MDapps is down :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAPI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know who the admin is or who to contact?

Members don't see this ad.

I would PANIC and call everyone.

Call AMCAS. Call SDN. Call every medical school you are applying to. Call the Carribean.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
lol okay... I only ask because sometimes admins of sites like mdapps, ones that require "little" maintenance and are not their #1 priority, may not even know its down till someone lets them know and it could be an easy fix.

lol okay... I only ask because sometimes admins of sites like mdapps, ones that require "little" maintenance and are not their #1 priority, may not even know its down till someone lets them know and it could be an easy fix.

Eh good point. I was trying to be funny and ended up sounding like an a-hole, sorry. I think with the timing (application cycle) and the crazy neurotic pre-meds someone probably alerted them within seconds. It goes down periodically, not to worry it'll probably be up soon.

It's been down since last night for me. :( I hope they fix it soon.

The admin of mdapps is a member of SDN.

IIRC, he went to Ohio state and his handle starts with an "X".

That's all I got, good luck.

I would PANIC and call everyone.

Call AMCAS. Call SDN. Call every medical school you are applying to. Call the Carribean.

Nah, youre not an a-hole. Youre just a funny guy! I laughed! (no sarcasm, seriously. Lol)

I've been using MDapps to keep track of my secondaries. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
...someday. Guess there's some technical issue with my hosting provider.

xaelia, do you know by approximately when Mdapps will be back up? Would it be just a few days or much longer?

xaelia, do you know by approximately when Mdapps will be back up? Would it be just a few days or much longer?

1238965_o.gif

from the looks of it either the servers had a major data failure (cmon this is what RAID is for..) or MDApps got hacked and the admins don't want to admit it

Bu bu bu buuut....how else will I neurotically compare myself with other faceless dwelers of SDN??????

Bu bu bu buuut....how else will I neurotically compare myself with other faceless dwelers of SDN??????

You know, I think I'm gonna go to the WAMC forums and randomly insult people. :rolleyes:

Man, the day I discovered MDApps was like the best and worst of my life.

Hmm...best and worst, eh? Sorry, old chap.

Well, in any event, the story is: no idea, no idea. The hosting for MDA - which I thought was at a data center of some sort - is actually at a guy's house in Austin. They've been getting hit with strong thunderstorms and having scattered power outages - power went out at Uchiko while I was there - and the assumption is the power went out at his house, and MDA went down as a result.

The lack of clarity results from the hosting provider having moved to London - and his friends who currently live in the house were/are out of town. I assume I'll hear more when they return. I know MDA looks like some sort of semi-professional operation... but it's really just me, with a friend of mine hosting it for free. Perhaps it's time to find it a new home....

Well, in any event, the story is: no idea, no idea. The hosting for MDA - which I thought was at a data center of some sort - is actually at a guy's house in Austin. They've been getting hit with strong thunderstorms and having scattered power outages - power went out at Uchiko while I was there - and the assumption is the power went out at his house, and MDA went down as a result.

The lack of clarity results from the hosting provider having moved to London - and his friends who currently live in the house were/are out of town. I assume I'll hear more when they return. I know MDA looks like some sort of semi-professional operation... but it's really just me, with a friend of mine hosting it for free. Perhaps it's time to find it a new home....
Yes it is time unless you want to be responsible for multitudes of nervous breakdowns. lol

never never never use a cheap hosting provider.. if you have the money use heroku.. you'll have MDApps up and running within 30 minutes. Otherwise get a VPS somewhere like linode with a good rep.

never never never use a cheap hosting provider.. if you have the money use heroku.. you'll have MDApps up and running within 30 minutes. Otherwise get a VPS somewhere like linode with a good rep.

I don't think he makes enough money from the site to warrant that upgrade from "free"...unless the change is just due to principles.

That said, wasn't there an SDN logo on the bottom of mdapps website? Sell out to them and have them run it. :p

Or just get some google ads to pay for it. I'm sure there is enough traffic to fund it.

Haha. :) MDApps is a fantastic site and you're a genius for creating it. I was merely pointing out that, once I found it, I spent hours neurotically reading everyone's profiles in an attempt to gauge my chances at every school imaginable. That's all.

Haha. :) MDApps is a fantastic site and you're a genius for creating it. I was merely pointing out that, once I found it, I spent hours neurotically reading everyone's profiles in an attempt to gauge my chances at every school imaginable. That's all.

