2013 Match Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocketbooster

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've gotten requests via PM to set up an actual thread with a template like Dr. Doan's in the past with anonymous listing of everyone's stats for the 2013 Match. I understand he is much more busy than me so it might be easier if a student takes over. I'm fine doing it for now and will gladly step down and defer to him if he wants. The PMs I've received did say they are willing to PM me their stats in order for me to post them anonymously.

2013 applicants, both matched and unmatched, please fill out the template below and PM me and I'll get the ball rolling. Thank you.

--Board Scores:
--AOA and class rank: if known
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc)
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications)
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine)
--# and where you did away rotations:
--# of programs you applied to:
--Where invited for interviews:
--Where matched:
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc)

Members don't see this ad.

--Board Scores: Step 1= 273
--AOA and class rank: junior AOA
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): solid midwest program with top mid-tier ophtho program
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications) PhD in biochemistry, not directly related to ophtho (2 first author pubs), 2 first author public health pubs ophtho-related submitted prior to application submission, one book chapter; NEI fellowship in vision research, 2 ARVO posters, a multitude of other posters from PhD, 3 oral presentations at public health conferences
--Honors in clerkships: all
--# and where you did away rotations: none
--# of programs you applied to: 30
--Where invited for interviews: Wisconsin, DMEI, Iowa, Wilmer, Doheny, UCSF, MEEI, Michigan, Casey, Duke, UIC, WashU, Wills Eye are the ones I went on. Declined invites from Baylor, UTSW, UCI, UC-Davis, Vandy, Indiana, Case Western, Univ of Colorado, and Mayo
--Where matched: #2
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) MD/PhD, great letters from 3 very well-known ophthalmologists and a PhD advisor letter, well-rounded application with research in many areas-basic science, clinical research, and public health

S**t, I am glad I didn't have to compete with you my application cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
And you didn't get your #1?? Bascom Palmer didn't give you an interview?! What do these look for??!

This illustrates an excellent point. At some programs PhD is a negative. UC Davis for example is an excellent clinical program with fantastically broad surgical experience. But interviews are not just given based on additional degrees and board scores.

--Board Scores: 260
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA, no class rank
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Top 10
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications): one ophtho pub, ARVO presentation, another pub in progress
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine): H in all except HP in IM
--# and where you did away rotations: None
--# of programs you applied to: 40
--Where invited for interviews: ~15-20 invites. MEEI, Iowa, Casey, Baylor, UW, Michigan, NYU, UCLA, Cleveland, UC Davis, UNC, others I didn’t go to
--Where matched: #1
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) Go with the flow and hope for the best. Good luck to all of you. Ophthalmology is an amazing specialty and this forum has been very helpful to me. Special thanks to Visionary, Andrew Doan, and that resident from Doheny who contribute so much to this forum.

--Board Scores: Step 1= 231
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA. No class rank at my school.
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Top 25 (top 10 primary care) midwest school with mid-tier ophtho department.
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications) 1 first author review paper in major neurology journal (ophtho topic), 3 first author ophtho case reports, two other pubs not as first author in family med and infectious disease journals.
--Honors in clerkships: Medicine, EM, Peds, Family Med, Ophtho (Home), Ophtho (Away), Ophtho Research Elective. High Pass in all other clerkships.
--# and where you did away rotations: 1, mid-tier program in Detroit
--# of programs you applied to: 96 (too many, was worried about sub par Step1)
--Where invited for interviews: U Iowa, MEEI, Michigan, U Arizona, U Minnesota, U Wisconsin, Stroger/Cook County, U Chicago, Kresge/Wayne State, William Beaumont, Henry Ford, UMKC, U Virginia. Declined invites from Loyola, Tulane, U Maryland, SLU, SUNY-Stony Brook, Albany, Nassau, U Rochester, Case Western, Geisinger, Drexel, Temple, MuSC, U Tennessee, UT Galveston.
--Where matched: #3
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) No big wig letters but two of the letters were extremely strong in their tone and language. I worried about my sub-par Step1 but I had multiple advisors tell me that my interesting and "quirky" extracurriculars would stand out and would result in few extra interview invites. I also has strong volunteer and leadership efforts realating to ophthalmology over all 4 years of medical school.

OMFG people 231 is not a subpar step 1. The average was 238, maybe now a 239. Your "subpar" step 1 is within 1 SD of an average. Have you seen a bell curve before, people?

