DOs with 3.4s/30+ MCATs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darkskies

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
It turns out that I might be going to UMDNJ-SOM this August and my stats were a 3.46 and a 32R MCAT from a top 40 school. I was rejected from all of the MD programs I applied to(went on 3 MD interviews out of 25+ schools applied to) and had a moderate amount of ECs(250+ hours of volunteering). I was accepted to top nearly guaranteed SMPs(postbaccalaureate programs) including Tulane ACP but I might not be going there since time is running out and I still haven't found a way to come up with the funds for the tuition(since it doesn't qualify for a federal loan program). I just feel like I'm settling by going the DO route but I know I don't want to be in more debt and lose another year. It would make me feel better if I knew that there were other DOs in my boat and not the regular '3.4, 27/28 MCAT' average DO student. I hope going DO will not limit me much in terms of residency placement.

I would like to declare that this is not meant to be an offensive post at all and I am just being completely honest about how I am feeling in my situation. I also don't mean to imply that those with higher stats than the average DO student are 'better' at being physicians. I would greatly appreciate it if people refrain from posting silly replies and it would comfort me to know that there are plenty of DOs who also just missed their chance at an MD and are now happy at their DO school/residency(finding that it hasn't limited them much). Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
It turns out that I might be going to UMDNJ-SOM this August and my stats were a 3.46 and a 32R MCAT from a top 40 school. I was rejected from all of the MD programs I applied to(went on 3 MD interviews out of 25+ schools applied to) and had a moderate amount of ECs(250+ hours of volunteering). I was accepted to top nearly guaranteed SMPs(postbaccalaureate programs) including Tulane ACP but I might not be going there since time is running out and I still haven't found a way to come up with the funds for the tuition(since it doesn't qualify for a federal loan program). I just feel like I'm settling by going the DO route but I know I don't want to be in more debt and lose another year. It would make me feel better if I knew that there were other DOs in my boat and not the regular '3.4, 27/28 MCAT' average DO student. I hope going DO will not limit me much in terms of residency placement.

I would like to declare that this is not meant to be an offensive post at all and I am just being completely honest about how I am feeling in my situation. I also don't mean to imply that those with higher stats than the average DO student are 'better' at being physicians. I would greatly appreciate it if people refrain from posting silly replies and it would comfort me to know that there are plenty of DOs who also just missed their chance at an MD and are now happy at their DO school/residency(finding that it hasn't limited them much). Thanks a lot!
How will going DO limit you? You get double the shot as a DO with both AOA and ACGME residency options!!!:thumbup:

If you're not fully satisfied with going DO, don't and attend an SMP. Having regrets now can only lead to even more deeper feelings of resent in the future imo.

Hi,

So you come to the pre-DO thread, belittle those with a 3.4 and 27/28 (most people here) and then say you don't mean to be offensive?

Lol.

Many people apply to DO as a backup. Everyone that completes DO school becomes a doctor. Is that what you wanted to hear?

Members don't see this ad :)
you got into med school? boo hoo. People would kill to be in you're shoes so take it and run. There are plenty of successful DOs at top residencies. Don't waste a year of you're life.

... and for the record there are people with 3.7+ gpas and 32 mcats that go to DO schools

Yeah you are probably not going to get much support from the forum members. Bottom line is you applied to a DO school and was accepted. You were not accepted at any MD schools. You don't have the money to do an SMP. So the question is: Do you want to be a physician or not? One decision (taking the acceptance) will virtually guarantee that. Any other choice is risky. Ball's in your court.

Btw: I'm a future DO student with a 3.5/31. But honestly stats don't mean squat when med school starts. Everyone begins on the same page.

Trust your gut. The answer you find there holds more weight than anything you'll read here. I can already see the answer in your words...

If going DO doesn't sit well with you, find a way to do the SMP. It's a risk but sometimes you have to let em fly.

yeah you are probably not going to get much support from the forum members. Bottom line is you applied to a do school and was accepted. You were not accepted at any md schools. You don't have the money to do an smp. So the question is: Do you want to be a physician or not? One decision (taking the acceptance) will virtually guarantee that. Any other choice is risky. Ball's in your court.

Btw: I'm a future do student with a 3.5/31. but honestly stats don't mean squat when med school starts. Everyone begins on the same page.

+1

Once you have matched into residency, no one even cares about your board scores much less what you got on the MCAT. At that point the MCAT means as much to a DO/MD as what the SAT means to you now.

Medicine, a field where you can score in the 80-90th percentile on the mcat, have a good gpa and still not even get in.

Hi,

I had a 3.4 and a 32 mcat, as well as a degree from a very well known, top ranked school. Didn't get a single MD interview. Couldn't care less right now, because guess what? In 2 years it's not going to matter.

