The Bad Things about Penn and UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aesthetics380

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am deciding between these two schools and I would like to know if they are any not so good things that I should be aware of when choosing. I will be going on a military scholarship so price isn't a factor.

For UCSF- i have heard things about how the budget cuts are negatively affecting the education. I have heard that some faculty are leaving and such because of it.

Any input would be very helpful!
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you are from california, I would highly recommend Penn. Ivy League> Non-IVY! beautiful clinic, facilities, library. Also, the area is dope boy fresh! A different graduate school around every corner, leaves you with plenty of opportunities to meet professional peeps, and network with a range of different health care professionals! However, I believe that location should be a big deciding factor for you!

Unless you are from california, I would highly recommend Penn. Ivy League> Non-IVY! beautiful clinic, facilities, library. Also, the area is dope boy fresh! A different graduate school around every corner, leaves you with plenty of opportunities to meet professional peeps, and network with a range of different health care professionals! However, I believe that location should be a big deciding factor for you!

Hi Perio. Thanks for your response.
I'm not from CA but the location does seem much better in SF.
Overall, I'm just trying to get an idea of what things people may not like about each school (the things that aren't advertised so much).
I have heard good things about both.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a big difference you should take into account is that Penn has letter grades and UCSF is P/F.

Depending on your preference, that could be a make or break factor.

I got you, sorry about that. I don't know many negatives about each school, or much about UCSF at all as a matter of fact. Some negatives about Penn for some may be the environment less than a mile away in each direction, having a "ghetto" type setting, and the associated risks of such a location. However, given Penn's setting, students have no problem finding patients, which is a big plus. As MedDevil pointed out, Penn does use the grading system, and from what I understand, this would most likely help in the case if one would want to specialize. Also, I hear that Penn's curriculum is quite difficult, and that students are also quite competitive.

Here is what I would consider:

Grading: P/F (UCSF) or Letter Grades only top 11 people in class ranked ((Penn)

Location: California climate (UCSF) vs. graduate campus in winter/summer climate (Penn)

Campus: Really nice part of town (UCSF) vs. really nice campus area, but surrounding areas not too good (Penn)

Cost of living: Stipends may not be enough (UCSF) vs. stipends will cover cheap prices of Philly (Penn)

Reputation: I would argue both as equal. US News and World Report just gave UCSF high west coast honors for their undergrad and med school, I doubt the dental school is worse off.

Distance: Which one is harder/more expensive to travel to?

Summer breaks: Penn has them + a spring break. Some dental schools do not give this. I don't know about UCSF, look into it.

Boards: You take them second year at Penn. What about UCSF.

I think both schools also have robust clinical and research experiences.

Location: California climate (UCSF) vs. graduate campus in winter/summer climate (Penn)

Campus: Really nice part of town (UCSF) vs. really nice campus area, but surrounding areas not too good (Penn)

Cost of living: Stipends may not be enough (UCSF) vs. stipends will cover cheap prices of Philly (Penn)

Reputation: I would argue both as equal. US News and World Report just gave UCSF high west coast honors for their undergrad and med school, I doubt the dental school is worse off.

Summer breaks: Penn has them + a spring break. Some dental schools do not give this. I don't know about UCSF, look into it.

Dantemac UCSF does not have undergraduate programs. Only Masters, PhD, Professional (MD, DDS, PharmD etc.), post-docs, and certain specialty programs. Pharm school is #1 in the country. Med school is often ranked in the top 5. And dental doesn't have rankings, but we're well up there.

Good point. Never thought to consider the medical school's reputation. Probably a good idea, considering how interdisciplinary the two fields are, especially in terms of collaborative research and innovation. I would chalk one up for Penn in this category: Perelman School of Medicine is arguably one of the best medical schools in the country, along with Harvard.

UCSF has summers after 1st and 2nd year off, though some students use one to study for the boards.

You'll see in the link that only D3 and D4 start in the summer: http://dentistry.ucsf.edu/about-the-school-2

Good point. Never thought to consider the medical school's reputation. Probably a good idea, considering how interdisciplinary the two fields are, especially in terms of collaborative research and innovation. I would chalk one up for Penn in this category: Perelman School of Medicine is arguably one of the best medical schools in the country, along with Harvard.