--Board Scores: Step 1) 225 Step 2) 250
--AOA and class rank: not AOA, class rank unknown
--Reputation of medical school: Top 25 school, Top 5 ophtho program
--Research: No publications. Participated in one project in EM and two projects in ophtho
--Honors in clerkships: Zero
--# and where you did away rotations: Zero
--# of programs you applied to: 103
--Where invited for interviews: Wisconsin, Summa Health, MCG, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Buffalo, SLUEI, Eastern Virgina, LSU/Ochsner, UAB, MCW, Nebraska, Cook County, Nassau, Howard, Temple,
--Where matched: #6
--Anything that helped your app: Had three letter writers from elite ophtho program. I was told by several programs my personal statement was one of the best all year.

Reactions: 1 user
I've gotten requests via PM to set up an actual thread with a template like Dr. Doan's in the past with anonymous listing of everyone's stats for the 2013 Match. I understand he is much more busy than me so it might be easier if a student takes over. I'm fine doing it for now and will gladly step down and defer to him if he wants. The PMs I've received did say they are willing to PM me their stats in order for me to post them anonymously.

You strike me as being the ultimate gunner. Are you really so eager to post your stats that you have to make the "post my stats" thread on your own and be the first one? Jeez:thumbdown:

I think he/she is posting other people's stats anonymously for them. He/she is applying next year if I understand correctly from earlier posts...?

You strike me as being the ultimate gunner. Are you really so eager to post your stats that you have to make the "post my stats" thread on your own and be the first one? Jeez:thumbdown:

No I'm a 3rd year applying next cycle. Stats wise I'd be right in the middle. Anyways, keep em coming! Definitely a big help so far! Thanks again!

--Board Scores: 249/250
--AOA and class rank: N/A
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc) ?
--Research: Decent undergrad research and some research third year with presentations...all non-ophtho related
--Honors in clerkships: All but psych
--# and where you did away rotations: 1, mid-tier midwest program
--# of programs you applied to: 50
--Where invited for interviews: Louisville, Henry Ford, Wake Forest, SUNY Buffalo, Cincinnati
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) Personal letters, SDN, prayer

-Board scores: 255
-AOA and class rank if known: AOA, top 10%
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): good state school in south
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications): 1 non ophtho publication first author, 1 arvo poster, 3 accepted ophtho papers at time of application submission (1 first author), 4 more submitted at time of application and have since been accepted for publication (3 first author)
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine): all H but HP neurology and HP surgery
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 month at Bascom
--Where invited for interviews: (17) Bascom, Iowa, Wilmer, MEEI, Emory, Baylor, UTSW, UTH, UTSA, MCG, MUSC, UNC, Columbia, Colorado
Did not attend: Kresge, UTMB, UVA
Notable rejections: entire West coast
--Where matched: #11/14 (most people I know who did as well on getting interviews as I thought I was doing matched where they wanted, but yeah...going way down your list happens, too.)
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc)- I'm convinced that, at a point, it's all about who you know and who your letter writers know. Find good mentors who are well known and that will open doors. 1 phone call was made on my behalf but that wasn't enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
--Board Scores: Step 1 - 268
--AOA and class rank: Junior AOA, #1
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): "lower tier" midwest MD school without a home program
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications): 5 optho pubs; all prospective; 2 first author; 1 in ophthalmology; 2 additional research experiences without publications
--Honors in clerkships: all
--# and where you did away rotations: 2; both mid tier midwest programs
--# of programs you applied to: 45
--Where invited for interviews: 28; Attended (14) - Wash U, Mayo, Casey, U Michigan, UIC, Cleveland clinic, Pitt, MCW, UTSW, U Minnesota, Loyola, SLU, Rush, Mt. Sinai; Did not attend (14) - UC-Davis, USC/Doheny, NYEE, Emory, Utah, Boston U, U Maryland, Wayne State/Kresge, UNC, NYU, Case Western, Ohio State, Penn State, Wake Forest
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc): well-rounded application; no big-wig letters, but great personal letters; somewhat unique background; several leadership positions; and I'd like to think just being humble and genuinely excited/thankful for every interview opportunity.

-Board scores: 255
-AOA and class rank if known: AOA, top 10%
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): good state school in south
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications): 1 non ophtho publication first author, 1 arvo poster, 3 accepted ophtho papers at time of application submission (1 first author), 4 more submitted at time of application and have since been accepted for publication (3 first author)
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine): all H but HP neurology and HP surgery
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 month at Bascom
--Where invited for interviews: (17) Bascom, Iowa, Wilmer, MEEI, Emory, Baylor, UTSW, UTH, UTSA, MCG, MUSC, UNC, Columbia, Colorado
Did not attend: Kresge, UTMB, UVA
Notable rejections: entire West coast
--Where matched: #11/14 (most people I know who did as well on getting interviews as I thought I was doing matched where they wanted, but yeah...going way down your list happens, too.)
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc)- I'm convinced that, at a point, it's all about who you know and who your letter writers know. Find good mentors who are well known and that will open doors. 1 phone call was made on my behalf but that wasn't enough.

