Failed to Match for GPR/AEGD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cybermech

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thing I learned the hard way was that, you really need to have an accurate idea of where you stand after the interview process. I went on a whim thinking that I did better than I actually did, and ended up ranking a program #1 that I probably had no business ranking. Either way, I didn't match anywhere even though I ranked 5 places, some of which I probably could have gotten into if I ranked #1.

So, I guess now I have to scramble for post-match.. I'm really worried because I don't know how this process works. How do they even accommodate all the people who don't match?

Oh, and apparently people who fail to match get notified 3-4 hours before the actual match.. what a great way to start the morning...

Members don't see this ad.

Match always favors the applicant. It may not feel that way if you don't match, but it is a mathematical algorithm so there is no way to "trick" it. If you put 5 programs on your list and didn't match at any of them, it's not because of the order of the programs on your list. It's not because you "should have put one of the other programs at #1."

You didn't match because those 5 programs did not put your name high enough on their lists. They filled their spots with people on their lists higher than you, so you never had a chance. Also, they may not have ranked you at all so you definitely had no chance but you will never find out if a program didn't rank you (unless you know someone on the inside who tells you). Just like you do not have to rank every program where you interview, the programs do not have to rank every candidate they interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
i didnt match either , and i also dont know how the post match works .... anyideas ?

The more I think about it.... I think I realized that they probably just didn't rank me. There were all the same ppl interviewing at the same sites. Most seemed like they were more competitive than me... *sigh*