Everyone bitches about their med school, because let's face it. The first couple of years SUCK. That being said, I live in a decent area where there's no shortage of things to do, I've got like minded friends I study/hang out with, I can do research on campus or at any number of the nearby universities, and I even get to go to a conference every once in a while. The way I see it, my experience seems pretty indistinguishable from those at other medical schools, MD or DO. Don't beat yourself up over it. Once you're studying for that first round of exams it's going to seem silly.

Also the curriculum is identical. It's geared more towards the comlex than usmle obviously, but don't buy into the hooplah that OMM and the osteopathic philosophy and "healing touch" are a major factor in how the education is approached. You sit in lecture, take shelf exams, and study for boards. Very little time is spent on OMM, outside of the 2-4 hours you sit in lab ever week. Some schools do spend more time on it than others, but typically its all about your physio, pharm, anatomy, etc.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go the DO route. The difference in those 2 letters isn't worth being another 45k in debt, or whatever they're asking for SMPs these days. It's not just that 45k, either. It's also a year you could have been making a physician's salary instead of being a resident. Don't let SDN get you down with its constant bickering over the semantics of the degree. Ultimately your colleagues and patients are only going to care that you're Dr. Darkskies.

Last edited:
FWIW, I am a DO student and, although my MCAT is in line with DO averages, my GPA was 3.7. I can also tell you that at least one of my classmates scored 34 on the MCAT.

OMM is not that bad. It is actually kind of cool to know some techniques that make people feel better. Even if you don't care about that aspect of it, you really learn a lot about the musculoskeletal system and develop wicked palpation skills.

I doubt that being a DO will limit me very much in my career. But then again, I don't plan on going into neurosurgery or rad onc.

MCAT scores won't matter much once you're in med school. Do well in med school, score well on COMLEX/USMLE and you'll match in your preferred residency program. There are DO's doing crazy MD programs. So to answer your question, going DO doesn't limit your options if you're serious about what you want and are willing to work for it.

No, you are literally the only person with such extraordinarily high stats to be going to a DO school.

Why did you apply to DO schools in the first place? Although your sense of entitlement is annoying and I don't know why you are doubting your current position, you shouldn't do something you aren't completely comfortable with. Give up your spot and give someone on the waitlist who actually wants to go to the school a chance. Seriously. Don't set yourself up for regret.

Also, get over yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, you are literally the only person with such extraordinarily high stats to be going to a DO school.

Why did you apply to DO schools in the first place? Although your sense of entitlement is annoying and I don't know why you are doubting your current position, you shouldn't do something you aren't completely comfortable with. Give up your spot and give someone on the waitlist who actually wants to go to the school a chance. Seriously. Don't set yourself up for regret.

+1.

Also, with how you built yourself up /the not horrible stats... The fact that you GOT interviews...

Reality check, you suck at interviewing *ding ding ding* , so maybe if you're not happy doing DO and re apply MD, you should address your shortcomings in this area

I say this not in the nicest way possible, but with the best of intentions :)

FWIW, I am a DO student and, although my MCAT is in line with DO averages, my GPA was 3.7. I can also tell you that at least one of my classmates scored 34 on the MCAT.

OMM is not that bad. It is actually kind of cool to know some techniques that make people feel better. Even if you don't care about that aspect of it, you really learn a lot about the musculoskeletal system and develop wicked palpation skills.

I doubt that being a DO will limit me very much in my career. But then again, I don't plan on going into neurosurgery or rad onc.

+1 about the extra focus on musculoskeletal.

MCAT scores won't matter at all once you're accepted. Do well in med school, score well on COMLEX/USMLE and you'll match in your preferred residency program. There are DO's doing crazy MD programs. So to answer your question, going DO doesn't limit your options if you're serious about what you want and are willing to work for it.

Fixed for you.

i say defer the acceptance and give the spot to someone who really want's to be a DO

Go Caribbean, FTW.

In other news, Kim Jong Un has been promoted to marshal, the military's highest rank.

22336877.jpg

But honestly stats don't mean squat when med school starts. Everyone begins on the same page.

This. People on this forum seriously overplay the correlation between undergraduate GPA and med school performance. Does such a correlation exist? Of course. But it doesn't take into account to account things like upward trends in undergraduate performance, changes in study habits, changes in social environments that impact performance, et cetera.

My point? You either get accepted or you don't. Any analysis beyond that point is practically useless.

Hi,

Don't go DO if you have any reservations about it at all...this is coming from an incoming SOM student. I would prefer to have happy students around me (who are keen on telling me their success stories and how delighted they were when they got the SOM acceptance) instead of nagging students (who keep repeating that they "settled" for SOM...and that sometimes they lay awake at night thinking how things would've been if they had improved their application and reapplied into an MD program).

