Shooot its March!! Boards are fast approaching!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alisepeep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else just have a freak out realizing its officially board cram time???!!
What is everyone's study plans?
I plan to go thru DIT and then First aid twice..and do Qbank!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else just have a freak out realizing its officially board cram time???!!
What is everyone's study plans?
I plan to go thru DIT and then First aid twice..and do Qbank!

when are you taking it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I cannot even remember everything about what I did exactly. But it was pretty extreme. Goes a little something like this:

I remember throughout second year of med school I read through Goljan's Pathology (do you kids still use this these days?) book along with my path class. I mostly focused on Goljan and just skimmed through my lecture notes right before the tests. I would read Goljan chapter 5x prior to each exam in class. I also listened to all of the GOljan bootleg lectures 3x prior to each exam.

Then around this time of the year I started reading Goljan again from page 1 so I could read through it in it's entirety again prior to the end of M2 year. Then I read half of it again during my ~5 week study period.

I also read First Aid 3x during my dedicated Step 1 study period. I didn't read it much prior while going through M2 year. I barely touched it until I had my 5 weeks off for pure Step 1 study.

Also during that 5 week study jam session I started USMLE WORLD and ran through the whole qbank once, all timed, random, blocks of 48 questions. Spent most of my time reading through ALL of the explanations, both right and wrong questions.

I studied 14-16 hours a day, every day, during my dedicated 5 week study period after M2 year. After that experience, a part of me died inside. I will never be the same. But I did score 250 on USMLE Step 1.

Good luck.

I cannot even remember everything about what I did exactly. But it was pretty extreme. Goes a little something like this:

I remember throughout second year of med school I read through Goljan's Pathology (do you kids still use this these days?) book along with my path class. I mostly focused on Goljan and just skimmed through my lecture notes right before the tests. I would read Goljan chapter 5x prior to each exam in class. I also listened to all of the GOljan bootleg lectures 3x prior to each exam.

Then around this time of the year I started reading Goljan again from page 1 so I could read through it in it's entirety again prior to the end of M2 year. Then I read half of it again during my ~5 week study period.

I also read First Aid 3x during my dedicated Step 1 study period. I didn't read it much prior while going through M2 year. I barely touched it until I had my 5 weeks off for pure Step 1 study.

Also during that 5 week study jam session I started USMLE WORLD and ran through the whole qbank once, all timed, random, blocks of 48 questions. Spent most of my time reading through ALL of the explanations, both right and wrong questions.

I studied 14-16 hours a day, every day, during my dedicated 5 week study period after M2 year. After that experience, a part of me died inside. I will never be the same. But I did score 250 on USMLE Step 1.

Good luck.

+1

Never want to study for step 1 again.

I read it at least 4 times. May have had it memorized when I peaked

How do you guys read it through this many times?

I've completely focused on M2 class material and rocked all the courses... but doing this I had little time to prep for boards.

I'd really like to read through FA 3X during my five week study period but is this possible? I'm gonna do DIT as one of my passes and read through it on my own hopefully twice. Is this too ambitious?

At the same time I'll do Uworld questions...

How does my study plan stound:
Go through USMLE using DIT first: making all the annotations in the book and stuff...should be done with this by April 1st if i stick to schedule. Meanwhile do 20 Qbank questions/ day

Go thru First Aid two more times April-June. Increasing Qbank questions by 10 every month. Once its a month before exam i will start doing the whole 46 exam blocks. April 1st i also plan to add an hour of Pathoma to every study day. Go through DIT once again in 15 days when my allotted 5 weeks off for Step 1 study starts. When Im done with that just keep doing questions and reviewing Step 1 for topics I dont remember.

How does this sound?
Exam is mid june.

I have the test on April 20th. My school doesn't have grades so I have been doing Kaplan Qbank and Pathoma throughout the year and first aid to study for each organ system. Kaplan is way too detailed so I am not using it anymore (I completed about 50% of it). About two months ago I got UWorld and just did my first time through. My first pass through UWorld is 73% correct. I just started reading through first aid again from the beginning and I am going to do pathoma again with each first aid chapter. Also, I am going to reset UWorld and do it again. We finish classes in a week and then I have like 4 weeks for dedicated studying.

I am only using Pathoma, FA, and Uworld for studying. Too many additional resources thrown into the mix like Goljian, DIT, etc. would just confuse. Keeping it simple is key I think; when I need to find something, I can visualize the page in my head that I need in Pathoma or FA...

How do you guys read it through this many times?

Read it really only during my 5 week study period. 3x total. First pass is painful and slow, lots of highlighting. Second pass is painful but faster with making some stars. Third pass is fast, plus I mostly just focused more on stuff that I had starred on my second pass as things that were hard for me to remember. Pretty much memorized by that point.

Members don't see this ad :)
bumppp cana you guys please reply what you think of my study plan?

bumppp cana you guys please reply what you think of my study plan?