I do something similar! Except I'm applying in a few years so I look at it for ideas for what I can do as extracurriculars and get a sense of what I need to do to get in. I also look at people who got scholarships to see what makes them so special. I'm probably one of the poster children for neurotic people :D:D:D

i have a hypothesis that md apps "going down" is all part of an elaborate social experiment to see how crazy the neurotic pre-meds will go without it this app cycle.

well its working because we are going bat****!! :scared: or at least i am...

i have a hypothesis that md apps "going down" is all part of an elaborate social experiment to see how crazy the neurotic pre-meds will go without it this app cycle.

Results of the shutdown
Reactions by premed students have ranged from withdrawal to hallucinations, suicidal tendencies to violent reactions. According to a poll conducted by the SDN Institute*, 94.2% of respondents will have a hard time making in through the day. If the site isn't returned to it's normal working state, experts fear that premed students will take to the streets because of the outrage. Rampant destruction would be eminent. Police suggest that people should lock their doors, bolt the windows and carry a machine gun if riots are to occur.

Other safety precautions include the following: flashlights, an adequate supply of food and water in case riots last longer then a few days, first aid kit and an Organic Chemistry textbook. If one is to be approached by a rioter, it is suggested not to make eye contact. If they try to harass you, throw the Organic Chemistry textbook at them. Researchers have discovered that such apparatus has repelling abilities towards premed students; however, the cause for this is still unknown.** If the textbook doesn't faze them, then run in a zigzag motion. According to some speculative sources, running side to side will make them too dizzy to pursue.

Riots are expected to last for several days to at least a week. Most will likely occur in urban cities and areas; however, residents of rural and suburban areas are still suggested to take precaution. Some experts fear that "there will be some lone wolves who will do much more damage than those who are grouped together."***

(1) SDN Institute, 2012 "Internet Poll on Premeds during the MDapp shutdown."

(2) Carribean Medical School of Carribean Isle, 2009 "The Magic of Organic Chemistry textbook"

(3) Yahooo News!, June 2012 "Danger of Loner Premed Wolves"

Results of the shutdown
Reactions by premed students have ranged from withdrawal to hallucinations, suicidal tendencies to violent reactions. According to a poll conducted by the SDN Institute*, 94.2% of respondents will have a hard time making in through the day. If the site isn't returned to it's normal working state, experts fear that premed students will take to the streets because of the outrage. Rampant destruction would be eminent. Police suggest that people should lock their doors, bolt the windows and carry a machine gun if riots are to occur.

Other safety precautions include the following: flashlights, an adequate supply of food and water in case riots last longer then a few days, first aid kit and an Organic Chemistry textbook. If one is to be approached by a rioter, it is suggested not to make eye contact. If they try to harass you, throw the Organic Chemistry textbook at them. Researchers have discovered that such apparatus has repelling abilities towards premed students; however, the cause for this is still unknown.** If the textbook doesn't faze them, then run in a zigzag motion. According to some speculative sources, running side to side will make them too dizzy to pursue.

Riots are expected to last for several days to at least a week. Most will likely occur in urban cities and areas; however, residents of rural and suburban areas are still suggested to take precaution. Some experts fear that "there will be some lone wolves who will do much more damage than those who are grouped together."***

(1) SDN Institute, 2012 "Internet Poll on Premeds during the MDapp shutdown."

(2) Carribean Medical School of Carribean Isle, 2009 "The Magic of Organic Chemistry textbook"

(3) Yahooo News!, June 2012 "Danger of Loner Premed Wolves"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

SDN has become half useless to me without MD Apps. :(

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

This post made getting up at 430am for work today just so much more bearable.

That would be really annoying if MD Apps really stays down throughout this app cycle. I say we should all ban SDN until MD Apps is restored. :laugh:

Day 4: I feel the madness starting to kick in. I don't know how many more profile links I will accidentally click in vain until I go fully insane.

researchers: begin phase 2 of the experiment.

PHASE 2: Sdn "crash"

Day 4: I feel the madness starting to kick in. I don't know how many more profile links I will accidentally click in vain until I go fully insane.

It's only been FOUR DAYS? Omg.

i have a pretty good feeling that the database containing all of the user data is either completely LOST or the admin can't get to it. Duty calls- a new star will rise.

i have a pretty good feeling that the database containing all of the user data is either completely LOST or the admin can't get to it. Duty calls- a new star will rise.

B-b-b-b-b-backup!

I'm sure Xaelia was smart enough to back up mda regularly
..... I hope