Wow, how often does this happen, especially with an app that strong?

Specific question: Did anyone match without doing any research?

Wow, how often does this happen, especially with an app that strong?

There are other factors that go into the quality of an applicant other than the stats and body of work listed above. That's why the interview is paramount. Not saying that's what happened here, as I'm sure sheer luck can cause someone to match at their 11th choice as well. I am also sure that happens every year.

In addition, many of those program were BALLIN and getting into any requires a certain amount of luck. I interviewed at some of those and I can tell you everyone there was pretty much a rockstar (except me, obviously). It gets crowded at the top. So it's possible that if he or she had interviewed at 15 completely other mid-tiers and top programs, they would have gotten their #1. We'll never know.

Last edited:
--Board Scores: Step 1: 236/99, Step 2: 239/83
--AOA and class rank: 25th-50th percentile
--Reputation of medical school: top midtier state school
--Research: 2 ophtho case reports, 1st author orthopedics paper, cornea research project, research volunteer for FM and infectious disease depts.
--Honors in clerkships: Medicine, ophtho home and away. HP all others, except Sats in obgyn and peds
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 at Emory
--# of programs you applied to: 70ish
--Where invited for interviews: 10 invited, 8 scheduled. Emory, OHSU, Nassau, MCW, Henry Ford, Wake Forest, UWash, Arkansas, UT-Houston, UTMB.
--Where matched: #3, upper mid tier program.
--Anything that helped your app: Sending out interest emails to program coordinators midway through interview season landed me three extra interviews. I never actually called, but heard it can work as well. Also, coming from a high level home program that was supportive and friendly. Applying broadly as most of my interviews were extremely random. Maybe my limited research? I'm sure my grades scared many some programs. I have heard that I interview well and did a practice mock interview with home PD before my first round of interviews. He gave me good feedback so I think it helped.

--Board Scores: Step 1: 246, Step 2: unreported at time of match
--AOA and class rank: not AOA, top 25% of my class (barely)
--Reputation of medical school: Average school, ranked in the 80s for research and in the 50s for primary care but has a pretty strong Ophthalmology program
--Research: some ophtho with no publications at time of match, but publication of a case report and another small project pending - I did these early senior year purposefully to boost my resume as I had no other research
--Honors in clerkships: A in surgery, B in medicine, A in peds, A in OB/Gyn (my school does grades, not honors/high pass/pass)
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 away rotation
--# of programs you applied to: 58
--Where invited for interviews: UT Houston, UT San Antonio, UTSW, UT Memphis, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Arkansas, U Missouri Kansas City, U Missouri Columbia, U Kansas, U Oklahoma, Virginia Commonwealth University, West Virginia University, Med C Georgia, LSU Shreveport, U Alabama Birmingham, St. Louis University
--Where matched: #1 (Never expected to match my #1! I feel so blessed and thankful since I just felt so at home there.)
--Anything that helped your app: work with an eye bank, volunteering in medical school (some of which was eye-care related), previous work in a challenging technical field during my 'gap year' between undergrad and medical school, strong personal letters from attendings with whom I developed good relationships both in and out of clinic, one letter from a pretty well known academic ophthalmologist, goofy but I guess interesting hobbies that I enjoy talking about and which were asked about during interviews

--Board Scores: Step I - 236/99, Step II - unreported (only was asked about it twice on the interview trail)
--AOA and class rank: if known: Not AOA, probably 25-50%
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Solid midwest/southeast public school with a home Ophtho program
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications) Basic science research with paper (4th author) and poster presentation (finalist), Ophtho research ongoing with expected paper and poster presentation (finalist)
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine): Honored Surgery, Medicine, Home/Away Ophtho
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 - Extremely strong surgical southeast program
--# of programs you applied to: 75 (Was concerned because previous classes at my school applied to ~45 programs and received between 3-6 interviews)
--Where invited for interviews: Invited to 18, attended 12.
MCG, ARKANSAS, UK, Akron, Mizzou - Columbia, Vandy,
LSU Shreveport, UT Houston, Louisville, WVU, Temple, UF - Gainesville
--Where matched: My #1!!
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc)
Two really strong letters - one from Ophtho research, other from gen surg. One letter was 'big wig' from the department but not as personal.
'Lurked' on SDN to figure out when to schedule interviews
Tried to be personable on interviews and show my interest any time I was around the field. You never know who talks to who! The tech's at programs can be your friends!