Isn't there a thread with thousands of posts about step 1 score and the study strategies they used in the USMLE Step 1 sub-forum? Passing the exam is easy. But if you want to destroy it, most people have to put in more effort, like badasshairday. I would suggest correlating score with study strategy when deciding what you're going to do.

Sounds like DIT is all the rage now?

Good luck.

Those were the days, man. You couldn't pay me to go back to June 2010, but it was always nice knowing we all suffered together.

sort of off topic but I wanted to know what is the most reliable study materials for preparing the USMLE exams, I have heard First Aid book is pretty good

Those were the days, man. You couldn't pay me to go back to June 2010, but it was always nice knowing we all suffered together.

Yup, me, you, and Milk were in that together. That was a really crappy 5 weeks. Nice to blow off steam on SDN. :thumbup:

you can't be a medical student... there is no way it is possible....

sorry my bad, I got accepted to med schools but I just want to be aware of what are the best methods. some of my biggest regrets in undergraduate school was not being told the right things to study for (had I known about the Berkeley Review earlier, I would have used that instead of the Examkrackers but whatever)

good luck on the boards

sorry my bad, I got accepted to med schools but I just want to be aware of what are the best methods. some of my biggest regrets in undergraduate school was not being told the right things to study for (had I known about the Berkeley Review earlier, I would have used that instead of the Examkrackers but whatever)

good luck on the boards

don't worry, you'll hear about first aid and goljian so many times in medical school you'll want to throw up by the time boards roll around.

FA + Uworld are the bare-bones minimum.

These two + Pathoma are going to make up like 95% of my study materials. I have some extra sources for Micro from when I took the block (Microcards and CMMRS) but I don't really plan on picking up anything else.

These two + Pathoma are going to make up like 95% of my study materials. I have some extra sources for Micro from when I took the block (Microcards and CMMRS) but I don't really plan on picking up anything else.

Because I remember very little from first year (to the point where FA is almost not even helpful), I plan on reading this guy - http://www.amazon.com/Sciences-General-Principles-Second-Edition/dp/007174388X/ - in the first few days of my studying.

I am also using Pathoma + UW + FA for my dedicated prep (5-6 weeks)

Right now I am almost through clinical micro made ridiculously simple, I am also using HY from neuroanatomy, embryology, and anatomy. I plan on using an additional pharm resource, probably deja review or pharm recall. I hope to use all of these before the dedicated prep period so I am only briefly glossing over them during dedicated prep.

I plan on doing 3-5 NMBE's before the real thing.

Last edited:
I am also using Pathoma + UW + FA for my dedicated prep (5-6 weeks)

Right now I am almost through clinical micro made ridiculously simple, I using HY from neuroanatomy, embryology, and anatomy. I plan on using an additional pharm resource, probably deja review or pharm recall. I hope to use all of these before the dedicated prep period so I am only briefly glossing over them during dedicated prep.

I plan on doing 3-5 NMBE's before the real thing.

I have been meaning to buy Pharm Recall for weeks, since some of my classmate have raved about it to me. I might as well pick it up before my study period starts.

I have been meaning to buy Pharm Recall for weeks, since some of my classmate have raved about it to me. I might as well pick it up before my study period starts.

I think it's useful if you start using it now, more of a long term repetition thing. It's more or less notecard format just in the style of two columns per page. There is also audio, which I am doing instead of Goljian audio because I hate the dude's voice.

Almost done FA once, will be done in a week. Dont have everything memorized obviously. I've been doing questions but need to increase it a lot more. I've done less than 500 questions and getting 50-60% on Kaplan QBank.

But ya board are coming up quick in June, so starting to freak out a bit. I watched pathoma during each system but need to redo it as i'm sure i forgot a lot.

Still unsure of my strategy for dedicated study time (6 weeks). We also have one week off before dedicated study time. Might do run through DIT once. Definitely significantly increasing questions soon

Almost done FA once, will be done in a week. Dont have everything memorized obviously. I've been doing questions but need to increase it a lot more. I've done less than 500 questions and getting 50-60% on Kaplan QBank.

But ya board are coming up quick in June, so starting to freak out a bit. I watched pathoma during each system but need to redo it as i'm sure i forgot a lot.

Still unsure of my strategy for dedicated study time (6 weeks). We also have one week off before dedicated study time. Might do run through DIT once. Definitely significantly increasing questions soon

My goal is to cover 100 questions/day followed by reading and going over FA. We're fortunate in that we have about 7 weeks to study so I'm hoping to get through UWorld twice, FA multiple times, and as far through the Kaplan Qbank as I can in the last couple of weeks.

I hope that's sufficient. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717

My goal is to cover 100 questions/day followed by reading and going over FA. We're fortunate in that we have about 7 weeks to study so I'm hoping to get through UWorld twice, FA multiple times, and as far through the Kaplan Qbank as I can in the last couple of weeks.

7 weeks is too long. You will peak, then plateau, and extra studying will be wasted. Instead take it in 5 - 6 weeks MAX, and take one week off to kick it at a beach. I took 5 weeks, wish I had took it at 4 week mark. I definitely peaked and plateaued and got frustrated my last week of studying. It was torture. Plus you want to be rested before M3 starts. I was so burnt out, terrible performance on my first shelf exam.

