This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Parker| Predental

Reaction score
Hi,

So I recently graduated undergrad with a 2.7 GPA, I had lots of issues in life happening which resulted in that. I want to go Dental but I’m not sure where to start.

Should I go to CC, Masters Program, or Post-bacc program to get both pre-reqs and a higher GPA?

If you have ANY advice at all please let me know! Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure a post bacc would help in bringing your GPA above a 3.0, but it might be what you have to do to try and get into an SMP. I don't think an SMP would let you in until you break a 3.0 or have a very successful post-bacc. They're also high risk-high reward, do well, it could help you tremendously, do poorly, and you're chances are now closer to zero.

You've unfortunately buried yourself into a hole, so it will take some time to climb out. How was your GPA year-by-year? Do you have any upward trends? What's your timeline for applying?

CC would be if you need to do prereqs, but considering your GPA is low, you need to repair it first to get some love from schools. Most schools have a science GPA cutoff of around 3.0. Some might dip around 2.9. But you'll want to try and get it up to prove to schools you'll be able to handle the courseload

Have you spoken to your pre-health student resource center at your university?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure a post bacc would help in bringing your GPA above a 3.0, but it might be what you have to do to try and get into an SMP. I don't think an SMP would let you in until you break a 3.0 or have a very successful post-bacc. They're also high risk-high reward, do well, it could help you tremendously, do poorly, and you're chances are now closer to zero.

You've unfortunately buried yourself into a hole, so it will take some time to climb out. How was your GPA year-by-year? Do you have any upward trends? What's your timeline for applying?

CC would be if you need to do prereqs, but considering your GPA is low, you need to repair it first to get some love from schools. Most schools have a science GPA cutoff of around 3.0. Some might dip around 2.9. But you'll want to try and get it up to prove to schools you'll be able to handle the courseload

Have you spoken to your pre-health student resource center at your university?
I have yet to speak to anyone professional about this since I recently graduated.

Members don't see this ad :)
First things first. How much shadowing have you done? Are you going to work as a dental assistant?

You say you had the wrong major without saying what you did major in. We don't know where you attended school or what the issues were. But before you start, I want to know how you made this decision to go dental.

First things first. How much shadowing have you done? Are you going to work as a dental assistant?

You say you had the wrong major without saying what you did major in. We don't know where you attended school or what the issues were. But before you start, I want to know how you made this decision to go dental.
So, I majored in psychology. I haven't done much Shadowing or assisting, max of 10 hours so far. I attended a private Institue (College of saint Benedict/ Saint John's University) so not a very known school by any means unless you're from Minnesota.

And I feel like to answer that question is a little long and detailed so if that's a true question you'd like to know please message me and I'll be glad to answer you, kind sir!

So, I majored in psychology. I haven't done much Shadowing or assisting, max of 10 hours so far. I attended a private Institue (College of saint Benedict/ Saint John's University) so not a very known school by any means unless you're from Minnesota.

And I feel like to answer that question is a little long and detailed so if that's a true question you'd like to know please message me and I'll be glad to answer you, kind sir!
There are no wrong majors, but there is strong preparation. You need to show you have done enough career exploration and discernment that dentistry is your desired path. This includes strong prerequisite and preferred coursework as well as experience in serving others and career observation. Your background is also key because connecting with patients is essential for dentists.

You could get into Mississippi College Medical Science program with that. Do it if you are willing to move there. I knew a lot of classmates in your shoes who showed up and proved themselves and got into med/dent school. Feel free to pm me with questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users