Penn vs. UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental-444

Reaction score
I will not be able to get IS tuition for UCSF as I am an international student. I also am not looking to specialize.

UCSF

pros
- cheaper tuition (20k a year cheaper)
- smaller class size
- P/NP

cons:
- expensive living
- older facilities

Penn

pros:
- incredible facilities
- ivy
- new curriculum changes

cons:
- more expensive tuition
- larger class size
- graded

Members don't see this ad.

I will not be able to get IS tuition for UCSF as I am an international student. I also am not looking to specialize.

UCSF

pros
- cheaper tuition (20k a year cheaper)
- smaller class size
- P/NP

cons:
- expensive living
- older facilities

Penn

pros:
- incredible facilities
- ivy
- new curriculum changes

cons:
- more expensive tuition
- larger class size
- graded
cheaper

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you please let me know why? The difference will be 10k a year after expenses.
- larger class size with ranks = not the best environment because more competitiveness
- UCSF has roughly 60-70 students with pass/fail which means the class is likely going to be a very supportive family + you will have a lot of time outside of class to do things you enjoy or volunteer or get more experience
- 20k/year cheaper = 80k savings ++ UCSF is really good about food security - majority of students get their food from the UCSF pantry for free
- UCSF also sets you up with mildly affordable student housing
- also UCSF is very transparent with their procedures - which I think speaks volumes (sending out rejections so people know // setting up financial aid seminars // Q/A seminars about what they are looking for in their interview // etc.)
- additionally, faculty REALLY care about student feedback - the lowered class size came from students saying that they're not getting enough experience ++ they are introducing a new curriculum change that will be effective in 2026 (such as more pediatrics)
x - though, Penn is changing a lot of their curriculum to focus on more clinical experience (but no one has any experience with it yet)

also, if you're worried about ivy, UCSF is ranked higher than Penn and more funded by the NIH

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
UCSF is an Ivy without the undergrads. It is a completely graduate/professional program with powerhouse access to research and clinical opportunities.

Check out all the clinical opportunities. Yes the bread and butter student clinic will be your home, but you would be surprised about the other clinics.

Reactions: 1 user
UCSF is an Ivy without the undergrads. It is a completely graduate/professional program with powerhouse access to research and clinical opportunities.

Check out all the clinical opportunities. Yes the bread and butter student clinic will be your home, but you would be surprised about the other clinics.
Also, despite being completely graduate, anyone associated with science by even an ounce knows the name UCSF if that's what you're worried about. The research they produce is INCREDIBLE - For example, their molecular model programs are used by every researcher within the molecular biology departments across the nation.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, despite being completely graduate, anyone associated with science by even an ounce knows the name UCSF if that's what you're worried about. The research they produce is INCREDIBLE - For example, their molecular model programs are used by every researcher within the molecular biology departments across the nation.

What about the tech available in penn? I heard UCSF is more on the traditional side. I am looking for the most clinical experience i could get.

Really appreciate your input!

Last edited:
What about the tech available in penn? I heard UCSF is more on the traditional side. I am looking for the most clinical experience i could get.

Really appreciate your input!
I agree, tech is likely to be better at Penn because it's a private institution. It's going to be something you're going to have to decide on though. In terms of general clinical experience, there's been a lot of changes (and forthcoming changes) at both Penn and UCSF that only current students are in the loop about. I suggest you reach out to current students and gauge where each are at.

Reactions: 1 user