09/13/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
13-ps
12-bs
10-vr
0-ws
350 over all...writing could've been better, but i'm not complaining

Members don't see this ad :)
i kinda bombed mine. 13P - 6V - 11B - Q. I was aiming for 35-36 and I was actually getting about the same on my practice tests. I was getting 9s and 10s on verbal. I really dont know what happened. I feel stupid. I'm gonna retake it in January. The thought of going through all that stuff again is already killing me. Congrats to all of u guys for getting amazing scores. wish me luck

OMG I got 9 in verbal, English is my second language, getting 9 in verbal was my dream, my MCAT history for all of the people who are sad and think they can not do anything, please dont lose hope and dont listen to losers that they tell u you can not do anything:
2006: 9/9/2(VR)K
2007: 10/11/6 (N)
2008july:12/12/8P
2008 sep:10/10/9:love:Q
not so happy with BS and PS but man verballlllllllllllllllllllllllll, I spent 10 hours for 2 month to study verbal, hope to get interview some where, If englsih is ur first language and study like me for verbal , I promise to u u will get 15 in verbal
:hardy:

Dude what did you do for your verbal? English is my second language too and I freakin bombed it man. I really didnt study that much for it because i thought i was doin ok. I was gettin 9-10 on my practice tests. Gimme some advice man. Thanks

i kinda bombed mine. 13P - 6V - 11B - Q. I was aiming for 35-36 and I was actually getting about the same on my practice tests. I was getting 9s and 10s on verbal. I really dont know what happened. I feel stupid. I'm gonna retake it in January. The thought of going through all that stuff again is already killing me. Congrats to all of u guys for getting amazing scores. wish me luck
Good Luck! If you can get a 35/36, it'd be completely worth the retake.

I see you guys got your scores. Please contribute to this valuable thread. It is a poll asking you how your real score compared with your practice AAMC scores.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=561455

Its already up to more than 100 people. So it is the biggest poll/study ive seen yet of its kind. Please make it even bigger and answer the poll.

Here were my practice scores for the AAMCs:

Test PS VR BS Total
#9 12 9 10 31
#3 11 9 10 30
#4 11 9 8 28
#5 10 11 12 33
#6 10 10 10 30
#7 13 11 11 35
#8 11 10 12 33
#10 13 10 12 35

I felt that I had a strong upward trend going, and i was shooting for 35 on the real thing. But I actually got:

PS - 12
VR - 8
BS - 11

for a total of 31S. Wow, I never got an 8 on verbal on any of the AAMCs. I don't know what happened. I'm shocked that I did so poorly in verbal. I thought it was tough, but not that tough.

I'm really disappointed in my score, and I feel that the low score in verbal warrants a retake. I'm a CA resident, wants to go to CA schools (mainly UCs), 3.7 gpa, decent ECs. What do you guys think?

PS - 12
VR - 8
BS - 11

for a total of 31S. Wow, I never got an 8 on verbal on any of the AAMCs. I don't know what happened. I'm shocked that I did so poorly in verbal. I thought it was tough, but not that tough.

I'm really disappointed in my score, and I feel that the low score in verbal warrants a retake. I'm a CA resident, wants to go to CA schools (mainly UCs), 3.7 gpa, decent ECs. What do you guys think?

Your situation is like mine, i.e. disappointed by the verbal score, same total score of 31, and CA resident.

We might have to retake it if the goal is CA schools, but I also want to hear from other people.

Your situation is like mine, i.e. disappointed by the verbal score, same total score of 31, and CA resident.

We might have to retake it if the goal is CA schools, but I also want to hear from other people.
Dang even our breakdown is the same. But yeah if we want to go to CA schools, i'm pretty sure we have to retake, especially with the low VR scores. I just want to hear what other people think, too.

Just thinking about retaking this monster is making me sick. Argh...

