1 Acceptance, many rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DBR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my second year applying and I have only gotten a few interviews and one acceptance out many schools even with decent numbers and ec's. I'm so relieved to be accepted finally. This process is such bull****. Ive watched so many people with relatively poor qualifications be accepted over me, but now I'm finally in.

Just remember to apply to a ****-load of schools if you want to make sure you get in kids.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on getting accepted!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my second year applying and I have only gotten a few interviews and one acceptance out many schools even with decent numbers and ec's. I'm so relieved to be accepted finally. This process is such bull****. Ive watched so many people with relatively poor qualifications be accepted over me, but now I'm finally in.

Just remember to apply to a ****-load of schools if you want to make sure you get in kids.
Stats please.

"I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people? "

lol jk. Congrats man!

It only takes one! Congrats your gonna be a doctor...don't worry about all the ridiculousness.....we all know its a cr*pshoot!

Medical school admissions is hardly a crapshoot. It's like the scene from Rounders, and I paraphrase: people think poker is about chance, but every year you see the same guys at the World Poker Championships.

Likewise, there are people who apply to a lot of schools and get very few interviews/acceptances. Others seem to get interview/acceptances from every school. There *is* an element of luck/chance, but I wouldn't blame your inability to convince the adcom why *you* should be a student at their school on the system being a crapshoot.

Medical school admissions is hardly a crapshoot. It's like the scene from Rounders, and I paraphrase: people think poker is about chance, but every year you see the same guys at the World Poker Championships.

Likewise, there are people who apply to a lot of schools and get very few interviews/acceptances. Others seem to get interview/acceptances from every school. There *is* an element of luck/chance, but I wouldn't blame your inability to convince the adcom why *you* should be a student at their school on the system being a crapshoot.

Back in the day of the World Poker tournaments, when there were only a small number of players, it was possible for top players to win the world title more than once - like Johnny Chan or Doyle Brunson. Nowadays with the sheer volume of players, the winner of the WSOP title is usually some random dude that no one's ever heard of. However, the most skilled players still advance very far in the tournament and often make it to the final table. There's certainly that element of skill involved in med school admissions as well - your MCAT scores, GPA, extracurrics, etc. But when the number of applicants is staggering, luck and randomness influences the outcome slightly.

So, what school accepted you?

No worries I feel the same way... but I have bad verbal score. Still I think I'm more qualified than a lot of other people...

Player 1 wins.

Good luck in med school!

Congratulations, DBR! I feel the same way sometimes (I'm in the same situation), but you never know exactly what qualities and experiences other applicants may have, even if you've seen a quick summary stats/EC list. Also, I think it takes some of us some practice at those interviews. :rolleyes:

Agreed, though, that the take-home messages are that the whole process is questionable and the best approach is to research your schools well and apply to way more than you think you need.

If it's not a crapshoot, there must then be some objective way of deciding who gets in and who doesn't. Of course, this isn't true beyond initial screening of applicants. But it would be cool to think that there is some giant formula that takes into account every thing the applicant has thrown on his/her application and assigns a numerical value and those with the ~350 highest scores at said school get in. That way we would know what we're up against.

Has anyone ever met a premed that thinks they aren't qualified?

Yes, actually...A girl in nearly all my classes who gets Cs in just about every class she takes is beginning to realize that she's up against some pretty stiff competition and probably won't be making it into medical school. Especially since the only way she gets those Cs are through a) instructor pity for her being so "academically-challenged" b) the lab component of most classes and c) has previously administered exams from the profs for the last 5 years and studies those as her main method of studying for an exam.

Has anyone ever met a premed that thinks they aren't qualified?

hah! funny. even if they deny it, it seems most people think they are really qualified and would be a good doctor. and i guess that's a good thing...

My point is that there is quite a bit of self selection in this process, and almost every premed will have at least one wtf moment when they feel someone less qualified gets in.