MCAT Studying Increases BMI

Started by CoolWhipp
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CoolWhipp

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay studying for the MCAT sucks, that we can all agree on. Some people tend to stress eat and some don't eat as much under stress.

Personally, I stress eat and I put on a few pounds. By a few pounds, I mean 15lbs (oh lawd no).

So, I wanted to make a poll to see where I stood amongst others who studied for the MCAT to make myself feel better if the results show I'm within normal range.
 
I was initially 130 lbs (before I started preparing for the exam)Now I am 110 lbs...but I am a girl and Im like 5'5
The MCAT deffinetely can have a bad infuence on your life!
 
I gained a total of about 13lbs during my 3-month study schedule, but I suspect that may have had less to do with the MCAT and more to do with my gestating a small human being. I did lose about 3lbs in the couple of weeks right before the test though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I gained a total of about 13lbs during my 3-month study schedule, but I suspect that may have had less to do with the MCAT and more to do with my gestating a small human being. I did lose about 3lbs in the couple of weeks right before the test though.

So shouldn't there be a 10lb tally?
 
Exercise is my stress relief during studying but I haven't been able to exercise in about two weeks because of a neck injury. Food has become its replacement.

Abs have disappeared,
It is a vicious cycle,
Must not eat my stress.
 
Took it in Jan, gained 18 lbs. Went from 150 lbs (ran like 6:30 min mile for 3 miles) to 168 lbs (have trouble doing 1 6:30 mile). Some of this was muscle (hell yes), but my belly has clearly grown (hell no...). Gonna start dominating running though (been saying for the past 3 months... it's so hard to start up again 😡)
 
My weight has been fluctuating since I got out of sports.

MCAT prep is definitely packing those 10 pounds back on that I just lost.

5 minute chinese takeout vs. 30 minute cooking isn't much of a matchup. 🙁
 
My weight has been fluctuating since I got out of sports.

MCAT prep is definitely packing those 10 pounds back on that I just lost.

5 minute chinese takeout vs. 30 minute cooking isn't much of a matchup. 🙁

So true! Its not just about dedicating 1 hour to the gym while studying, its about travel time, shower time, time to cook a healthy meal! I don't know how anyone can keep up with all of it. I've just started working on this, and I can already feel that this is going to be bad for my BMI!
 
I've lost 17 pounds since starting MCAT prep in the first week of April. I'm 140 pounds now
at 5 foot 10. I'm surprised more people gain weight than lose during their prep. Because I don't have any time to cook, I'm only eating one meal at noontime along with a morning and evening snack for a total of prob 1100 cals per day.
 
Last edited: