King Edward and Aga Khan Medical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macfan101

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about possibly going abroad to either King Edward Medical or Aga Khan. Aga Khan is LCME accredited; how would that effect me coming back to US to become an MD? Does anyone think this is a good idea; skipping MCAT and no loans in medical school. Coming back, taking USMLE and making big bucks.

Members don't see this ad.

If a person doesn't get in a MD school, would DO be worth it? It sounds exciting to do average in undergrad and score a 20 on mcat then convince parents of how good DO is when they start making a big deal of MD rejection. Is DO salary = MD salary?? Are DO's recognized only in the United States? That is a major drawback considering if you want the option of moving to another country.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am thinking about possibly going abroad to either King Edward Medical or Aga Khan. Aga Khan is LCME accredited; how would that effect me coming back to US to become an MD? Does anyone think this is a good idea; skipping MCAT and no loans in medical school. Coming back, taking USMLE and making big bucks.

I'm pakistani and a few people i know have gone to Aga Khan, King Edward and Dow. i decided not to,however, because 1) I didn't want to study in Pakistan (not a big fan of the environment in general) 2) most of hte people, regardless of how brilliant they were, ended up doing FP residencies or having very little control/say of where they coudl practice in the end. I chose to go DO. My parents were confused at first (and aunties are gonna hate regardless of whether you're a neurosurgeon from harvard) so i went with what felt right to ME. My parents are totally supportive now and desi people, in general, have a better understanding of what DO is now. Don't worry about your parents and whatnot. Figure out if that's what YOU want to do. Like I said, I visited King Edwards because I wanted to go there intially but it was too...different.

I've never heard of a Pakistani school being LCME accredited?

Why don't you guys do some searching on Google.com and let me know what you think after that.

I'm pakistani and a few people i know have gone to Aga Khan, King Edward and Dow. i decided not to,however, because 1) I didn't want to study in Pakistan (not a big fan of the environment in general) 2) most of hte people, regardless of how brilliant they were, ended up doing FP residencies or having very little control/say of where they coudl practice in the end. I chose to go DO. My parents were confused at first (and aunties are gonna hate regardless of whether you're a neurosurgeon from harvard) so i went with what felt right to ME. My parents are totally supportive now and desi people, in general, have a better understanding of what DO is now. Don't worry about your parents and whatnot. Figure out if that's what YOU want to do. Like I said, I visited King Edwards because I wanted to go there intially but it was too...different.

Aunties will always hate :( especially if you made it to harvard, gives them something to be angry about that their child couldn't make it to that level. What about KE did you feel really different? Would you mind sharing your current year in DO school and possibly the name of the school?

Agree with all of the above.

I know Pakistani doctors from both schools who are doing very well here in the US. BUT, they came over here in the 90s, when it was easier for them to get a residency. It has gotten progressively worse over the years, and the environment in Pakistan is far from stable. Last I checked, Aga Khan was fairly expensive for non-Pakistanis....

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen quite a few American-born Pakistanis go to Pakistan/India for medicals school, and as the years go by it's just getting harder to get a residency in the states, and even if you happen to do really good on the USMLE, it's still very unlikely to get a residency in anything other than FP (IM, Psych, Peds, etc).

Skipping the MCAT sounds nice, but everyone has to take the USMLE, and the pressure would be on you to score very well on it (plus you'd need a lot more credentials than the average American candidate). In the long run it's a much better idea to buck down for 3 months and score decently well on the MCAT and just go to a US MD/DO school.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: I know a bunch of Pakistani doctors in the community that are from DO schools. And like you said the Aunties gonna hate. There is a kid that went to Baylor and there are kids that are going to DO schools. In the realm of things it really doesnt matter. They're in med school. My dad went to King Edward and he says he loved it there. Would he want me to go there? NOPE. If you've grown up in the United States and have friends here, its really tough to leave the American lifestyle.

First rule of the Internet: Don't feed the troll.
But I have this overflowing cornucopia of plenty...

