1 page for cv: does this apply to what u give LOR writings or eras?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For that 1 page cv limit i've heard being thrown around, does it refer to eras or what u give letter writers, or both? particularly w/ eras and research descriptions, impossible to make it 1 page.

Members don't see this ad.

bulldog said:
For that 1 page cv limit i've heard being thrown around, does it refer to eras or what u give letter writers, or both? particularly w/ eras and research descriptions, impossible to make it 1 page.

i heard about the same rule when i was applying. it's really not so much a rule as it is a guideline. if your cv looks crowded and messy on one page, then that's more of an issue than if you have a two-page one. similarly, if you artificially space out your cv to make it look better, then that's bad too. i'd just go for whatever looks the most crips and clean.

You do not need to keep your CV to one page. They are not meant to be one page unless you have a pathetic number of achievements. This is a resume rumor that people use in other professions for entry level jobs. Not in medicine!

You ought to have sections for academic experience, awards and achievements, extracurricular activities including leadership positions and community service activities, publications/presentations/conferences, any other qualifications, and personal data (languages, hobbies, etc.) If you can fit all that into one page, you haven't done much.

p.s. you can also include a section on your memberships in professional societies, i.e. AMSA, and if you are a medical student member of any other group like AMA, or a specialty organization, etc.

Your ERAS application is NOT a CV in the sense that those people are talking about. Plus, one page is too short for prob ably 50 to 60 percent of med school students. I would limit it to 2 unless you have a lot of research or something.

bulldog said:
particularly w/ eras and research descriptions, impossible to make it 1 page.

So are people using the entire 1020 characters to describe their research experiences? That's 4X the length of most abstracts...

No. I would still use the general rule for resume/CV writing or any kind of writing that is going to be read very quickly - be brief, concise, and clear.

If you print it up and it looks like tons and tons of text, no one is going to take the time to read it. I don't write abstracts, but it seems prudent to keep your text to a minimum while still making it very apparent what you did.