Tablet or Laptop?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msuopt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting optometry school next year and am looking into a new computer. The one I have now is pretty beat up and has no battery left, so I wouldn't want to lug it around all day.

Would you recommend getting a new laptop or a tablet? I am strongly considering a tablet because it is so light-weight, has great battery life, I can draw on powerpoint slides with the touch screen, I can add a keyboard to make typing easier, and it is more affordable. Then I would keep my old laptop at home.

Or I could get a new laptop.

What do you guys recommend, and if you think tablet, which kind?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am starting optometry school next year and am looking into a new computer. The one I have now is pretty beat up and has no battery left, so I wouldn't want to lug it around all day.

Would you recommend getting a new laptop or a tablet? I am strongly considering a tablet because it is so light-weight, has great battery life, I can draw on powerpoint slides with the touch screen, I can add a keyboard to make typing easier, and it is more affordable. Then I would keep my old laptop at home.

Thanks!
I am interested in knowing this also.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not go into optometry school with only a tablet. If you're planning on having a desktop, then maybe you can get the tablet for lecture and note-taking. But could you imagine having only a tablet to do all of your work? You wouldn't even be able to look at multiple pages at once (not to mention you'll be looking thru a 10in screen, if it's even that).

Right, I am thinking bring a tablet to class for note-taking, kinda like a super-notebook/powerpoint slides, then keep my laptop at home. It seems like a tablet would be the more convenient option for class. I can see the negatives of it too like you said.

I'm currently in optometry school. have a primary laptop, but I am actually buying the new Samsung Google Chromebook over break specifically for lectures and carrying around school. It's only $250, has a nice long battery life (like 8 hours) and is super light. I would not recommend anything like it as the only source of a computer though. It is really just for an ease of access to the internet, documents on the go through google-docs and calendar stuff. If you can have both, definitely go for it, but if you can only have one or the other I recommend a full-functioning computer.

any recommendations on what kind of laptop? any kind that you think would be better than others? I was planning on getting a macbook.

If you can afford a macbook then that'd be perfect... they generally get a bit longer battery life than others if you wanted to take it around campus with you. Really anything you can get microsoft office on for word and powerpoint should be good to go. The only real downside I can see with a macbook is if you are not a current techy-mac-user, you could run into self-troubleshooting issues with quick and easy fixes for problems that may come up unless you find someone else, or the school's IT department who knows a decent amount about them. Generally shouldnt be an issue, just something to consider.

If you can afford a macbook then that'd be perfect... they generally get a bit longer battery life than others if you wanted to take it around campus with you. Really anything you can get microsoft office on for word and powerpoint should be good to go. The only real downside I can see with a macbook is if you are not a current techy-mac-user, you could run into self-troubleshooting issues with quick and easy fixes for problems that may come up unless you find someone else, or the school's IT department who knows a decent amount about them. Generally shouldnt be an issue, just something to consider.

I have had the same macbook for the last five years (PC before that), and it has never really given me issues that I haven't been able to figure out on my own or with the help of the internet. Also apple support is really good and accessible. I think macbook software is more user-friendly than microsoft, and most people I know who have apple products seem to think so as well. Only people who are really tech-saavy seem to think apple products are limited in their capabilities.

If you're able to afford it, you could get the macbook air, if weight is your primary concern... The screen size is the same as a regular macbook and much lighter. It also has all the things a regular tablet wouldn't.

I use a desktop computer at home, and I take notes on paper, using a pen, in class. Given the availability of computers on campus, I don't feel the need to invest in a laptop or a tablet computer.

I think it will partially depend on what school you go to. Some are more reliant than others on computers in clinic versus just taking notes. They might also require you to have specific programs that run on your computer/tablet so knowing what you will need is going to be important..

Try to talk to some upperclassmen at the opt school you are going to and get their feedback.

I have a macbook pro which I usually keep at home or when I go to the library and an ipad which I take to class and take notes on/record lectures with (app: Notability). The app on my ipad syncs with my dropbox account and with google drive so I can always pull them up on my laptop. But I love having everything on my ipad - I also have a bluetooth keyboard in case I have to type notes in class :)

I'd def recommend a macbook - I had an HP and it always died and overheated...I haven't had any problems with my mac. I love it!