7 weeks is too long. You will peak, then plateau, and extra studying will be wasted. Instead take it in 5 - 6 weeks MAX, and take one week off to kick it at a beach. I took 5 weeks, wish I had took it at 4 week mark. I definitely peaked and plateaued and got frustrated my last week of studying. It was torture. Plus you want to be rested before M3 starts. I was so burnt out, terrible performance on my first shelf exam.

Everyone says this, but I'm not convinced - especially when I assess my own retention of the M1 material, which is absolutely zero. And if that ends up being too much time then I figure I can always move my test date up.

As far as taking a break before M3, we have dedicated research time for almost two months between boards and M3 and the nature of my project will require no more than a few hours of work each week. :cool:

Everyone says this, but I'm not convinced - especially when I assess my own retention of the M1 material, which is absolutely zero. And if that ends up being too much time then I figure I can always move my test date up.

Don't say we didn't warn you . . .

WHen you say 100 questions/ day, etc.... are you referring to the dedicated study time?

What are you doing right now during classes for board prep?

I have exactly five weeks dedicated time for studying for boards... take the test on June 10th and M3 year starts July 8th. Its gonna be a glorious month after that :thumbup:

Don't say we didn't warn you . . .

I agree with NickNaylor here. 7 weeks isn't really that bad IMO, and I personally didn't experience any plateauing. The longer study period allowed me to take a weekend off here and there, and throw in a few "reading days" for subjects I was weak on. 7 weeks was perfect for my study style and allowed me to surpass my target score, but to each his own.

WHen you say 100 questions/ day, etc.... are you referring to the dedicated study time?

What are you doing right now during classes for board prep?

Yeah - I plan to do 100 questions/day during the dedicated study time. That should give me plenty of time to get through UWorld twice and give me a week to get as much of the Kaplan Qbank done as I can.

During classes I'm... studying? In addition to learning the pathophys I study out of FA to refresh myself on embryo, basic phys, etc.. I've also done about 700-800 questions out of the Kaplan Qbank, but when time becomes precious that's the first thing to fall by the wayside, so I've been relatively inconsistent with that.

Uworld questions are way more like the real exam than Kaplan...I wouldn't save Kaplan as the very last questions you do before you take the exam.

Agreed. I used Kaplan QBank from about February until the end of the school year, doing block-specific questions for what we were learning in class, as well as subject-specific questions for whatever Step I stuff I was reviewing (since I started my Step I studying around February doing a long slow burn).

Uworld questions are way more like the real exam than Kaplan...I wouldn't save Kaplan as the very last questions you do before you take the exam.

I'm not sure that doing one set versus the other in the last few days is really going to matter...

I'm not sure that doing one set versus the other in the last few days is really going to matter...

I really wouldn't do kaplan at the end, unless you've done some of it and know what it's like and still think it's ok. The question stems tend to be overly tricky. Anther critique is that Kaplan's questions are often too relient on knowing concrete facts and don't have enough 2 step thought processes going on.

I did Kaplan throughout the year and thought it was OK for learning the material the first time (might be ok for you if you truly remember nothing from M1) but I think it's a poor way to refresh your memory. just my 2 cents.

I know some people thought DIT was great, but it was a huge (and expensive) distractor for me and tanked my score. If I had to go back, I would use UWorld exclusively and reference first aid as I worked through the questions (i.e., do not cold read FA). It's what Im doing for step 2.

Questions, questions, questions.
Listening to DIT drone on and on for 8 hours a day then trying to cold read FA is about an inefficient as you can get. UWorld only IMO, even though this goes against prevailing wisdom. My $700 to DIT only took away time I could have spent doing questions and got me free spam for life for their other products.

Frick, I meant to post this in the big 2013 Step 1 thread on the Step 1 forum. Neeeeeeeeeeevermind.

Last edited:
I really wouldn't do kaplan at the end, unless you've done some of it and know what it's like and still think it's ok. The question stems tend to be overly tricky. Anther critique is that Kaplan's questions are often too relient on knowing concrete facts and don't have enough 2 step thought processes going on.

I did Kaplan throughout the year and thought it was OK for learning the material the first time (might be ok for you if you truly remember nothing from M1) but I think it's a poor way to refresh your memory. just my 2 cents.

I've done about a third of the qbank, and I'm definitely aware of the shortcomings. I'm using it more to annotate FA than anything else.

I know people have their lines drawn in what resources are "the best," but I just simply don't buy that using one qbank or another in the last week or two of your prep is going to matter. At that point you've either done the work or you haven't - I suppose that's what I was getting at.

I've done about a third of the qbank, and I'm definitely aware of the shortcomings. I'm using it more to annotate FA than anything else.

I know people have their lines drawn in what resources are "the best," but I just simply don't buy that using one qbank or another in the last week or two of your prep is going to matter. At that point you've either done the work or you haven't - I suppose that's what I was getting at.

Eh, to each their own.