Pre-Dents: Is this enough science courses or should I load up on more?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meryl Land

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I am a second semester senior, biology major w/ gpa=3.3, sGPA=2.95. I go to a top 50 university

I was planning on taking human embryology and cell biology this semester, as well as a psych class and a writing class. I know I have to bring up my science gpa to at least a 3.0 to apply to d-schools, which I think I can do taking these classes.

I've already taken these classes and usually take 2-3 a semester:

Genetics/B-
Histology/B
Neurobiology/B+
Biochem/D
Biotechnology/B+
Ecology/B-
Invertebrate biology/B+

Intro Bio 1& 2: A
Physics: A
Chem: B/C
Ochem: D/B+/C (had to retake)

My question is, should I load up more bio classes to show them that I can handle the coursework, or is this schedule enough to prove I'm ready? What other courses should I take?

Members don't see this ad.

Firstly you need to bring that D from Biochem upto an A (its doable)

Secondly, Im not sure if being at the cut-off sGPA is the best bet, but depending on your ECs and your DAT score it you mite be able to do it...

But I would suggest doing a post-Bacc to increase your GPA (bot s and c) Take a Human A&P course or a Physiology equivalent because schools like MWU have that as a requirement ...From now on aim for A's (I now it sounds cliche but again its doable) Other courses that I found intresting were Micro Bio, Immunology but those are just Suggestions

But again A's is what you need from here on out...

Going to be brutally honest right now.... but your course load is not the problem, it's that sGPA. Getting C's and B-'s is actually showing them that you can't handle the course load.

You need to get A's from here on out. Not B's... not B+'s... You need A's. That is the only thing that will bring that sGPA up. Other than that, consider taking micro, anatomy, and physiology as about 1/3 of all schools require some combination of those.

Buckle down and good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
I am a second semester senior, biology major w/ gpa=3.3, sGPA=2.95. I go to a top 50 university

I was planning on taking human embryology and cell biology this semester, as well as a psych class and a writing class. I know I have to bring up my science gpa to at least a 3.0 to apply to d-schools, which I think I can do taking these classes.

I've already taken these classes and usually take 2-3 a semester:

Genetics/B-
Histology/B
Neurobiology/B+
Biochem/D
Biotechnology/B+
Ecology/B-
Invertebrate biology/B+

Intro Bio 1& 2: A
Physics: A
Chem: B/C
Ochem: D/B+/C (had to retake)

My question is, should I load up more bio classes to show them that I can handle the coursework, or is this schedule enough to prove I'm ready? What other courses should I take?

First, and foremost :

grades>>>>>> course load.

It is good that you are taking a tough course load but if you are just going to end up with mediocre grades then there is no point of doing so. Lighten up your course load and get good grades then gradually build up the difficulty.

Going to be brutally honest right now.... but your course load is not the problem, it's that sGPA. Getting C's and B-'s is actually showing them that you can't handle the course load.

You need to get A's from here on out. Not B's... not B+'s... You need A's. That is the only thing that will bring that sGPA up. Other than that, consider taking micro, anatomy, and physiology as about 1/3 of all schools require some combination of those.

Buckle down and good luck!!

First, and foremost :

grades>>>>>> course load.

It is good that you are taking a tough course load but if you are just going to end up with mediocre grades then there is no point of doing so. Lighten up your course load and get good grades then gradually build up the difficulty.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

OP, I was once in your position. I'm still building my way out of it, actually, but I just wanted to say that you should take the advice above because that's the way to do it. Do one science class per semester if that's all you can do. Even if you need a break, don't take any that semester and come back to it. That's not a crime. Just do what you can get good grades in and build up the difficulty as you go!

Hey,

I go to a top 217 university. No one cares if you went to a top 50 or top 300. Your sGPA is pretty low. I would rather take less classes, 12hrs worth, and get all As, then have a mish-mash of A,D,B-,B,C.

"It still a numbers game in the end." That's what the dean of admissions told me.

Thanks, yea I know I should get A's from here on out. My school's immunology and gross anatomy professors are rumored to be very hard, and I honestly don't think I'd be able to pull off A's in either.

Do you think that if I can pull of A's in cell and embryology, as well as the other two classes, that will be enough to show them I can handle it?

Do you think that if I can pull of A's in cell and embryology, as well as the other two classes, that will be enough to show them I can handle it?

One good semester will not overshadow 3 years worth of mediocrity.

However, if you pull a 23+ on your DAT, we may have a different story on our hands.

One good semester will not overshadow 3 years worth of mediocrity.

However, if you pull a 23+ on your DAT, we may have a different story on our hands.

Agree. And agree again. Good luck, OP!

So then since I am graduating after this semester, will a post-bac with advanced science courses make up for it? I don't want to do a master's because if dental school doesn't work out, I want to leave the sciences altogether.

