0 interviews so far

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeanne d'Arc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent in my primary in May and Secondaries in June/Early July, to about 25 schools. Was wondering how the application cycle works since this is my first time. My stats are rather low, 499, 3.52c, 3.56s, and so I would want to say my MCAT is the reason I don't have an interview. I do not want to be anxious so I want to make a plan and get some advice.

At what point should I be concerned that I am getting no responses in this cycle? I will retake the MCAT but I do not want to start soon because I plan to take it in the spring. Do low stat applicants get put into a separate pile from high stat applicants and get interviewed? I applied to all the schools with near 500 MCAT but it seems that the people who are getting interviews have 507s and 511s (I don't get it since they have near a 500 average). If someone could explain how it works so I can quit being anxious and go work or prepare for an MCAT retake instead of wondering when my first interview will come if I even get any.

Members don't see this ad.

Be it for me, another low stat applicant, to give my thoughts but we are low on the pecking order UNLESS we have something else in our app that catches the attention of adcoms.

I wonder how many higher stat applicants that are competitive for MD apply DO for a safety net? Once they get MD acceptances, they’re out of the DO track. And this would make sense why the DO app timeline is longer. Maybe.

Regardless, know you’re not alone and I’m rooting hard for you!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I sent in my primary in May and Secondaries in June/Early July, to about 25 schools. Was wondering how the application cycle works since this is my first time. My stats are rather low, 499, 3.52c, 3.56s, and so I would want to say my MCAT is the reason I don't have an interview. I do not want to be anxious so I want to make a plan and get some advice.

At what point should I be concerned that I am getting no responses in this cycle? I will retake the MCAT but I do not want to start soon because I plan to take it in the spring. Do low stat applicants get put into a separate pile from high stat applicants and get interviewed? I applied to all the schools with near 500 MCAT but it seems that the people who are getting interviews have 507s and 511s (I don't get it since they have near a 500 average). If someone could explain how it works so I can quit being anxious and go work or prepare for an MCAT retake instead of wondering when my first interview will come if I even get any.

Can you dm me your school list? I think I can help

I think you'll catch something in the later months as long as your app was broad enough and you avoided the "higher avg" schools

Be concerned around December.
This. I have a LizzyM of 65-66ish and haven't heard anything yet either. Relax, it's still early in the cycle (expect II's around September-November). Remember that the whole process is also delayed due to COVID. Stay positive and trust in your hard work. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Applied two cycles ago, had pretty much the same gpa and 496 mcat. Applied in October, got my first interview invite in mid-february and two more mid-march.

Now, Im a medical student. Be patient, fam.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
i have low MCAT too. Not my turn yet either ...

Applied two cycles ago, had pretty much the same gpa and 496 mcat. Applied in October, got my first interview invite in mid-february and two more mid-march.

Mind sharing what schools called you up?

You’re at the bottom of the pile because of your MCAT score, so you might have to wait a while before schools start looking at your application.

@Goro liked this, but chewed me out for telling a pre-med to apply to loads of DO schools with a 497 MCAT...
Don't do me like that Gorooo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applause his/her success, but they are also an outlier.
@hungrydoc710
Two years ago, Goro told me not to even apply if that makes you feel better.
Goro is full of insight and isnt usually too far off base, ever lol

It's way to early in the cycle yet, people who got a DO school II are high stats DO or low stats MD applicant. It only make sense to interview these because looking at stats is the fastest and easiest way to select applicants from a pool.

That being said, lower stats applicants are typically interviewed later in the cycle, if you didn't get anything at all, not even a "hold list" email, then you should poke them to express your intent and interest

499 mcat and 3.3 science gpa...I feel you, I'm hoping for the best in September. Also, I feel like interviews have been delayed cuz of covid 19. im super anxious but im hoping for the best

Good to know there are many completely rubbish mcat scorers like myself here.

