1 out of 10?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pienfoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone applied to alot of schools, say up to 10 schools, and have only gotten into 1 or 2 of'em? if so, what do you think is the factor that made a difference for those schools? thanks : D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm batting .200 so far (1/5). I haven't heard back from the other 4 schools.

the schools are very "shady" when you ask them about when the committee is going to meet. IAUPR says next week (it seems like no one else is applying there), NECO supposedly this week, SCCO supposedly the very next day, and everyone else "it's very random". Grrr i thought everyone is suppose to hear back by march that's coming right up! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: it makes people who check their emails and this site every 5 minutes (can't help it) live a very uneasy life.

Members don't see this ad :)
3/7 offered interviews...i went to 2 interviews..got into 1 school and waiting on ucbso.

hey could everyone also post which schools offered interviews and which ones didn't? Thanks : )

SUNY - rejected
ICO - under review
PCO - interview
NECO - under review
OSU - dont know
NOVA - under review

I didn't apply to 10 schools, but:
OSU-accepted
Pacific-accepted
UCBSO-accepted (on valentine's day!)

pco-accepted
ucbso-interviewed
mco-offered interview but didnt go
ico- under review
neco- under review
scco- under review
suny- rejected

In chronological order

PCO- interview - withdrew before response because
ICO- interview - accepted - then withdrew because
SCCO - interview - accepted but

Berkeley- interview - waiting

TOTALLY happy and relaxed now that this nightmare is over... I hope everyone can reach this feeling soon.

Good luck.

In chronological order

PCO- interview - withdrew before response because
ICO- interview - accepted - then withdrew because
SCCO - interview - accepted but

Berkeley- interview - waiting

TOTALLY happy and relaxed now that this nightmare is over... I hope everyone can reach this feeling soon.

Good luck.
scco - interviewed - accepted
ucbso - interviewed - waiting
suny - interview - HOLD

i agree completely..this stuff is OVER

SUNY-Rejected, straight out, no explaination
USLM-was told could not offer me an interview at this time due to my oat scores
NOVA-accepted
IU-Accepted
OSU-Accepted
ICO-Accepted
PCO-never heard back
NECO-int offered but decided not to attend

SUNY-Rejected, straight out, no explaination
USLM-was told could not offer me an interview at this time due to my oat scores
NOVA-accepted
IU-Accepted
OSU-Accepted
ICO-Accepted
PCO-never heard back
NECO-int offered but decided not to attend

wow congrats!
which one are u deciding to pick?

NECO- accepted
SCCO- accepted
Waterloo- no idea til June

Members don't see this ad :)
i applied to six

suny - accepted
pacific - accepted
ucbso - interview, waiting
neco - invitation to interview, declined
ico - invitation to interview, declined
waterloo - waiting...

i agree with the above poster. once applications are all in it's a huge relief.

I only applied to one- IU.

I got in, so I guess I have a perfect record.

PCO- interviewed- accepted
OSU- interviewed- no decision
SCO- interviewed- accepted
UAB- didn't pay the application fee because I was accepted to SCO

SUNY - rejected
PCO - interview - awaiting decision
ICO - under review
NECO - under review
NOVA - under review
OSU - rejected; didnt even look at my OAT scores
Waterloo - waiting

ICO- interviewed-waiting
PCO-interviewed-waiting
NECO-interviewed-waiting
MCO-interviewed-waiting
SCO-accepted
UMSL-accepted
NOVA-interview in March
OSU-interview in March

I turned in all of my apps by Nov and files were complete by Dec, I have had most of my interviews in jan/feb.:)

I only applied to one- IU.

I got in, so I guess I have a perfect record.
Same here. I only applied to one school, and got accepted. Then I ended up not even going. Hehe.

ICO-interviewed-waiting
SUNY-interviewed-hold
NECO-interviewed-waiting
Waterloo-reviewing

I just got back from all the interviews two days ago :)

PCO - interview - waiting
ICO - on review
NECO - interview in March
NOVA - interview in Feb
SUNY - rejected
OSU - rejected
Waterloo - waiting

SCCO - accepted
UCBSO - accepted
SUNY - accepted
ICO - offered interview, declined

NECO - interview - accepted
PCO - interview - accepted
ICO - interview - accepted

Final Decision: ICO

ICO - interviewed, waitlisted, withdrew app
UCBSO - interviewed, accepted
UH - interview offered, but I withdrew app
PCO - interview offered, but I withdrew app
SCCO - they said my cumulative GPA (2.95) needs to be 3.0. Even though my OAT is 370/370 and my prerequisite gpa is 3.4 or so. I have since brought my gpa to exactly 3.0 so I expect to hear from them in a couple of weeks, once they receive my transcripts.