Don't go DO if you have reservations about it...this is coming from an incoming SOM student. As a fellow student, I would prefer to have happy students around me (who are keen on telling me their success stories and how delighted they were when they got the SOM acceptance) instead of nagging students (who keep repeating that they "settled" for SOM...and that sometimes they lay awake at night thinking how things would've been if they had improved their application and reapplied into an MD program).

Dude roughly half of your class likely settled, get used to it and be prepared.

Dude, plenty of people have 3.5+ GPA's and 30+ MCAT's and still go the DO route. I have a 3.4 GPA and a 31S MCAT, attended an HYPS school, and would be very happy to attend a DO school. I see it as a privilege to be a doctor; it doesn't matter if I'm an MD or a DO. Keep everything in perspective. You'll still be a doctor one day if you go to a DO school.

Hi,

I have a 32 (12-10-10) too. Does that make you feel better?

I have a 32 and a sightly lower GPA than yours. I am personally only applying to DO schools. Posting here on SDN isn't going to do any good as this is something you need to do your own research on and figure out if you will be OK with becoming a DO. If you even have the slightest doubt, then you should consider reapplying. One more years is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Hi,

I never applied to MD schools, and my stats prior to entering DO school in 2010 were 3.8/28. I understand that you have an issue with going DO because its unsettling, but once you start DO school you probably won't feel that way because the workload and coursework difficulty is exactly the same. You have the option to sit the USMLE in addition to the required COMLEX, so if you decide to take the USMLE, you can compete on a greater scope and get noticed by more MD residencies if you'd like.

Going to DO school won't limit your chances of residency in your chosen field. A lack of hard work and dedication during your medical training (MD or DO) is what will more likely prevent you from attaining a residency of your choice.

i got a 31, first try. in med school nobody cares about your ug stats.

Believe it or not. SOM is a really good school and have plenty of students with 3.5/30 mcat combo..
In general I think the stat is around 3.4/28(+/-1)

I know you guys mean well and what not, but you have to admit that when you do everything right, have great stats and numbers, it is a little heart-breaking to be told you're not good enough and forced to go to your second choice.

Obviously the OP should really think about this and realize that he'll be losing out on an entire year and that's not worth it at all. But eh, I think the OP needs a moment to lick his wounds and stitch together his pride and ego from the rejection.

Believe it or not. SOM is a really good school and have plenty of students with 3.5/30 mcat combo..
In general I think the stat is around 3.4/28(+/-1)

Average top tier DO school probably have an average score of around 3.5/27-28, with probably a standard deviation of at least 2 points ( Likely higher). So around 15-20% of your class is going to be populated with people with mcat scores that exceed 30s. Overall, the average scores will be going only up from now on thanks to the intense and now almost bordering asinine competition on the MD side.

A very wise mentor of mine said this:

" The most unhappy people out there are those that wanted an MD, but earned a DO. They are the doctors with the inferiority complex. If you want an MD, get the MD. If you understand what makes a good DO, then you should put everything you have into getting a DO." (A. Turner, DO)

A DO degree will allow you to practice medicine. But will you feel inferior to your MD counterparts? If you say YES to this question, then don't do DO. Give that seat to someone who is not ashamed of the degree that they are earning.

Nobody can make this decision for you. You need to do some soul searching and decide if earning a DO is a step down from your expectations or not. If it is (sounds like it from your first post) then don't do it or you will feel miserable about it for the rest of your career. If you are proud to be a DO, then go for it.

dsoz

" The most unhappy people out there are those that wanted an MD, but earned a DO. They are the doctors with the inferiority complex. If you want an MD, get the MD. If you understand what makes a good DO, then you should put everything you have into getting a DO." (A. Turner, DO)

dsoz

Pretty words ( Normal) is not-very effective against my heart ( Rock).

But anyway, honestly I don't think this assumption is really correct, given that most of your class will be people who couldn't get into a MD school. But regardless, even for me, who ideally wants to get into an MD school, the only inferiority complex I would hold is if I were screwed out of getting into my residency of choice in at least a mid-level program, just because I was a DO. Otherwise I, and likely most people here would be fine getting a DO instead of an MD.

Hi,

There is no way you are going to get an unbiased opinion on SDN.

If you had posted this in the pre-allo section you would have gotten, "rara allopathic schools. You're a fool to even consider DO school"

You posted this in the pre-osteo section so you are getting, "Rara DO school. You are a fool to give up a spot"

You take a risk by opting to do an SMP. A poor performance in an SMP could ruin your chances of ever getting into medical school. Also, you are probably going to burn bridges with UMDNJSOM so forget about getting in there again.

By going DO school you do limit your chances for residency. There is no way to deny this. You would get a better residency if you had the same stats coming from an MD school. However, you obviously will get a better reisdency coming from UMDNJ than coming from no med school (you know, if you suck in the SMP).