--Board Scores: Step I - 236/99, Step II - unreported (only was asked about it twice on the interview trail)
--AOA and class rank: if known: Not AOA, probably 25-50%
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Solid midwest/southeast public school with a home Ophtho program
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications) Basic science research with paper (4th author) and poster presentation (finalist), Ophtho research ongoing with expected paper and poster presentation (finalist)
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine): Honored Surgery, Medicine, Home/Away Ophtho
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 - Extremely strong surgical southeast program
--# of programs you applied to: 75 (Was concerned because previous classes at my school applied to ~45 programs and received between 3-6 interviews)
--Where invited for interviews: Invited to 18, attended 12.
MCG, ARKANSAS, UK, Akron, Mizzou - Columbia, Vandy,
LSU Shreveport, UT Houston, Louisville, WVU, Temple, UF - Gainesville
--Where matched: My #1!!
Two really strong letters - one from Ophtho research, other from gen surg. One letter was 'big wig' from the department but not as personal.
'Lurked' on SDN to figure out when to schedule interviews
Tried to be personable on interviews and show my interest any time I was around the field. You never know who talks to who! The tech's at programs can be your friends!

--Step 1: 251
--AOA and class rank: AOA
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc) Small school in Midwest, most people did not know where it was
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications): 2 ophtho case reports in online journals, 1 ophtho case report pending
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine) our school doesn't have honors wierd I know)
--# and where you did away rotations: 3 (2 in my hometown)
--# of programs you applied to: 80 (large number due to couples matching and coming from a small school), invited to 30, attended 16
--Where invited for interviews: Cleveland Clinic, Northwestern, Boston University, Stanford, CPMC, CWRU, OSU, U Cincinnati, Henry Ford, Kresge, Loyola, Albert Einstein, Georgetown, Rochester, Drexel, Summa
--Where matched: #1 :love:
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) Showing a commitment through a variety of activities (starting ophtho interest group, ophtho community service), doing case reports, strong letters of rec (non from big wigs) but attendings that knew me really well and really cared about my career, enthusiastic on interviews

--Board Scores: Step 1 = 245, Step 2 = n/a
--AOA and class rank: Top 10-25%, not AOA
--Reputation of medical school: upper-mid tier
--Research: a few ophtho case reports/papers/abstracts in submission, but no pubs
--Honors in clerkships: Medicine, Psych, OB, Neuro, Ophthox2, HP in rest.
--# and where you did away rotations: 0 (personal reasons)
--# of programs you applied to: 60
--Where invited for interviews: 16, went to 12 (Summa, MCW, Cook County, Case, Penn State, Indiana, UVA, VCU, USC - Columbia, WVU, UNC, Wake, Geisinger, Texas Tech, SLU, Univ of Chicago)
--Where matched: #3 (home program)
--Anything that helped your app: applied broadly, laid back personality on interviews, had some unique family experiences, SDN helped a lot. I also applied to a number of mid-tier and a smattering of upper-tier programs that I really liked hoping to get some interview bites, but I think my lack of significant research hurt me (I became interested in ophtho later, and didn't have a chance to publish...but then I'm not a research person anyway). My goal was to match into a solid clinical program the first time through, and am happy to have done that. Just know that this can be a very up-and-down process, so hang in there!

--Board Scores: Step 1 254
--AOA and class rank: Junior AOA, top 15%
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): Lower tier school
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications) 1 second author ophtho and 1 7th author. Both of them in less well-known journals
--Honors in clerkships: All honors except in EM
--# and where you did away rotations: BPEI satellite, Yale, UC Davis, Loma Linda
--# of programs you applied to: 70 or so
--Where invited for interviews: Arkansas, Yale, UVA, UPMC, CPMC, Casey, BU, Cook County, Indiana, UC Irvine, Loma Linda, EVMS, Kresge
--Where matched: #1 choice!
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) big-wig letter of recs and AOA grades and number really helps, but once you hit the interview stage, what matters the most seems to be who you are. Show your passions and don't be a dork or jerk, and you'll be fine!

