MDapps is down :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IDK that 35k is all that outrageous. Think about all the background coding that no one is even seeing - the database side to it that allows users to search. Yeah, what the user sees may not be all that great and could definitely use an update and some new features, but 35k is not that outlandish.

Say you went to a company and said you wanted a site like MDapps made and they said its going to cost 35k and it would take them 4 months (which seems reasonable). They then have to pay the overhead and what not and the guys that does the work. In the end though, the guy that does the work is probably not even making 60k a year when its all said and done. If you think about it that way, it actually seems somewhat reasonable.

Trust me they overpriced xaelia. I build platforms for clients with similar database complexities and charge at most 3-5k for my services + hosting fees.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait...are you serious?

Yes. They have the right to complain. Doesn't mean they should/shouldn't

Do you mean like... constitutionally?

The entitlement... it burns...

This would be akin to receiving free food and then complaining about it because it doesn't taste good. Who cares? It was free in the first place. Xaelia is obviously doing the best he can. If you don't like what's happening, build your own website. Of course I doubt you can do that, so you will probably continue to complain about the work he voluntarily puts into this project for your own benefit.

(sent from my phone)

Yes ^.

Trust me they overpriced xaelia. I build platforms for clients with similar database complexities and charge at most 3-5k for my services + hosting fees.

This.

If you think the website is worth more than a couple weeks of work and a couple thousand dollars (rather than just doing it yourself for free), you clearly have no experience with web design.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing wrong with the server; i.e., all the data is intact. The power outage apparently caused issues with the ISP, IP address assignment, and DNS forwarding.

The server is just as sad as you are, sitting there, all alone.

Nothing wrong with the server; i.e., all the data is intact. The power outage apparently caused issues with the ISP, IP address assignment, and DNS forwarding.

So any news on when it may be back up?

For all those working on your secondaries, I really suggest working on your apps through an excel spreadsheet linked to a google docs file; it's come in handy multiple times for me already, especially without MDApps

Server is probably going to explode when it comes back up due to an overload :laugh:

Last edited:
This guy gets it.

TOO YOUNG

Magic. Prescience that your name was mentioned? Or bot? No one will ever know but you. :)

Well, there are no "owners". There's just me. To call it a "business" is sort of an exaggeration.

It gets about 2,000 unique visitors a day and serves up about 15,000 pages a day. It targets a pretty narrow audience, and those numbers have been pretty stable for the last few years. It is what it is. It's a free tool I made years ago ...and then dumped $35k into it to hire someone to redesign it (for better or worse, sadly), and the Google ads that run pretty much serve as a slow trickle of funds to justify having paid someone to redesign it.

Supposedly I'll hear more about its return tomorrow night.

*non-snarky, genuinely thankful tone with a hint of facetiousness* Much obliged for the third largest component to my procrastination pie chart. :)

IP doesn't reveal anything if the person has half a brain. The FBI learned the hard way recently (if you've been watching the news) when they raided the wrong person's home because someone ELSE cracked the WPA key to their wireless and was leeching off it. Additionally, if you use internet on a large network (like a school) theres practically no way of identifying you if you take precautions such as MAC address spoofing (easy to do btw). In terms of the email address, most email providers such as Google have limits to the number of logins per hour and even disable the account in event of a brute force login.

Most passwords are "secure" if they are larger than 7 characters and contain a mix of numbers/letters. The amount of computing power/memory required to crack a salted sha5 hash that is larger than 7 character is something 99% of hackers don't have access to. Just to be safe though, i would urge everyone that had an MDApplicants account to change their password immediately. Xaelia has not revealed how the passwords were stored in the database- there are 3 situations that could arise.

1. (WORST): the programmer stored the passwords in plain text in the database. In this scenario if you use the same password for alot of different sites you best change your passwords ASAP.

2. (Somewhat secure): The programmer used a hashing algorithm such as md5 or sha. In this situation if the passwords were "easy" dictionary words, software such as rainbow tables and decently powered computer can crack it. If your password was not "easy" and over 7 characters, then you will most likely be safe.

3. (Best): The programmer used a salted hashing algorithm (md5/sha). In this situation the passwords will be incredibly difficult to crack. Still i'd change it anyway.

ADVICE: CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD

Phreak.

*winces*

Members don't see this ad :)

haha +1

Oh come on, it was a facetious poke at a pet peeve of mine, especially as a researcher that hears it misused during presentations over and over again. But since you supported yourself with a quote, I'll humor the argument.

"Treated" is the operative word in your quote, though I can't see your source from Tapatalk on my phone. Etymologically speaking, the word was inherently plural, specifically, of datum; but popular misuse has become so common that its misuse made it into dictionaries as a colloquialism. It's like using the incorrect possessive for a proper noun (e.g., Jesus' argument is holier than thou), which is the accepted form of the Associated Press simply because the proper use (e.g., Jesus's argument) is commonly mistaken for an error by the uninformed masses.

Anyway, it's just a pet peeve. No disrespect was ever intended. The entire post was meant to be funny, hence the drawn out elaboration of tone in the asterisks set. :)

Oh come on, it was a facetious poke at a pet peeve of mine, especially as a researcher that hears it misused during presentations over and over again. But since you supported yourself with a quote, I'll humor the argument.

"Treated" is the operative word in your quote, though I can't see your source from Tapatalk on my phone. Etymologically speaking, the word was inherently plural, specifically, of datum; but popular misuse has become so common that its misuse made it into dictionaries as a colloquialism. It's like using the incorrect possessive for a proper noun (e.g., Jesus' argument is holier than thou), which is the accepted form of the Associated Press simply because the proper use (e.g., Jesus's argument) is commonly mistaken for an error by the uninformed masses.