So your decision rests on how confident you are that you would get into MD school, if you want to pay the money and give up the time for an SMP and how much you care about your slighly limited options coming from a DO school.

Average top tier DO school probably have an average score of around 3.5/27-28, with probably a standard deviation of at least 2 points ( Likely higher).

One quick caveat, AACOMAS GPA isn't the same as AMCAS GPA. An AMCAS GPA of 3.6 is likely to be more impressive than an AACOMAS GPA of 3.6 because of retakes.

A DO degree will allow you to practice medicine. But will you feel inferior to your MD counterparts? If you say YES to this question, then don't do DO. Give that seat to someone who is not ashamed of the degree that they are earning.

Nobody can make this decision for you. You need to do some soul searching and decide if earning a DO is a step down from your expectations or not. If it is (sounds like it from your first post) then don't do it or you will feel miserable about it for the rest of your career. If you are proud to be a DO, then go for it.

dsoz

This is too idealistic for me. Many practicing DOs would have preferred the MD route but are still perfectly happy as DOs.

One quick caveat, AACOMAS GPA isn't the same as AMCAS GPA. An AMCAS GPA of 3.6 is likely to be more impressive than an AACOMAS GPA of 3.6 because of retakes.

It's unknown exactly how many people use this service, though through some sampling we can guess that it is not very significant, i.e likely >=.1 point adjustment on the AMCAS scale.

I know you guys mean well and what not, but you have to admit that when you do everything right, have great stats and numbers, it is a little heart-breaking to be told you're not good enough and forced to go to your second choice.

Obviously the OP should really think about this and realize that he'll be losing out on an entire year and that's not worth it at all. But eh, I think the OP needs a moment to lick his wounds and stitch together his pride and ego from the rejection.

I understand what you are trying to say, but it is foolish to come on to Pre-Osteo SDN and try to stitch together that ego of his/hers.

Hi,

#firstworldproblems

I actually don't see much anti-DO sentiment on the pre-allo forums these days. With the occasional exception, seems like the kids are chilling out a little. As for this whole stats thing as it pertains to DO schools, the economy is sputtering along and not exactly instilling confidence in anybody. Med school applications have been climbing very steadily. New schools are opening, and existing schools are increasing enrollment. I don't know if this expansion is on track to absorb all the new applicants each year. Either way, many more students are discovering the DO option. I was not aware of it during my first round of applications. Only applied DO on my second round. 3.5 CGPA, 3.7 science.. 31Q, nice and balanced, strong ECs.. but nothing spectacular when you take into account who I was competing against when applying.. I got in and am extremely greatful, because let me tell you, I encountered no open doors to any of the osteo schools i applied to with those numbers. Expect more more of this, I think, in the near future. DO seems to be very rapidly expanding and as more people become aware of it and apply, expect matriculated stats to start edging higher. Don't be silly.. You are in medical school.. You are a medical student.. Pre-med is over for you.. Are you seriously considering jumping back into that shark tank?

This. Thanks for understanding. What do you guys think?

Mm.. at this point I feel go ahead and reapply and give the seat to somebody who is dreaming and holding out hope of coming off that wait list.

A 3.4 isn't great...? OP's stats are below average for MD matriculants. While they are good enough to get into MD, I'm not surprised at the outcome. How can you be heart-broken that your below average stats weren't good enough? You know going in that you are below average.

I think unless I score a 33 I'm applying ED to my state school and soley to DO schools lol.

But on a serious note, I think you should take the acceptance to UMDNJ/ RUSOM. You got into a good DO school, one that truly is in all honesty a MD school in disguise. If you find out later in medicial school that you truly want a super competitive specialty, you can easily just rotate at the AOA program that offers it, impress the directors and get into it. The reality is that the DO route provides certain benefits to compensate for the lack of ACGME spots. I.E the slightly easier to get into AOA spots.
Either way, I would take the DO route and avoid the SMP, potential failure, and a 50k cash trap and another application season.

A 3.4 isn't great...? OP's stats are below average for MD matriculants. While they are good enough to get into MD, I'm not surprised at the outcome. How can you be heart-broken that your below average stats weren't good enough? You know going in that you are below average.

His mcat is in the top 80%, that's a great score.

His mcat is in the top 80%, that's a great score.

Sure but it's also right around the median for matriculants. I have a 33 and I really don't care that it's in the 88%-91% of test takers. All that matters is it is slightly above average for MD matriculants. Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I don't buy into a 3.4/32 equating to "doing everything right."

Sure but it's also right around the median for matriculants. I have a 33 and I really don't care that it's in the 88%-91% of test takers. All that matters is it is slightly above average for MD matriculants. Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I don't buy into a 3.4/32 equating to "doing everything right."

This is true, but like I've said before. Medicine is the only field where you can be way above the average, but still not good enough to get in.