Since neither of the two schools has an integrated med/dental curriculum, med school rankings matter less than one may think. UCSF is also a top 5 medical school however, so it's difficult to pick a winner on that alone.

Haha I am sorry that they do not have undergrad programs at UCSF. I saw on the washington post reader app on facebook that the new rankings were released, so I gave them a cursory glance for pharm, audiology, etc. But I did see somewhere in the report something commeding UCSF.

Haha I am sorry that they do not have undergrad programs at UCSF. I saw on the washington post reader app on facebook that the new rankings were released, so I gave them a cursory glance for pharm, audiology, etc. But I did see somewhere in the report something commeding UCSF.

haha no prob!

Members don't see this ad :)
Since neither of the two schools has an integrated med/dental curriculum, med school rankings matter less than one may think. UCSF is also a top 5 medical school however, so it's difficult to pick a winner on that alone.

They don't matter a great deal, but when you consider the level of interdisciplinary research that goes on between the two fields, then I would say it's a factor to consider. Also, with the University hospital's ranking/reputation, that could also play a role in the quality of your hospital rotations. I don't think Penn's #2 ranking is necessarily better than UCSF's #5 ranking; I was just comparing purely based off the numbers.

whaaattt?! im in the same exact predicament as you! =) (with the HPSP as well )

although UCSF's P/F system may seem to make it less competitive, it will still be very competitive, if not more. it may be more competitive in other ways than just grades (but this is true across the nation). it may be harder trying to get letters of rec from faculty and dean's recommendation since these are the only ways to distinguish ranking due to no gpa or board scores.

+1 for penn is that they stagger the exams so no hellish finals week(s).
-1 for penn is the snow!!!!!

+1 for ucsf, two half days!
+1 for ucsf, good food!
-1 for ucsf being at the mercy of california budget cuts

i know you said you were looking for the negatives for each school, but it is hard to ignore such good positives about each school. good luck with your decision! let me know which school you decide! =)

For me it's really hard to compare Penn to UCSF because I know little about that place, however I can talk about the things I like and dislike about UCSF which is where I go to school.

UCSF pro's :

Living in San Francisco (and in a nice part of it too.)
Brand new simulations lab
I love my classmates, really nice people.
No class ranking = everybody cooperates and helps each other out.
Research powerhouse = lots of people to potentially write letters for you, a good stepping
stone to specializing.
Independent Study Option (ISO) = you get 8 hours per week (sometimes more) to do
whatever the heck you would like.

UCSF con's:

1) NOT ENOUGH $$: this has resulted in limited amount of faculty and also in laying off more senior, experienced professors to hire younger, more junior faculty who have less experience but probably also charge less money. When I was in sim lab we had a row faculty checking 14 students, and if someone called in sick that would be 21 students. :scared:
In clinic they try to keep it at 8 students per faculty, which is not enough to begin with IMO, sometimes we get people checking on 12-16 students too if faculty can't make it that day.
As if the number of teachers was not enough you also have to consider I can count the nice ones with my fingers. The majority of teachers are not really nice and most of the feedback you get is on why your work sucks, not useful advice on how to do things different.

2) I didn't think much of the didactic courses the 1st 2 years, mostly PhD coming to give one lecture a year and never seeing you again, doing powerppoints that were half put together as a crutch. Many instructors don't even care to write new exams every year and people just study old tests (they give them to us) and do very well because faculty are too lazy to write a new one. I think I learned more from the dental decks and books I bought to study for boards...:laugh:

3) Not enough chairs : people are trying to open chairs all the time to bring in new patients, the waiting lists are more than 10people long! The clinic here cannot hold all the D3, D4 and IDP at the same time. :(

4) They don't give you procedures. : some schools keep count of all the procedures new patients need and they spread them out to all students to make sure everyone gets at least one amalgam, one crown, one denture, etc. NOT THE CASE HERE you are given a list of patients and whatever they need is what you get to do , hope you get lucky. On the last quarter of dental school there is a free for all trade amont students switching patients among themselves like they are baseball cards (my denture for your 2 crowns, etc) They do however come up with lists of stuff you need to do if you want to pass the quarter/year or graduate for dental school. How you get to do them is entirely up to you. :mad:

5) The school does not have a financing program: I know patients at UOP can do a payment plan to afford the more expensive treatment. Not the case here, patients have to pay full cost up front or pay half in the beginning, and half at the end. Some patients can't afford to pay this way so you dont get to do any dentistry.

