**** The Official UNC Class of 2017 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

In-State or Out-of-State

• Total voters

The10thDentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I figured I start a thread for UNC. I'm an out-of-state(oos) applicant from Florida. Anyone have any info about OOS acceptance at UNC?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been emailing Mrs. Oakes at UNC, and she said that currently they only accept 81 students, and out of those 81 they accept about 8-16 out of state, so it is very competitive for out of state applicants who apply. She seemed to be warning me off, but I applied anyway. I'm OOS as well. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in NC. My advisor told me that UNC does all of their in-state interviews first but Im not sure if she is correct on that. I did see one person on SDN say that they were invited for September and are an oos applicant.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using SDN Mobile

I'm starting to rethink my application to UNC bc I'm not going to receive a BS by next fall. I'll prob just apply to Memphis for their 3-in-1 program. Every school in the SE that I've called aren't very favorable to students w/o degrees. :/ Is it unheard of to get into UNC w/o a degree? Anyway, if I don't get into Memphis, I'll apply to UNC next yr! Haha good luck to everyone this cycle!

I'm starting to rethink my application to UNC bc I'm not going to receive a BS by next fall. I'll prob just apply to Memphis for their 3-in-1 program. Every school in the SE that I've called aren't very favorable to students w/o degrees. :/ Is it unheard of to get into UNC w/o a degree? Anyway, if I don't get into Memphis, I'll apply to UNC next yr! Haha good luck to everyone this cycle!

From what I hear from administration its not unheard of, but hard. I dont think it's the degree they'll get caught up on as much as the age. Apparently in UNC's eyes (heard this from an upperclassman), they have a slight preference for those not DIRECTLY out of undergrad (though in my class it seems like 60% are straight from undergrad). The reasoning is maturity. It takes a lot to buckle down and put in the hours necessary, and apparently they've had more success with slightly more seasoned folks in the past. Again, take all this with a grain of salt as it is all coming from one convo I had with an upperclassman and a touch of my own experience--but I do think that there is some merit to it. Long story short: unless you have a 3.9+ and 23+, I wouldn't think there'd be a huge chance of it happening.

Anyone heard from UNC lately? Submitted my secondary this week and hoping there are some pre-dec slots left! Doesn't look like they've been very active.

they have 4 total interviews. 3 pre dec and 1 in Jan.

they usually send out invites ~3 weeks prior to the interview. They've already sent out sept invites. Hold tight til maybe mid sept to hear about october invites. there is a timeline on their website that lists the current interview dates.

they have 4 total interviews. 3 pre dec and 1 in Jan.

they usually send out invites ~3 weeks prior to the interview. They've already sent out sept invites. Hold tight til maybe mid sept to hear about october invites. there is a timeline on their website that lists the current interview dates.

Thanks!!

my status is still Received/Under Review...since 08/07/12

I just got an interview invite. I am in state, my application was completed/under review since 8/21 or so.

Got an interview invitation today. OMG, super excited. Out of united states applicant

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an invitation around 2:30. I am in-state. I think I was 3rd or 4th batch, but I never checked.

Got my invite today around 2:30 for october 13th!!!!!!! I am super excited because UNC is my first choice. I am out of state too.

BTW: I called immediately and confirmed my interview. The lady told me they will be sending out an email with more instructions by Friday.

for those who got an interview from out of state, what were your stats?

Been creepin on here for too long! lol Finally made an account.
Got my interview this week for Oct 13.
Can't wait to see what UNC is all about! I'll be attending the social too.

My stats 23AA, 25TS, 21PAT

Been creepin on here for too long! lol Finally made an account.
Got my interview this week for Oct 13.
Can't wait to see what UNC is all about! I'll be attending the social too.

My stats 23AA, 25TS, 21PAT

Wow. Amazing DAT scores.

Are you OOS? Just curious.

How many in staters does UNC interview?

Hmm, not sure about #'s of interviews. I was always of the belief that the first and second interview dates were more heavily laden with OOS, and in-staters made up most of the latter dates, but that may be totally wrong. Typically of the 81 spots, 65 or so are filled with in state.

61% of IS applicants are interviewed, 9% of OOS applicants are interviewed....Says the spreadsheet made from the ADEA guide anyway.

Anyone have flowchart for UNC interview? Is there any assay question?I think there is three interviewees, right?

I just finished my interview at Loma Linda, that interview was pretty laid back and conversational.

61% of IS applicants are interviewed, 9% of OOS applicants are interviewed....Says the spreadsheet made from the ADEA guide anyway.

How many instaters out of those interviewed r accepted?

I'm going to try to remember this correctly, but my memory is hazy... :/

For instaters given an interview, the odds of acceptance are about 2.2 applicants to 1 acceptance
For OOS given an interview, the odds of acceptance are about 3.5 applicants to 1 acceptance

Definitely, the hardest part is getting the interview for both instate and OOS. If you receive the interview, it basically becomes a 25-33% acceptance rate. These numbers are simply my memory from the interview...so they may be wrong!