scco-still on hold
neco-interview-accepted
ico-interview-accepted
nova-interview-accepted
suny-interview-on hold
uhco-on hold
umsl-on hold

ico-interview offer but i declined
indiana- interview offer but i declined
neco- interview, accepted but i declined the seat
scco- interview, accepted << attending :thumbup:

ICO - Interviewed, accepted, declined
SCO - Interviewed, accepted, matriculated
SCCO - Interviewed, accepted, declined
Berkeley - Interviewed, Waitlisted

I just have an ok GPA but got a good oat score. I have wanted to be an OD for a while now so I started working as an optician quite a wile back. I have also done quite a bit of volunteer work. I'm a little bit older and married with a kid. I think the fact that I have a family, and I have taken a hefty class load and done well helped me. We also have had some interesting optometry legal issues occuring here in CA that I have tried to keep up with. I think that also helped my applications.

It seemed to me that most of the schools: First, wanted to make sure that you are academically qualified, second, that you have some social and communication skills, and third that you are personally invested in seing this career path through and know what that entails.

ICO - Interviewed, accepted, declined
SCO - Interviewed, accepted, matriculated
SCCO - Interviewed, accepted, declined
Berkeley - Interviewed, Waitlisted

I just have an ok GPA but got a good oat score. I have wanted to be an OD for a while now so I started working as an optician quite a wile back. I have also done quite a bit of volunteer work. I'm a little bit older and married with a kid. I think the fact that I have a family, and I have taken a hefty class load and done well helped me. We also have had some interesting optometry legal issues occuring here in CA that I have tried to keep up with. I think that also helped my applications.

It seemed to me that most of the schools: First, wanted to make sure that you are academically qualified, second, that you have some social and communication skills, and third that you are personally invested in seing this career path through and know what that entails.

Only applied to 2 schools, want to stay on the West Coast and Berkeley is too competitive for out of staters...

SCCO--invited for interview (March 17th)
Pacific(#1 choice, Oregon is my home)--invited for interview (March 2nd)

My GPA isn't very good at all, but I've had a huge upswing over my last two years of undergrad. I scored well on the OAT and I do neurobiological research at my school on zebrafish retina. I hope that I can blow them away with the interviews, I really want to be an OD!!

Exphesh - do you mind sharing your stats? My first choice is SCO. :)

"Only applied to 2 schools, want to stay on the West Coast and Berkeley is too competitive for out of staters..."

I was told by Berkeley that they show no preference to in state students. Good luck at Pacific, everyone was very nice there!

JMU07
My total GPA is like 3.0 but the last two years are 3.54. OAT was 360. I'm doing research in organic chemistry, flash chromotography. I'm 30 and have wanted to be an OD for the last 9 years so I worked as an optician. I never bothered to get ABO or NCLE cert. because that's not what I planned to stay in. One thing that I think helped me is that I have worked in two corporate, a private, and a franchise office. I have been able to get to know a number of OD's in different states both good ones and bad ones. My suggestion is just do your best in your classes, don't stress, try and enjoy the profession you want to go into.

Its cool that you want to go to SCO. I was really impressed when I went for my interview at how many people in memphis are familiar with the school. I know it helps that they have a highrise just outside of downtown with their name on it, but it seems like they are really involved and visable in the city.

what a great thread....
can people post where they have also decided to go or where they would like to go?
for me...

SUNY- accepted
SCCO- interviewed- alternate list(class is full as of now)
NECO- interview next week
ICO- interview next week
PCO-interviewed- waiting
OSU- declined interview

Here we go,

OSU - interview - accepted (I'll go there)
IU - interview - accepted
SCCO - interview - waitlist
UCBSO - interview offer - declined interview

NOVA - accepted
PCO - accepted
Berkeley - accepted
SUNY - accepted & will be attending!
ICO - withdrew
NECO - withdrew

SCO - interviewed - accepted
PCO - interviewed - waiting
UHCO - under review

I was going to apply to more schools, but felt confident enough to narrow it down to just a few.. it's cheaper that way too! :thumbup:

hmm okay now that my app process is done.

IU: interview; accepted - declined
SUNY: interview; accepted
SCCO: interview, waiting list
PCO: interview, declined interview
ICO: interview, accepted (today :D )
NECO: interview, declined interview

Now to make the decision!:p

:)
hopefully PCO will e-mail this friday!!

aam0050, how long did it take for your reply from PCO?

aam0050, how long did it take for your reply from PCO?

Haven't heard from them just yet. It's been 3.5 weeks since the interview. I'll let you know when I find out if you'd like.:) oranges interviewed with me too, so we're both waiting to hear from them.

I wonder why it takes PCO so long to give a response, what are they doing? Background checks? Most school respond within a week or two

I wonder why it takes PCO so long to give a response, what are they doing? Background checks? Most school respond within a week or two
:scared: That means no e-mail for me!

:laugh: LOL JJ...

Waiting sucks