But seriously, other countries typically have accreditation systems of their own, so while many international schools advertise as being "accredited," it's often not an organization whose say is relevant to matching in the US for residency, and this distinction between accrediting bodies is important.

But I have this overflowing cornucopia of plenty...

But seriously, other countries typically have accreditation systems of their own, so while many international schools advertise as being "accredited," it's often not an organization whose say is relevant to matching in the US for residency, and this distinction between accrediting bodies is important.

Your a mod so this is gonna contain a lot of verbal gymnastics. You know he is wrong. There is boatloads of evidence to prove he is wrong. There is no question that he is wrong. Yet you still want to get it out of him? Just let the thread die.

Your a mod so this is gonna contain a lot of verbal gymnastics. You know he is wrong. There is boatloads of evidence to prove he is wrong. There is no question that he is wrong. Yet you still want to get it out of him? Just let the thread die.
I know, I know, I was just responding to him at first to be forward about it.

I know, I know, I was just responding to him at first to be forward about it.

It's an LCME-recognized med school which has elective arrangements with many US universities

I think the confusion might lie in the fact that it might have some type of LCME accreditation but maybe not full accreditation

It's an LCME-recognized med school which has elective arrangements with many US universities

I think the confusion might lie in the fact that it might have some type of LCME accreditation but maybe not full accreditation

Dude I love ya and I love Karachi (though its not better than Lahore) this link http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm distinctly says that Aga Khan is NOT accredited.

http://www.lcme.org/

"The Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) is the nationally recognized accrediting authority for medical education programs leading to the MD degree in U.S. and Canadian medical schools...."

Let me know if you see Aga Khan University anywhere on that website.

I think you may be confused. Aga Khan perhaps may have clerkship agreements with LCME accredited US medical schools, but that does not mean Aga Khan has any type of LCME accreditation.

Aga Khan is not LCME accredited, but King Edward's has a residency agreement with Mayo (and has had one for over 30 years) and that's probably why this guy is saying that it's LCME accredited.

This agreement allows the top (probably like 2-3%) of Edward Graduates to come and do their residency at the Mayo Clinic, but for an expat that's coming to study there that's nearly impossible because most Edward's Pakistani Students have dedicated their life to inhaling textbooks, and unless your urdu is perfect and you understand lectures given in Urglish, I'd doubt you'd do as well as them. Unless you make that upper tier, getting into a residency will be hard for you, as hard as it is for most people that go to foreign Medical Schools. Btw, Aga Khan is hardly comparable to Edwards.

Why not just avoid that hassle and get a DO, where your chances of getting a residency will be much higher?

Aga Khan is not LCME accredited, but King Edward's has a residency agreement with Mayo (and has had one for over 30 years) and that's probably why this guy is saying that it's LCME accredited.

This agreement allows the top (probably like 2-3%) of Edward Graduates to come and do their residency at the Mayo Clinic, but for an expat that's coming to study there that's nearly impossible because most Edward's Pakistani Students have dedicated their life to inhaling textbooks, and unless your urdu is perfect and you understand lectures given in Urglish, I'd doubt you'd do as well as them. Unless you make that upper tier, getting into a residency will be hard for you, as hard as it is for most people that go to foreign Medical Schools. Btw, Aga Khan is hardly comparable to Edwards.

Why not just avoid that hassle and get a DO, where your chances of getting a residency will be much higher?

I know right? What's wrong with a DO? I had the choice of going to Edwards, but what is the match rate for internationals like 50% or something and for DO it is like 80%.

Aunties will always hate :( especially if you made it to harvard, gives them something to be angry about that their child couldn't make it to that level. What about KE did you feel really different? Would you mind sharing your current year in DO school and possibly the name of the school?

sorry if I made it sound like I'm in med school right now. I'm actually WL and going to do a masters. I had the option of going to KE after high school but there were a few things that turned me off:

1) I know I'm gonna get flamed by some entitled KE/Agha Khan kid on here but I know someone on admissions there and I was basically told that at the "interview" portion, if I offered to give them $$$ under the table, I'd be in. The whole idea of bribery and cheating (anyone see the local Pakistani news lately about metric exams) is RIDICULOUS and not something that I want to be a part of.