So if they interview ~50% of the applicants in the state and (independent of interview) accept ~25% of the applicants in state....Then 50% of interviewees get an acceptance.

I think that makes sense

So if they interview ~50% of the applicants in the state and (independent of interview) accept ~25% of the applicants in state....Then 50% of interviewees get an acceptance.

I think that makes sense

What about out state?

Not sure of specifics, but if you get an interview, one of the presentations will be a powerpoint that goes into excruciating detail about these figures. Kind of interesting if you're a stat's person, but a bit overkill if you're not.

All I can remember is that for our class they told us 1 in 17 that applied (overall) was accepted. That seems to correlate with what my version of the adea guide says.

Not sure of specifics, but if you get an interview, one of the presentations will be a powerpoint that goes into excruciating detail about these figures. Kind of interesting if you're a stat's person, but a bit overkill if you're not.

All I can remember is that for our class they told us 1 in 17 that applied (overall) was accepted. That seems to correlate with what my version of the adea guide says.

Yeah that sounds right.

That number scared me at first before I realized that the vast majority of those were OOSers all going for those 15 or however many spots.

What about out state?

Spreadsheet said:

OOS % interviewed: 9%

OOS % accepted: 3%

So I guess that would meat 1 in 3?

For the class of 2016
67 students are in state and 14 are out of state
There were 315 in state applicants and 1010 out of state applicants (Completed supplemental)

Source: Powerpoint from UNC's assistant dean of admissions

I'll be there 0ct 13th! Anyone know how many people they typically interview. Seems like it would have to be a lot since they don't have many interview dates...

How many OOS interviews do you all think are left? This school is my top pick. I'm anxiously awaiting a possible invite from them.

i'm not sure...

It says:

"in state % interviewed" = 61%

then it says:

"in state % accepted" = 24%

so if they interview ~50% of the applicants in the state and (independent of interview) accept ~25% of the applicants in state....then 50% of interviewees get an acceptance.

I think that makes sense

24/61 = 0.39 = 39%,
if in-state and interviewed

I think 24% of total applicants are accepted, not interviewees.

If the data he/she gave me is correct, then my calculation for the acceptance rate of in-state interviewees is also correct. However if 24% of all applicants are accepted, dental school would be a lot less competitive than people make it out to be. I don't know UNC's statistics off the top of my head but at VCU, there's ~2300 applicants for 90 seats. I think if what you say is true then VCU supposedly sends out >500 acceptances (big fallacy is that I'm using your hypothetical UNC's stats for VCU). This is most likely not true. I like my answer better.

Last edited:
If the data he/she gave me is correct, then my calculation for the acceptance rate of in-state interviewees is also correct. However if 24% of all applicants are accepted, dental school would be a lot less competitive than people make it out to be. I don't know UNC's statistics off the top of my head but at VCU, there's ~2300 applicants for 90 seats. I think if what you say is true then VCU supposedly sends out >500 acceptances (big fallacy is that I'm using your hypothetical UNC's stats for VCU). This is most likely not true. I like my answer better.

If only 24% of in state applicants who are interviewed actually enroll, that means .24 * .61 = .146 = 15% of in state applicants enroll. I guess thats possible, but too darn scary for me to accept. :oops:

If only 24% of in state applicants who are interviewed actually enroll, that means .24 * .61 = .146 = 15% of in state applicants enroll. I guess thats possible, but too darn scary for me to accept. :oops:

Say there are 1000 instate applicants. Of those 1000 instate applicants 61% (610 applicants) are interviewed. Of those 1000 instate applicants 24% (240) are given acceptances. The question is if you are an instate applicant and were offered an interview, what is your likelihood of getting an acceptance on December? 240/610 = 39%. Not 15%.

Ohhhh I gotcha. Math is not my forte. I was totally shocked when I got a 20 in QR. Lol :)

Ok, this is all straight from said spreadsheet/their website.

292 in state applicants.
866 out of state applicants

81 seats
80% in state/20% out of state.
65 seats for in state, 16 seats for out of state.

My calculations:

For in state:

61% interviewed = 178
24% accepted = 70

For out of state:

9% interviewed = 78
3% accepted = 26

The numbers are slightly messed up, there may be some hidden factors that change it (lower down the # accepted)...Like, maybe they counted everyone who sent AADSAS, but some didn't do supplemental stuff or something.

Other note, the % accepted is not % accepted who got an interview, but rather just the % of all in state applicants. You can see this by the OOS calculation...9% of OOSers is 78, 3% of that would be 2 people.

Does anyone know when invites to interview in November go out?

Just curious about the stats of any OOS applicants who got interviews. Mind sharing?

I'm applying next cycle and UNC is my top choice.