1 useful "hack" to help your medical students and residents function better on clinical wards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AttendingDocNJ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been a teaching attending for the last three and half years and I enjoy the daily interactions on the wards with the medical students and residents. I think the biggest challenge I run into on daily basis is how to get my residents and medical students to think like me.

Some may argue that this is not quite possible as I have more clinical experience and exposure to patients than the residents and that is the whole point of doing three years of residency. The training is to build up to that level of critical thinking. Also, it is a rather an uphill challenge for a 3rd-year medical student to know certain disease processes inside out and present the appropriate findings to the attending in a timely fashion.

Yet, I find these are the expectations we unconsciously set upon our medical students and the residents frequently, especially when it comes to evaluating their performances. We almost want them to function at a higher level than their year of training [i.e- for an intern to function as a 2nd-year resident, for a 3rd-year medical student to be 4th-year Sub-I] for us to be impressed by them on the rounds. If they are functioning at their year of training, our generic advice at the end of the block is to encourage them to read more. This piece of advice is not particularly helpful, but it is the most commonly dispensed advice we give to them both in-person and in our written evaluations.

I think there is a better answer here and it goes against our current approach. The biggest misconception in medicine is that gaining more knowledge is the way for our medical students and the residents to excel on the floors. That is not true as I frequently find that some of my senior residents will know much more about a specific topic such as vasculitis than me but I will be able to guide the patient care in a more efficient way. This is also NOT to say that foundational knowledge is not required as it certainly is needed to function as a doctor. I am by no means advocating for not going home and reading up on relevant patient topics. Yet, when on the floors, a good intern or medical student can be spotted when he takes a step back and looks at the whole big picture of patient care. He or she is able to identify the major obstacles in advancing day-to-day patient care and works immediately on resolving them. Let’s give an example here to put into practical terms:

Let’s imagine a 74 y.o woman with limited medical insight who presents to the hospital with a complaint of progressive shortness of breath and tachycardia and is diagnosed with acute PE in the ER. She unfortunately does not have insurance and is admitted to the hospital for heparin to coumadin bridging. An intern or a medical student will present the H&P to me in the morning and my mind is already clicking on relevant issues such as discharging the patient on coumadin with proper instructions, setting the patient up with coumadin clinic, and ensuring that the patient has proper social support to get her INRs checked regularly. Some might interject me here and say, “This is a job of a second-year resident to facilitate these issues and even prepare the interns and medical students before rounds for such matters.” My reply to that statement is good luck. The poor senior resident is already putting out fires in the morning from dealing with acutely sick patients to rapid responses to challenging patients. Or he is being called by consultants to put in a certain lab order or by radiologists for urgent findings on imaging studies from overnight. Where does the senior resident find the time unless he or she is having a slow day which I find is quite unusual at a busy hospital? Also, even if a senior resident prepares or coaches the interns or medical students on individual patients, isn’t it better to provide the framework instead so that the interns and the medical students can think on their own for such issues?

Here’s my approach and it is very simple: The medical students and the interns, even 2nd-year residents are advised to write a section called disposition as the last topic on their note after DVT prophylaxis. The disposition directly addresses the question of “What is keeping the patient in the hospital TODAY and what needs to be done for the patient to leave the hospital?” It allows or better yet, gives the intern a permission to take a bird’s eye view of the patient care for that day. More often not, interns are so busy dealing with day-to-day noise that they rarely take a moment to look at the big picture.

I have not come up with the genius idea of writing disposition and it is written commonly in ancillary staff’s notes [I bet your case management has it in his or her note]. Matter of fact, I was instructed in my residency to frequently write it and it is a tool which has always served me well. It wouldn’t be far-fetched for me to say that this approach has also saved the hospital ton of $$$$ as it has made a difference between a patient getting discharged on Friday afternoon or staying the weekend and leaving on Monday as a procedure such as PICC line placement could not be done over the weekend. [Experienced physicians will nod their head here].

I think our interns and medical students will find this “hack” useful and allow them to ask right questions to themselves to allow the patient care to move forward. If you are a physician of any level, I suggest you try it in your daily approach and see if it works for you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Dispo was a part of every IM progress note where I trained...

I always think of the trainees I work with in terms of the reporter, interpreter, manager, educator model. There is a lot of literature on the subject which may interest you. Not everyone needs to be or should be a manager at the med student/early intern level.

Reactions: 1 user
Dispo was a part of every IM progress note where I trained...

I always think of the trainees I work with in terms of the reporter, interpreter, manager, educator model. There is a lot of literature on the subject which may interest you. Not everyone needs to be or should be a manager at the med student/early intern level.
I completely agree with your comment but what I find is that often med students and interns feel lost during the day on what roles should they play outside of normal rounds. A simple bird's eye view of the patient automatically gives them an impetus to follow-up on certain labs, contact the required consultants, and think ahead. Would love to know about "reporter, interpreter, manager, and educator model structure"- do you have any particular article in mind?

Members don't see this ad :)
Problem based presentations
Acute on chronic HFrEF
- continued SOB
- I/O slightly neg with 500cc overnight
- exam findings
- diruetic
- labs/lytes
- TTE/XR
- plan cont diuretics/electrolytes etc/guideline therapy

COPD
- etc

Present SOAP per ea problem distills the essentials of learning ea dz and makes the presenter “think” about the dz management and “dispo” on ea problem - takes some getting used to.

