0+6 Programs with a low highschool GPA.

Started by njkid
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

njkid

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I'm completely new to this, but please help me. I am a rising senior high school student living in New Jersey. My ethnicity is Korean, but lived in Japan for almost 10 years, because of my father's job (missionary). I came to U.S when I enter 8th grade, and had many problems with my English classes. I am not a brilliant student, as you will see my stat, but I really tried my best. I also dropped about 1.0 GPA from soph to junior year. I think thats because I had trouble adapting to new school. Last thing I'll mention is that I am a state-level runner, and will prob run in college.

I'll be applying to couple:

- Albany College of Pharmacy
- Rutgers University
- St John's University
- University at Rhode Island
- University of Connecticut

Here are my stats with important courses:

Korean
New Jersey

Frosh grade (Connecticut)
No Honors with English as Second Language
GPA: 3.0

Soph grade (New Jersey)
Biology Honors (B-)
English I (D)
GPA: 2.0

Junior grade (New Jersey)
AP Biology (A-)
Spanish 2 Honors (B+)
Physics (A)
GPA: 3.5

Senior Year Schedule
English 4
AP Calculus AB
AP Chemistry
AP Physics B
US History 2
Spanish 3 Honors
PE/Health

SAT 1: 1800 (CR 550 M 700 W 550)

SAT 2:
Korean:800
Japanese:800
Biology:770
Chemistry:730

EC's
Varsity Cross Country 9, 10, 11, 12
Varsity Winter Track 9, 10, 11, 12
Varsity Outdoor Track 9, 10, 11, 12

Thank you for reading.
 
I read it & you're welcome. Now...do you have a question to ask or did you want a comment?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but you what exactly are you posting about - your odds of getting in, the wisdom of trying for those schools, the education you might receive from those schools???

You need to complete the thought that brought you to post. If your stats are all you wanted us to see - then you look like you've done a great job 👍

All the best!
 
sdn1977 said:
I read it & you're welcome. Now...do you have a question to ask or did you want a comment?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but you what exactly are you posting about - your odds of getting in, the wisdom of trying for those schools, the education you might receive from those schools???

You need to complete the thought that brought you to post. If your stats are all you wanted us to see - then you look like you've done a great job 👍

All the best!



lol Sdn
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to assume that you want opinions from us regarding on whether you will get in to the 6 yr. program or not. Your SAT II scores are remarkable and you improved steadily during your junior year, which is a big plus. Do extremely well on your senior yr...but i wish that you would re-take the SAT I test; it's not bad, but take it again. I've mentioned this to other people; Rutgers is very hard to get accepted and as for Univ. of RI/Conn, they usually accept in-state students. But give it a shot, anyways. You have a chance at albany or st. john's. I'll predict that you will get accepted to st. john's, but apply as soon as possible. Thousands of applicants will apply there. THOUSANDS.
 
luckyPharmD.stu said:
I'm going to assume that you want opinions from us regarding on whether you will get in to the 6 yr. program or not. Your SAT II scores are remarkable and you improved steadily during your junior year, which is a big plus. Do extremely well on your senior yr...but i wish that you would re-take the SAT I test; it's not bad, but take it again. I've mentioned this to other people; Rutgers is very hard to get accepted and as for Univ. of RI/Conn, they usually accept in-state students. But give it a shot, anyways. You have a chance at albany or st. john's. I'll predict that you will get accepted to st. john's, but apply as soon as possible. Thousands of applicants will apply there. THOUSANDS.

true thousands apply.


rutgers is hard to get in from what i have heard and so is st. johns
but your sat score is amazing. i know your gpa is kinda on the low side. most colleges pick people from the top of their class. but you never know. my advice is to try them all. and asap!
 
Thank you. I just wanted to ask my chances. Regarding my SAT I score, those 550's are after studying and studying, so i really dont think it will go up... maybe 600's and 750 in math. Is it that hard to get into Rutgers pharm, even though I'm in-state?

I have another question. Is it possible to just go to a normal undergrad university like Rutgers and transfer to pharm after 2 years?
 
If that was truly the question.....I'll give you my opinion on your stats. I think they'll not consider your Korean & Japanese SAT II scores - one is your native language & the other a language which you might have reasonably acquired during your years growing up. Combine that with a D in English.....doesn't look too good. You didn't tell us how you did in English your junior year. However, your Spanish class scores did well so you must have an ability for language. But...English is vital in this country.

Now for science....your SAT's & your class scores are fairly compatible. What does not look good is a high test grade & a low class grade. That means you may be a good memorizer, but you can't translate that information to a classroom setting (which in pharmacy school becomes a clinical setting).

You've left out your math grades which is also a vital part of doing well in pharmacy school.

Now...for your ec's - you have one note - track. It's good - you've shown that you can pursue one thing & do it well & consistently. But...what you haven't shown the admissions committee is anything that has to do with leadership, personal committment to helping others in some fashion, any indication you can participate with others (since track is not a team sport in the same sense basketball is for example).

Personally, if you were my child...I'd advise you to lessen up on the AP courses & try to develop yourself a bit more as an individual. Do you have any interest in school politics or academic honor societies which do charitable & volunteer activities. Are there opportunities within your school to mentor other immigrant students or tutor those in areas in which you excel. Are you involved in a church or civic group? If not...you might see if there are opportunities for high school students with the Red Cross or a Food Bank - which happen frequently in the fall. These activities will also show that you can communicate well in English, which may not have translated very well on your transcript.

That is only my opinion - so take it for what its worth.

Good luck & welcome to the US & to pharmacy!
 
Yup...it's that hard to get in to rutgers 6 yr. program. As for the 2 yr program, you're talking about the 2+4 program...here's how it works: first, you have to apply and get accepted to 2+4 program in camden or newark campus. It's a lot easier to get into that program, btw. If you're successful in the first two years, then you will go on to the professional phase (pharmacy school). However, I've heard many people did not make it; it's risky and you might jeopardize your future, according to many other people. Of course, I might be wrong. But if you go to Rutgers majoring in something else (i.e. undecided, biology, chemistry, etc) and then you apply for pharmacy school, then there is a ~5-10% chance of getting accepted; maybe even lower. In other words, apply for pharmacy NOW; either the 6 yr. or the 2+4 program.

-Just want to add something...every one of my high school classmates told me to avoid the camden campus at all cost.
 
luckyPharmD.stu said:
Yup...it's that hard to get in to rutgers 6 yr. program. As for the 2 yr program, you're talking about the 2+4 program...here's how it works: first, you have to apply and get accepted to 2+4 program in camden or newark campus. It's a lot easier to get into that program, btw. If you're successful in the first two years, then you will go on to the professional phase (pharmacy school). However, I've heard many people did not make it; it's risky and you might jeopardize your future, according to many other people. Of course, I might be wrong. But if you go to Rutgers majoring in something else (i.e. undecided, biology, chemistry, etc) and then you apply for pharmacy school, then there is a ~5-10% chance of getting accepted; maybe even lower. In other words, apply for pharmacy NOW; either the 6 yr. or the 2+4 program.
You mean 5-10% chance to rutgers pharm, or in general?

luckyPharmD.stu said:
-Just want to add something...every one of my high school classmates told me to avoid the camden campus at all cost.
That is what i heard as well... my friend, who goes to newark campus got shot as well... alright, i might try the 2+4. thanks guys.