Interview Season?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BNHWC2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is the typical interview season? October-March? I am trying to plan life/school/work/travel and don't want to overlap too much with interview season. Can any medical students speak to when the bulk of your interviews were? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

When is the typical interview season? October-March? I am trying to plan life/school/work/travel and don't want to overlap too much with interview season. Can any medical students speak to when the bulk of your interviews were? Thanks! :)

Depends on the school. Some start in August...

And some will continue through March, though at that point you're probably interviewing for a waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
And it depends on you personally. My first interview was at DMU and I heard back Sep. 27th and being that I was 100% certain I was going to DMU, my interview season was over before Oct.

Generally sept through march. I was completed my secondaries by dec 1 and had interviews from jan thru march, but you will get them much earlier if you complete everything earlier.

Generally sept through march. I was completed my secondaries by dec 1 and had interviews from jan thru march, but you will get them much earlier if you complete everything earlier.

Thanks! Yes, my application was verified today and I have most of the secondaries pre-written so I should have everything in early. Hopefully that helps! :xf:

I hope I get some interviews this cycle :xf:. I've turned down 2 jobs to keep my current job, which I hate w/ a passion, just so I could have my week free in case I get lucky. I dislike my job because of my lab manager and that I work 30hrs EVERY weekend. Lol alot of holidays have been falling on weekends this year.

It also depends upon how strong of an applicant you are. If you have good stats you'll get some September (or August at some schools) interviews. But the process can drag out... I had my first interview in August and my last in March. Long journey! I ended up choosing a school from a September interview though. Good luck !!

And it depends on you personally. My first interview was at DMU and I heard back Sep. 27th and being that I was 100% certain I was going to DMU, my interview season was over before Oct.

I am so hoping this happens to me. :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::luck::luck::luck::luck:

It also depends upon how strong of an applicant you are. If you have good stats you'll get some September (or August at some schools) interviews. But the process can drag out... I had my first interview in August and my last in March. Long journey! I ended up choosing a school from a September interview though. Good luck !!

Thanks for the info! Does anyone know what schools start in August?

Depends on the strength of your application and how early you applied. Usually around Oct-Nov.
But could be as late as Jan-April.

Quite a few I would imagine. Of the Florida DO schools, LECOM-B starts the last week of July and NSU-COM starts the first week of August.

Just to add...TCOM has already been extending interview invites for the end of July. Lucky peeps

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to add...TCOM has already been extending interview invites for the end of July. Lucky peeps

TCOM begins early since TMDSAS's cycle is early. Which reminds me I need to get my TMDSAS application going. :D

Generally the interview season is September-March but you want to be complete by July/early August in case some schools begin in August or you want to have the Adcoms look at your application for consideration to the first interview slots.

I interviewed at LECOM-B in August, and I think some people there said that LECOM-E had some July interviews. I interviewed at DMU Sept 2, and that was their 2nd interview date I believe... Just a word of advice regarding the LECOM interviews. If you get accepted, you have 2(maybe 3) weeks to pay a $1500 deposit. Or I heard you can opt to get your decision in December, but I didn't get that choice. So if you are set on going there that is fine, but I wasn't so I didn't pay the $1500 bucks. I would almost say it's better to interview at LECOM after you have interviewed somewhere else, so you know if you want to pay the 1500 bucks.

I interviewed at LECOM-B in August, and I think some people there said that LECOM-E had some July interviews. I interviewed at DMU Sept 2, and that was their 2nd interview date I believe... Just a word of advice regarding the LECOM interviews. If you get accepted, you have 2(maybe 3) weeks to pay a $1500 deposit. Or I heard you can opt to get your decision in December, but I didn't get that choice. So if you are set on going there that is fine, but I wasn't so I didn't pay the $1500 bucks. I would almost say it's better to interview at LECOM after you have interviewed somewhere else, so you know if you want to pay the 1500 bucks.

That's good to know! Thanks so much! :)

LECOM is super early to try to collect the 1500 NR deposits from people who want to guarantee themselves a seat (As I did)... They start in July...

True, but the amount of time that you have to reserve your seat and submit $1500 is dependent on when you were accepted, as is the case with many schools. The closer you are to the end of the cycle it becomes about 2 weeks. I had about a month to decide, but hadn't heard from another school I Interviewed at by the end of the month, so I sent in my deposit to guarantee I had a spot for the Class of 2016. I think someone would be crazy to not reserve their spot and give it up so they can only hope to be accepted elsewhere. That's just not smart, but people may do with their life as they seem fit. IMO, it is not worth the risk.

LECOM is super early to try to collect the 1500 NR deposits from people who want to guarantee themselves a seat (As I did)... They start in July...