-Board Scores: Step 1: mid 240s; Step 2: mid 250s
-AOA and class rank: not AOA, no class rank
-Reputation of medical school: Top 10
-Research: 6 non-ophthalmology publications (3 first author). 2 on-going ophtho projects that had no publications/posters at time of interviews (still was asked and talked about them a lot)
-Honors in clerkships: Honors: Medicine and Ophtho (home and aways). HP: everything else (including Surgery...oops).
-# and where you did away rotations: 2
-# of programs you applied to: 40
-Where invited for interviews: invited to 10, went on 9. Wills, Mayo, Emory, Duke, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, MCW, UChicago, MUSC
-Where matched: #3
-Anything that helped your app: I think I'm a decent interviewer? Third year grades were likely my weakest point (hence, an early Step 2) and a very possible reason why I didn't get certain interviews. I knew my letter writers very well, but none were very well-known.

--Board Scores: 251
--AOA and class rank: no AOA, third quartile
--Reputation of medical school: lower middle tier
--Research: 2 ophtho pub, 1 non-ophtho
--Honors in clerkships: none except ophtho elective
--# and where you did away rotations: 1, Wills
--# of programs you applied to: 60
--Where invited for interviews: Wills, Iowa, JSEI, Cornell, Brown, Penn State, TX Tech, UVA, UTSA, UMDNJ, Stony Brook, SUNY Upstate, Albany
--Where matched: #4
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) 1 big wig letter, 1 v. good personal letter from home program mentor, SDN

Try again, the link works and the numbers are accurate. 239 avg....SHEESH.

Interesting to note that step 1 averages may have increased but it seems like over all chances of matching are improving? thoughts?...is this self selection by candidates?

Interesting to note that step 1 averages may have increased but it seems like over all chances of matching are improving? thoughts?...is this self selection by candidates?

Self-selection may have something to do with it but the average on Step1 has also risen over the past few years. I think that has more to do with it in the past couple years. The average was 224 on my results report. A few years ago the average was still under 220.

Oh really? I thought national average for step I was fairly constant, but I could be wrong. I thought that test is graded on a bell curve type thing.

It was my understanding that the avg on a score report is just the avg of people that took the exam that day, maybe even just at that testing center....but I could very easily be completely incorrect.

I'm sure there is a better source out there than Wikipedia but that's all the work I feel like putting into this right now :)

"A score of 188 is needed to pass the test. At present, the national mean score is 225, with a standard deviation of approximately 20; an increase from the previous three means, which were 221 (standard deviation of 23), 218 (standard deviation of 23) and 215 (standard deviation 20)."

what's avg # of offers? is it avg # of interviews or avg # of places that ranked the applicant?

--Board Scores: step 1: 233/99, step 2: 251/95
--AOA and class rank: no AOA, second quartile
--Reputation of medical school: lower middle tier
--Research: 1 non-ophtho, current ophtho research (no pub)
--Honors in clerkships: OB, Family, Ophtho, HP in everything else
--# and where you did away rotations: 1, Georgetown
--# of programs you applied to: 100 (I freaked because I thought my step 1 was catastrophic for ophtho, lol)
--Where invited for interviews: Georgetown, Howard, George Washington, Howard, Colubmia, UT Houston, UT Galveston, USC, U. Missouri Kansas City, U. Missouri @ Columbia, Geisinger, U. Arizona
--Where matched: #1! (So thankful!)
--Anything that helped your app: MD/MPH status, my one pub was when I worked with the World Health Organization at their headquarters (it was brought up at literally every single interview); strong letters from people who know me well, only one was ophtho, but i think that all of my letter writers wrote really strong letters as they knew me so well and these were also brought up a lot along interview trail. Lots of community service that I could talk about in interviews. Being nice....no seriously, you might laugh but I think that being approachable and sincere means a lot when you interview. I was really worried about my subpar step 1, my lack of intense research, and my extremely short list of honors, but everything worked out. I say just bring up what you are passionate about as you interview and that will translate over! Good luck!

here we go again...."subpar step 1"....