MacBook Pro, you will love it. iPad app: Slideshark for ppt slides will full animations and notes is wonderful, of course DropBox, Blackboard if your school utilizes it. Perfect for studying at coffee shops alone and you need to use the restroom. Together, it is awesome. A lot of my classmates got cheaper PCs (less than $1000) and have had a lot of problems. The last thing you want to worry about during school is how to get your laptop repaired.

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone else suggest the apps that they've found most useful for school? i'll be getting an ipad mini soon and it'll be my first tablet. would like to load it up with helpful apps for when i start school this fall. thanks! :)

Personally I'd get a w8 laptop, some of them aren't all that pricey. around 500, and when thinking back I got my laptop for 1200 3 years ago, and these newer ones specs are almost as good if not as good. I mean obviously if you can afford a macbook then I'd grab that. I think it would be worth it for you to pay the extra 100 bucks to get a w8 tablet compared to like an ipad. laptops are simply much more powerful and useful devices for notetaking in my opinion.

Would you recommend getting a new laptop or a tablet pc? I am strongly considering a tablet because it is so light-weight, has great battery life, I can draw on powerpoint slides with the touch screen, I can add a keyboard to make typing easier, and it is more affordable. Then I would keep my old laptop at home.

Thanks!
Surely laptop. As a student laptop is versatile for me and helps me lot in college projects

Last edited:
Why not both?

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/tablet/thinkpad/thinkpad-helix/

A tech savvy guy showed me this. He will get one in May to look at. You can't beat the 10 hour battery life when it is docked in tablet mode. I will be in an old lecture hall with no available outlets. Long battery life will be important for me.

I will decide in June whether I will get one of there oe a MacBook to go with my iPad.

dsoz

You'll most likely end up with both at some point. I never bring my laptop to class and it weighs 4 lbs. basically everyone at nova has iPads anyway. Ps, if you are in the incoming class, you're required to have one anyway.

You'll most likely end up with both at some point. I never bring my laptop to class and it weighs 4 lbs. basically everyone at nova has iPads anyway. Ps, if you are in the incoming class, you're required to have one anyway.

Then is it only the medical students at Nova that are "getting a free iPad" when they matriculate? I know it comes from the tuition. But they are making the other students buy one?

Just curious.

dsoz

I'm starting SUNY this coming year and was wondering the same thing. Any SUNY students have advice about which one to get? Any brand in particular?

Then is it only the medical students at Nova that are "getting a free iPad" when they matriculate? I know it comes from the tuition. But they are making the other students buy one?

Just curious.

dsoz

Not sure exactly how it's happening but I know the dean is requiring at least the base model. Most of us have at least the upgraded memory. Mine was an anniversary gift 2 yrs ago so I have a maxed out iPad 2 which still works AWESOME. It is worth it and you will use it all the time but I would budget for it outside of tuition to be safe. A stylus case and keyboard are a lot of things people have too. Not necessary but useful.

hey blondiechick is your laptop also a mac?

I ask b/c I am not a mac user (never used it and know nothing about the programs) but i hear everyone saying to use an ipad and they use a windows laptop. I don't see why some would use a windows laptop and an ipad. Doesn't the going back and forth between different programs become annoying and a waste of time?

I figured if i get an ipad i would get a mac laptop. And if i get a windows laptop to get a windows tablet. I figure that would just make life easier.

Others feel free time chime in.:)

Yes to both. I have a MacBook Pro from 2009 that's still going. It got a tad slow so I upgraded the ram myself and the apple guy said I should be able to get 2-3 more years out of it. I went through 2 PCs in college in less than 3 years that both died on me, and this Mac is almost 4 years old and works awesome. iPads work equally well with pcs, but I love apple and have all apple products. I think that they are just easier to use and the software is easier and prettier in general. 32 gb iPad is fine. I have 64 but I'm not even close to that. I have my entire music library on mine (but don't even use it a lot since I love pandora). Video sucks up the most memory, so unless you have a crap ton of video, you'll be ok with 32. And get a MacBook :)