:thumbup: Exactly

I was in a similar situation to Frkys, I started my season in late September with DMU and then ended it towards the end of October. I was accepted to one of my top 2 schools so I cancled other interviews after that.

I submitted my primaries in July last year and finished secondaries as quickly as I could get them written. I interviewed in September at Lecom-B and at that time we did get the choice to wait until December to hear their decision. Although, it felt a bit like a mind-game where the only really good choice was to say "I want to know now because I want to go here" instead of "I want to see what my other options at other schools are first" :p However, talking with other students since then it seems like waiting until December wasn't the kiss of death I had thought it would be at the time.

Also, the 30 day time limit is not as bad as it sounds. Look at it from this angle. Since I only had 30 days to make my decision I was able to call up other schools who had already offered me interviews and explain my situation to them in hopes of bumping my interview date up. For the most part they were actually pretty understanding and willing to accommodate. For instance, because I had a deadline at Lecom-B my previous #1 school was willing to move my interview date to the next available spot if someone backed out of interview. A spot opened up about a week later and I jumped on it. So within that month I interviewed at my top choice and at Lecom-B which allowed me to confidently make the decision on where to go (I really liked PBL). Interview season was done mid-October and I declined the remainder of my interviews. It actually worked out pretty nicely.

Last edited:
I interviewed in September at Lecom-B and at that time we did get the choice to wait until December to hear their decision. Although, it felt a bit like a mind-game where the only really good choice was to say "I want to know now because I want to go here" instead of "I want to see what my other options at other schools are first" :p However, talking with other students since then it seems like waiting until December wasn't the kiss of death I had thought it would be at the time.

Thanks for your input! Yeah, I was wondering if marking December has an impact on their decision... Do LECOM and LECOM-B both have that option? (I'm applying to LECOM but not LECOM-B). Congrats on getting in!

Thanks for your input! Yeah, I was wondering if marking December has an impact on their decision... Do LECOM and LECOM-B both have that option? (I'm applying to LECOM but not LECOM-B). Congrats on getting in!

Yeah, people do still get accepted if they mark December, but personally I can't shake the feeling that saying you'd like to know right away reflects more positively on you as an applicant.

I'm not sure if Lecom has that option or not actually. They're one of the interviews I turned down ;P

Out of curiosity, are you not applying to Lecom-B because of the PBL curriculum?

Yeah, people do still get accepted if they mark December, but personally I can't shake the feeling that saying you'd like to know right away reflects more positively on you as an applicant.

I'm not sure if Lecom has that option or not actually. They're one of the interviews I turned down ;P

Out of curiosity, are you not applying to Lecom-B because of the PBL curriculum?

I agree... Not sure if it actually does, but it seems like saying you want to know right away would reflect more positively.

I didn't apply to LECOM-B mostly because I kept hearing that newer schools don't always have the best rotation sites. Not sure if that applies to LECOM-B or not, but because of that I mostly just applied to the older schools. But in regards to PBL I think it's awesome for some people and not for others. Given the choice I would probably go with a more traditional route, but that's just me :) Is LECOM-B totally PBL?

Why'd you turn down LECOM?

True that. I think they actually did give me 30 days initially. But I was waiting for my DMU decision, so I asked for an extension, which they gave me. Once I heard from DMU, I turned down my LECOM spot, so I didn't pay the $1500.

I didn't apply to LECOM-B mostly because I kept hearing that newer schools don't always have the best rotation sites. Not sure if that applies to LECOM-B or not, but because of that I mostly just applied to the older schools. But in regards to PBL I think it's awesome for some people and not for others. Given the choice I would probably go with a more traditional route, but that's just me :) Is LECOM-B totally PBL?

From how I understand rotations at Bradenton (given, I'm still a long way from doing them so take this with a grain of salt) are the same as the ones you do from Erie. The same hospitals are open to you and you are just told to stay within the Lecom affiliate system for your required rotations. Electives are up to you and can be set up at places outside of the system.

Why'd you turn down LECOM?

Just about every valid student complaint I hear about Lecom comes from the Erie campus (specifically from the lecture students :p). After my Bradenton interview I decided I really liked the curriculum so it came down to where I'd rather do PBL and knowing myself I knew I'd prefer somewhere warm and beautiful. I just picked where I thought I'd be happiest.

Plus, Bradenton is beautiful! Coming from a very snowy and cold part of the US the idea of having no snow or cold for a few years admittedly is pretty attractive...

True that. I think they actually did give me 30 days initially. But I was waiting for my DMU decision, so I asked for an extension, which they gave me. Once I heard from DMU, I turned down my LECOM spot, so I didn't pay the $1500.

I didn't realize they would give extensions. You just called and asked? What'd you say?

