0-6 Pharmacy program chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zZMarshallZz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the fall, I am planning on applying for 0-6 programs at:
MCPHS
USP
I have a 3.3 gpa (Weighted/ Unweighted about the same). It is that low because in my sophomore year, my uncle passed away and I got a 2.7, but my freshman and junior years I got 3.5 and 3.7 respectively. I also have a 1400 on the SAT. Do I even have a shot at these programs?

Members don't see this ad.

All my classes are honors, and in my junior year I took AP World and AP Economics. In my senior year I will be taking AP Biology and AP Statistics.

I would be sure to work in a pharmacy before going to pharmacy school, just to make sure that the profession is absolutely for you before you take out $200k+ in loans. The job market is terrible and getting worse each year as more new pharmacy schools graduate their first classes.

There are other professions, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, etc. that offer better job prospects and better work environment without you having to take out an astronomical amount of loans.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dude don't it, I've been really considering my options. I been doing my own personal research and the field doesn't seem to be doing well at all

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

MCPHS is a joke. They'll take anyone who can pay. But they will often force you to enter as a 2nd year to bleed one extra year of tuition out of you.

Pharmacy is for ill-informed students, desperate students who can't get into any other healthcare schools.

Pharmacy is for ill-informed students, desperate students who can't get into any other healthcare schools.

There was another guy on this forum who went to speak to pharmacists and that prompted me to do the same. I only met with one so far and he told me what you said along similar lines. This is very depressing....

There was another guy on this forum who went to speak to pharmacists and that prompted me to do the same. I only met with one so far and he told me what you said along similar lines. This is very depressing....

One of my friends graduated 2 years ago and had to work as a volunteer for one year first, got paid from $0-$35/h in San Francisco then she got a job there finally. Rent here is $2800/month.
Another friend just graduated and went for residency because she couldn't find a job where she wanted to live.
A pharmacist who is my friend's sister works in Fresno and says that at her place there are so many applications for one position.

A pharmacist who is my friend's sister works in Fresno and says that at her place there are so many applications for one position.

So much for being able to find jobs in undesirable areas when even the so-called "armpit" of California is completely saturated. I can't imagine how it will be when CHSU graduates its first class.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a recent graduate of MCP. The school itself has a bad reputation, but I only went because it was cheap and saved my parents money. In the end, I worked hard and came out on top w/ high success.

... Just know, you will not sleep. Okay maybe that's exaggerating but... MCP does accept everyone. However, those who are willing to work end up doing extremely well.

Good luck. The 6 years is a hell of a ride. And yes, I sacrificed (some) sleep for a lot of the things I did, and it paid off.