Dude what did you do for your verbal? English is my second language too and I freakin bombed it man. I really didnt study that much for it because i thought i was doin ok. I was gettin 9-10 on my practice tests. Gimme some advice man. Thanks

hey thanks, practices verbal so much that I rewrote all the practice test for 6 times, if u wanna write mcat in january , dont take ANY course, study full time MCAt, start ur day with reading for 1 hour magazine such as New yorker, the economist etc, then start practice passage with 6 min only, prcatice with this time for 3weeks then switch to 8.50 min, leave ur AAMC(7,8,9,10) test for1weeks before actual test, and do the rest in the begining and middle of prepration period, prcatice anything possible, kaplan, princeton, examkaraker, anything

DONT TELL ur freindzzzzzzz wut u got in this test, people tell stupid stuff and stories about second language people who are unable to pass this test, my so called freind when I got 2 and she got 10 in her verbal told me that it is better if I forget about mcat, yep people are......., she got into u of t but she is bitch I am sure she will be not agood doctor :smuggrin:, just dont tell anyone about ur verbal score and tell ur self that u can do this, practice everyday for 10 hours dont become happy with 9-10 in practice test, since practice test is not REAL, good luck:luck:

Tell me about it. I was ready to burn these EK books. For real, I am not kidding.

I am not dead set on attending CA schools, but I hear that out-of-state students have difficulty getting accepted into state schools. Maybe it's time to change residency? :p

Here were my practice scores for the AAMCs:

Test PS VR BS Total
#9 12 9 10 31
#3 11 9 10 30
#4 11 9 8 28
#5 10 11 12 33
#6 10 10 10 30
#7 13 11 11 35
#8 11 10 12 33
#10 13 10 12 35

I felt that I had a strong upward trend going, and i was shooting for 35 on the real thing. But I actually got:

PS - 12
VR - 8
BS - 11

Well, UC schools are difficult...really, really difficult. But I don't know. Your GPA is good. I think that the UCs really focus on ECs. I have a friend with a 30 who got into UCSF last year. Why? Because he had AMAZING ECs. I think that's true of all but UCSD (that school focuses more on numbers). I'm guessing that a 31 would be enough to get you into a UC, but it would still be a huge risk. Sorry, I can't give you a definite answer...but it's a hard decision to make.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell me about it. I was ready to burn these EK books. For real, I am not kidding.

I am not dead set on attending CA schools, but I hear that out-of-state students have difficulty getting accepted into state schools. Maybe it's time to change residency? :p
Ohh with a 31, good gpa, and good ECS, you're practically guaranteed an OOS school...so don't worry about that. As long as you apply broadly, early, and make wise school choices, you should be fine. It's the UCs that are a little harder to get into.

Post deleted due to the message posted above this one. Thank you for the reply! :)

Well, UC schools are difficult...really, really difficult. But I don't know. Your GPA is good. I think that the UCs really focus on ECs. I have a friend with a 30 who got into UCSF last year. Why? Because he had AMAZING ECs. I think that's true of all but UCSD (that school focuses more on numbers). I'm guessing that a 31 would be enough to get you into a UC, but it would still be a huge risk. Sorry, I can't give you a definite answer...but it's a hard decision to make.
Thanks jgberken. I know, the decision is tough already and I'm not quite sure what to do. I'm not too worried about OOS schools, but I want to give myself the best chance possible to stay here in CA, especially the UCs.

Any thoughts on my practice scores? Do you feel that a retake is feasible, considering my upward trend in practice scores?

Congrats to got those who got their scores and are happy!
I did 2 points better than I hoped for, for a total of 32O (11 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS).
I'm soooo happy - like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders! I realize that this isn't a kick-ass score, but its more than good enough for my desired school, so I'm stoked!:)

Thanks jgberken. I know, the decision is tough already and I'm not quite sure what to do. I'm not too worried about OOS schools, but I want to give myself the best chance possible to stay here in CA, especially the UCs.

Any thoughts on my practice scores? Do you feel that a retake is feasible, considering my upward trend in practice scores?

Just my 2 cents: Since your latest 3 AAMC VR scores were 10 or 11, I think you stand a good chance of improving your verbal score.

Do you know why you scored low in verbal? Nervousness? If nothing comes up to mind readily, then chalk it up to bad luck.

So, if you continue your previous study efforts, unless another freak event takes place at the testing center, I think that you would score at the very least 9 in verbal. If you are determined in UC schools, even that 1 point increase might be worth the effort.

Whatever choice you take, best of luck!

P=14
V=11
B=13
Writing= R

I think the real thing is comparable to the AAMCs, however, the verbal passages were longer than the practices tests. As compared to Kaplan, Princeton, and EK, the AAMC were easier.

