1 vs 2 gap years

Started by floatingribs
Tags Tags
pre med
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

floatingribs

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a nursing student pretty far into my education and currently have only completed gen bios and gen chem. I do plan on being a doctor but I originally planned to take 1 gap year, but as far as licensure goes, I'd probably have sent in my secondaries (given I get some lol) before I'm even allowed to sit for the RN exam and depending on when I get interviews (given I hopefully get some), I'll have 2-9 months of actual experience as a nurse. I do know this is the path less encouraged, especially with the lack of RN experience so is it more reasonable to take 2 gap years to gain that experience?

My grades are fine (sGPA and uGPA>3.85 so far), my clinical experience will be plenty, I'll have 2 definite research experiences, 1 poster, current intern at a hospital, 100 hrs shadowing 4 different specialties, currently have 150+ hr clinical volunteering, and 100+ hours non-clinical. I would like to start medical school as early as possible, but I don't want to hinder my chances as an applicant. (side note: does being a reapplicant hurt ones chances?)

The good thing about taking 2 gap years is that I can stick to 19-21 credit semesters vs 23-25 which is my current state + I can take my MCAT without having to worry about any classes + I'll actually have experience as a nurse. (basically I either apply at 21 vs 22 isn't the biggest factor)