Help! I’m so scared :/ 14AA/14TS/17PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ivanberemski

Reaction score
DAT Breakdown (8/18/23, Today)

PAT 17
QR 14
RC 17
BIO 15
GC 12
OC 12
TS 14
AA 14

Stats:
3.63 Total
3.54 Science
Good committee letter
Strong Personal Statement
Hundreds of dental related work, volunteering and hundreds of shadowing.

Took my 1st attempt today and I failed. I’m so utterly upset with myself. I used bootcamp and my total averages for the 3 practice tests I took were 16-17 AA. Don’t know why I didn’t reschedule. Anyway, enough feeling bad for myself.

Obviously I need to retake. How should I go about doing that? I think it’s 60 days later so around OCT 18th depending on availability. Do I need to wait for this ADA application eligibility to expire?

I applied to 11 schools: Oregon Health & Science University (In state/Dream School), UW, UCLA, USC, UCSF, Pacific, Lima Linda, Western, ASDOH, MW-AZ, UNLV. My AADSAS, Letters of rec, secondaries, and transcripts are in. The only thing that was needed was my DAT sent in. Should I email every school that this score I sent a true reflection of me and include the retake date and tell them to wait? All of my schools have deadlines between Nov-Jan.
IMG_4516.jpg

Should I take a gap year? I would like to avoid this and apply this cycle, just need to rethink my DAT plan and hopefully let my schools know. Maybe try booster and Anki instead of just bootcamp?

Just concerned on how go forward, if I could get some guidance, I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would consider taking a gap year so you can focus on the DAT. I’d be worried that if you try to take it before deadlines it’ll be too rushed and you’ll risk getting a low score again, you only get three chances to take it so I wouldn’t risk it. The only issue is you spent a lot of money applying to 11 schools so it’s a tough situation to be in.

I used bootcamp and Kaplan, they are both good but I like Bootcamp better. I’ve heard a lot of good things about booster as well! I wish you the best take more time to study, you can take as long as you need to make sure you understand the material, it doesn’t have to be 3 months.

The more I think about it the more torn I am. You applied to a lot of schools and I’d hate to see it go to waste. If you start studying now and take it at the soonest date possible it might be worth it. That’s only if you are scoring like 24 on the practice tests, I don’t think it was the best decision to take it when you were scoring 17s. If the time comes and you aren’t scoring well I’d wait for sure and keep studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not fall for the sunk cost fallacy. Ask your prehealth team. I think they may also agree you should take a break and focus on the DAT retake. You don't want to rush unless you were pulling 20s on your practice exams consistently in the two weeks before your test. That wasn't happening so I suggest you pause to focus on a very strong DAT result.

I am a bit late in responding but I agree with Mr.Smile12 , "pause to focus". I know your score was very disappointing but you are not the first nor be the last to retake the DAT Exam, so don't beat yourself up. You have an great GPA so give yourself credit for that achievement. It appears from your low science scores you may be lacking a solid foundation in the sciences. You might consider using your classroom textbooks or many resources available to help you build a stronger foundation. Take your time and don't take the exam again until you are fully prepared and are confident you will score high on the exam.

Just my 2 cents.

Wishing you the best.....Nancy, co/owner, DAT Destroyers

Reactions: 1 users