6) The school thinks very highly of itself. Every time someone complains they basically tell you it's your own d#$@ fault. "Your are not motivated", " You are not organized", "You are not working hard enough" "Trust the program" are some of the ones I have heard so far.

This is all I can come up with top of my head. If I think of more stuff I will post it later.

That is a good post above to read about UCSF.

Reactions: 1 user
For me it's really hard to compare Penn to UCSF because I know little about that place, however I can talk about the things I like and dislike about UCSF which is where I go to school.

UCSF pro's :

Living in San Francisco (and in a nice part of it too.)
Brand new simulations lab
I love my classmates, really nice people.
No class ranking = everybody cooperates and helps each other out.
Research powerhouse = lots of people to potentially write letters for you, a good stepping
stone to specializing.
Independent Study Option (ISO) = you get 8 hours per week (sometimes more) to do
whatever the heck you would like.

UCSF con's:

1) NOT ENOUGH $$: this has resulted in limited amount of faculty and also in laying off more senior, experienced professors to hire younger, more junior faculty who have less experience but probably also charge less money. When I was in sim lab we had a row faculty checking 14 students, and if someone called in sick that would be 21 students. :scared:
In clinic they try to keep it at 8 students per faculty, which is not enough to begin with IMO, sometimes we get people checking on 12-16 students too if faculty can't make it that day.
As if the number of teachers was not enough you also have to consider I can count the nice ones with my fingers. The majority of teachers are not really nice and most of the feedback you get is on why your work sucks, not useful advice on how to do things different.

2) I didn't think much of the didactic courses the 1st 2 years, mostly PhD coming to give one lecture a year and never seeing you again, doing powerppoints that were half put together as a crutch. Many instructors don't even care to write new exams every year and people just study old tests (they give them to us) and do very well because faculty are too lazy to write a new one. I think I learned more from the dental decks and books I bought to study for boards...:laugh:

3) Not enough chairs : people are trying to open chairs all the time to bring in new patients, the waiting lists are more than 10people long! The clinic here cannot hold all the D3, D4 and IDP at the same time. :(

4) They don't give you procedures. : some schools keep count of all the procedures new patients need and they spread them out to all students to make sure everyone gets at least one amalgam, one crown, one denture, etc. NOT THE CASE HERE you are given a list of patients and whatever they need is what you get to do , hope you get lucky. On the last quarter of dental school there is a free for all trade amont students switching patients among themselves like they are baseball cards (my denture for your 2 crowns, etc) They do however come up with lists of stuff you need to do if you want to pass the quarter/year or graduate for dental school. How you get to do them is entirely up to you. :mad:

5) The school does not have a financing program: I know patients at UOP can do a payment plan to afford the more expensive treatment. Not the case here, patients have to pay full cost up front or pay half in the beginning, and half at the end. Some patients can't afford to pay this way so you dont get to do any dentistry.

6) The school thinks very highly of itself. Every time someone complains they basically tell you it's your own d#$@ fault. "Your are not motivated", " You are not organized", "You are not working hard enough" "Trust the program" are some of the ones I have heard so far.

This is all I can come up with top of my head. If I think of more stuff I will post it later.

Most of the cons you've experienced are only because UCSF is a public university. It's not like it's any different at UCLA, or U Michigan, or OSU. Plus, in terms of public universities, UCSF notoriously ranks #1 at almost everything. But yeah, you're the student there so you have credibility. But from what I've experienced, there's so much the school has to offer!

Complaint #1

Is keeping quality teachers a problem in all public schools?

Hey there squareroot, thanks for posting! I was really hoping someone would talk about these topics a bit more. I know California is in a financial rut, but do you know if the tuition would be going up again like it did the past few years? I know in 2008 it was around 25k and it skyrocketed to 40k, and I'm wondering if there's an end in sight to the tuition increase. You also mentioned a lot of things about the quality of teaching. Given all that and your experience there, would you re-enroll at UCSF if you were to redo dental school? (and why?) If you had an offer at a cheaper school,(maybe not as good) would you go there instead? Or do you think this is something students experience everywhere like societysdentist said? Do you think all of the fanfare about UCSF is merited?

