08/17/2019 Test Date - Need Cramming Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted989412

I just want a girl to succinate on my dehydrogenase ya

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of us are intelligent. Most of us have a background in science. Take a diagnostic test and evaluate where you are from there, but you have to respect the MCAT. You cannot cram for it and expect to do well. You realistically need to study 40-50 hours per point that you want to improve.

Start with a diagnostic test and work on your weaknesses. Try to get through all of the AAMC materials before you test date.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, but I personally wouldn't waste a day taking a diagnostic exam at this point since you're short on time. There is no exam that is comprehensive enough to truly show all of your strengths or weaknesses, so I don't think it's worth spending time to do one in your position.

Work through all of the aamc material and use that to guide you study. Schedule out each day and what you need to get done right now so you can ensure you fit it all in. Use khan academy for psychology and memorize every term presented. Any concept that presented multiple times in the AAMC needs to be deeply understood.

Even if you do all of this, getting a 515+ is not guaranteed at all. Typically it takes a few months of improvement and learning over time to get to that level. The exam has shifted from just rote memorization to more analysis and it takes a lot of time typically to learn these analysis skills, so that's why it's difficult to get to this level in such a short time period. I wouldn't discourage you from trying, but as you get close to the exam, if you aren't particularly close to your goal score, I would potentially think about postponing the exam.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, but I personally wouldn't waste a day taking a diagnostic exam at this point since you're short on time. There is no exam that is comprehensive enough to truly show all of your strengths or weaknesses, so I don't think it's worth spending time to do one in your position.

Work through all of the aamc material and use that to guide you study. Schedule out each day and what you need to get done right now so you can ensure you fit it all in. Use khan academy for psychology and memorize every term presented. Any concept that presented multiple times in the AAMC needs to be deeply understood.

Even if you do all of this, getting a 515+ is not guaranteed at all. Typically it takes a few months of improvement and learning over time to get to that level. The exam has shifted from just rote memorization to more analysis and it takes a lot of time typically to learn these analysis skills, so that's why it's difficult to get to this level in such a short time period. I wouldn't discourage you from trying, but as you get close to the exam, if you aren't particularly close to your goal score, I would potentially think about postponing the exam.

Thank you for the insightful advice. At this point, would you recommend going over all of the AAMC Question Packs and Section Banks and thoroughly understanding each of the solutions as a substitute for my content review (since I'm short on time) and then work on the AAMC FLs, which I plan to do towards the latter half of next week, or would it be better to look at Khan Academy Word Docs for each of the subjects, learn those in roughly 10-12 days, and then just do the 3 AAMC FLs before taking the real exam? I would leave enough time to review each of the AAMC FLs as well.

Thank you for the insightful advice. At this point, would you recommend going over all of the AAMC Question Packs and Section Banks and thoroughly understanding each of the solutions as a substitute for my content review (since I'm short on time) and then work on the AAMC FLs, which I plan to do towards the latter half of next week, or would it be better to look at Khan Academy Word Docs for each of the subjects, learn those in roughly 10-12 days, and then just do the 3 AAMC FLs before taking the real exam? I would leave enough time to review each of the AAMC FLs as well.

Do all of the AAMC questions. Base your study around that. If you run into something that you don't know enough about then use KA or a study book. Space out your FLs and use those as a guide as well. You can even make the AAMC questions into mini practice exams. That's what I did and it was beneficial.

Reactions: 1 users

I think the first method is better based on time constraints and then look at overview documents like from khan academy or other sources to hopefully fill in the gaps not covered by aamc.

Status
Not open for further replies.