2) I'm a female and I don't think it's an environment very supportive of women. I didn't deal necessarily with KE students but when I was around there (I'm a Lahore native), there were literally throngs of guys outside the women's hostel/dorms just...standing. Growing up here, that freaks the hell out of me. Also, unless you're from a super progressive family back home (I'm not), chances are you're going to get hounded with proposals and aunties throwing their uneducated/backwards sons at you because you're "overage". I didn't appreciate it the few weeks I was there and I don't think I could handle it for a few years when in medical school. (again this was MY experience, not everyone else's)

3) My cousin is in dental school there and my mom's cousins are all doctors/lawyers/dentists and their system of testing is...different. My cousin had 1-2 american pakistani girls in her dental class and, according to her, one had to repeat the coursework again and the other struggled a LOT. She said that they were really smart but the concept of 'testing' in pakistan = memorizing the textbook and regurgitating it. The american raised kids weren't/aren't used to it, so they suffer.

like i said, haters gonna hate and aunties are gonna dislike whoever is more educated/better looking/nicer/richer/etc than lil bunty or bubli so no point in making a decision based on their preferences. I've had loads of people in the community go to random ass schools in the Caribbean because their families mentalities were "MD or bust".Now they're paying the price because most of them weren't able to get residencies...or are stuck in the middle of nowhere for god knows how many years...miserable.

if you have any specific questions about pak schools, feel free to message me. I did quite a bit of research because I know people there and was thinking of going there myself.

Dude I love ya and I love Karachi (though its not better than Lahore) this link http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm distinctly says that Aga Khan is NOT accredited.

:thumbup:

jk

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: I know a bunch of Pakistani doctors in the community that are from DO schools. And like you said the Aunties gonna hate. There is a kid that went to Baylor and there are kids that are going to DO schools. In the realm of things it really doesnt matter. They're in med school. My dad went to King Edward and he says he loved it there. Would he want me to go there? NOPE. If you've grown up in the United States and have friends here, its really tough to leave the American lifestyle.

some aunty/uncle straight up said "wait, baita, so if you're gonna be an optometrist, why are you telling people you want to med school" when they found out I had an interview at a DO school.

goes to show how little stock you should put in random people's opinions.

agreed and PLEASE dont' go to Dow if you're looking at that one. I know 3 people that failed multiple classes here and then left UG to go to Dow for med school.

Is aga khan really not as good? I know many people that go to KE and always thought they were such academic unqualified to even secure a seat at aga khan.

:thumbup:

jk

some aunty/uncle straight up said "wait, baita, so if you're gonna be an optometrist, why are you telling people you want to med school" when they found out I had an interview at a DO school.

goes to show how little stock you should put in random people's opinions.

agreed and PLEASE dont' go to Dow if you're looking at that one. I know 3 people that failed multiple classes here and then left UG to go to Dow for med school.

Haha I love how in our culture, we are so influenced by what aunties have to say, the same aunties who didn't even complete high school, forget college and try to act like some big shots because they got in some arranged marriage with a MD who passed his usmle in 1970s and got a job here and then talk **** to you saying if a foreign graduate could do it, why can't you.

sorry if I made it sound like I'm in med school right now. I'm actually WL and going to do a masters. I had the option of going to KE after high school but there were a few things that turned me off:

1) I know I'm gonna get flamed by some entitled KE/Agha Khan kid on here but I know someone on admissions there and I was basically told that at the "interview" portion, if I offered to give them $$$ under the table, I'd be in. The whole idea of bribery and cheating (anyone see the local Pakistani news lately about metric exams) is RIDICULOUS and not something that I want to be a part of.

