'05 Education Major (2.99 GPA) Going to CC for Sciences.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pkerce

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my undergraduate work I only had to take ONE science course. So I took the normal BIO class. Anyways, that was my senior year, and I've been working countless random jobs since then. I've been trying to decide on a science or medical career to go into since I'm partial to the sciences.

So,I just started back at a local community college and am taking the necessary prereq's for the only school of dentistry in SC (Medical University of SC). I've also been considering joining the Air National Guard to offset the cost a little bit.

So, my plan is to do very well over the next 1.5yrs to pull my GPA up (maybe 3.2 or 3.3, it's difficult to move it up when you have 100+hrs)

General Chemistry (Qualitative Analysis) 8 Organic Chemistry 8 Physics 8 Biology or Zoology 8 English 6 Mathematics 6 Science Electives (Microbiology, Biochemistry, Anatomy, Genetics, etc.)
I'm done with the math, english, 4hr bio, and 4hr sci elective

Anyways, I guess I'm mostly just introducing myself to the forum and looking for any advice I can find. I know I have a long way to go (currently 25 years old) and it's very intimidating.

Members don't see this ad.

I started my journey to dental school at age 26 (now 30), so don't feel bad.

I would take a look at the requirements for the schools you would like to attend- many don't allow Community College credits, or restrict the number of science credits from a CC. CC credits aren't always bad, but some schools frown on them.

Be sure to check before you go all the way, or consider a 4-year university if you can afford it.

My advice... and it makes a BIG difference. DO NOT take your prereqs at a CC if you can avoid it. I took physics at a CC and it was no big deal, but dental schools are exceedingly competitive these days and CC credits do NOT look as good as 4 yr college credits. CC classes are known to be easier as a rule and so if you received a B or C in CC level chemistry, it won't look very good. I have heard this OVER and OVER and OVER again. I am not exaggerating and I am not kidding you. Call individual schools to check, but in my opinion, you are severely limiting your chances if you take CC medical related science courses like bio, chem, o chem. With a mediocre GPA which now seems to be anything below a 3.4, you can't be choosy. May sound unreasonable, but if you do some research, you will come upon the same conclusion. It is likely unless you have a very accepting state school that you will have to apply to about 10 to make it into 1 even with decent DAT scores with a GPA like what you hope to bring it up to. The average enrollee GPA overall is above a 3.5. Good luck to you.

I also started dental school at 27 (after getting an MS at 24 and working in cancer research for 3 years after).

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice... and it makes a BIG difference. DO NOT take your prereqs at a CC if you can avoid it. I took physics at a CC and it was no big deal, but dental schools are exceedingly competitive these days and CC credits do NOT look as good as 4 yr college credits. CC classes are known to be easier as a rule and so if you received a B or C in CC level chemistry, it won't look very good. I have heard this OVER and OVER and OVER again. I am not exaggerating and I am not kidding you. Call individual schools to check, but in my opinion, you are severely limiting your chances if you take CC medical related science courses like bio, chem, o chem. With a mediocre GPA which now seems to be anything below a 3.4, you can't be choosy. May sound unreasonable, but if you do some research, you will come upon the same conclusion. It is likely unless you have a very accepting state school that you will have to apply to about 10 to make it into 1 even with decent DAT scores with a GPA like what you hope to bring it up to. The average enrollee GPA overall is above a 3.5. Good luck to you.

I also started dental school at 27 (after getting an MS at 24 and working in cancer research for 3 years after).

I completely agree.

If you HAVE to take prereqs at a CC, it is best that you back it up by taking a few upperdivision science courses at an university.

Hmm. Thanks for the advice guys. I haven't contacted the admissions department yet. I'm sure my GPA from now on will be above a 3.5. (I've never really worked very hard in school before)

Next step is to contact admissions and get their advice I suppose.

I completely agree.

If you HAVE to take prereqs at a CC, it is best that you back it up by taking a few upperdivision science courses at an university.

Once again, jigabodo is on the money with good insight. Word of advice though, don't call him jigaboo. (saw it on another thread and he was pissed) :D

welcome pkerce!!! good luck with everything :)

I completely agree.

maybe this is somewhat off topic, but will the schools take your financial situation into consideration? 'cause i know for a fact that if it wasnt for CC i probably would not have my BS right now lol

Here's some advice building on what jigabodo had said...why don't you take SOME of the pre-reqs at a CC, like the lower-division BIO, maybe chem 1 and 2, your math classes, and your writing pre-req. Why don't you think apply at a near by 4-year university as a non-degree student and take the harder classes that carry a little more weight like orgo, upper level bio classes, and possibly physics. Just an idea. Good luck and welcome to the forum.