.05 difference in GPA - significant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I....

• Take courses in the spring to boost the GPA to a 3.4. Study for MCAT as well.

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • .05 won't matter. Take the 3.35, and invest all time into the MCAT during the spring.

Votes: 34 54.0%

• Total voters

RBC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since my last attempt asking this question failed miserably, I will try one last time.

-Expecting to graduate this fall with a 3.35.
-Have yet to take the MCAT.
-Want to apply this upcoming spring.

^^ Poll.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd take some classes in addition to studying for the MCAT. It makes it look like you were actually doing something in addition to studying. Perhaps complete a minor, if possible?

I'd take some classes in addition to studying for the MCAT.

Well, I do work and volunteer at the hospital, with both experiences providing the best patient contact a pre-med could possibly get. I will be continuing both into next spring as well.

Even with those two activities, I could still invest a lot of time and energy into the MCAT. With 8-10 credits of course work thrown in to get that 3.4, MCAT study time would be reduced.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I do work and volunteer at the hospital, with both experiences providing the best patient contact a pre-med could possibly get. I will be continuing both into next spring as well.

Even with those to activities, I could still invest a lot of time and energy into the MCAT. With 8-10 credits of course work thrown in to get that 3.4, MCAT study time would be reduced.

I see, I didn't realize that. Well as long as you're busy doing relevant things, I think a few extra points on the MCAT is worth more than a .05 increase in your gpa. You really want to hit the MCAT hard, so if you feel you'd be better prepared having already graduated, do that.

if it was changing from a 3.30 to a 3.35 i would say it doesn't make a difference, because they basically look the same. BUT it looks significantly different that you would change from a 3. 35 to a 3.40

It may just be me, but i think it makes a difference in you case. (this is assuming that you will be able to pull off the grade change.)

You also want to keep in mind, your GPA can actually go down. But if you're sure you can bring it up, I would take the spring semester rather than graduating this fall.

You also want to keep in mind, your GPA can actually go down. But if you're sure you can bring it up, I would take the spring semester rather than graduating this fall.

Well, I would still be be graduating this fall - I would just do a non degree oriented post-bacc in the spring.

say if u took courses and got your gpa up to a 3.4 and got a 32 on your mcat... it would look like just about any applicant maybe a little less w/ the gpa, but nevertheless there is still possibility for you to get into a school.

however say if u studied more for the mcat (and this is just purely on the basis of if you study and dedicate more time, you will get a better score which is not always true, lol don't always go by this!) you might get maybe 2 points higher or there is a possibility of getting even more points.

so now you are at 3.35 and a 34.

Now according to the LIZZY M scoring system, your gpa times 10 + mcat = lizzy M score.

1st option = you would have 34+32 = 66
2nd option = 33.5+34 = 67.5

statistically you will have a better chance with the second option.

therefore, it really depends on how well you do on the mcat. the MCAT is very highly weighted towards your application.

so...KILL the MCAT and you wont have a very big dilemma! :)

now all of this is on the basis of guessing and i may be wrong so please feel free to correct me on this logic of thinking...this is the way i feel about it..which by the way i am not going to say is a 100% correct because there will be other factors that will dependent on you getting into medical school.

You could try taking some courses that will benefit the MCAT (A&P or Genetics comes to mind, if you think you can ace either of them) or even a review of a course you already took (perhaps retake a pre-req course that is hurting your GPA). Overall, though, I'd say your MCAT is more critical at this pt. If you kill the MCAT, a 3.35 isn't really going to ruin your chances but the (relatively) petty gain from 3.35 to 3.4 is DEFINITELY not worth losing 2-5 points on the MCAT over!

More importantly, what's your cumulative GPA for the year? And will it make a more significant impact on exhibiting that upward trend?

I vote for taking MCAT-related classes provided you can still average ~2 hours of dedicated MCAT studying time a day.

MCAT is much more important . if you taking classes are going to hinder you from studying, then I strongly advise against it. I would try to beast the MCAT (>32). If you do that, then no one will say anything about your gpa because your mcat score will be highly competitive. You

MCAT is much more important . if you taking classes are going to hinder you from studying, then I strongly advise against it. I would try to beast the MCAT (>32). If you do that, then no one will say anything about your gpa because your mcat score will be highly competitive. You

go on.:D

you're not going to get THAT much more out of studying for the MCAT if you concentrate 100% on it than if you take courses with it. do you really expect to study MCAT 8-10 hrs/day for several months? you need something (e.g. school) to balance out your brain. and why not improve your gpa while you're at it? 3.35 vs. 3.4 can be a dealbreaker... a 3.8 and 3.85 isn't as big of a deal though