2) I'm a female and I don't think it's an environment very supportive of women. I didn't deal necessarily with KE students but when I was around there (I'm a Lahore native), there were literally throngs of guys outside the women's hostel/dorms just...standing. Growing up here, that freaks the hell out of me. Also, unless you're from a super progressive family back home (I'm not), chances are you're going to get hounded with proposals and aunties throwing their uneducated/backwards sons at you because you're "overage". I didn't appreciate it the few weeks I was there and I don't think I could handle it for a few years when in medical school. (again this was MY experience, not everyone else's)

3) My cousin is in dental school there and my mom's cousins are all doctors/lawyers/dentists and their system of testing is...different. My cousin had 1-2 american pakistani girls in her dental class and, according to her, one had to repeat the coursework again and the other struggled a LOT. She said that they were really smart but the concept of 'testing' in pakistan = memorizing the textbook and regurgitating it. The american raised kids weren't/aren't used to it, so they suffer.

like i said, haters gonna hate and aunties are gonna dislike whoever is more educated/better looking/nicer/richer/etc than lil bunty or bubli so no point in making a decision based on their preferences. I've had loads of people in the community go to random ass schools in the Caribbean because their families mentalities were "MD or bust".Now they're paying the price because most of them weren't able to get residencies...or are stuck in the middle of nowhere for god knows how many years...miserable.

if you have any specific questions about pak schools, feel free to message me. I did quite a bit of research because I know people there and was thinking of going there myself.

I'm in love with this girl.... totally agree with you 100%. But there is one other aspect you forgot to mention and that is lifestyle. American pakis and pakis grown up in lahore have different lifestyles and its hard to adjust back once you've experienced the american lifestyle. By the way, are you doing masters because you didn't want to go to MD or did you get rejected from all schools?

Is aga khan really not as good? I know many people that go to KE and always thought they were such academic unqualified to even secure a seat at aga khan.

King Edward's is probably the most renowned and trusted Medical College in all of PK. Securing a seat at Edward's requires one of two things, amazing intellect, or amazing pedigree. Either way, a person that can make it to Edwards, has absolutely no reason to think of Aga Khan. Aga Khan started as a state school, and though it's continually improving, graduates usually stay in PK and get passed through the government system. Even though I believe you're crippling yourself with a Pakistani Medical Degree (they might not mean anything in 2-3 years due to all the political issues), if you HAD to choose one it'd be King Edward's.

King Edward's is probably the most renowned and trusted Medical College in all of PK. Securing a seat at Edward's requires one of two things, amazing intellect, or amazing pedigree. Either way, a person that can make it to Edwards, has absolutely no reason to think of Aga Khan. Aga Khan started as a state school, and though it's continually improving, graduates usually stay in PK and get passed through the government system. Even though I believe you're crippling yourself with a Pakistani Medical Degree (they might not mean anything in 2-3 years due to all the political issues), if you HAD to choose one it'd be King Edward's.

This. Everyone that thinks that they are gonna skip a year by studying in Pakistan is crazy. Pakistan is gonna drive you crazy, I went back to live there for my middle school years and I absolutely hated it after a couple of months. Adjusting to the lifestyle and being the only kid that doesn't know urdu is the worst thing ever (though i knew urdu really well). I'm sure the OP's stats arent that bad that they prevent him from going to a DO school. Screw the aunties and screw the cardiology fellowship and screw what others think.

This. Everyone that thinks that they are gonna skip a year by studying in Pakistan is crazy. Pakistan is gonna drive you crazy, I went back to live there for my middle school years and I absolutely hated it after a couple of months. Adjusting to the lifestyle and being the only kid that doesn't know urdu is the worst thing ever (though i knew urdu really well). I'm sure the OP's stats arent that bad that they prevent him from going to a DO school. Screw the aunties and screw the cardiology fellowship and screw what others think.

Basically.

Applies to other problems in other areas of life too.

Status
Not open for further replies.