Boards and Beyond Sold to McGraw Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRealBatmanMD

NeuroGod
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Glad that Dr. Ryan got the bag, but concerned about the future status of the resource. Hopefully, there aren't alterations to the content. Does anyone know if Dr. Ryan will continue to produce the videos? He seems to have provided no detailed disclosure on the future of the site. Also wonder if anyone has ever tried to buy Pathoma from Sattar?

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Wonder how much Dr. Ryan sold it for. I would guess that amongst the ~100,000 medical students in M1-M3., at least 10,000 of those pay for a subscription. At ~$300 dollars a year, that's 3m a year in revenue with minimal expenses. Dr. Ryan must have gotten PAID to sell his company assuming McGraw Hill now has 100% equity in the company.

Wonder how much Dr. Ryan sold it for. I would guess that amongst the ~100,000 medical students in M1-M3., at least 10,000 of those pay for a subscription. At ~$300 dollars a year, that's 3m a year in revenue with minimal expenses. Dr. Ryan must have gotten PAID to sell his company assuming McGraw Hill now has 100% equity in the company.

Yeah. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were him too. He should switch over to post-medical school education. That's definitely an untapped market.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were him too. He should switch over to post-medical school education. That's definitely an untapped market.
Curious what you mean here - like, resident education? Or attending CME-type stuff?

Curious what you mean here - like, resident education? Or attending CME-type stuff?
Resident education. Things like radiology concepts, practical concepts for managing patients on the floors, etc. Creating content for attendings is probably not profitable given how niche certain fields are and the limitations of Dr. Ryan's knowledge when it comes to non-cardiology disciplines.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think B2B is the real untapped market in medical education. Imagine the contracts you could get with medical schools and residency programs. Selling to individual med students is tough. They've got a few hundred to spare and are hyper-discerning. Med schools would just roll it into the cost of tuition and hire fewer educators, and they likely would barely even consider the actual quality (plus it would be harder for students to compare and know what they're missing).

Boards and Beyond and Pathoma are more exhaustive than a typical pre-clinical curriculum. Couple it with a question bank and you don't need anything else. I still find it funny to this day that Dr. Ryan and Dr. Sattar can explain concepts better than physicians who actually practice that specific field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user