From how I understand rotations at Bradenton (given, I'm still a long way from doing them so take this with a grain of salt) are the same as the ones you do from Erie. The same hospitals are open to you and you are just told to stay within the Lecom affiliate system for your required rotations. Electives are up to you and can be set up at places outside of the system.

Just about every valid student complaint I hear about Lecom comes from the Erie campus (specifically from the lecture students :p). After my Bradenton interview I decided I really liked the curriculum so it came down to where I'd rather do PBL and knowing myself I knew I'd prefer somewhere warm and beautiful. I just picked where I thought I'd be happiest.

Plus, Bradenton is beautiful! Coming from a very snowy and cold part of the US the idea of having no snow or cold for a few years admittedly is pretty attractive...

That's good rotations seem legit. I honestly didn't look in to it. I definitely feel you on the weather (although I'm from CA so I prefer the west coast).

Any info on interviewing at other schools?

Hi Everyone!

I am hoping to get some idea about my chances for getting an interview. My Stats: 3.66 sgpa and cgpa. 24O 9 PS 6 VR 9 BS. I just submitted my primary about ten minutes ago! I am prepping to retake my MCATs towards the end of august, but I wanted to submit this application earlier to see if I get interview early on. What are your thoughts?

I have great research experience, letter from DO. I have a lot of volunteer experience and have currently accepted a job to work in the ER as a Scribe. I have had leadership roles in a charity group I have great passion for.

Thank you

Hi Everyone!

I am hoping to get some idea about my chances for getting an interview. My Stats: 3.66 sgpa and cgpa. 24O 9 PS 6 VR 9 BS. I just submitted my primary about ten minutes ago! I am prepping to retake my MCATs towards the end of august, but I wanted to submit this application earlier to see if I get interview early on. What are your thoughts?

I have great research experience, letter from DO. I have a lot of volunteer experience and have currently accepted a job to work in the ER as a Scribe. I have had leadership roles in a charity group I have great passion for.

Thank you

I'm not sure... You might have better luck posting this in the "What are my chances?" thread. Good luck on your August MCAT! :)

I didn't realize they would give extensions. You just called and asked? What'd you say?

I think extensions are rare, unless you have a legit reason. And I think I asked for like a week extension, and they were ok with that. I told them I was waiting to hear back from another program,and would know soon, but I couldn't just give up $1500 bucks (something like that). When I got accepted at that school I withdrew from LECOM-B. I think it's possible to get an extension but they will be for a short period of time, and you better have a legit reason.

So okay, let me make sure I understand:

If you get an interview at LECOM really early in the cycle you can mark December as to when you want to find out whether you are accepted or not? And this will not make you look "bad"?

So okay, let me make sure I understand:

If you get an interview at LECOM really early in the cycle you can mark December as to when you want to find out whether you are accepted or not? And this will not make you look "bad"?

No one is going to care.

How long after primary verification till secondaries start arriving. I was verified 6/28 and it said release dates will appear next to schools. But all mine say is "Receipt" am i missing something?

How long after primary verification till secondaries start arriving. I was verified 6/28 and it said release dates will appear next to schools. But all mine say is "Receipt" am i missing something?

I think I read that they are released weekly (like every tuesday or something) so you might be released tomorrow. You'll be able to find where people were talking about this using the search function if you want better info. The release date will show next to "receipt" and you will be able to view your application. You should start receiving secondaries soon after your app is released--there are already a few being sent out.

thanks sry I thought I was somewhere else and all the posts started running together. will do.

thanks sry I thought I was somewhere else and all the posts started running together. will do.

No worries :) I'm sure everyone understands that... Did you get released today?? So far ATSU (KCOM and AZ), CCOM and AZCOM have sent out secondaries (Of the ones I applied to). I think I saw that Ohio and Michigan have too. Might be worth it to start pre-writing (if you haven't already) so you can send them right in after you get them. Good luck!

No worries :) I'm sure everyone understands that... Did you get released today?? So far ATSU (KCOM and AZ), CCOM and AZCOM have sent out secondaries (Of the ones I applied to). I think I saw that Ohio and Michigan have too. Might be worth it to start pre-writing (if you haven't already) so you can send them right in after you get them. Good luck!

AZCOM didnt release. People just found their secondary when they filled out CCOM's. We have all been instructed Not to fill it out.

AZCOM didnt release. People just found their secondary when they filled out CCOM's. We have all been instructed Not to fill it out.

Oh, really? Thanks for letting me know. Yeah, I got it through the CCOM portal. Where did you hear not to fill it out?

Oh, really? Thanks for letting me know. Yeah, I got it through the CCOM portal. Where did you hear not to fill it out?

One of the guys in the school specific thread gave them a call.