33S

PS:11
VR:11
BS:11

I'm pretty darn happy with my score overall. I was predicting 28-31 range. I thought PS was going to be worse (I kind of freaked during the test), but I thought my biology was going to be 13ish. I'm particularly pleased with VR, as that was my EK 1001 average score. Overall, I took 3 AAMC practice tests and scored 35, 32, 31. I hit a 33, dead smack in the middle of my practice test range. Hopefully 33 is enough nowadays to get a few looks from schools. Too bad the writing sample isn't weighted as heavily, because I killed that section (thanks liberal arts education!). Congrats to everyone on their scores, and for those that are disappointed, keep your heads up!

Just my 2 cents: Since your latest 3 AAMC VR scores were 10 or 11, I think you stand a good chance of improving your verbal score.

Do you know why you scored low in verbal? Nervousness? If nothing comes up to mind readily, then chalk it up to bad luck.

So, if you continue your previous study efforts, unless another freak event takes place at the testing center, I think that you would score at the very least 9 in verbal. If you are determined in UC schools, even that 1 point increase might be worth the effort.

Whatever choice you take, best of luck!
I didn't think it was nerves that much. It may have been the people who were typing away at their keyboards that may have been a distraction, but I think I just found verbal to be tougher than any other verbal section I have ever taken, but still doable. I don't really know what happened. I guess I'm pretty set on retaking it, but I'm just reluctant to take out my TPR and EK books again. I wanted to burn them like you!

But thanks for the advice Soba, and best of luck to you also if you choose to retake!

I thought I killed this one and was super confident I got mid in the mid 30s.

My score was 29M???????????

I am in disbelief but sent out my application anyway today.

Any comments?

Well...everyone thinks they could score higher if they retook, but if you go down, it's not good. It wouldn't kill your app, but it wouldn't be good. So you have to be completely committed to getting a higher score. Looking at your practice scores, you seem to be capable of getting a 33+, so I would go for it if I were you. Just really, really make sure you'll have a 2+ point increase in your retake with a 9+ in verbal, otherwise, it's not worth the retake.

It's a hard choice to make because a 31 is not at all a deal breaker for the UC schools, but it will make it harder for you to get in. I guess what I'm trying to say is...if you are really willing to study your arse off to get the higher score, go for it! Good luck and tell us what you decide!!! :)

I thought I killed this one and was super confident I got mid in the mid 30s.

My score was 29M???????????

I am in disbelief but sent out my application anyway today.

Any comments?
A 30 is not the magic number. Plenty of people get accepted with 29s! But, you have to be a little wiser in your apps. I wonder what schools you applied to? Applying late will not help...but it's still entirely possible you get accepted this cycle.

33S

PS:11
VR:11
BS:11

I'm pretty darn happy with my score overall. I was predicting 28-31 range. I thought PS was going to be worse (I kind of freaked during the test), but I thought my biology was going to be 13ish. I'm particularly pleased with VR, as that was my EK 1001 average score. Overall, I took 3 AAMC practice tests and scored 35, 32, 31. I hit a 33, dead smack in the middle of my practice test range. Hopefully 33 is enough nowadays to get a few looks from schools. Too bad the writing sample isn't weighted as heavily, because I killed that section (thanks liberal arts education!). Congrats to everyone on their scores, and for those that are disappointed, keep your heads up!
A well balanced 33S will get more than just a "few looks"
Congrats!!!

28 Q

V 10
P 9
B 9

i know i need to retake, 28 just isn't considered competitive these days....should I take a course???? I don't have much time (would have to retake early 2009) and im in slight panic mode :(

Hi,
My breakdown is 13 Physical, 11 Biology, and 8 Verbal. However I got an S on writing! For a total of 32S. I want to apply to a california school. Do you think that i should retake? I nearly got a perfect on writing, so I am thinking I could somehow justify my bad verbal score. Any thoughts?

28 Q

V 10
P 9
B 9

i know i need to retake, 28 just isn't considered competitive these days....should I take a course???? I don't have much time (would have to retake early 2009) and im in slight panic mode :(
A 28 should not set you into panic mode! A retake would probably be a fine move...although many have been accepted with a 28 or lower, so don't worry!!! You don't have to take a course. There have been people who've increased their scores from the high 20s to the high 30s. Bozz is probably the best example: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=499207&highlight=MCAT

Hi,
My breakdown is 13 Physical, 11 Biology, and 8 Verbal. However I got an S on writing! For a total of 32S. I want to apply to a california school. Do you think that i should retake? I nearly got a perfect on writing, so I am thinking I could somehow justify my bad verbal score. Any thoughts?