--Board Scores: Step 1= 232/99 Step 2=265/88 (took before August)
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): state school outside of top 25
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications) Doris Duke (2 submitted ophtho papers); 1 other submitted 1st author ophtho, 8+ Arvo posters, 1 non-ophtho pub (2nd author), few ophtho pubs not as 1st author
--Honors in clerkships: all Honors except Medicine (HP)
--# and where you did away rotations: a top 10 program and a top 20 program
--# of programs you applied to: 70+
--Where invited for interviews: 37+; Went to 18, including: Bascom, Iowa, MEEI, NYEE, Doheny, Duke, Wills, Cleveland Clinic, UPMC, Wash U, UIC, UTSW, Wisconsin, UPenn, Yale, Georgetown
--Where matched: #6 (Top 10-15; depending on which list you look at).
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) Doris Duke; Early commitment to ophtho from 1st year; being a normal person on interviews; phone call from 2 big wigs;

Honestly, considering some of the weaknesses of my application (non-competitive step1, no-name state med school, not as many accepted publications) I am extremely happy to have matched where I did. However, still hurts a little to match at #6 and have had even more amazing interviews where I thought I had fit in better. It was both humbling and encouraging to end up where I did (not sure if that makes sense). I never expected to get interviews at the top 20 programs. There were definite programs that screened based on step I, because sometimes I was surprised I did not get interviews at some low/mid-tier programs in my region. At the same time I was surprised that so many top 10 programs actually read applications and don’t have a step1 cutoff. Then again my step 1 may have kept me from being ranked highly by some of these same programs.

--Board Scores: Step 1= 232/99 Step 2=265/88 (took before August)
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): state school outside of top 25
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications) Doris Duke (2 submitted ophtho papers); 1 other submitted 1st author ophtho, 8+ Arvo posters, 1 non-ophtho pub (2nd author), few ophtho pubs not as 1st author
--Honors in clerkships: all Honors except Medicine (HP)
--# and where you did away rotations: a top 10 program and a top 20 program
--# of programs you applied to: 70+
--Where invited for interviews: 37+; Went to 18, including: Bascom, Iowa, MEEI, NYEE, Doheny, Duke, Wills, Cleveland Clinic, UPMC, Wash U, UIC, UTSW, Wisconsin, UPenn, Yale, Georgetown
--Where matched: #6 (Top 10-15; depending on which list you look at).
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) Doris Duke; Early commitment to ophtho from 1st year; being a normal person on interviews; phone call from 2 big wigs;

Honestly, considering some of the weaknesses of my application (non-competitive step1, no-name state med school, not as many accepted publications) I am extremely happy to have matched where I did. However, still hurts a little to match at #6 and have had even more amazing interviews where I thought I had fit in better. It was both humbling and encouraging to end up where I did (not sure if that makes sense). I never expected to get interviews at the top 20 programs. There were definite programs that screened based on step I, because sometimes I was surprised I did not get interviews at some low/mid-tier programs in my region. At the same time I was surprised that so many top 10 programs actually read applications and don’t have a step1 cutoff. Then again my step 1 may have kept me from being ranked highly by some of these same programs.

:(:eek::confused:

Did any DO's match ACGME? I know there were several last year who pulled it off.

I know several with board scores in the 230's who matched this year as well-- SDN date can be very skewed -- but ophthalmology continues to remain an impressively competitive specialty

I have a friend whose a DO that did. He had great scores and was all round awesome :)

I know several with board scores in the 230's who matched this year as well-- SDN date can be very skewed -- but ophthalmology continues to remain an impressively competitive specialty
according to SFMatch/AUPO, 28.1% didn't match; but for some reason they report 78% matched (which is consistent and somewhat reduced from previous years classically in the 80s).

I got the 28% umatched by 128/455 (unmatched/matched). there must be something wrong with my calculation because according to the report it's 22%.

I feel really bad for IMGs and "US Grads" both of whom had < 10% matched. US Seniors have a 89% matched. Amazing

http://www.sfmatch.org/residency/ophthalmology/about_match/match_report.pdf

according to SFMatch/AUPO, 28.1% didn't match; but for some reason they report 78% matched (which is consistent and somewhat reduced from previous years classically in the 80s).

I got the 28% umatched by 128/455 (unmatched/matched). there must be something wrong with my calculation because according to the report it's 22%.

I feel really bad for IMGs and "US Grads" both of whom had < 10% matched. US Seniors have a 89% matched. Amazing

http://www.sfmatch.org/residency/ophthalmology/about_match/match_report.pdf

To calculate unmatched %, you need to use unmatched divided by everyone (unmatched and matched), aka 128 / (128+455). This gives you 22%.

No, those numbers refer to the number of people matched who are US seniors (89%), US grads 7% and IMGs 4%. Add all three numbers and the total is 100%. Doesn't tell you what percentage of each group matched.
right. in order to know that I would have to find out how many of the 128 unmatched are seniors, grads, and IMGs. that way we could know how many total of each group submitted a rank list then divide #matched in group/#in group:

say for seniors: 402 (#matched seniors) / total seniors (402 + unmatched seniors) = % seniors match rate

right?