1 C - Acceptance Revoked?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RU1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm wondering if my acceptance can be taken away if I get a C in organic chemistry lab but still perform well in my other courses. I'm not sure if this varies by school, but specifically related to Boston University. From their statement provided below, it just says satisfactory completion so I assume that just means completing the classes. I'm not sure if anyone could provide input, because so far this semester, that's my main fear and it seems to be headed downhill! Haha. Thanks again!

Please note that this acceptance is provisional pending the satisfactory completion of all application requirements, required courses and submission of your final transcript indicating the date your bachelor's degree was conferred, as well as your Dean's certification and satisfactory outcome of the criminal background check. If you have completed your bachelor's degree and are currently enrolled in another degree program, this acceptance is provisional pending satisfactory completion of that program. You will receive email communication from Certiphi Screening, Inc. instructing you on how to initiate your background check. It is, of course, our expectation that you will maintain the level of academic and personal achievement that made you a compelling candidate for admission.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're OK...but not something to gamble on. I'd give your school a call and double check.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to really call and almost make the case that I'm aiming for a C. It seems like a weird situation to present to them when it hasn't happened, no?

I called when I knew i was gonna get a C fall quarter for another school and they thanked me for telling them early and keeping them informed

Look at it this way... .do you think a school will reject you in hopes that they can fill the spot and risk losing 50K for that year or do you think they will jus take you if you passed the course....I had this debate with someone. It is way too risky for them to decline you at that point UNLESS you absolutely sucked balls that semester and even still if you passed I can't see them revoking

Hey everyone. I'm wondering if my acceptance can be taken away if I get a C in organic chemistry lab but still perform well in my other courses. I'm not sure if this varies by school, but specifically related to Boston University. From their statement provided below, it just says satisfactory completion so I assume that just means completing the classes. I'm not sure if anyone could provide input, because so far this semester, that's my main fear and it seems to be headed downhill! Haha. Thanks again!

Please note that this acceptance is provisional pending the satisfactory completion of all application requirements, required courses and submission of your final transcript indicating the date your bachelor’s degree was conferred, as well as your Dean’s certification and satisfactory outcome of the criminal background check. If you have completed your bachelor’s degree and are currently enrolled in another degree program, this acceptance is provisional pending satisfactory completion of that program. You will receive email communication from Certiphi Screening, Inc. instructing you on how to initiate your background check. It is, of course, our expectation that you will maintain the level of academic and personal achievement that made you a compelling candidate for admission.

They can't revoke your acceptance because they don't "like" your grade. They can however revoke your acceptance if it causes you to fail to meet their requirements, which you should have known when applying. That info is usually easily accessible on the school's website. Most often it is "at least a C" for pre-reqs, so you will probably be fine. However, this usually makes C- unacceptable, so watch out for that.

Hahaha. The first post had me laughing, but it was very true. Thank you to Dan for clarifying this for me! I really appreciate it.

They can't revoke your acceptance because they don't "like" your grade. They can however revoke your acceptance if it causes you to fail to meet their requirements, which you should have known when applying. That info is usually easily accessible on the school's website. Most often it is "at least a C" for pre-reqs, so you will probably be fine. However, this usually makes C- unacceptable, so watch out for that.

They can rescind your acceptance for pretty much anything they want.

Remember remember the rescindment of November.

Can you please clarify what you mean?

schools can rescind you acceptance for any random reason

thats why schools have students on the waitlist

Members don't see this ad :)
So what should I do in my situation? Even if I call the school, I feel it would be almost "immature" to anticipate getting a C in a course before it happens. I was thinking of speaking randomly without including my name? Any advice would be great.

I would advise you to start doing well now and stop anticipating a C. You aren't so far into the semester, so you can start improving now. I say don't do anything that they can hold against you. Why focus on damage control instead of damage prevention? Fix it now and you won't have anything to worry about!

I would advise you to start doing well now and stop anticipating a C. You aren't so far into the semester, so you can start improving now. I say don't do anything that they can hold against you. Why focus on damage control instead of damage prevention? Fix it now and you won't have anything to worry about!

I agree! If this is a regular semester course that ends in May, I don't even understand why you are harping on this so much. Why not just get yourself together and get a B- or better? Why even put yourself at risk?

Im not aiming for a C, I'm asking the question of whether that would put me in jeopardy of losing my acceptance. I am striving for an A or B, but in the case if I do get a C or C+, I'm wondering what I should do now regarding the school or whether I should wait until its over and do nothing.

Look at it this way... .do you think a school will reject you in hopes that they can fill the spot and risk losing 50K for that year or do you think they will jus take you if you passed the course....I had this debate with someone. It is way too risky for them to decline you at that point UNLESS you absolutely sucked balls that semester and even still if you passed I can't see them revoking

Not to worry, the line of potential waitlisters could well wind around the block.

Not to worry, the line of potential waitlisters could well wind around the block.

Seriously, they couldn't care less if they revoked your acceptance. Dental schools on average have about 3000 applicants for <100 seats. They could EASILY replace you.

But on a side note, I know especially for Tufts, they state that you just need to get a C and above. If you get a C-, they have grounds to revoke your acceptance.

Just to clarify, my title was meant to say a "C", not a C-. That was just a dash I put in between without really thinking it through... But on another note, so in other words, as long as I get a C, I should be fine? It doesn't specifically state anything for Boston in terms of what grades are required.

Just to clarify, my title was meant to say a "C", not a C-. That was just a dash I put in between without really thinking it through... But on another note, so in other words, as long as I get a C, I should be fine? It doesn't specifically state anything for Boston in terms of what grades are required.

I don't know how boston is but I called MWU and asked because I'm taking anatomy and systems physio (both very hard class at UT) and wanted to make sure how much wiggle room I had with my grades. They said that as long as they aren't C-'s I would be fine and it's totally acceptable.
Hope this helps

call bu pretending to be someone else you found on bu co 2017 fb page and ask them if theyre cool with you getting a hot C in one of your classes.

Hahaha! Good one :) Azimmer, I'm wondering how exactly you presented your question on the phone. Sent you a PM!

I know they can revoke your acceptance but I would think they'd need valid reasoning. To me, if you meet the school's requirements (I.e. making at least a C in all your prerequisites or whatever) they wouldn't just then be like, "actually..never mind." But I guess anything can happen. To the OP, just call the school if you want the sure answer, lol.

I know they can revoke your acceptance but I would think they'd need valid reasoning. To me, if you meet the school's requirements (I.e. making at least a C in all your prerequisites or whatever) they wouldn't just then be like, "actually..never mind." But I guess anything can happen. To the OP, just call the school if you want the sure answer, lol.

they don't need a valid reason

even when youre in dschool you can get kicked out for some shady reason

I guess to that point, all of the stuff that they said in the acceptance email are very vague. I'm not sure if this is a general thing across all dental schools, but they say this is provisional on "being a good student". Not being specific or addressing exactly what you need to do to have an acceptance revoked. I'm not sure in whose favor this works, probably theirs?

every acceptance is conditional

ask any admissions director/dean they will say its conditional

there is a reason why schools have a loooonnnngggggg list of students on the waitlist

I understand what you're saying, but I also think it should be fairer to students who've already made the final cut to explain to them what exactly is required.

You guys all bring up good points but seriously look at the time line....they cannot ask someone on the wait list "if they would take it if they other guys is kicked".... they would have to kick you and then PRAY that come may or june when they get your mark that they can get someone within 1.5 months...keep in mind financing etc for that applicant would have to be arranged by late august which is next to impossible....if it is OOS forget about it. Im not condoning a C but I would not be worried. You have already passed the screen.