Most of the cons you've experienced are only because UCSF is a public university. It's not like it's any different at UCLA, or U Michigan, or OSU. Plus, in terms of public universities, UCSF notoriously ranks #1 at almost everything. But yeah, you're the student there so you have credibility. But from what I've experienced, there's so much the school has to offer!

There are so many dental schools all across the country I would not venture to say or guess if it is the same situation in every state of the U.S. As far as rankings go, dental schools are not ranked by any kind of publication since they collectively opted out of participating in US World News and other magazines like that (another proof dentists are smarter than doctors :D) so I do not know what rankings you are talking about. The only thing UCSF can boast of is being the dental school with the most grant money in the country for basic science research, but you have to consider if that is important to you or if it matters in your education, specially since that is the school's top priority above teaching dentists in my opinion.

I do agree the school has plenty to offer but at the same time I do not want everyone to think it is this amazing place with no faults. You have to judge what the balance is of con vs pro and if you would take it

Last edited:
Hey Sorry for the late replies but I dont check on this website that often. I'm kinda busy with clinic and other stuff.

Hey there squareroot, thanks for posting! I was really hoping someone would talk about these topics a bit more. I know California is in a financial rut, but do you know if the tuition would be going up again like it did the past few years? I know in 2008 it was around 25k and it skyrocketed to 40k, and I'm wondering if there's an end in sight to the tuition increase. You also mentioned a lot of things about the quality of teaching. Given all that and your experience there, would you re-enroll at UCSF if you were to redo dental school? (and why?) If you had an offer at a cheaper school,(maybe not as good) would you go there instead? Or do you think this is something students experience everywhere like societysdentist said? Do you think all of the fanfare about UCSF is merited?

Do I know if tuition is going to increase in the near future? nope. I can only hope it does not do so before I graduate.

If I had the chance to do it all over again, I don't know if I would enroll here or not since I do believe this is the best school I could get into. I also know there are better schools I did not even consider because of the cost just being more than I wanted to handle, which brings me to the question about the cheaper school.

People here on SDN like to say all dental schools are alike so just go for the cheaper one. When you look over a parking lot you can see the whole range from BMW to Chrysler and all of those cars are certified for the road, meaning all of them meet minimum standards for the road, pollution, gas mileage etc. However, that does not mean they are all the same car. There are cars that just meet expectations and there are those exceed expectations, and the same is true with dental schools.

Going to a cheaper school is only a good deal if you are getting a fantastic education for lesser price. Going to a very expensive school is still a good deal if you get a fantastic education and it sets you up for success, while saving money at the public school can be a terrible deal if you are not getting your money's worth and they put you on track to work at western dental.

This is excellent criteria. Both schools are excellent. You're comparing top notch institutions. It comes down to this chart above.

Hey Sorry for the late replies but I dont check on this website that often. I'm kinda busy with clinic and other stuff.

Do I know if tuition is going to increase in the near future? nope. I can only hope it does not do so before I graduate.

If I had the chance to do it all over again, I don't know if I would enroll here or not since I do believe this is the best school I could get into. I also know there are better schools I did not even consider because of the cost just being more than I wanted to handle, which brings me to the question about the cheaper school.

People here on SDN like to say all dental schools are alike so just go for the cheaper one. When you look over a parking lot you can see the whole range from BMW to Chrysler and all of those cars are certified for the road, meaning all of them meet minimum standards for the road, pollution, gas mileage etc. However, that does not mean they are all the same car. There are cars that just meet expectations and there are those exceed expectations, and the same is true with dental schools.

Going to a cheaper school is only a good deal if you are getting a fantastic education for lesser price. Going to a very expensive school is still a good deal if you get a fantastic education and it sets you up for success, while saving money at the public school can be a terrible deal if you are not getting your money's worth and they put you on track to work at western dental.

I think this is also a very important missed point. I agree with this. Not only that, but when building up your initial credentials with patients, you can use the penn school name or UCSF school name to help boost your name. However, in your case both schools are top notch.