It depends on how far your 8V is out of your AAMC practices range. If your average AAMCs are at 11-13 I would suggest to retake otherwise Yes, S will balance your V.

Hi,
An 8 in verbal isn't too bad. Your situation is like pinoyunggoy...you can retake, although it's not at all necessary. How is the rest of your app? GPA? ECs? Do you think you can get a higher score if you retake? How were your practice test scores? And do you really want to go to a UC school, or is an OOS school fine for you?

Generally, people with good ECs, GPA, and MCAT score can get into a UC school, despite a low score in one section. Your MCAT score is only one small part of your whole application. If everything looks great, schools are not going to reject you based on one low section score...that would be ridiculous! But, if you have the time to retake and are willing to study all over again, there's really no reason not to retake. Just remember, your score must go up! If you're going to get the same score or lower with a retake, it's not worth the pain and the effort.

My gpa is 3.9+ at a top 25 university, a uc in california.

An 8 in verbal isn't too bad. Your situation is like pinoyunggoy...you can retake, although it's not at all necessary. How is the rest of your app? GPA? ECs? Do you think you can get a higher score if you retake? How were your practice test scores? And do you really want to go to a UC school, or is an OOS school fine for you?

Generally, people with good ECs, GPA, and MCAT score can get into a UC school, despite a low score in one section. Your MCAT score is only one small part of your whole application. If everything looks great, schools are not going to reject you based on one low section score...that would be ridiculous! But, if you have the time to retake and are willing to study all over again, there's really no reason not to retake. Just remember, your score must go up! If you're going to get the same score or lower with a retake, it's not worth the pain and the effort.

11P 10V 10B = 31Q

Hard to be truly disappointed, but I expected so much better. I was really shooting for a 35-36 (got 14P11V10B = 35 in Aug 2005) and felt like I didn't study as much as I possibly could have. My goal was to at least have the numbers to apply to top 15 schools, so I'm prob. going to retake in January/March.

Since I've burned through all the AAMC tests, I'm in desparate need of new practice material. Anyone recommend the Kaplan Online Course with their 11,000 questions? Are these questions good quality?

PS 10
VR 5
WS Q
BS 10
25Q

I have not idea what my problem is, I've taken the MCAT three times with verbal scores of 8, 5 , and 5. On the practice test I average 8's but can't reproduce that on the actual test. On the real test I am not able to even come close to finishing verbal (this past time around I didn't get to attempt 13 question!)

I don't get nervous, so I don't know what the problem is. How is it that on practice tests I am able to finish 36/40 questions and on the real MCAT I don't even get close to finishing.

PS 10
VR 5
WS Q
BS 10
25Q

I have not idea what my problem is, I've taken the MCAT three times with verbal scores of 8, 5 , and 5. On the practice test I average 8's but can't reproduce that on the actual test. On the real test I am not able to even come close to finishing verbal (this past time around I didn't get to attempt 13 question!)

I don't get nervous, so I don't know what the problem is. How is it that on practice tests I am able to finish 36/40 questions and on the real MCAT I don't even get close to finishing.
With those scores, you have a shot at DO schools. MD, not so much (although it's still possible). If you're interested in DO, I say you should apply...otherwise, you should retake and aim for a 9-10+ on verbal and a 30+ overall. And make sure that you get those scores!!!

Hey everyone. How do you guys feel about Kaplan, if any of you used it? I've talked to a few people and they've always told me it was a waste of time, but after my 24 on the 09/12 MCAT, I feel as though I have to do something different.

P=14
V=11
B=13
Writing= R

I think the real thing is comparable to the AAMCs, however, the verbal passages were longer than the practices tests. As compared to Kaplan, Princeton, and EK, the AAMC were easier.

You'll get in this year. :D

3 interviews so far is pretty good. I'm sure more will come your way. :D

I got my scores, and i actually did just as i was doing on my practice tests, and i am really happy (even though i thought i did a lot worse coming out of the test)... so - let it be known - have some hope!