Penn vs Stony Brook (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycnerd0802

Reaction score
School 1: Penn
Pros:
  • Unranked
  • Ability to retake exams and get an 80 if you do bad on one/multiple
  • Beautiful facilities
  • Great research opportunities
  • Students seem happier
  • Had a better vibe/experience during my interview from faculty and students
  • High specialization rates (I want to do ortho)
Cons:
  • Expensive (didn’t get a Deans scholarship which would’ve pretty much sealed the deal)
  • Would have to rent an apartment so additional living costs

School 2: Stony Brook (IS)

Pros:
  • Cheaper due to in state tuition
  • Proximity to home as I could commute (would probably end up moving out at some point during my four years to be closer/have better experience with classmates)
  • Also unranked??
  • Medical school curriculum
Cons:
  • Students seemed much more stressed based off my interview experience and talking to students
  • Building is soooooo small
  • Not sure how specialization rates are
  • Does not have the same name recognition as Penn
Summary: I am leaning towards Penn because I want to specialize and will most likely pursue ortho. Price difference is large though and I also just think I would have a better experience at Penn since talking to students they seem to have more better things to say about Penn and seem less stressed that Stony students. Any input would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

School 1: Penn
Pros:
  • Unranked
  • Ability to retake exams and get an 80 if you do bad on one/multiple
  • Beautiful facilities
  • Great research opportunities
  • Students seem happier
  • Had a better vibe/experience during my interview from faculty and students
  • High specialization rates (I want to do ortho)
Cons:
  • Expensive (didn’t get a Deans scholarship which would’ve pretty much sealed the deal)
  • Would have to rent an apartment so additional living costs

School 2: Stony Brook (IS)

Pros:
  • Cheaper due to in state tuition
  • Proximity to home as I could commute (would probably end up moving out at some point during my four years to be closer/have better experience with classmates)
  • Also unranked??
  • Medical school curriculum
Cons:
  • Students seemed much more stressed based off my interview experience and talking to students
  • Building is soooooo small
  • Not sure how specialization rates are
  • Does not have the same name recognition as Penn
Summary: I am leaning towards Penn because I want to specialize and will most likely pursue ortho. Price difference is large though and I also just think I would have a better experience at Penn since talking to students they seem to have more better things to say about Penn and seem less stressed that Stony students. Any input would be great.
cheaper...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
SB specialization rates are excellent. I would argue that it is as good if not a better name within dentistry (less public recognition though).

Reactions: 1 users
Stony brook, easy decision. Small class, med curriculum, LESS EXPENSIVE.

Do not be lured by the name of Penn. SB is just as well known and has many students specialize.

Stony brook, easy decision. Small class, med curriculum, LESS EXPENSIVE.

Do not be lured by the name of Penn. SB is just as well known and has many students specialize.
but, but, but, but "prestigious"...

• Haha
Have you heard of the orthodontist with 1 million dollars in debt?

How would you like to be the orthodontist with 2 million dollars in debt?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
One of my friends goes to Penn and really loves it. Stony Brook is a great school and you will definitely thrive wherever you go. Stony Brook is not as good as it used to be because a lot of faculty left over the years. They also have a lot of administration issues. I think the new dean is suppose to be better. I think the student culture is not that great there, but it is still cheaper school. Best of luck!

I was in a similar spot deciding between Harvard and Stony (IS). I decided stony a few months ago and could not be happier with my decision.

Reactions: 3 users