to be at Wake. Let them know how much you adore them. It worked for me - they seem to like being shown a lot of love. I won't be attending this year, but I was happy to be accepted to this great school.

I didn't have stellar stats, but I had job experience, maturity and a definite interest in going to Wake. That was 6 years ago. No BS interest in a program DOES mean something - whether you're talking about medical school or residency.

I didn't have stellar stats, but I had job experience, maturity and a definite interest in going to Wake. That was 6 years ago. No BS interest in a program DOES mean something - whether you're talking about medical school or residency.

What's the best way as an applicant that you can come across in an application showing a lot of interest, but not sounding too kiss butt and suck up? Letters of interest if you haven't received an interview invite within a month or two? Writing well thought out extremely detailed secondary essays incorporating things off their website and how you think it will fit you as a medical student? Any other pieces of advice?

Last edited:
What's the best way as an applicant that you can come across in an application showing a lot of interest, but not sounding too kiss butt and suck up? Letters of interest if you haven't received an interview invite within a month or two? Writing well though out extremely detailed secondary essays incorporating things off their website and how you think it will fit you as a medical student? Any other pieces of advice?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

Secondary received!

Edit: wait, this isn't a secondary. Just notification that the primary has been received. I didn't realize they screened secondaries.

Secondary received!

Edit: wait, this isn't a secondary. Just notification that the primary has been received. I didn't realize they screened secondaries.

Lol, you freaked me out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anything you can do before the receipt of a secondary to express that a school is your first choice? Letter of intent, visiting, calling - anything like that? Wake is 100% my top choice, but I'm a non-traditional student with a lower than average undergrad GPA (but excellent post-bacc gpa) and I'm so concerned about being rejected pre-secondary!

Is there anything you can do before the receipt of a secondary to express that a school is your first choice? Letter of intent, visiting, calling - anything like that? Wake is 100% my top choice, but I'm a non-traditional student with a lower than average undergrad GPA (but excellent post-bacc gpa) and I'm so concerned about being rejected pre-secondary!

edit: don't think it matters, just sit tight.

Last edited:

I doubt it matters. If we could, I would send a letter of intent to every single school I applied to telling them they are my top choice. Save it for if you get put on the wait list.

Checked my application status this morning, got the following message:

"Your AMCAS application has been evaluated and we are sending you our secondary application by e-mail. Please allow 2 weeks for the application to be sent to you as we send them out in batches."

"Your AMCAS application has been evaluated and we are sending you our secondary application by e-mail. Please allow 2 weeks for the application to be sent to you as we send them out in batches."

+1.

What are chances it will be identical to last years? The opinion from 2011-2012 is that showing a genuine interest in wake is crucial to an interview/acceptance. Pre-writing can't hurt!

congrats!

I just checked mine and I got this message too! :D!

congrats! when did you get the email that let you know they received your app?

I got mine yesterday. Actually haven't been obsessively checking my status, but came across the old thread so went ahead and checked.

Err.. did we get a chance to set a password? I can't figure mine out, it's not the one(s) I usually use.

What were the requirements for password creation?

Err.. did we get a chance to set a password? I can't figure mine out, it's not the one(s) I usually use.

What were the requirements for password creation?

It is in the email with the link. Also, I am a little surprised you didn't know they pre-screened. Wake Forest is pretty awesome in a lot of ways but especially because they look at your app and decide if you would be a good fit BEFORE you submit an expensive secondary fee. The fact that they address the financial burden faced by students applying is pretty awesome and makes me want to attend even more now, which is terrible because this is a reach school for me :(

It is in the email with the link. Also, I am a little surprised you didn't know they pre-screened. Wake Forest is pretty awesome in a lot of ways but especially because they look at your app and decide if you would be a good fit BEFORE you submit an expensive secondary fee. The fact that they address the financial burden faced by students applying is pretty awesome and makes me want to attend even more now, which is terrible because this is a reach school for me :(

I didn't know this, and it makes me feel better. I haven't heard from Wake Forest yet, and I was wondering why... I hope my application makes it past the pre-screen, then!

I just logged into the status page and got the following:

"Your AMCAS application has been evaluated and we are sending you our secondary application by e-mail.* Please allow 2 weeks for the application to be sent to you as we send them out in batches."

Does that mean I passed the pre-secondary screen?

"Your AMCAS application has been evaluated and we are sending you our secondary application by e-mail.* Please allow 2 weeks for the application to be sent to you as we send them out in batches."

Got that message too. I thought I read somewhere that wake was super selective with their secondaries. Is that true or did I just make that up?

I would also like to know this. Don't know if I can be excited or not!

for those of you who got the invite to complete the secondary, would you mind posting your stats?

Upon rereading the thread, it seems like people got an initial e-mail telling them their primaries were received? If I was verified before 6/29, should I be worried that I haven't received any e-mails yet?

Based on last year's thread,

7,400 primary applications submitted
2,450 secondary applications submitted
540 interviews
225 accepted
120 matriculated.

The message many of us have gotten means we made it to round 2.

3.65/30S/OOS

According to last year's thread it does mean you passed the screen. The people that got rejected pre-secondary had the following message as their status:

"You will be receiving notification of your application status by e-mail."

And BTW my stats are cGPA 3.91, sGPA 3.90, MCAT 34S, OOS

I was verified 6/20 and I haven't gotten one. I think it's all good.

Wow. Didn't know they screened out that many apps. Passed the screen w/ 32 and 3.75s/cGPA, OOS. Good luck everyone.

If we have the primary still under review message does it mean we won't get a secondary at all? Seems strange, im 3.75 C/SGPA, 32 O, OOS.

Mine still says pending :/ 3.14/33 URM.

i may just be an idiot but what "status page" are y'all talking about? i have not received anything from Wake, not even an email about my primary being received. my numbers are pretty good so i'm getting worried... also i submitted 6/12 and was verified 6/28.

I received the message saying that I'd get a secondary. OOS, 30+MCAT, 3.60+cum, 3.50+sci.

Last edited:
i may just be an idiot but what "status page" are y'all talking about? i have not received anything from Wake, not even an email about my primary being received. my numbers are pretty good so i'm getting worried... also i submitted 6/12 and was verified 6/28.

Wouldn't worry about it. They're probably busy screening people.

Nah, just tell them during your interview and on your secondary. If you get wait-listed, then tell them every month until they admit you. :)

I wouldn't worry if you haven't gotten a message yet. It takes a bit to get through these things.

Anyone still waiting to get screened in/out?

Hmmm. I was verified on the 5th and still haven't gotten an email from them :(

Just screened in for secondary!! I love, love, love this school. It is definitely a reach but good to know I'm still in the running. Just trying not to get my hopes up :)

Last edited:
Hmmm. I was verified on the 5th and still haven't gotten an email from them :(

I'm in the same boat as you. :( We must stay strong, I guess! Or wait until mid-July and then e-mail them asking what's up, haha.

Should I apply here? 3.77/3.60/33, strong interest in public health, strong ties to SC and some to NC, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.