• Haha
This. I have a LizzyM of 65-66ish and haven't heard anything yet either. Relax, it's still early in the cycle (expect II's around September-November). Remember that the whole process is also delayed due to COVID. Stay positive and trust in your hard work. Good luck!
I have LM 73 traditional applicant complete 7/8 to 8/1 . One MD interview set . Silent on DO

Not sure your thought process when you applied with that MCAT which in the 44th percentile. This could also be a consideration as to why interviews are not coming in. Your judgement coming into question. Also, there are many applications with better grades and MCAT scores. You can take a chance and hope you will be an outlier and get in. If you dont, then you are a re applicant and have to carry that baggage. As a re applicant, your have to make significant improvements to your app or otherwise the outcome will be the same. Some people are admitted with your stats, but they are quite often in our lower quartile with course failures, board failures, and remediations. All red flags on residency apps. Something to consider. Good luck and best wishes.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Not sure your thought process when you applied with that MCAT which in the 44th percentile. This could also be a consideration as to why interviews are not coming in. Your judgement coming into question. Also, there are many applications with better grades and MCAT scores. You can take a chance and hope you will be an outlier and get in. If you dont, then you are a re applicant and have to carry that baggage. As a re applicant, your have to make significant improvements to your app or otherwise the outcome will be the same. Some people are admitted with your stats, but they are quite often in our lower quartile with course failures, board failures, and remediations. All red flags on residency apps. Something to consider. Good luck and best wishes.

Thank you for your candor.

My question is response would be what shows up in an “Outlier” applicant’s application that gets them the coveted admit? Do you find applicants who completed an SMP fall in the same category?

1. Non trads with life experience, often military, elite atheletes, 2nd careers, pharmacists, leadership positions, etc.

2. SMP, not necessarily. Our SMP is quite difficult, and many don't end up with an acceptance due to their performance. If they make the grade, they do very well in first year. Our PhD's love them.
Sorry if I was blunt.

1. Non trads with life experience, often military, elite atheletes, 2nd careers, pharmacists, leadership positions, etc.

2. SMP, not necessarily. Our SMP is quite difficult, and many don't end up with an acceptance due to their performance. If they make the grade, they do very well in first year. Our PhD's love them.
Sorry if I was blunt.

Appreciate the info. Thank you.

Sorry if I was blunt.
That's great info. I thought my no tradition life and careers were burdens

Status update: I am at 4 interviews. Be patient and be honest with those essays. I am beyond crying, but I hope this post motivates some people. Thank you @Goro and @Angus Avagadro for the advice, I plan to retake the MCAT and take a gap year if I get no acceptances.

Reactions: 2 users
Status update: I am at 4 interviews. Be patient and be honest with those essays. I am beyond crying, but I hope this post motivates some people. Thank you @Goro and @Angus Avagadro for the advice, I plan to retake the MCAT and take a gap year if I get no acceptances.
What?? You have 4 interviews? That's great! Congrats! Good luck and best wishes! Let us know if you are accepted.

That's incredible. I'm still waiting for interviews invites...

What?? You have 4 interviews? That's great! Congrats! Good luck and best wishes! Let us know if you are accepted.
I shouldn't have made this post, I spoke too soon but 2 of the schools have an MCAT average 5 points higher than me, so I must have touched their mission. But still, thank you for your earnest advice, I will make that my plan B in case things fall apart. And @stormking just keep being patient, apparently, this is the key. But I guess also to be safe have a plan B in case things fail.

I shouldn't have made this post, I spoke too soon but 2 of the schools have an MCAT average 5 points higher than me, so I must have touched their mission. But still, thank you for your earnest advice, I will make that my plan B in case things fall apart. And @stormking just keep being patient, apparently, this is the key. But I guess also to be safe have a plan B in case things fail.
3.5/3.3 and 499 mcat with only 1 interview (kinda) to ICOM. Reall hoping to get more coming soon.

PenState PA schools have average MCAT of 506.

• Wow
PenState PA schools have average MCAT of 506.

Entering class of 2020 has MCAT avg of 508, 2018 has avg of 515. Good luck working with any PA grad from the program, the moment you brought up the fact that they are PAs they will throw these MCAT avgs in your doctor face lmao.

My future daughter in law is a PA and is certainly smart enough to be an MD. She didn't want the debt or hassle and is very happy as a PA on the trauma service at a level 1 center.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
That makes sense. I thought the PA program require an MCAT score to be admitted.

I was verified in July, got an invite in November and two in February. Obviously it’s better to get them earlier but it’s common (atleast for me) to get invites out of the blue way after you were complete. Think of a reapp if you don’t get anything by November/December.