Dispo is definitely important (also was included as a default in our notes during residency), but you really have to be vigilant in balancing thinking of dispo with making sure that the fundamentals of medical knowledge aren't be sacrificed for it, particularly for students early in their career.

For example, we also use the RIME scheme at my institution, and an issue that often comes up is that 3rd year medical students, eager to try to Honor the rotation, often try to jump to "Manager" before fully fleshing out the prior levels, thus often sacrificing a very solid concentration on the "Interpreter" level. Because being at a "Manager" level gets you Honors, sometimes medical students focus on "Manager" level tasks such as calling consults, coordinating discharges with case managers, and implementing the plan, but forgetting that they really should be taking ownership of deciding what the plan should be, which does require a very solid foundation in the gathering and interpretation of the data, formulation of differential diagnoses, evaluation of pros/cons of different diagnostic/treatment options, etc.

Since the med students often prep for rounds with their seniors, it can be easy to fall into a trap and defer on the thinking piece of the puzzle to your seniors and wait for them to tell you the plan (Ideally, of course, the good seniors and attendings don't let this happen, but you know, sometimes people get busy...)

TL;DR: Dispo is good, but don't put the cart before the horse

Thanks @rokshana. I looked at the article. We don't strictly use those terms but we use a similar approach in evaluating the progression of medical students-definitely worth adding the acronym to my repertoire-it is not that common in my neck of the woods :). Or clearly, I am oblivious to it!
@bobsmith, you make very good points but lot of educational structure falls within the timeframe of rounds which last ~2 hours daily. The rest of the time, we are not present with the med students to see what they are doing. It is even difficult for medical student to Honor the rotation if they don't know what they are supposed to be doing aside from reading up on differentials and their patients.
Dispo is obviously not an end-all and be-all but I find that it helps med students gain a bit more clarity. I find it useful in my rounds.

I tell students to always ask 3 questions (in addition to usual dz management) -

1) What is the pt getting that they shouldn’t be? (Not everyone needs O2, PT eval, speech eval)

2) What is the pt not getting that they should be? (Did you hold some meds upon admit and now they can be restarted, do they need O2, PT, HHC)

3) What is keeping pt in the hospital? (Are we waiting on blood cxs to switch to oral antibx - cant really do anything but wait, or are we waiting for home O2, PT eval, ride home etc)

I think we also need a culture change in how we teach. We do too much teaching by the 'fire-hose' or 'sink-or-swim' method. We throw an intern onto a ward and say, "Get it done, Figure it out, I'll see you in 60 minutes for rounds".

Can you imagine teaching someone how to fly a plane like that? 'He's the cockpit, here's the manual, look at the buttons, figure it out, I'll see you in 60 minutes for take-off'!

Both the new pilot and the new physician are in precarious positions, but for some reason we're more accepting of poor teaching (and thus willing to accept more risk) in medicine.

I've had attendings try to get me to add a "dispo" section because "everyone needs that in their chart" and I find it silly half the time.

A/P: CHF
Dispo: Clinical stability.

A/P: Sepsis 2/2 bacteremia
Dispo: Pending final antibiotic recommendations from ID

Sure, it's helpful when it's something that can be recognized and implemented early (Coumadin clinic or case management to verify coverage of DOACs given the initial example), but if you can think that far ahead, you should already be implementing it anyways. Same thing with early PT consults or getting IR involved for tunneled caths for either new dialysis patients or patients with clotted fistulas (or better yet, make sure it's on IR's radar to place the tunnelled cath if they're unable to declot the fistula). However, sometimes dispo plans are pushed off for clinical reasons. The COPD exacerbation has to be at least a little calmed down before you can evaluate for home O2 anyways. So home O2 might be a potential dispo issue, but it might not be something that can be immediately acted on either.

Literally was told to think (and document!) dispo as one of the first pieces of advice given to me as a MS-3 starting my medicine clerkship lol....I wonder how much the hospital/residency culture has to do with it? In my residency, the med students don't seem to know about thinking/writing down the dispo at all in their SOAP notes.

Literally was told to think (and document!) dispo as one of the first pieces of advice given to me as a MS-3 starting my medicine clerkship lol....I wonder how much the hospital/residency culture has to do with it? In my residency, the med students don't seem to know about thinking/writing down the dispo at all in their SOAP notes.

That is your fault for not teaching them as a resident.

I still have to write “dispo” at the bottom of my patient notes to remind myself when I round (trained in outpatient, first attending/consultant job in inpatient)!

I've had attendings try to get me to add a "dispo" section because "everyone needs that in their chart" and I find it silly half the time.

A/P: CHF
Dispo: Clinical stability.

A/P: Sepsis 2/2 bacteremia
Dispo: Pending final antibiotic recommendations from ID

Sure, it's helpful when it's something that can be recognized and implemented early (Coumadin clinic or case management to verify coverage of DOACs given the initial example), but if you can think that far ahead, you should already be implementing it anyways. Same thing with early PT consults or getting IR involved for tunneled caths for either new dialysis patients or patients with clotted fistulas (or better yet, make sure it's on IR's radar to place the tunnelled cath if they're unable to declot the fistula). However, sometimes dispo plans are pushed off for clinical reasons. The COPD exacerbation has to be at least a little calmed down before you can evaluate for home O2 anyways. So home O2 might be a potential dispo issue, but it might not be something that can be immediately acted on either.

From my experience there are only two dispo statuses listed in notes...

1. "Medical optimization"

2. "SW"