Anyway, it's just a pet peeve. No disrespect was ever intended. The entire post was meant to be funny, hence the drawn out elaboration of tone in the asterisks set. :)
I didn't mean my response as aggressive either, I simply meant that yes, we know the root is the Latin "datum" and that that Latin "data" is plural. But that said, who says there isn't an English word "data" which can be singular like "information" is singular? :p

My source was the Apple Dictionary app by the way.

Guys I have semi-decent news. I am now getting the proxy error from MDApps way faster than before, so maybe it will soon return! :p

Or maybe I'm just getting my hopes up lol

It's ALIVE!!!!!

young_frankenstein1.jpg

I've been trying to make an mdapps profile, but I never get the activation email? Does anyone know if there's a problem with the site or if I'm doing something wrong? It hasn't worked for all three of my emails and I am out of emails to try.....?

I'm having the same issue.

Maybe send a PM to Xaelia. He is the creator of the site.

They just migrated the server so it could be related to that

Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.

It took mine about a day to send. I did the same thing and used two emails to see and both took a long time to come in. Wait until tomorrow, and if it still hasn't come in, then maybe bother X.

It took mine about a day to send. I did the same thing and used two emails to see and both took a long time to come in. Wait until tomorrow, and if it still hasn't come in, then maybe bother X.

1st email try was a week ago.
2nd email try was yesterday.

No email at either... :( Not in trash or spam or anywhere

I've been trying to make an mdapps profile, but I never get the activation email? Does anyone know if there's a problem with the site or if I'm doing something wrong? It hasn't worked for all three of my emails and I am out of emails to try.....?

I tried to make on this weekend as well and used 3 different email haha. Though something was wrong with my email addresses but I guess its happening to everyone. How can I brag about my app without MD apps?!?! :scared::smuggrin:

I've had the same issue. It's been about a week.

I thought it was just me...

I tried to make on this weekend as well and used 3 different email haha. Though something was wrong with my email addresses but I guess its happening to everyone. How can I brag about my app without MD apps?!?! :scared::smuggrin:

It's ok! Just visit the WAMC forum and act worried about your app so that they will shower you with reassuring compliments! :)

Having problems logging into my profile. I keep click login and it takes me back to the login page with no feedback like incorrect password or anything (I am still not logged in). I do that 3 or so times and then I get an error saying the page has been redirected too many times. It tells me to clear my cookies (which I do) and that solves nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

Having problems logging into my profile. I keep click login and it takes me back to the login page with no feedback like incorrect password or anything (I am still not logged in). I do that 3 or so times and then I get an error saying the page has been redirected too many times. It tells me to clear my cookies (which I do) and that solves nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

Same problem. Ugh. I need to update my profile, damnit!

Me too! I just got an II from a school that I withdrew from a couple weeks ago, decided it was sign, and told everyone I accepted. LoL I'm probably confusing the heck out of ppl with my profile ATM.

Withdrew and still got an II? How does that work Guero?! lol

Withdrew and still got an II? How does that work Guero?! lol
I'm guessing the department doesn't read the email from the address they post online. LoL There were no instructions on how to withdraw on their website or anything. I could've declined the interview, but was like, well, what the heck? It's like a mile away from where I work, I get to take a sick day rather than PTO due to an awesome boss, and wouldn't mind seeing what they have to offer.

I'm guessing the department doesn't read the email from the address they post online. LoL There were no instructions on how to withdraw on their website or anything. I could've declined the interview, but was like, well, what the heck? It's like a mile away from where I work, I get to take a sick day rather than PTO due to an awesome boss, and wouldn't mind seeing what they have to offer.

Do you know how awkward it would be if they found out about your email about withdrawing and then asked you about it at the interview? :laugh: Please report back!

Do you know how awkward it would be if they found out about your email about withdrawing and then asked you about it at the interview? :laugh: Please report back!
Already prepped for that, actually. ;-)

I won't say how until after the interview.

Bah! Feeeexxx eeeeeetttt!!!! You don't really realize how addicted you are to this whole process until you can't update your MDApps! LoL I need my fix, yo! As Al Jorgensen put it, "Just one more fix!"

Bah! Feeeexxx eeeeeetttt!!!! You don't really realize how addicted you are to this whole process until you can't update your MDApps! LoL I need my fix, yo! As Al Jorgensen put it, "Just one more fix!"

lol Guero....Shhhhhhhh! WE NOT ADDICTS!

"The first step is admitting you have a problem"

having problems logging into my profile. I keep click login and it takes me back to the login page with no feedback like incorrect password or anything (i am still not logged in). I do that 3 or so times and then i get an error saying the page has been redirected too many times. It tells me to clear my cookies (which i do) and that solves nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

+1

Same here. Sigh, I want to update it!

having problems logging into my profile. I keep click login and it takes me back to the login page with no feedback like incorrect password or anything (i am still not logged in). I do that 3 or so times and then i get an error saying the page has been redirected too many times. It tells me to clear my cookies (which i do) and that solves nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

+2

Me too! I just got an II from a school that I withdrew from a couple weeks ago, decided it was sign, and told everyone I accepted. LoL I'm probably confusing the heck out of ppl with my profile ATM.

Impressive! You tried to get out and they just wouldn't let you go...

tumblr_m5dl6eWHl51rqz8qx.gif

Hahaha! Love the gif!

I was pretty much waiting for an excuse to use it :p

Also, because MDApps continues to leave me without my fix of updating, I went through and made a pretty elaborate excel sheet yesterday. Obsessive much??