Aamc9 ps 7

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pfaction

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Huh?

Gtbqs.png

It can still accept hydrogen bonds from water though, which is why I said dipole dipole. I wasn't sure at all though so I marked it, but wtf?

Members don't see this ad.

Hydrogen bonding is with respect to Hydrogen NOT Oxygen. So even though they are "oxygenates" MTBE does not have hydrogen. I know you probably though well "A hydrogen bond is the attractive interaction of a hydrogen atom with an electronegative atom," and that the hydrogen can be coming from the water and Oxygen from MTBE but in the case of hydrogen bonding always always think HYDROGEN from what is being asked.

So let's pretend MTBE is an ether, or a ketone. These two cannot hydrogen bond in water?

I get what you're saying, Ketones can't hydrogen bond with themselves, they can hydrogen bond with water molecules though that's mainly because they are hydrogen bond acceptors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I really don't like this question. I thought of it like four ways. I thought, maybe MTBE is a ketone, so yeah, it would undergo both hydrogen bonding with water (acceptor) and dipole dipole. But if it's an ether, it would accept H-bonds but not dipole dipole...doesn't say it's not an ether, so what to do!

But I still don't understand the question. It never said anything about donating or accepting. It just stated the types of bonds.

Yeah, I really don't like this question. I thought of it like four ways. I thought, maybe MTBE is a ketone, so yeah, it would undergo both hydrogen bonding with water (acceptor) and dipole dipole. But if it's an ether, it would accept H-bonds but not dipole dipole...doesn't say it's not an ether, so what to do!

But I still don't understand the question. It never said anything about donating or accepting. It just stated the types of bonds.

Honestly I feel like you're over thinking. Just keep it simply, most of the time believe it or not on the PS the answer is right there. I swear I used to over think the hell out of things on the PS and kept scoring in the 9-10s but when I got out of that I saw a huge jump in my score.

I remember this question and you can figure out if MTBE is a ketone or an ether because they give you the molecular formula. Figure out how many degrees of unsaturation (0, since MTBE is an ether) and you know it is not a ketone. Regardless, the answer is h-bond because neither ketones nor ethers hydrogen bond with themselves.

Yeah, it's an ether, but this question never said about which type of Hydrogen bond. I think this question is lame TBH. If you put MTBE in water, hydrogen bonds do occur.

Yea, I remember this question. I put H-bond just because it was the only one that remotely made sense to me.