My DAT is 20/20/20

Extra curriculars - like 400 hours of shadowing, and a lot of unrelated yet prestigious jobs/internships/experiences.

do a post bac but definitely consider a masters. This isn't just something to try and give up if you don't get in. You need to show the dental school perseverance and resiliency by applying multiple cycles. It shows them you want it really bad, and if you do then, looking at your DAT, you should get in.

You have to work harder instead of looking for an exit.

So then since I am graduating after this semester, will a post-bac with advanced science courses make up for it? I don't want to do a master's because if dental school doesn't work out, I want to leave the sciences altogether.

My DAT is 20/20/20

Extra curriculars - like 400 hours of shadowing, and a lot of unrelated yet prestigious jobs/internships/experiences.

I'd try looking into dental specific post-bacc programs. They'll be the best route. Still get the A's this semester, still apply thus June (and I mean on opening day you submit!), still be optimistic, but I'd really look into programs that will start this fall. That gives you a back up for the following year, while allowing you to strengthen your application for the next cycle.

Right, I know I need to go full-force with it. It's just that my financial resources are limited, and I've already got a lot of debt from undergrad. So I can't really afford to spend thousands of dollars on master's programs and other things involved in fluffing my app, let alone paying for d-school and having $ to live off for those years. I just want to be able to get there without being wasteful. If it's going to be an extremely long and painful and expensive process, then I'm just thinking it might help to be realistic, given my circumstances.

(I'm kind of feeling lousy about my chances at this point since it seems like I have no choice but to throw out $50k on a master's program, which is just absolutely insane) :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Right, I know I need to go full-force with it. It's just that my financial resources are limited, and I've already got a lot of debt from undergrad. So I can't really afford to spend thousands of dollars on master's programs and other things involved in fluffing my app, let alone paying for d-school and having $ to live off for those years. I just want to be able to get there without being wasteful. If it's going to be an extremely long and painful and expensive process, then I'm just thinking it might help to be realistic, given my circumstances.

(I'm kind of feeling lousy about my chances at this point since it seems like I have no choice but to throw out $50k on a master's program, which is just absolutely insane) :(

I don't think you need to do a master's program. I think you're on the cusp of making it as long as you stick with it and continue to get good grades. Being unrealistic is if you have a 2.0 GPA and think you can make it to dental school.

You have a realistic shot, you just have to be willing to suffer and sacrifice if this is what you really want to do. Let me tell you something about me, I spent many years in a refugee camp, there was nothing that was going to hold me back from bettering myself. I'm not leaving this earth with any regrets, that's for damn sure.

That's the main reason I said to look into dental specific programs. Creighton has a post bacc which allows you to get a potential 10k/yr scholarship while in dental school (which you're guaranteed into if you do well enough in the post bacc program). The program costs about 35k for a single year but potential saves you 40k while in dental school, for a net savings of $5k. This is just one of the options available out there. There are plenty more. Plus, don't beat down on yourself. My GPA is terrible, but for different reasons then your own. We all have our battles to fight, if dentistry is what you want in life then fight for it! This is my second time applying and even though I had four pre-dec interviews I'm still not in; but I'm keeping my head up because I know that this is what I want.

I don't think you need to do a master's program. I think you're on the cusp of making it as long as you stick with it and continue to get good grades. Being unrealistic is if you have a 2.0 GPA and think you can make it to dental school.

You have a realistic shot, you just have to be willing to suffer and sacrifice if this is what you really want to do. Let me tell you something about me, I spent many years in a refugee camp, there was nothing that was going to hold me back from bettering myself. I'm not leaving this earth with any regrets, that's for damn sure.

I agree that you're not being unrealistic by applying. If I thought you had no chance then I wouldn't have applied myself, twice.

who cares if its a troll?! if you think its a troll don't waste your time posting on BOTH of his/her posts calling them out and dissecting their writing style and order of classes etc...don't waste your own time if you think its a troll, and don't waste their time in case it really is just a coincidence (which is a low chance but jeeeeeez let it go)

If no one points it out then we get everyone answering the question and feeding the troll. duh

who cares if its a troll?! if you think its a troll don't waste your time posting on BOTH of his/her posts calling them out and dissecting their writing style and order of classes etc...don't waste your own time if you think its a troll, and don't waste their time in case it really is just a coincidence (which is a low chance but jeeeeeez let it go)

Two trolls in one thread or the same troll with 2 usernames?

Yes, it is important to call trolls out. They really do nothing but degrade the quality of the forum to fuel their own egos.

well i get pointing out a troll so people are cautious about posting, but nondescriptive you commented like 15 times on this "troll's" other thread...why waste your time fueling the troll more and more? thats what i don't get

well i get pointing out a troll so people are cautious about posting, but nondescriptive you commented like 15 times on this "troll's" other thread...why waste your time fueling the troll more and more? thats what i don't get

Bored. Mardi gras is already underway and I'm stuck in my apartment; unless I want to wait an hour in traffic. lol