So... This Happened

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Datooth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been a longtime lurker and I just took my DAT recently.

Perceptual Ability - 18
Quantitative Reasoning - 17
Reading Comprehension - 18
Biology - 19
General Chemistry - 18
Organic Chemistry - 16
Total Science - 18
Academic Average - 18

I know I'll probably have to retake the exam but the reason I'm posting is, I honestly have no idea how to improve (except QR. I just didn't study for it.) I took the 2009 DAT Exam prior to my exam and these were my results (using the 2007 score sheet):

Perceptual Ability - 21 (75/90)
Quantitative Reasoning - 18 (25/40)
Reading Comprehension - 19 (just ball-parking I have no idea how to grade this)
Biology - 20 (30/40)
General Chemistry - 25 (29/30)
Organic Chemistry - 21 (26/30)

(didn't calc TS / AA)

I went through destroyer and consistently got 75-90% of the questions correct (excluding BIO which I didn't do.) I can blow through chad's quizzes like clockwork, I consistently scored 21+ on Crack the DAT, I averaged 20-21 on qvault BIO. I got 23+ on each section provided in the DAT Bootcamp (didn't do QR.) Needless to say, I'm at odds to how I scored what I did; especially considering I scored well on literally everything. I don't know if I just got royally dicked in terms of DAT versions or whatever but I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Just for the funsies, I don't suppose a 3.75 oGPA / 3.6 sGPA / 3.8 BCP GPA could overcome these trashy scores?

Any suggestions / input is kindly appreciated.

Edit: Got a 22 AA / TS on retake!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for you! I'm pretty worried this is going to happen to me, because I'm not doing very well on the practice exams, but I've been studying so hard for about 3 months now. My guess is that everyone here is going to encourage you to retake, but I took the Kaplan free practice test today and the instructor basically said anyone over a 17/18 was sitting pretty good. You have a stronger GPA than average, so I think there's hope for you. These score are consistent, and all above the national average.

How many actual mock tests did you take though, in their entirety? I recommend topscore to build endurance. Sitting for the DAT is straining energy-wise. With practice scores like that, I'm surprised at your scores. I scored around those ranges while practicing and ended up in those ranges on the real thing.

Do you think you went through the DAT too fast and didn't pay attention to how the question was worded? Were you nervous? As mentioned above, did you take practice tests for all 6 subjects within the allotted time, just like real test conditions?

How long did you study?

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel sorry for you! I'm pretty worried this is going to happen to me, because I'm not doing very well on the practice exams, but I've been studying so hard for about 3 months now. My guess is that everyone here is going to encourage you to retake, but I took the Kaplan free practice test today and the instructor basically said anyone over a 17/18 was sitting pretty good. You have a stronger GPA than average, so I think there's hope for you. These score are consistent, and all above the national average.

Considering the avg. is 19.5 this year, I feel like I have no choice but to retake. I'm sure you'll be fine, I probably got extremely unlucky or my brain cells spontaneously combusted.

@ATG20 / gogate, I never took an exam in its entirety in one sitting. I don't have test anxiety and I don't really have a problem with sitting for 5 hours straight infront of a computer screen. I pretty much do that already when I play them vidya gaymes.

@ Ferneezy, I know no one can give my a clear cut answer to the question, I just wanted opinions.

Anyone have any idea of what I should do differently next time?

I'd apply this cycle and also plan on retaking this summer. Perhaps an early application/killer application helps your case out. And since you seem to comprehend the material well, prepping for a retake shouldn't take too long.

Did you take your practice tests under test circumstances? I'd try to replicate the exam as much as possible. Do Achiever as if you were taking the real DAT. IE in a library or quiet place, with no distractions, and use the same scratch paper/rules as the real thing. That should be the best prep

Hello everyone, I've been a longtime lurker and I just took my DAT recently.

Perceptual Ability - 18
Quantitative Reasoning - 17
Reading Comprehension - 18
Biology - 19
General Chemistry - 18
Organic Chemistry - 16
Total Science - 18
Academic Average - 18

I know I'll probably have to retake the exam but the reason I'm posting is, I honestly have no idea how to improve (except QR. I just didn't study for it.) I took the 2009 DAT Exam prior to my exam and these were my results (using the 2007 score sheet):

Perceptual Ability - 21 (75/90)
Quantitative Reasoning - 18 (25/40)
Reading Comprehension - 19 (just ball-parking I have no idea how to grade this)
Biology - 20 (30/40)
General Chemistry - 25 (29/30)
Organic Chemistry - 21 (26/30)

(didn't calc TS / AA)

I went through destroyer and consistently got 75-90% of the questions correct (excluding BIO which I didn't do.) I can blow through chad's quizzes like clockwork, I consistently scored 21+ on Crack the DAT, I averaged 20-21 on qvault BIO. I got 23+ on each section provided in the DAT Bootcamp (didn't do QR.) Needless to say, I'm at odds to how I scored what I did; especially considering I scored well on literally everything. I don't know if I just got royally dicked in terms of DAT versions or whatever but I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Just for the funsies, I don't suppose a 3.75 oGPA / 3.6 sGPA / 3.8 BCP GPA could overcome these trashy scores?

Any suggestions / input is kindly appreciated.

Wow dude. the same thing happened to me. Did you get nervous during the test? That's what happened to me. I scored 21aa with 20 ts on topscore and only got 19aa/ts on the real test. The highest I got on qvault bio was 19 and 18 for CDP. Nevertheless I still got 18 on pat and 18 on bio. How many times did you watch chad's? I feel like doing his quizzes multiple times don't really help and understanding the concepts are much more important. I got 20 in chem and 21 and orgo and those are the two that saved me.

Honestly I don't know what to tell you. You have a great GPA and your DAT is still within the range of some schools. If you are just looking to get in, I am sure with 20+ schools, you will end up somewhere.

This is surprising. Usually I find a lot of people did worse on practice exams, including myself. Id just retake it. You are obviously smarter than what your scores show.

The 2009 DAT uses a different scale, which I guess they don't release anymore for some reason. I converted your scores using my 2009 exam, they're just a little different:
PAT-21
QR-16
Bio-19
GC-26
OC-21
AA-20

The 2009 test was pretty accurate except for your chemistry scores. Did you have trouble with the content behind the questions, or were the questions just hard?

I highly recommend taking full length practice exams before your next test to build up your endurance. Going through 30 questions in 30 minute chunks is easy when you're always fresh. It's not like playing video games for 5 hours, taking the DAT is exhausting.

I think you could definitely do better on a retake, you obviously know your chemistry and have a strong GPA.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll try to do what you said and replicate test conditions so that I'm more prepared for the retake.

Do you think I should send in my app as soon as this cycle opens up or should I wait for my new DAT scores?

@GatorD to be honest, I don't really remember anything in particular from the exam. It's kinda one big blur. I do remember seeing quite a few questions that I haven't encountered before which I believe is what mainly dictated my chemistry scores.

Any opinions on whether or not I should send in my app as soon as this cycle opens up or should I wait for my new DAT scores?

You should check with a prehealth advisor, but I think you can apply and state that you are going to retake the DAT at a later date. That way your application will be finished and submitted early, but the schools won't review your application until all of your DAT scores come in. But again, check with an advisor first.