1 vs 2 gap years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floatingribs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a nursing student pretty far into my education and currently have only completed gen bios and gen chem. I do plan on being a doctor but I originally planned to take 1 gap year, but as far as licensure goes, I'd probably have sent in my secondaries (given I get some lol) before I'm even allowed to sit for the RN exam and depending on when I get interviews (given I hopefully get some), I'll have 2-9 months of actual experience as a nurse. I do know this is the path less encouraged, especially with the lack of RN experience so is it more reasonable to take 2 gap years to gain that experience?

My grades are fine (sGPA and uGPA>3.85 so far), my clinical experience will be plenty, I'll have 2 definite research experiences, 1 poster, current intern at a hospital, 100 hrs shadowing 4 different specialties, currently have 150+ hr clinical volunteering, and 100+ hours non-clinical. I would like to start medical school as early as possible, but I don't want to hinder my chances as an applicant. (side note: does being a reapplicant hurt ones chances?)

The good thing about taking 2 gap years is that I can stick to 19-21 credit semesters vs 23-25 which is my current state + I can take my MCAT without having to worry about any classes + I'll actually have experience as a nurse. (basically I either apply at 21 vs 22 isn't the biggest factor)

Members don't see this ad.